PDA

View Full Version : My VX Story

CatFish
05/05/2012, 12:38 AM
My VX Story: (It is a long read so get ready to read, I hope you like it)

Chapter 1:

In this universe and not that long ago, I fell in love with the VX it was 1999 but could not afford to get a new car of any kind so I decided to wait to get a VX when I could pay cash. I looked again around 2006 and the price was still higher than I wanted to pay. I had all but forgotten about ever owning one until I started to look for a replacement vehicle for my beloved Trooper, it was getting old so I started to look around to see if I could find something as good as the Trooper. I looked at Toyota’s, Nissan’s Ford’s and Chevy’s. I looked at Trucks and SUVs and could not find anything as good and as inexpensive as my good ole’ Trooper, I was disheartened and very disappointed that a 96 Trooper was still better than most of the newer stuff I looked at, so I went home and thought what do I do? I thought about getting an old 4X4 of some kind and fixing it up but I have done that and was not in the mood to wait a year or more again for another SUV I am going to use as a driver and weekend 4X4. Then I had an epiphany! So I said to myself, hey self you should get the VX! You have always wanted! I then I agreed with myself and said YES! I have waited long enough and have saved enough money to get a good one. I then became focused (aka obsessed) with getting the VX I always wanted.
This is when my VX quest began. I looked locally and found one with 56K, so I went to look at it and settled on a price of $8,500 with the owner and a time to do the purchase at the bank, then an hour before the meeting time they called to tell me they changed their mind and did not want to sell the VX. My hopes and dreams were dashed and I was back on the hunt. (More focused then before)

Chapter 2:

I then decided to join the forum and began to look high and low; I got offers from members to sell me their VXs and had a lot of help from many of the members to find the elusive less than 60K VX of my dreams. I had to have a one owner low mile VX as I have had many cars I got and then fixed up so this time I was determined to treat myself to a nice and new to me VX, with less than 60k on so I could start with a clean (almost) slate.
I looked locally for a month or more with no luck, I looked on the forum but most of the VXs had more miles on them than I wanted to start with, so I started to look farther away from home, then VX member that knew I was looking (Jheyson) came across a VX I had somehow missed on CL and sent me a email about it. I was looking at one in NY at the time and I was almost ready to commit to buy it for $10,500 and take my chances on it even though it was so far from home and in a place I was totally unfamiliar with. The VX he found was in OC CA and was a one owner VX with 48K on it, I could not believe it was true and stunned he only wanted $8,150 for it. I know what you’re thinking, the same thing I thought, this cannot be real who has a 48K VX for $8,150? There has to be something seriously wrong with it right? Well I said can’t hurt to call so I did and after talking to the guy I felt I just had to take a chance, so I asked him if he would hold it for me if I committed to buy it and he said yes. (No deposit just good old fashioned on my word and his) so I took a leap of faith and bought plane tickets for me and my husband and we went to CA to get my (hopefully dream VX) it was almost impossible to contain my enthusiasm at this point, but somehow I managed it.

Chapter 3:

We arrived at the John Wayne airport on 4/27/12, got a rental car and when to the hotel, the next morning we met the seller and saw the Vx in person for the first time. Both windows did not work and it had a few interior problems but it was as I thought it would be, in average condition and needed a little work but it was worth the price. Everything else was in working order, it did not have the Isuzu engine tick and the A/C worked great, so the window problem was not a big deal. We then went to the bank and did the transaction, and the VX was mine. It was not meticulously maintained but still good. I then went to then local mom and pop auto shop to get the oil changed and found the serpentine belt was old and cracked so I had it replaced and we were ready to drive home. We left CA on Sunday and made a road trip vacation out of the drive. We took the old route 66 for part of the trip and that was cool. The first stop was the Hoover Dam, then we went to the Petrified Forest, Mesa Verde then stayed the night in Durango before taking the long way home through Silverton and Oury CO, seeing some of the most spectacular views I have ever seen even though I have lived in CO all my life. We arrived back in Denver on Wednesday 5/2/12 with no problems and had a great trip. Here are a few pictures of the trip, if you want to see more go to the photobucket page here.
http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/

End of long story, I hope you liked it.

Chris

The Ebony VX is mine now! I am so happy, thanks to all that help in my quest.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0163.jpg
Hoover Dam
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/66VX.jpg
Route 66
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0577.jpg
Silverton to Oury
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0757.jpg
Before and after Back to Black on the cladding
If your cladding looks like mine did you should try the Mothers "Back to Black" it works great!

VX KAT
05/05/2012, 12:56 AM
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0163.jpg
Hoover Dam
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/66VX.jpg
Route 66
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0577.jpg
Silverton to Oury
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/RedChristine/VX/DSCN0757.jpg
Before and after Back to Black on the cladding
If your cladding looks like mine did you should try the Mothers "Back to Black" it works great!

Wow, congrats on getting your baby! Looks great, and the scenery is awesome too!

FYI the Back to Black has to be reapplied after almost every wash or rain.
Several of us have discovered a "dye" product called Showroom New (SN) that's permanent. It absorbs in, doesn't rub off or wash off. It's not a coating either like Rhinoliner etc..)
I did mine about 15 months ago and haven't touched it with anything since. looks exactly the same as day 1 (except where I scuffed and chipped the crap out of the door sill). So last month I just touched up that area with a little more SN. There's a really detailed thread on it, may want to check it out for the future.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19927&highlight=showroom

CatFish
05/05/2012, 01:27 AM
I did see the show room new product and I do plan on trying it as I can see how the back to black might not keep the black color but my cladding as so dry I thought I would condition it with back to black first to get the oxidation off and then see how responded and then try SN if it did not hold.
Thanks for for the info I am open to anything that will preserve and restore the cladding.

Wow, congrats on getting your baby! Looks great, and the scenery is awesome too!

FYI the Back to Black has to be reapplied after almost every wash or rain.
Several of us have discovered a "dye" product called Showroom New (SN) that's permanent. It absorbs in, doesn't rub off or wash off. It's not a coating either like Rhinoliner etc..)
I did mine about 15 months ago and haven't touched it with anything since. looks exactly the same as day 1 (except where I scuffed and chipped the crap out of the door sill). So last month I just touched up that area with a little more SN. There's a really detailed thread on it, may want to check it out for the future.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19927&highlight=showroom

evillecutter
05/05/2012, 06:08 AM
congrats! - dont forget to check the oil!

Ldub
05/05/2012, 08:01 AM
congrats! - dont forget to check the oil!

X-2...:dance:

Also, Meguiars makes a pretty good product (http://www.detailing.com/store/meguiars-gold-class-trim-detailer.html) that will outlast Mothers B2B.

You'll know it when you find it on your local autoparts shelf...pop the top, it smells like grape jelly...:drool:

CatFish
05/05/2012, 10:18 AM
Yes checking of the oil, I am used to doing that. I have had 5 Isuzus and most of them have burned some oil. The 96 Trooper I have now burns about a quart every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. It does not leak out either, I think that is a lot but is does not smoke and passes emissions well below the requirements; I am guessing it burns up in the cat or maybe it just magically disappearing oil.
I am so happy to finally have my VX I cannot wait to get the parts I ordered for the windows and get it back together. Also the ABS light is on and the emissions place wont test it with light on so I will need to find out what is wrong and fix it or take the light out temporarily to get the emissions test and the VIN verification so I get get my title and plates.

Y33TREKker
05/05/2012, 11:02 AM
Second those thoughts on the Durango-Silverton-Oury drive, and I have to admit that I still get jealous when I hear residents talking about living in Colorado. I've lived and worked in Longmont, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Peublo, and to this day still sometimes kick myself for ever leaving for other "jobs". Live and learn though. Thanks for sharing your story. Never get tired of hearing about road trips like these.

MSHardeman
05/05/2012, 04:35 PM
Way to go Catfish. Good to have another Colorado VXer around, and another Ebony to boot. If you don't/can't make Moab in a week, then we'll definitely need to get a COVX meet together sometime this summer. Lots of good folks.

Also, with a name like Catfish, where are you from originally? Everytime I see your name it brings me back to fish fries when I was growing up in South Louisiana. YUMMMM!!!

VXorado
05/05/2012, 07:06 PM
Congrats, she's a beaut'

If you don't/can't make Moab in a week, then we'll definitely need to get a COVX meet together sometime this summer. Lots of good folks.

+1, not to late for Moab :bgwo:

CatFish
05/05/2012, 11:32 PM
I am from Denver, I was born downtown at the old St. Luke hospital, so I am as native as it gets. The CatFish is the VX, the first time I saw it I thought it looked like a bad Azz catfish with fangs, so CatFish is my VXs name. I do also like a good plate of fried catfish and maybe some alligator too, I do like Cajun food. MMmmm.

I would like to go to Moab but I just took 3 days off work to go to CA and get the VX so I will have to wait until next year as I have to put some of my work on hold for the trip so now I am behind on my work and need to catch up, I also have a dead line the week of Moab so no dice this year.

I would like to meet up with the locals sometime soon, maybe when you guys get back from Moab. I am waiting on the metal window tabs so I can put the doors back together so I should have that done and the plates and title work done by the time you guys get back.

ThisGuyIndy
05/06/2012, 02:37 AM
Awesome awesome awesome! Congrats from one new VX owner to another! Owner for 6 weeks now :)

tom4bren
05/07/2012, 04:40 AM
X-2...:dance:

Also, Meguiars makes a pretty good product (http://www.detailing.com/store/meguiars-gold-class-trim-detailer.html) that will outlast Mothers B2B.

You'll know it when you find it on your local autoparts shelf...pop the top, it smells like grape jelly...:drool:

That stuff does work good on the cladding but you have to be real careful not to get any on the paint. That's one of the things I like about B2B - you can be messy & not cause a problem.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot. Grats on your purchase CatFish. I feel for you though. It's hard to have that beast sitting in your driveway waiting on title & tags. I had mine for 2 weeks before I could drive it.

H3_VX
05/07/2012, 05:33 AM
That stuff does work good on the cladding but you have to be real careful not to get any on the paint. That's one of the things I like about B2B - you can be messy & not cause a problem.

x2!

evillecutter
05/07/2012, 08:50 AM
x2!

glad i read this - i use the b2b but was gonna switch to see if it would be a little more permanent- im pretty liberal with the b2b and get it on the paint quite often then just wipe it off no big deal - i would have put the mcquire's on the same way - once again this site saved me from another headache

CatFish
05/07/2012, 08:30 PM
I cannot wait to get the windows fixed and get my plates so I can start driving my sweet new VX around. I also need to get the ABS light problem fixed, but other than that it should be ready to go soon.

JMNY
05/08/2012, 06:28 AM
Congrats! I am really happy for you...I know how badly you wanted a VX. Hopefully one day I will join you! I lost out on mine by a few hundred dollars. I just did not have the extra cash. Good luck!

CatFish
05/08/2012, 08:00 AM
Yes I am happy to have my VX, sorry you missed out on the last one. I see there are a bunch near you maybe one of them is the one. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=170&subAreaID=&query=vehicross&catAbb=sss

Congrats! I am really happy for you...I know how badly you wanted a VX. Hopefully one day I will join you! I lost out on mine by a few hundred dollars. I just did not have the extra cash. Good luck!

jheyson =)
05/09/2012, 08:39 AM
Hey Chris!!!!!!:):):)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Your new VX looks awsome.
I guess i don't need to check out the vx in NY for you anymore hehe.
I remember the excitment of owning a vx for the first time....it is pure happiness ^^ ....Well, hope you enjoy your VX........

Have a great day!!!
... congrats again !!

Jheyson,

CatFish
05/19/2012, 12:09 AM
Chapter 4:

Update on my new VX, after getting the VX home I started to work on the non-working windows, yes both windows were not working. I need to say that this was the "WORST WINDOW REPAIR EVER" or attempted window repair, and I have done a few on other cars. I took them apart and found the passenger's side had the tabs broken off and the drivers side had multiple problems. I bought the metal replacements parts from streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) and they were good and worked great to fix the broken tab problem. However there were other problems that needed to be addressed, the tracks were too tight so I widened them as suggested in the many window fix threads, then they still did not work as good as they should so I tried the bungee trick and that did not help in my case and made the motors work too hard. I then tried the slotting of the rail mounting holes and that did help, then I trimmed some of the messed up weather stripping and that made it better. Basically I tried everything listed in this thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22345 and some of it worked to make the windows better but they still are not right but do work. I see now that I need to replace the weather stripping as it is just too messed up from being smashed and left under the glass in the wrong position for so long it wants to slip under the glass every time I roll the windows up that it is now most of the problem. Does anyone know where to get new window weather stripping? Or if you can even get them anymore?

I have also started to re-new the faded and dry cladding, and I am cleaning, polishing and waxing the neglected and sap covered paint. So far it is looking pretty good. I will post a thread of parts I will need to get it back to the condition I feel it should be in and what I will be happy with. The interior is in pretty good shape but need cleaned and conditioned as did the whole car I do not think they cleaned or waxed the VX in the last 10 years, but it is still in good shape.

Chapter 5:

I finally got the VX to the Colorado emissions testing station so I can get my VIN verification and the emissions test, when I got there I went to the all-wheel drive lane and waited about 45 minutes and I was almost up to the testing lane before a guy comes out and tells me “we cannot dyno this car because the wheel base it too short so we will need to just tail pipe test it” so he pulls me over to the regular lane to test it, the first thing I thought was why did you let me sit the the long line this whole time when you knew you were going to tail pipe it? I could have been in and out a half hour ago. Has anyone had their VX dyno tested on CO or anywhere else? He said the minimum wheel base is 95” for the all-wheel drive bay and the VX is 92” so is this just at this testing station or is this standard? I am hoping to get my plates on Monday, I hope that goes well with the CA title, I have not done an out of state title transfer before. I do have all the necessary paper work so it should go good, I hope.

So far there have been a few things to fix and refurbish but nothing I can’t handle and I am overall pretty happy with the VX and I feel it was a good deal at less than $8,200 for a 47k 2001 vehicle.

evillecutter
05/19/2012, 01:33 PM
is that streetboutique guy still in business? ive tried to email him a few times with no success and his website looks kinda shady and hasnt been updated in 4 years - and wow all that testing sucks for once im glad to live in indiana where they dont even look at our cars at all as far as emissions go - but then again, we dont have any fresh colorado air either...

yellowgizmo99
05/19/2012, 02:46 PM
you can still get the weather stripping from Merlin. I got some last year.

VX KAT
05/20/2012, 09:20 AM
is that streetboutique guy still in business? ive tried to email him a few times with no success and his website looks kinda shady and hasnt been updated in 4 years - and wow all that testing sucks for once im glad to live in indiana where they dont even look at our cars at all as far as emissions go - but then again, we dont have any fresh colorado air either...

you can still get the weather stripping from Merlin. I got some last year.

Yes, Tim Parker who owns Street Boutique Customs is still in biz and will make the metal items. He used to own a VX, and I even had him install my metal tabs. He's also an inventor of several things and does some gold panning equipment that he's patented.
He's a great guy and it's not a shady biz or anything like that.

The window strips are called "a glass run" and are still avail new from Isuzu (Merlin's our parts contact). Just like Gizmo, I bought new ones from Merlin, think they were about $60-$70 each IIRC. My rubber was also very messed up, distorted and even cut in pieces...so a new one (or used) is a good idea. Remember to lube the inner channel with something like pure silicone spray.

evillecutter
05/20/2012, 06:41 PM
thanks again :)

CatFish
05/21/2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks yellowgizmo99 and VX KAT, I sent in a request to Merlin for the glass runs this morning. I will let eveyone know if they are still availabe and if I get them.

I also can say the new metal tabs I got from
streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) were great they worked good and he got them to me quick, I ordered them on a Friday and got them on the next Wednesday. Great service and product.

VX KAT
05/21/2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks yellowgizmo99 and VX KAT, I sent in a request to Merlin for the glass runs this morning. I will let eveyone know if they are still availabe and if I get them.

I also can say the new metal tabs I got from
streetboutique@hotmail.com (Tim Parker) were great they worked good and he got them to me quick, I ordered them on a Friday and got them on the next Wednesday. Great service and product.

I've found Merlin doesn't really use email much, so you probably should try to call him to order stuff, he can also give you availability.

Here's the St. Charles parts website. It lists the same prices Merlin gives us. The glass run is part #2 in schematic.
http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/4/4628365.gif

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / DOOR / GLASS & HARDWARE / Run channel
run channel Right

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$92.93 $0.00 $78.99

[ 2 ] BODY HARDWARE / DOOR / GLASS & HARDWARE / Run channel
run channel Left

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$92.93 $0.00 $78.99

CatFish
05/21/2012, 03:43 PM
I ordered the Run Channel (aka door glass weather stripping)
The price was $78.99 each which was fine with me I am just happy they are still around for me to buy.
VX KAT you were correct, I did need to call Merlin they do not seem to responed to the email parts requests. So if anyone wants parts from them you need to just call them and ask for Merlin.

Now I need to find the plastic part the holds the window/lock buttons on the driver side, I will go to the garage sale section and look for a used one.

VX KAT
05/21/2012, 04:03 PM
I ordered the Run Channel (aka door glass weather stripping)
The price was $78.99 each which was fine with me I am just happy they are still around for me to buy.
VX KAT you were correct, I did need to call Merlin they do not seem to responed to the email parts requests. So if anyone wants parts from them you need to just call them and ask for Merlin.

Now I need to find the plastic part the holds the window/lock buttons on the driver side, I will go to the garage sale section and look for a used one.

It's like $70 new (without any of the electronics).
I have a driver's side one with a very slight crack, that's not visible when installed.
Check out this thread, item #7. Let me know if you're interested.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=244594&postcount=1

CatFish
05/21/2012, 07:26 PM
Mine is in about the same condition so it would not do me any good to get that one I would like to get one in better condition. Thanks for the offer though.

It's like $70 new (without any of the electronics).
I have a driver's side one with a very slight crack, that's not visible when installed.
Check out this thread, item #7. Let me know if you're interested.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=244594&postcount=1