PDA

View Full Version : POLL Time........For extensive scientific purposes.

CoastieCosta567
05/07/2012, 04:41 PM
This is for an extensive super weird science experiment. :D
I really want to know one thing.
Does the power mode "ON" decrease the life span of the tranny?
I think with 4K+ VX's on the road, and from 1997 till now, I think we have enough field to work with here, and this experiment should shed a really good light on this question.
Please all, collaborate and be as honest as possible, your tranny might or may not depend on it .

Ldub
05/07/2012, 04:52 PM
see if you can go back & EdIt the first two attempts...use the "delete this thread" choice...:yesgray:

CoastieCosta567
05/07/2012, 04:52 PM
see if you can go back & EdIt the first two attempts...use the "delete this thread" choice...:yesgray:

LOL, thanx Mae :bgwo:

[EDIT]Nope, couldn't. :o

pbkid
05/07/2012, 05:03 PM
I would personally be more curious if it affects the lifespan of the motor, as all it really does is allow the motor to rev all the way to red line before shifting. Generally that would be tougher on the motor than the tranny.

Please correct me if im wrong, but thats what I always understood was the purpose of the switch.

Ps- I only ever turned mine on if passing on a narrow road, or going at highway speeds up a steep hill.

blacksambo
05/07/2012, 07:24 PM
I use it in Manhattan, seems to help with manuverabilty.

CoastieCosta567
05/08/2012, 03:37 AM
i'll do one later today on the engine.

VXorado
05/09/2012, 11:16 AM
I would personally be more curious if it affects the lifespan of the motor, as all it really does is allow the motor to rev all the way to red line before shifting. Generally that would be tougher on the motor than the tranny.

Please correct me if im wrong, but thats what I always understood was the purpose of the switch.

:confused: I don't know. Definitely gives you worse gas mileage because the trans doesn't up shift as much.

The power button takes my engine to 4k-5k before shifting. I use the power button all of the time because it eliminates the hesitation of downshifting during acceleration.

Cris
05/11/2012, 08:15 AM
Yea had a change out last year but not due to the trans going bad . I was stuck in a big snow drift rocking back and fourth and yes I pulled it back into drive befor I should have and oh well you all know what happened . no forward go! 198,623 was the millage at the time of change.

VXR
05/18/2012, 07:43 PM
I would be interested to know if anyone running synthetic ATF has ever had trans failure.

89Vette
05/18/2012, 09:31 PM
What power mode does. (which has nothing to do with redline)

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewarticle&id=25

89Vette
05/20/2012, 08:50 PM
The next step would be to ask those with failures to list the specific failure...

For example...
Torque converter, gear, seals, etc...