PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Heat-Shrinkable Tubing

Virus-VX
10/11/2003, 07:09 PM
Question for you guys who deal with wiring. Does any of you use heat shrink tubing for electrical insulation? If yes, can you point me on where I can find detailed application technique (how to use/apply it!?)?
Also, is an Electrical Liquid Tape can be one of the alternatives to the heat shrink tubing?

Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated! Thanks in advance!

hitnrun74
10/11/2003, 07:19 PM
Heat-shrink is the best stuff around. Liquid tape is fine, until you move the wiring later and it cracks. Heat-shrink is pretty simple, just remember to put it on the wire before you splice :) . A heat gun is the best to shrink it, but I use a pocket torch too. Just keep the flame about 4 or 5 inches from the tube so you don't melt it. Jameco is about the best price if you're buying in bulk. I work line repair for the Telco, so I know wiring. Heat shrink is your best solution.

Virus-VX
10/12/2003, 06:46 AM
Thank you hitnrun74!
Do you know by the chance where I can easily buy it? What stores?
Thanks again!

Hotsauce
10/12/2003, 08:48 AM
I'm using silicone tape, self vulcanising. it takes much more heat than shrinky tube.

John C.

Virus-VX
10/12/2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
I'm using silicone tape, self vulcanising. ....

Thanks for your input Hotsauce!
I thought about silicone tape as an alternative to heat-shrinkable too. Since both ends of my wires are already welded to devices I would probable consider silicon tape instead of heat-shrinkable tubes. Will ask my electrical engineer tomorrow at work to take a look at my setup …

Moncha
10/13/2003, 08:07 PM
The other alternative.. Do a google for PC mods.. There's lots of braided wire cover and shrink wrap available..

BTW.. Why do you have a Jeep as your avatar?

johnnyapollo
10/13/2003, 08:20 PM
If you only need a few pieces of shrink tube, you can buy the packs in various diameters at Home Depot in the electrical department. Only a couple of bucks and very accessible.

-- John

Virus-VX
10/13/2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
... BTW.. Why do you have a Jeep as your avatar?
Because I’m a guest here and I drive 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. One friend of mine is an active member of this respectful community and he drives VX.

Thank you Moncha for your suggestion!

Moncha
10/13/2003, 08:38 PM
Cool no harm meant.. Glad to have someone from another around. I like the PC sotes because you can get just about any color youcan imagine. Even UV reactive!

sveltax
10/14/2003, 06:51 AM
I use heat shrink, you can also shrink it with a sodering iron.

WormGod
10/14/2003, 08:35 AM
Speaking of solder, when I do stereo mod work, I like to drop some solder beads on the bare wire ends when connected and then shrink tube them. Your best bet for a strong and reliable connection. A tad bit of extra work, but very well worth it.

hitnrun74
10/14/2003, 08:52 PM
here here ---solder is king

Virus-VX
10/15/2003, 05:20 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for your thoughts and suggestions!
I appreciate your responses!