PDA

View Full Version : Fullsize spare question

housertl
05/07/2012, 11:06 AM
I searched, but couldn't find anything that addressed this specific question. What exactly is the limiting factor to carrying a stock full size spare in the rear door? Tire diameter, tire width, or weight? Since Tom4Bren has a fullsize on his door, weight doesn't seem to be the problem, and I think there is enough room diameter wise to fit a stock tire in the door.

My thought is to get a "plain-o" steel wheel and mount a 245/70-16 in place of the donut, but I think the cover won't fit back on since the 245 is about 3" wider than the spare. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

tom4bren
05/07/2012, 12:01 PM
Earlier this year, I noticed that my door is not closing properly. I found that the upper hinge is tearing loose from the door. I'm not carrying the spare on the door at the moment until I find a fix for the hinge problem. I'm pretty sure that the door can handle the weight if a wedge is placed under the door while closed to limit the bouncing that would occur.

Of course for all I know the door & hinges were holding up fine but something happened to it while the door was open one time.

I just haven't dug into it yet to come up with the ultimate solution since I can't run around without a rear door. I've got vt_maverick's old door now so hopefully I'll get started on it very soon.

Yer right though, the cover won't fit with anything larger than the OEM donut.

VXorado
05/07/2012, 01:21 PM
Of course for all I know the door & hinges were holding up fine but something happened to it while the door was open one time.

So far, my hinges are holding up with the 35" tire/hi lift. I think the lower support bumper helps and I'm also very careful when I have the door open.

What exactly is the limiting factor to carrying a stock full size spare in the rear door? Tire diameter, tire width, or weight?

If you have stock sized tires, I would pull one and test fit it in the door. I think you'll have issues because the width of a stock tire definitely won't fit in the door and I believe the lower part of the spare cutout goes into the bumper area. This would prevent the door from closing because your bigger spare would be mounted too low to clear the bumper. Also, if you were able to get the door to close, the wider tire would take up cargo space.

Good luck, seems like a nice challenge if you're up for some custom work :yeso:

Riff Raff
05/08/2012, 06:07 AM
Here's the very best carry solution for a FS spare:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18343

Carry it vertically upright in the right-rear location of the cargo area. It minimizes cargo area impedance and diagnolly counter-weights the driver sitting in the driver's seat. In addition, it maintains the clean aerodynamic's of the VX (good MPG) by not having it on the roof as a wind-catcher and doesn't tweek the rear door hinges over a prolonged period of time if mounted on the rear door.

:bgwb:

pbkid
05/08/2012, 06:49 AM
Here's the very best carry solution for a FS spare:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18343

Carry it vertically upright in the right-rear location of the cargo area. It minimizes cargo area impedance and diagnolly counter-weights the driver sitting in the driver's seat. In addition, it maintains the clean aerodynamic's of the VX (good MPG) by not having it on the roof as a wind-catcher and doesn't tweek the rear door hinges over a prolonged period of time if mounted on the rear door.

Bahaha, did you say good mileage in the VX riff?

Now thats funny right there!!!

But, yes, you will lose some of your already terrible mileage by adding a kite to the roof or door....

housertl
05/08/2012, 07:45 AM
I had looked at that mounting, Raff, but the only way I could figure it to work would be to replace the back seat with a single bucket; I have to be able to transport my kid. Not sure if I want to do that.

VXorado
05/08/2012, 12:00 PM
Housertl, I'm with you about keeping the VX a four seater. All of my additions to the VX make sure that I have seats for the little ones someday.

What about just mounting the tire vertically behind the rear seat? It might just fit and the only downside would be the loss of cargo space.

VXorado
05/08/2012, 12:03 PM
But, yes, you will lose some of your already terrible mileage by adding a kite to the roof or door....

Haven't really noticed a change of gas mileage with the tire on the door. My gas mileage was bad before and it's bad now. :bwgy:

blacksambo
05/08/2012, 06:18 PM
Bahaha, did you say good mileage in the VX riff?

Now thats funny right there!!!

You know with the summer gas coming on, my wife and I are clocking close to twenty mpg average. That's not so bad.

Ldub
05/08/2012, 07:18 PM
You know with the summer gas coming on, my wife and I are clocking close to twenty mpg average. That's not so bad.

Since you list no off road mods, or mods of any kind for that matter...(going by what I see in your profile)that sounds about right...:_thinking

What's your point...:_confused

nocturnalVX
05/08/2012, 07:43 PM
I used to get 19 MPG... when my VX was not set up for off-roading (a long long time ago) .

RickOKC
05/08/2012, 07:45 PM
HA! I removed my rear seat and mounted my spare vertically similar to Rowhard (thanks for the inspiration, buddy! :thumbup:) I love it but, WHEW!, it took about 2 months before the STANK started wearing off and the interior didn't smell like a tire store! ;puke: :laughing:

blacksambo
05/08/2012, 08:36 PM
Since you list no off road mods, or mods of any kind for that matter...(going by what I see in your profile)that sounds about right...:_thinking

What's your point...:_confused

No point other than most people denigrate the VX for poor government-listed "gas guzzler" mileage. I see plenty of brand new models not offering much more than 20 mpg, highway. I think the VX brand new was EPA stickered at just 19 mpg highway. We're doing much better than that with mixed city/country usage, in 13 year old equipment; so don't downplay the VX mileage, up-play the fact that it really does better than the original EPA estimate measure, that's all.

tom4bren
05/09/2012, 04:44 AM
... not having it on the roof as a wind-catcher and doesn't tweek the rear door hinges over a prolonged period of time if mounted on the rear door.

My plan is to make a carrier that uses the receiver hitch & holds the spare where my door mount used to.

Riff Raff
05/09/2012, 05:19 AM
My plan is to make a carrier that uses the receiver hitch & holds the spare where my door mount used to.

Tom, don't re-invent the wheel. There are already various forms of receiver hitch style spare tire carriers on the commercial market. Click-on the link below and then hover your cursor-pointer over the desired image and it will give you a follow-on link of where to purchase the item or gather additional information.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=b1ie7&va=receiver+hitch+spare+tire+carrier

tom4bren
05/09/2012, 08:57 AM
Tom, don't re-invent the wheel. There are already various forms of receiver hitch style spare tire carriers on the commercial market. Click-on the link below and then hover your cursor-pointer over the desired image and it will give you a follow-on link of where to purchase the item or gather additional information.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=b1ie7&va=receiver+hitch+spare+tire+carrier

Yah, seen all of those. Trouble is, I won't be happy with it unless it's perzakly what I want so I've already resigned myself to re-inventing the wheel (or at least the wheel carrier).

It hasta: fit tight against the rear door, easily flip down for access to hatch, not move during driving, never rattle, replicate the receiver for the SuperBumper, have a lighted license plate mount.

Riff Raff
05/09/2012, 04:29 PM
Here's a couple for your consideration made by TireGate:

http://tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

The only thing I don't like about the swing-out version (TireGate-I), is that the tire is NOT centered on the back (it's off to the left-side) but it does have the thru-put receiver hitch and lighted license plate.

The TireGate-II version (bottom of link) is very simple, stout, and centered. However; it needs to have a "pivoting" L-bracket with removable security pins, so the tire can be tilted completely downward and rest on the ground without having to remove it from the receiver hitch (so the rear cargo hatch door can be opened/closed). The TireGate-II version would also need a thru-put receiver hitch and lighted license plate to complete the unit.