PDA

View Full Version : how many are left?

evillecutter
04/25/2012, 08:20 AM
we all know that blue book value is a joke - things sell for what people can get for them - with the vx it was amazing to me that i could get one as cheap as i did - its an awesome vehicle and its little quirks i think just add to its unique personality

my question is this: has anyone ever tried to do a count of how many of them are actually still on the road? and even if that number is close to how many were actually produced worldwide what is stopping all the current owners from making the vx worth as much as we want to? any other limited production vehicle that is worth a crap goes up in value every year not down - if we all refused to sell our vx's for less than $20,000 regardless of condition, they would all be worth at least $20,000 would they not? - just a thought

housertl
04/25/2012, 08:29 AM
Just an argument to play devils advocate; I once had a conversation about comic book values with my Dad. He told me that if I can't walk into a comic book store and sell an issue "valued" by the price guide at $100 for $100, it isn't worth $100. Sure, we could unionize and standardize the price at $20k, but until they were selling at that price consistently (as opposed to just one poor schmuck who overpaid), then the value wouldn't be at that level.

evillecutter
04/25/2012, 08:43 AM
look at classic muscle cars - i have a 68 firebird and they made whole lot more of those than they did vx's - every year my car gets worth more and more - why, because every year there are less and less of them on the market - of course if you go to a resale shop you arent going to get what you could out of anything compared to retail - they have to make a profit - which always made me wonder why people traded their cars in for nothing at a dealer - the dealer tells you hes giving you so much for it but in actuality he is giving you half of what he tells you and taking the rest off of the msrp which he would do anyways if you haggle - anyways, i see your point but you also have to be able to see mine - its hard for something so rare and so cool to keep depreciating in value - no other cars in history have - anyways, i agree for this to work all owners would have to be unanimous, but with today's technology i dont think it would be that hard to get 4000 people on the same page

Y33TREKker
04/25/2012, 08:50 AM
Just an argument to play devils advocate; I once had a conversation about comic book values with my Dad. He told me that if I can't walk into a comic book store and sell an issue "valued" by the price guide at $100 for $100, it isn't worth $100. Sure, we could unionize and standardize the price at $20k, but until they were selling at that price consistently (as opposed to just one poor schmuck who overpaid), then the value wouldn't be at that level.
And to play devils advocate to that, yes we could unionize and standardize our ASKING prices at $20k, but we'd also have to show the solidarity and consistency that included being willing to PAY $20k when we (as current or past owners) were looking to BUY one.

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 09:22 AM
And to play Devils advocate X3 !

We've all agreed to a 20K minimum...

...but then I get ill/need money for kids education/etc ..etc..
...as WILL happen.

POOF!

End of price fixing....

jo

evillecutter
04/25/2012, 09:32 AM
And to play Devils advocate X3 !

We've all agreed to a 20K minimum...

...but then I get ill/need money for kids education/etc ..etc..
...as WILL happen.

POOF!

End of price fixing....

jo

20k was just a random figure - sky's the limit when you cant buy something new anymore - just watch a barrett jackson auction - insanity

Breezy
04/25/2012, 09:33 AM
I would love to have sold at 20k lol, but life gets in the way for waiting and waiting for someone wanting to spend so much.

eternal21
04/25/2012, 09:34 AM
Don't know, but I get stopped *all the time* about it (now that it has been lifted and has appropriate wheels/tires on it), and people a) tell me that they've never seen one before and/or b) ask me what dealership I picked it up from and how much it costs *lol*

Dunno about y'all, but I'd sell my E90 M3 before I sold my VX.

evillecutter
04/25/2012, 09:37 AM
Don't know, but I get stopped *all the time* about it (now that it has been lifted and has appropriate wheels/tires on it), and people a) tell me that they've never seen one before and/or b) ask me what dealership I picked it up from and how much it costs *lol*

i took all the isuzu badges off and tell them its a lamborghini and if you have to ask you can't afford it

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 09:50 AM
Ummm...

i took all the isuzu badges off and tell them its a lamborghini and if you have to ask you can't afford it

...perhaps its you who cant afford the Lambo :p

The 20k..or whatever price really doesnt matter......
By its very nature, the VX attracts individualistic owners.....

......... getting all owners to agree, would be like herding cats.

Getting them all to STICK TO THAT AGREEMENT......:_brickwal

jo

Y33TREKker
04/25/2012, 10:32 AM
What would be so hard about getting all owners to agree to wanting to SELL at $20k? As can be read by anyone when looking into NADA, KBB, Edmunds, etc, those prices/values are simply suggestions for current market pricing, but exotics, collectibles, and otherwise unique vehicles (such as the VX) are actually beholding to no such guidelines. Something that's already been mentioned, Barret-Jackson, is a prime example.

It's not about VX buyers being individualistic, it's the being willing to BUY at that same $20k that has been and most likely always will be the glitch in the scenario where the VX is concerned. Buying low and selling high is obviously what everyone who wants to view themselves as a savvy consumer prefers, but the simple fact is that it runs counter to what is being proposed in this thread.

rsteinmetz70112
04/25/2012, 10:34 AM
Part of the reason muscle cars sell for so much is the people buying them now wanted one when they were in high school and couldn't have one. These cars also have more of a mind share in the culture because they were mass marketed.

The VX was always a specialty and never garnered the reputation when it was new that people really remember it. There is also a huge difference between a car 43 years old and one barely 10 years old. In 1979 or 80 I doubt a 69 Firebird was worth all that much. You can still probably find a few well worn ones pretty cheap, that's where all of the new builds come from. It would be interesting to plot the price of a car like that over time and see when they stopped depreciating and started up. I wonder what a VX will be worth in 2043?

I never liked the Firebird's much anyway. I was always more partial to the 66/67 GTOs :yeso:

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 11:01 AM
Well Trekker, I figured this was hypothetical fun banter...
...hence the "cat herding"

We've already experienced other areas where VX owners
dont agree on things, even some for the common good.

But hey ...if you say its not so hard ......

...have at it.

Consider me member #1 in the price fixing club.....
....and I'll give ya 10% of the 20k I get for my VX...

.... for your trouble :p

jo

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 11:03 AM
X2...

Part of the reason muscle cars sell for so much is the people buying them now wanted one when they were in high school and couldn't have one. These cars also have more of a mind share in the culture because they were mass marketed.

The VX was always a specialty and never garnered the reputation when it was new that people really remember it. There is also a huge difference between a car 43 years old and one barely 10 years old. In 1979 or 80 I doubt a 69 Firebird was worth all that much. You can still probably find a few well worn ones pretty cheap, that's where all of the new builds come from. It would be interesting to plot the price of a car like that over time and see when they stopped depreciating and started up. I wonder what a VX will be worth in 2043?

Yup

Jo

evillecutter
04/25/2012, 11:37 AM
still havent got an answer on how many might actually be left out there... there was what, 6000 total between us and japan? i know just by looking through the archives on this website that quite a few have been scrapped - prob no way of knowing for sure but i cant help thinking about it

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 11:51 AM
I think it was around 5950 ish total made..
...of which 4150 ish came to the USA.

It would be great to know how many are left in the USA.

Maybe we have an auto insurance expert here that knows
the average yearly attrition rate percentages for vehicles :_thinking

Jo

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 12:03 PM
Any mathletes out there?

OK..its Aussie stats..but hey, should be close.

Attrition rate

The estimated proportion of motor vehicles taken off the register since the previous MVC (Motor Vehicles Constructed). The attrition rate is also referred to as the motor vehicle retirement or scrappage rate. The number of registration lapses is calculated by adding the total registrations at the earlier MVC to the number of new motor vehicle sales between the MVCs, and subtracting the total registrations at the later MVC. The attrition rate measures the number of registration lapses as a percentage of the total potential vehicle fleet, where the potential vehicle fleet is the number of registrations at the first MVC date plus the number of new motor vehicle sales between the two MVCs. To calculate the annualised attrition rate as a percentage apply the following formula:

Formula wont paste, but its here:-

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/9309.0Glossary131%20Jan%202011?opendocument&tabname=Notes&prodno=9309.0&issue=31%20Jan%202011&num=&view=

where T1 is the number of registrations at the first time point, N1 is the number of new sales between the first and second time points, T2 is the number of registrations at the second time point and M is the number of months between the two time points.

Have at it.....:_brickwal

Jo

blacksambo
04/25/2012, 12:11 PM
The point you are all missing is the size of the market for what you've got to sell. Fixing the price is meaningless without seekers. Nobody knows what a VX is, therefore hardly anybody wants one, therefore the price is less than the $20K.

I've always said the VX needs a book written about it. Once that's done, more people will know it and want them, and viola the price will shoot up, naturally.

Y33TREKker
04/25/2012, 01:28 PM
Well Trekker, I figured this was hypothetical fun banter...
...hence the "cat herding"

We've already experienced other areas where VX owners
dont agree on things, even some for the common good.

But hey ...if you say its not so hard ......

...have at it.

....and I'll give ya 10% of the 20k I get for my VX...

.... for your trouble :p

jo
That seems to be where you're misunderstanding what I'm currently saying jo. WE AREN'T DISAGREEING that everyone here would be only too eager to ask $20k for their VX if they were selling.

I'm merely adding that past actions have indicated that some here invariably seem to also want it both ways; ie: buy low - sell high, and it just doesn't work that way. When WE buy low, WE lower the market values of our own vehicles plain and simple.

You want to keep disagreeing with me just to be disagreeing even though we're actually agreeing, have at that. :p

CoastieCosta567
04/25/2012, 01:45 PM

jo

x2, i'll be a member as well. :D

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 04:03 PM
:fyi:.......

You want to keep disagreeing with me just to be disagreeing even though we're actually agreeing, have at that. :p

......it seems I often fail to get your drift.

jo

H3_VX
04/25/2012, 04:04 PM
The point you are all missing is the size of the market for what you've got to sell. Fixing the price is meaningless without seekers. Nobody knows what a VX is, therefore hardly anybody wants one, therefore the price is less than the $20K.

I've always said the VX needs a book written about it. Once that's done, more people will know it and want them, and viola the price will shoot up, naturally.

EXACTLY!

A ton of VX's sit on the market for months. Hell, i've seen a few sit on market for over a year before. Fact of the matter is, I estimate a 0.000000000000001 chance that VX's will ever sell for anything close to $20K at this point. The people searching for an Isuzu, much less an Isuzu nobody even knows exists is very few and far between. Although, I own one car that Jay Leno says will be highly sought after in 50 years. :p Anyway, I'm sort of glad that the values of VX's won't reach $20k. I would not have been able to buy one like I did, and would certainly not have a shot at getting another in the not too distant future.

Also, if I had to guess, I would venture that 500-700 are out of commission. Anyone else care to venture a guess.

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 04:37 PM
Are you talking worldwide...or USA?

Also, if I had to guess, I would venture that 500-700 are out of commission. Anyone else care to venture a guess.

It would be really interesting to know...

Hence I put up the Equation/Formula info for a good 'guesstimate'.

I hope some one here attempts it.

I'll do Gross / Net / % profit and GRM's etc in my head all day..

...but equations leave me :_brickwal

jo

H3_VX
04/25/2012, 04:46 PM
Are you talking worldwide...or USA?

It would be really interesting to know...

Hence I put up the Equation/Formula info for a good 'guesstimate'.

I hope some one here attempts it.

I'll do Gross / Net / % profit and GRM's etc in my head all day..

...but equations leave me :_brickwal

jo

I was talking world. What do you think the # is?

blacksambo
04/25/2012, 04:47 PM
It would be safe to say after 13 years half are left, but many of them are in bad states of repair. Many will fall by the wayside in the very near future; the engine must be maintained, oill use -wise, and replacement motors are difficult to afford.

vt_maverick
04/25/2012, 04:53 PM
Without calling each state's DMV and verifying active registrations your guess is as good as anyone's. After running less than half the Foxfire VINs through AutoCheck I was surprised at how many were still active. I'd bet 90% or more are still on the road more than a decade later.

x3 on stein's comments above, very well put.

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 04:59 PM
Well...

I was talking world. What do you think the # is?

...I really dunno!!

6000 originals worldwide...with an ownership that in general might be a bit more dedicated...

..I'd guess 300 ish.

Thats essentially one VX getting wiped out every two weeks worldwide.

:confused:..:_thinking..:confused:

Jo

H3_VX
04/25/2012, 07:17 PM
Well...

...I really dunno!!

6000 originals worldwide...with an ownership that in general might be a bit more dedicated...

..I'd guess 300 ish.

Thats essentially one VX getting wiped out every two weeks worldwide.

:confused:..:_thinking..:confused:

Jo

Yeah, thats a good estimation. I don't think its as bad as some people think.

89Vette
04/25/2012, 07:27 PM
The first thing that needs to happen is people (especially here) need to stop slamming Craigslist and eBay sales.

There is some truth to the "I bought one low." argument. People wanna brag about what they paid for a car (or any item) and convince others they should get in on that "bargain". While it can boost your own image, morale, or club-president status, it also advertises that you feel your purchased product is bargain-quality. IOW cheap.

Corvette owners do the same thing. They'll knock down and criticize (even owners of nice) specimens being sold. They'll down-grade what should be paid for it -- feeling they're doing the buyer a big favor. Problem is, they're shooting themselves in the foot for their own resale.

Those same people complain about the value of their Corvette's generation.

In one/two threads here, people have been quick to criticize my sharp reply while they can't see their same criticism directed toward sellers of their own "club" of vehicle.

In my opinion, the owners of "special" vehicles need to advertise, promote, and encourage sales to get better pricing. Either you think it's a great vehicle...a one of a kind...that's a special club worth getting into....OR, you need to realize you're bashing down the value of what you/yourself owns.

The problem from my perspective is you're also devaluing what I own too. And, I don't care for it. OTOH, it's ludicrous to think you can jump from currect values to $20k overnight. You can, I think ask a 10%-20% higher price and try to get it.

I remember an eBay selling a certain low-mileage FoxFire who sold it for less than I believe it was worth. Within a month later, we saw one with similar mileage/condition go for $1500 more. That's the margin I'm talking about.

One of these days, I think the price should start going up. And, it could be now. It takes the people who have good quality units to ask what their worth and wait. MPG might be the biggest detriment to cars of this caliber but it's not THAT bad if you keep the unit in good shape. I remember what the original FORD Broncos got...and it wasn't pretty.

There's a certain cost associated with driving something special. Please consider communicating that to your next buyer. Please consider that you do own something that's a rare part of automotive history.

Vendetta
04/25/2012, 07:55 PM
See, unless someone hands me life-changing money, I'm never going to sell so I won't have to deal with this. Like ever.

-V

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 08:04 PM
X2....

See, unless someone hands me life-changing money, I'm never going to sell so I won't have to deal with this. Like ever.

-V

....tru dat, wot he said.

jo

Power Wagon
04/25/2012, 08:17 PM
If y'all do that I'll never be able to get one!! LOL

Power Wagon
04/25/2012, 08:18 PM
And as much as I like them I wanna be able to get one!

blacksambo
04/25/2012, 08:33 PM
It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at this stage in the game. Here's why (and I don't like these dynamics personally because a lot of good folks mean well), the lower the selling price the lower the eschelon or financial strata that get involved with a marque. This spells doom for the VX, as they can't really afford to maintain them, and at the same time seek to attempt great; too great of feats for a twenty year old design. The inevitable consequence is mechanical failures galore, and no money means to repair. The reamains are consigned to the bone yard. VX KAT has eighty five wrecks on her active list and counting. It's sad but true. I'll never forget when a now desceased friend of mine back in 1972 was offered a complete basket case Type 3 Bugatti for $3500 bucks, and he declined, that's a multi-million dollar car today. Life is strange and cruel, accept it.

circmand
04/26/2012, 06:06 AM
that Obama allowed our VXs to be included in the cash for clunkers program. Several were consigned to never being restored because it was illegal and the engines were trashed so parts were not usable either

evillecutter
04/26/2012, 06:08 AM
Any mathletes out there?

OK..its Aussie stats..but hey, should be close.

Attrition rate

The estimated proportion of motor vehicles taken off the register since the previous MVC (Motor Vehicles Constructed). The attrition rate is also referred to as the motor vehicle retirement or scrappage rate. The number of registration lapses is calculated by adding the total registrations at the earlier MVC to the number of new motor vehicle sales between the MVCs, and subtracting the total registrations at the later MVC. The attrition rate measures the number of registration lapses as a percentage of the total potential vehicle fleet, where the potential vehicle fleet is the number of registrations at the first MVC date plus the number of new motor vehicle sales between the two MVCs. To calculate the annualised attrition rate as a percentage apply the following formula:

Formula wont paste, but its here:-

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/9309.0Glossary131%20Jan%202011?opendocument&tabname=Notes&prodno=9309.0&issue=31%20Jan%202011&num=&view=

where T1 is the number of registrations at the first time point, N1 is the number of new sales between the first and second time points, T2 is the number of registrations at the second time point and M is the number of months between the two time points.

Have at it.....:_brickwal

Jo

you just completely blew my mind

evillecutter
04/26/2012, 06:10 AM

this is an excellent idea and a book i would buy

blacksambo
04/26/2012, 07:20 AM
We can all write it together, and with electronic publishing, it won't cost us much to distribute. Every Kindle and Nook could access it, easy.

Y33TREKker
04/26/2012, 07:45 AM
:fyi:.......

......it seems I often fail to get your drift.

jo
FYI.....admitting it is the first step.

blacksambo
04/26/2012, 08:00 AM
Play nice guys.

rsteinmetz70112
04/26/2012, 01:33 PM
I did a similar exercise last year and came up with approximately 2300 still on the road (if I remember correctly).

Vendetta
04/26/2012, 01:42 PM
I did a similar exercise last year and came up with approximately 2300 still on the road (if I remember correctly).

I'd be surprised if there were many more than this left on the road. Have to consider how many were lost by drivers who thought they were as unstoppable as they looked.

Consider also how many accidents we've heard about from members here in just the past few months.

-V

circmand
04/26/2012, 02:06 PM
I'd be surprised if there were many more than this left on the road. Have to consider how many were lost by drivers who thought they were as unstoppable as they looked.

Consider also how many accidents we've heard about from members here in just the past few months.

-V

But most of them were reported as being repaired

rsteinmetz70112
04/26/2012, 02:08 PM
My Calculation was based on an attrition curve I found on the Internet somewhere, so it has to be right.

twalker920
04/27/2012, 12:24 AM
I write when I have time, and I have been looking for a topic. I have written auto articles before for a couple places, and some other piddling stuff (nothing that made any money or got any recognition). And here I have the most well informed resources possible.

You guys think I should take a crack at a VX book? Is anyone else going to? I would need help setting up the theme/format (story format, reference format, chronological or topical, etc)...then I'd have to find the time to crank out a draft that you lot can proceed to rip to pieces.

Regarding how many are left though, I would think close to half have fallen by the wayside just because of location (i.e. rust in coastal areas), lack of care for non-enthusiasts, and the typical life of a car on American roads. You can't assume the majority of original purchasers were VX "enthusiasts" because there by definition couldn't have been any when they came out. Sure people bought them because they appealed to them at the time, but they wouldn't all have been seen as future collectibles or rarities by most purchasers. And in 2001 not many people could or would have looked up that only 4150 of them were imported to the US. That's a luxury of information we have at our fingertips now.

I guess the research for a book might give us the whole story.

Vendetta
04/27/2012, 04:34 AM
...You can't assume the majority of original purchasers were VX "enthusiasts" because there by definition couldn't have been any when they came out.

Can't speak about the majority, but I was most definitely an "enthusiast" when I purchased. And I've got a file full of the pre-launch marketing materials to show for it. I'd be surprised if I were the only one.

-V

blacksambo
04/27/2012, 05:30 AM
I've been saying book quite some time now. We have the knowlege, just need the muscle to "Git R Done". Then the world will know what we've got. There was a book in Japan, a long time ago. Does any body have a copy we could translate?

I write when I have time, and I have been looking for a topic. I have written auto articles before for a couple places, and some other piddling stuff (nothing that made any money or got any recognition). And here I have the most well informed resources possible.

You guys think I should take a crack at a VX book? Is anyone else going to? I would need help setting up the theme/format (story format, reference format, chronological or topical, etc)...then I'd have to find the time to crank out a draft that you lot can proceed to rip to pieces.

Regarding how many are left though, I would think close to half have fallen by the wayside just because of location (i.e. rust in coastal areas), lack of care for non-enthusiasts, and the typical life of a car on American roads. You can't assume the majority of original purchasers were VX "enthusiasts" because there by definition couldn't have been any when they came out. Sure people bought them because they appealed to them at the time, but they wouldn't all have been seen as future collectibles or rarities by most purchasers. And in 2001 not many people could or would have looked up that only 4150 of them were imported to the US. That's a luxury of information we have at our fingertips now.

I guess the research for a book might give us the whole story.

evillecutter
04/27/2012, 06:33 AM
apparently the main designer of the vx also designed quite a few other popular vehicles - i think when most people that hear that the vx was produced in low numbers they automatically assume that is because it was flawed or useless or just didnt sell well, but if people knew the true story of why they were limited and that it was done on purpose it might enlighten a few more auto enthusiasts to join our cause - or if nothing else it might raise the percentage of people who know what they are from 3% to 4% - either way its a book i would buy - and has anyone ever tried writing a letter or email to a car show like gears or something about the vehicross? might be able to get someone like that to do a lot of the research for you - and imagine what could happen to a vx if someone had that type of budget to put towards the mods...

rsteinmetz70112
04/27/2012, 07:36 AM
Given how few there were it would not be impossible to build a database to try to capture all all of them. (Google Docs or something?)

As to the numbers built I'm pretty sure if it had taken of Isuzu, would have made more.

evillecutter
04/27/2012, 07:57 AM
Given how few there were it would not be impossible to build a database to try to capture all all of them. (Google Docs or something?)

As to the numbers built I'm pretty sure if it had taken of Isuzu, would have made more.

from what ive heard isuzu couldnt make more because the molds were hand carved and then the dies then made of ceramic - ceramic is only good for a limited number of impressions before it wears out - so unless the artist who carved the original body could reproduce the exact carvings again (unlikely) they could never ever be the exactly the same as the vx we all know and love - on top of that there was so much spent on r&d they couldnt possibly have make the dies out of steel and still sell the vx new for anything close to affordable - also heard another rumor about the reason isuzu made the vx was to get people into the showroom so they would be impressed by isuzu's technology but then end up buying one of the more inexpensive models like a trooper or rodeo - like a promotional item of sorts
--but of course i have no way for sure of knowing if any of these are true

circmand
04/27/2012, 11:18 AM
from what ive heard isuzu couldnt make more because the molds were hand carved and then the dies then made of ceramic - ceramic is only good for a limited number of impressions before it wears out - so unless the artist who carved the original body could reproduce the exact carvings again (unlikely) they could never ever be the exactly the same as the vx we all know and love - on top of that there was so much spent on r&d they couldnt possibly have make the dies out of steel and still sell the vx new for anything close to affordable - also heard another rumor about the reason isuzu made the vx was to get people into the showroom so they would be impressed by isuzu's technology but then end up buying one of the more inexpensive models like a trooper or rodeo - like a promotional item of sorts

You wouldn't need a new carving. You could make a reverse mold of the mold then recreate the mold itself from the reverse. And even if they werent the same it could be explained away by claiming a new look after 3 years. However given that the VX didn't sell that great (I bought my 2001 VX in June 2002) That means there were still new VXs for sale (Ifound 60 when looking for $23,995) when the 2003 models were coming out. So sitting on a lot for 2 years before selling is not want a dealer expects.

VXR
04/27/2012, 11:18 AM

Most (if not all) of that is true:yesb:

Vendetta
04/27/2012, 11:32 AM
"Cars, prepare for extinction (http://www.wildtoys.com/vehicross/images/VX_98_brochure_front.jpg)" read Isuzu's intimidating introduction to the VehiCROSS.

And evolution may indeed have favored the SUV over the last decade. But the VX, our beautiful mutation that arguably started the trend of aggressively-styled production sport utes, was itself, "deselected."

If it sold well enough, it would not have been discontinued. Period. Regardless of stamping materials or technology or whathaveyou, Isuzu would have figured out a way to not sunset a successful model.

For my part, I'm glad they were a limited run. I've gone literally YEARS without seeing another on the road. Makes me appreciate not only what I've got, but also the people who share my pride in owning a rarity like ours.

Cheers, people.
-V

Y33TREKker
04/27/2012, 02:19 PM
Wasn't original MSRP sticker price somewhere around $35k too? That couldn't have helped much at the time when it came to high sales numbers.

These days it would probably be a different story when relatively run of the mill vehicles can be in that same ballpark, so seeing as how I found a very nice example when I did for what I considered a fair price given it's condition, my thought is to just chalk it all up to the VX stars aligning in my favor at the right time.

Should the stars align again in the future positively affecting the value of my VX even better, but for now I'm satisfied with the way things have turned out.

evillecutter
04/27/2012, 02:27 PM
i was talking to the janitor at my daughter's school a few weeks ago and he said he actually worked at an isuzu dealership when they first came out and people went crazy over them but didnt want to buy one because they were around 35k and everyone was worried the cladding would look like crap after a few years - he even said at his dealership they priced it above msrp because they liked having it in the showroom to draw people in - didnt think to ask where that dealership was but he did say it was silver and he only remembers them having one and noone bought it while he worked there

JoFotoz
04/27/2012, 03:35 PM
Well said...X2

For my part, I'm glad they were a limited run. I've gone literally YEARS without seeing another on the road. Makes me appreciate not only what I've got, but also the people who share my pride in owning a rarity like ours.

Never was a mass produced mustang/taurus/camry/explorer type ;puke2;

Gimme something a bit unique every time......:thumbup:

jo

Y33TREKker
04/27/2012, 04:46 PM
i was talking to the janitor at my daughter's school a few weeks ago and he said he actually worked at an isuzu dealership when they first came out and people went crazy over them but didnt want to buy one because they were around 35k and everyone was worried the cladding would look like crap after a few years - he even said at his dealership they priced it above msrp because they liked having it in the showroom to draw people in - didnt think to ask where that dealership was but he did say it was silver and he only remembers them having one and noone bought it while he worked there
Was that an Evansville Isuzu dealership? If so, it would have to be the one where a girl I knew from high school bought her '01 Proton. She was actually trying to sell it when I was in the market for a VX, but I obviously ended up going with an Ebony.

evillecutter
04/27/2012, 05:43 PM
i'll ask next time i see him but i do remember him saying it was silver - i didnt talk to him long but it sure seemed to put a smile on his face seeing mine and remembering that one

VXR
04/27/2012, 10:36 PM
it would not have been discontinued

it was not discontinued:nob:

they made as many as they initially intended to:yesb:

Vendetta
04/28/2012, 09:28 AM
Of course, it's called hedging a bet. Despite all their marketing bluster about cars becoming extinct and the VX taking over the world (not happening with 6,000 or so units), they said officially it was a proof of concept for a new manufacturing method using cheaper but shorter-lived ceramic stamps.

But if it flew off the dealers' lots, as opposed to languishing there for years in some cases, you can be certain they would have "intended" to make more of them.

-V

89Vette
04/28/2012, 07:54 PM
You're forgetting that Isuzu had a bad name for the Trooper rollovers. I think this was a major part of the Isuzu failure in America.

While the Isuzu's enjoyed moderate success in the 4x4 infancy, the Jeep/FORD market was able to capitalize.

You may point out (and rightly so) that the Ford's also had issue's with hwy rollovers. But, they were successful in pointing the finger at Bridgestone. So, they recovered.

Trooper had no scapegoat. The brand was damaged. Whether the lack of advertising or something else, I don't think they did enough to save the brand.

It could be that reliablity and/or fuel enonomy issues didn't help either. People tend to buy America unless their preferred vehicle class has a better foreign model in terms of reliability/economy ratings.

In my jaded view of things, I also think corporate giants would never pass up on the opportunity to continue making money on a product. OTOH, I don't know much about the mold method desribed here. At least not in terms of production costs and how profitable/costly the VX might have been. So, the issue of continued production might not be so clear.

I'd like to think of the VX as an under-advertised icon of the Isuzu era....as a vehicle worth more than the sum of it's parts. In the Chevrolet community, I'm sure they could manufacture and sell Corvettes for much less than they do. But, their goal is to create an icon...a legend...to boost the brand name of Chevrolet. In doing so, they can make money for the brand without every car sold actually BEING a Corvette. Obviously, people have different needs for a vehicle.

In the case of a small 2-door "performance" 4x4, I'm not sure Isuzu was positioned as the brand people wanted to be associated with...especially being a foreign brand associated with the 4x4 rollover era. But, that doesn't mean the Vehicross couldn't have been something much bigger -- if the right advertising campaign had been in place.

I know the Isuzu brand name never was sold on me. I didn't by a VX because it was an Isuzu...I did so despite that. It's the first foreign vehicle I've owned since I was very young. Granted, it's made from some heavy Chevy heritage....but I never would have know that w/o coming to this forum.

blacksambo
04/28/2012, 11:14 PM
Of course, it's called hedging a bet. Despite all their marketing bluster about cars becoming extinct and the VX taking over the world (not happening with 6,000 or so units), they said officially it was a proof of concept for a new manufacturing method using cheaper but shorter-lived ceramic stamps.

But if it flew off the dealers' lots, as opposed to languishing there for years in some cases, you can be certain they would have "intended" to make more of them.

-V

Never wanted to make more of them. They made 5K for FIA homologation production rally-entry purposes period. They won several stages of Paris Dakar rally before running out of basic parts and retiring. They also were the overall class winner of the Australian Safari Rally. As for languishing sales, the VX was $30K plus in the USA, with two semi-useless entry doors for the back seat. Of course they knew this fact. Families, unless they were rich stalwarts could not use them. It's also true that inspite of winnimg Japan Car of The Year in 97/98, only 600 could be sold there (120 million people live in Japan). It was an exclusive car right from the get go. It was for a select audience and never intended for mass consumption. The ceramic dies were for time saving production, strictly. Get it out there and race and win, over and out. Hope a few collector types grab a few, because we are not making any more. You'll notice Isuzu still makes most all parts available to us if we are willing to pay. Isuzu is the biggest diesel engine builder in the world, but still enjoy the VX halo effect because of its racing and award winning exploits. The VX continues to be good business for them. This web site attests to that fact.

JoFotoz
04/28/2012, 11:55 PM
So..the Cliff notes.

I love my VX

:thumbup:

Yup...

Jo

Ldub
04/29/2012, 07:56 AM

-V

Never wanted to make more of them. They made 5K for FIA homologation production rally-entry purposes period.

I think you missed the point being made.

blacksambo
04/29/2012, 08:12 AM
What point is being missed???

89Vette
04/29/2012, 08:42 AM
I think it's because you seemed to support V's point....

As for languishing sales, the VX was $30K plus in the USA, with two semi-useless entry doors for the back seat. Of course they knew this fact. Families, unless they were rich stalwarts could not use them. It's also true that inspite of winnimg Japan Car of The Year in 97/98, only 600 could be sold there (120 million people live in Japan). It was an exclusive car right from the get go. It was for a select audience and never intended for mass consumption.

Seems like both you and V feel the lack of higher sales were a result of the limited audience that would be interested...and probably due to the lack of common family leverage for a 2-dr with hindered back-seat entry. Combined with the price tag, that couldn't have helped.

If the demand were there, more would have been made.

The question is why was their a lack of demand. I think you answered it -- for you.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 09:03 AM
What point is being missed???

I highlighted/underscored V's point, which you quoted, as clearly as I could...mebbe I should have increased the size of the font a little more...:_thinking

If the demand were there, more would have been made.

BINGO!

blacksambo
04/29/2012, 09:19 AM
Okay let's get something straight here. Isuzu bragged in their ads about the VX being hand assembled, for instance. Now does that sound like a car they really wanted to make lots of? You know in the twenty-first century, tens of thousands of hand assembled cars??? No, it defintely says limited production only on this model. Think about it, it's illegal to bait and switch, so you can't make VX's by hand for a while, advertise this salient fact and then start making thousands with robots and still claim to have the same car. That would be some other car , altogether. Also, they bragged about the limited use ceramic dies. Now does that sound like they could make a lot of them? Emphatically, no! They put the brakes on the VX production ceiling coming on to the market, period.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 09:32 AM
Okay let's get something straight here. Isuzu bragged in their ads about the VX being hand assembled, for instance. Now does that sound like a car they really wanted to make lots of? You know in the twenty-first century, tens of thousands of hand assembled cars??? No, it defintely says limited production only on this model. Think about it, it's illegal to bait and switch, so you can't make VX's by hand for a while, advertise this salient fact and then start making thousands with robots and still claim to have the same car. That would be some other car , altogether. Also, they bragged about the limited use ceramic dies. Now does that sound like they could make a lot of them? Emphatically, no! They put the brakes on the VX production ceiling coming on to the market, period.

If they were flying off dealer lots as fast as they were being produced, you can bet a paycheck that they'd have produced more molds & continued on their merry way...mebbe by rebadging as VXII, or some other way...they'd have figured it out...that's how business does business...:yesgray:

If you wanna bang that tired old Isuzu drum to the exclusion of reality, that's your business...:thumbup:

Enjoy

Speaking of how business does business...I just discovered an expiration date on a bar of soap...:confused:

Do I believe that I'll get no bubbles the day after it expires?...NO

Do I believe that my pits will not get clean after expiry?...NO

Do I believe that they'd like me to believe that, & buy more soap?...YES

blacksambo
04/29/2012, 10:08 AM
Well you obviously don't understand big business, you can't change you basic premise and expect to stay in business, for too long. First, you'll be sued, second you loose tremendous credibility with everybody especially the auto motive press (there is no bar soap press so you get a little more leeway here) because you've all too conveniently changed your tune, now that things look more opportunistic. Big business just doesn't operate that way, especially General Motors or Ford. They go off course in their messging, they get sued but good and the press damns them to death, they are big easy to hit targets. VX was hand assembeled, a major selling point, you just can't eventually work your way around that fact.

But more to the general point, large vehicle manufacturers do not try new models out for sales potential in miniscule numbers and then build thousands more the next year if it attracts sales. They launch new models on a large scale and hope for the best. I don't know of any hand-assembled trial level new model experiments in the big-player car industry in the past fifty years. We're talking about the age of mass production here, especially for General Motors. The VX was production-wise inachronistic, at best, and too terribly impractical for everyday use to ever be a sales volume contender. Face it you own an experimental vehicle, that destined for a limited elite audience . It wasn't supposed to win the popularity contest. If it could have, it would have been a failure at its intended purpose and would have never got off the initial drawing board.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 10:29 AM
Always happy to agree to disagree...:yes:.:flower:

Your beliefs are your own, as are mine.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 10:31 AM
But more to the general point, large vehicle manufacturers do not try new models out for sales potential in miniscule numbers and then build thousands more the next year if it attracts sales. They launch new models on a large scale and hope for the best.

Nobody here ever claimed otherwise...:_confused

The point being discussed began with "IF"...it was hypothetical...:yesgray:

bumblebee
04/29/2012, 10:51 AM
Watch this video and you'll never want to sell your VX. History of the vehiCross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkacZvcB7Q

89Vette
04/29/2012, 12:11 PM
Well you obviously don't understand big business, you can't change you basic premise and expect to stay in business, for too long. First, you'll be sued, second you loose tremendous credibility with everybody especially the auto motive press (there is no bar soap press so you get a little more leeway here) because you've all too conveniently changed your tune, now that things look more opportunistic. Big business just doesn't operate that way, especially General Motors or Ford. They go off course in their messging, they get sued but good and the press damns them to death, they are big easy to hit targets. VX was hand assembeled, a major selling point, you just can't eventually work your way around that fact.

But more to the general point, large vehicle manufacturers do not try new models out for sales potential in miniscule numbers and then build thousands more the next year if it attracts sales. They launch new models on a large scale and hope for the best. I don't know of any hand-assembled trial level new model experiments in the big-player car industry in the past fifty years. We're talking about the age of mass production here, especially for General Motors. The VX was production-wise inachronistic, at best, and too terribly impractical for everyday use to ever be a sales volume contender. Face it you own an experimental vehicle, that destined for a limited elite audience . It wasn't supposed to win the popularity contest. If it could have, it would have been a failure at its intended purpose and would have never got off the initial drawing board.

Very well put! This is more the way I've view this icon of Isuzu...a prototype encouraged into production to promote the brand. I have to suspect it would have been lengthed (to accomodate 4-dr or at least better rear entry) if it were intended for large-scale production. Plus, the rear tire issue and the smallish cargo space also lend themselves MUCH MORE to the concept aspect of the platform vs. true intention for production.

I bought mine simply because it was intended to be conceptual. Concept vehicles aren't something the "average" person gets to buy everyday either!!!! Obviously, it wasn't intended to be "practical". But, it's real world performance in baja/off-road events prove it isn't just another "pretty face". Trying to extrapolate a concept run into production viability just seems a stretch to consider. More importantly, I've no idea why anyone would take this discussion there.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 12:49 PM
Trying to extrapolate a concept run into production viability just seems a stretch to consider. More importantly, I've no idea why anyone would take this discussion there.

My original point, or hypothesis, if you would, was, (in a nutshell):

"I think they would have found a way to lengthen the production run (to make more), had there been a huge demand, & they were flying off the lots."

I then, was agreeable to disagreement...:flower:

Most of what's been said in reference to my opinion, has been extrapolation...:yesgray:

At least that's one word for it...:smilewink

Oh...I forgot...:mbrasd:

I mentioned soap too.

VXR
04/29/2012, 01:13 PM
Your beliefs are your own, as are mine.

ya but yours are wrong:laughb:

Ldub
04/29/2012, 01:18 PM
ya but yours are wrong:laughb:

Most beautifully & eloquently stated...:yesgray:...:thumbup:

I see capital letters & commas in your future...:yes:

VXR
04/29/2012, 02:00 PM
Most beautifully & eloquently stated

thanks

VXR
04/29/2012, 02:13 PM
More importantly, I've no idea why anyone would take this discussion there.

X2 I don't know why people want to want talk about what if sales were better:_confused

it does not change the fact that the VX is a limited production vehicle as intended:yesb:

and back to the point how many are left...

vt_maverick
04/29/2012, 02:45 PM
I'm interested to know WHO would sue Isuzu. In order to sue someone you need to be able to demonstrate that you suffered damage in some way - financially, physically, emotionally, etc. If Isuzu switched to conventional dies and automated production and then stopped advertising the ceramic/hand-built piece who exactly is damaged enough to sue? I think the false advertising / legal liability argument is a serious stretch.

Ldub
04/29/2012, 04:02 PM
Very well put! This is more the way I've view this icon of Isuzu...a prototype encouraged into production to promote the brand.

No disagreement... most everyone around here knows it was a "halo" vehicle designed to create a "buzz", & get bodies into the showroom...:yesgray:

I have to suspect it would have been lengthed (to accomodate 4-dr or at least better rear entry) if it were intended for large-scale production.

Ummmmmm...:_thinking

They DID produce a 4 dr prototype(VX-4), so...:_confused

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/511/7vx-04_tenuously_built_on_a_stretched_rodeo_frame.jpg

I have NO idea what they were thinking, since I wasn't at that meeting...:laughing:

They also produced the VX-2 as a prototype...again...:_confused

I can't possibly know what they had in mind with all this prototypical behavior...:_thinking
But I AM kinda digg'n the Cal-Mini style frt cross member & the roof scoop...:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/7my_car______vx-2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/izcon03.jpg

Thanks to Anita for the pics...:thanx:

blacksambo
04/29/2012, 05:00 PM
I'm interested to know WHO would sue Isuzu. In order to sue someone you need to be able to demonstrate that you suffered damage in some way - financially, physically, emotionally, etc. If Isuzu switched to conventional dies and automated production and then stopped advertising the ceramic/hand-built piece who exactly is damaged enough to sue? I think the false advertising / legal liability argument is a serious stretch.

I worked in the ad industry for ages. It's a big no no to start one line of reasoning behind a product and then change, without major red flag caveats all over the place. The ad industry is regulated by the Federal Trade Commision , in DC. They initiate law suits as do watch dog consumer protection organizations. General Motors has been sued by these organizations countless times and lost big time. No way they'd take the chance for their Isuzu Division.

But again, nobody launches a new model behind a hand assembled experimental concept. It's just not done, these days. Isuzu wanted to go racing and needed 5000 copies to warrant a production car class position on the grid.

blacksambo
04/29/2012, 06:16 PM
Let me add one extra bit of perspective that may help. The VX beta test was Japan, in 97/98. They sold 600 to 120 million people, roughly half the USA pop at the time. If they thought that was a problem they would have never come to the USA with the VX, because the test would have translated into roughly 1200 units in the USA, a dismal flop for a mass production go ahead goal. Instead, they kept on building and eventually between Australia and the USA, at discounted pricess fulfilled their promise to the FIA and eaked out the neccessary approx 5000 units, all the dies could stamp out before losing quality.

Cobrajet
04/29/2012, 07:09 PM
large vehicle manufacturers do not try new models out for sales potential in miniscule numbers and then build thousands more the next year if it attracts sales. They launch new models on a large scale and hope for the best. I don't know of any hand-assembled trial level new model experiments in the big-player car industry in the past fifty years. We're talking about the age of mass production here, especially for General Motors.

How about the 1964 Pontiac GTO?

"Frank Bridge, who did not believe it would find a market, insisted on limiting initial production to no more than 5,000 cars." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_GTO

VXR
04/29/2012, 07:34 PM
Isuzu wanted to go racing and needed 5000 copies to warrant a production car class position on the grid.

interesting info:yesb:

TheGanzman
04/29/2012, 07:48 PM
I wonder how many VX's are left...;)

Ldub
04/29/2012, 08:04 PM
Instead, they kept on building and eventually between Australia and the USA, at discounted pricess fulfilled their promise to the FIA and eaked out the neccessary approx 5000 units, all the dies could stamp out before losing quality.

So where did the extra fenders, hoods, & quarters come from, that they were required to produce for replacements, you know...to be sold in the US, Auastrailia, & Japan...:confused:

Since you're supplying the figures, & I'm OBVIOUSLY ignorant of how big business does just that...business, perhaps you could enlighten me...:thanx:

Also, I could use more enlightenment on the facts presented in this post (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=256741&postcount=81)...:yesgray:

Ldub
04/29/2012, 08:07 PM
I wonder how many VX's are left...;)

All the ones shipped to the US...:yesgray:

The others were shipped to Japan & Austrailia.

89Vette
04/29/2012, 08:40 PM
Ummmmmm...:_thinking

They DID produce a 4 dr prototype(VX-4), so...:_confusedI have NO idea what they were thinking, since I wasn't in that FOCUS GROUP!!!:laughing:

Fixed! :bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb: (They were eating Milky Ways, drinking Coke, and grunting about the desires of concept car buyers!!!)

But I AM kinda digg'n the Cal-Mini style frt cross member & the roof scoop...:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/izcon03.jpg

Thanks to Anita for the pics...:thanx:

Ldub
04/29/2012, 08:46 PM
[quote=Ldub;256741]Ummmmmm...:_thinking

They DID produce a 4 dr prototype(VX-4), so...:_confusedI have NO idea what they were thinking, since I wasn't in that FOCUS GROUP!!!:laughing:

I was expecting SO much more from you...:(

Even being able to work the quote function properly woulda been better...:smilewink

At least YOU are usually able to come up with an intelligent counter...:confused:

Oh well...sleep on it...:sleepgray

89Vette
04/29/2012, 09:00 PM
I was expecting SO much more from you...:(

Even being able to work the quote function properly woulda been better...:smilewink

Fixed...See if it makes more sense now.

Excuse: Typing left-handed while petting friendly cat.

Vendetta
04/29/2012, 09:54 PM
Unbelievable.

Another thread lost to pettiness and posturing. It would be impossible for me to reply in any meaningful way without:
1.) unintentionally insulting one or more members,
2.) either charging tuition or literally wasting several hours, and
3.) causing downstream trouble for Moncha.

Nothing is held more tightly than a challenged belief. Except a challenged wrong belief.

This act is getting old fellas.
-V

VXR
04/29/2012, 11:18 PM
Unbelievable.

Another thread lost to pettiness and posturing. It would be impossible for me to reply in any meaningful way without:

Nothing is held more tightly than a challenged belief. Except a challenged wrong belief.

-V

and another futile post:rollb:

VXR
04/29/2012, 11:24 PM
The others were shipped to Japan

how many were shipped to Japan:laughb:

Ldub
04/30/2012, 05:57 AM
how many were shipped to Japan:laughb:

Sorry, that shoulda read:shipped to Oz, & STAYED in Japan...:yesgray:

Excuse: I was petting a left handed cat with six toes @ the time.

Vendetta
04/30/2012, 06:12 AM
and another futile post:rollb:

Spoken like a true master (http://vehicross.info/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=1133).

On the other hand,
-V (http://vehicross.info/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=4266)

Ldub
04/30/2012, 06:26 AM
Spoken like a true master (http://vehicross.info/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=1133).

On the other hand,
-V (http://vehicross.info/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=4266)

You just made coffee come shooting out of my nose...:laughing:

blacksambo
04/30/2012, 07:17 AM
How about the 1964 Pontiac GTO?

"Frank Bridge, who did not believe it would find a market, insisted on limiting initial production to no more than 5,000 cars." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_GTO

The GTO was a rebadged version of a much higher production number Tempest, with a more powerful engine. So they had the bodies anyway, try a few with more HP, low risk.

Y33TREKker
04/30/2012, 10:12 AM
Unbelievable.

-V
Anyone been keeping track of which members have usually ended up spending the most time near the center of all such threads covering the widest array of topics? If I may, one possible meaning is that having opinions is one thing, truly realizing they are opinions is another.

VXR
04/30/2012, 11:06 AM
Spoken like a true master

thanks

Y33TREKker
04/30/2012, 12:59 PM
It occurred to me that the local DMV might have a database they could search for the number of a particular brand and model vehicle currently registered/licensed/etc. in their particular state, but mine is closed today so I wasn't able to call and ask.

It would take a combined effort of course, but that may be one way to arrive at a ballpark number for the OP's question.

blacksambo
04/30/2012, 01:51 PM
I'll bet you CarFax knows the number out there. Anybody got any dealer pull to help with that request?

blacksambo
04/30/2012, 02:01 PM
So where did the extra fenders, hoods, & quarters come from, that they were required to produce for replacements, you know...to be sold in the US, Auastrailia, & Japan...:confused:

Since you're supplying the figures, & I'm OBVIOUSLY ignorant of how big business does just that...business, perhaps you could enlighten me...:thanx:

Also, I could use more enlightenment on the facts presented in this post (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=256741&postcount=81)...:yesgray:

I said "approx" 5000. The FIA makes you produce enough spares to actually market and service the "production" automobile in order to qualify for that class. As far as the VX-4, do you remember Isuzu's XU-1 concept/show car? It's a four door extremely advanced styled vehicle, that would never go to production. The VX-4 is no different, just like the convertible VX-02, it's just a for instance type message vehicle, not for mass consumption, a custom one off, to gain more Isuzu press, that's all.

VXR
04/30/2012, 11:43 PM
Anyone been keeping track of which members have usually ended up spending the most time near the center of all such threads covering the widest array of topics? If I may, one possible meaning is that having opinions is one thing, truly realizing they are opinions is another.

I have:yesb:

VXR
05/01/2012, 12:28 AM
Most beautifully & eloquently stated

Spoken like a true master

thank you both:thumbup:

crager34
05/01/2012, 02:46 PM
Well said...X2

Never was a mass produced mustang/taurus/camry/explorer type ;puke2;

Gimme something a bit unique every time......:thumbup:

jo

Like a Nissan Juke!

:_steering

blacksambo
05/01/2012, 03:12 PM
As an aside, Nissan Juke was another concept show car like the VX, that later came to market . I don't know if this fact is too well known.

89Vette
05/09/2012, 08:26 PM
I'll bet you CarFax knows the number out there. Anybody got any dealer pull to help with that request?

My reply from CarFax...

Thank you for contacting CARFAX.

Unfortunately, our database cannot be searched this way. You may want to contact R.L. Polk & Co directly to see if they can provide this information.

blacksambo
05/10/2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for trying. Let's try R.L. Polk, they might have it. Or maybe Haggerty collector car insurance.

evillecutter
05/22/2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScgRtGjJ8JM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-ZvY1vkfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-ZvY1vkfc
i never saw this before kind of neat

89Vette
05/22/2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for trying. Let's try R.L. Polk, they might have it. Or maybe Haggerty collector car insurance.

Since I did the first check, I'll assume "lets" mean you're doing the next check(s).

:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

blacksambo
05/23/2012, 07:27 AM
You are the one with the curiousity. I'm just trying to help.

taylorRichie
05/23/2012, 09:24 AM
What a fun thread. :D

I'd like to add a conversation that never occured at the end of Isuzu's life in the US.

Isuzu America CEO: We're just not selling enough cars in the north american market.

Isuzu exec: Yeah, People just haven't taken interest in our brand since the vehicross.

CEO: It's a shame we commited to only producing 6,000 units. Those sell like hotcakes, but our word is our bond, we can't go back on that. Â*Guess we'll just close up shop.

------

I'll sell mine for $20K to any interested party.

Keep in mind the next time you have a near miss, a near rollover, or fender bender, you will have to fork over $20K for a replacement VX, when your insurance will only give you a $5K "TOTAL" settlement.

:D

H3_VX
05/23/2012, 10:59 AM
What a fun thread. :D

I'd like to add a conversation that never occured at the end of Isuzu's life in the US.

Isuzu America CEO: We're just not selling enough cars in the north american market.

Isuzu exec: Yeah, People just haven't taken interest in our brand since the vehicross.

CEO: It's a shame we commited to only producing 6,000 units. Those sell like hotcakes, but our word is our bond, we can't go back on that. �*Guess we'll just close up shop.

------

I'll sell mine for $20K to any interested party.

Keep in mind the next time you have a near miss, a near rollover, or fender bender, you will have to fork over $20K for a replacement VX, when your insurance will only give you a $5K "TOTAL" settlement.

:D

I read somewhere that VX's actually sat on the lot for a LOOOONG time. Another member posted a story about it. Also, I read a thread not too long ago about a memeber that did get close to Blue book value from his insurance company. And the most expensive VX i've seen in the past two years was $12k, and it was a very low mileage, rust free, garage kept specimen.

pbkid
05/23/2012, 11:35 AM
I read somewhere that VX's actually sat on the lot for a LOOOONG time. Another member posted a story about it. Also, I read a thread not too long ago about a memeber that did get close to Blue book value from his insurance company. And the most expensive VX i've seen in the past two years was $12k, and it was a very low mileage, rust free, garage kept specimen.

sold mine for $13.5, new motor, lots of mods.

vt_maverick
05/23/2012, 12:43 PM
Insurance paid me close to $13K IIRC but that included a few K in mods as well. When you consider the mods I was able to lift before insurance totaled it and the salvage price they gave me I did pretty well.

Btw H3 you are correct on the slow sales, especially towards the end of 2001. Many members here have confirmed that story.

blacksambo
05/23/2012, 09:26 PM
Insurance has to pay retail book value.

Also, if you look at the video links posted by evillecutter above...The Art and Science I, you hear the Isuzu exec say they went for ceramic dies because they knew coming out of the starting gate "the VX isn't for everyone". They knew from the beginnig that sales would always be low. Another interesting finding: If you look at the JDM VX shift console the gear selector is to the left of the hi/lo range selector, indicating that left hand drive was going to be their biggest market, albeit very limited.

taylorRichie
05/24/2012, 06:39 PM

Oh yes, I know they sat, and didn't sell well :) I was being facetious. Had they sold well... They would have produced more, regardless of original production methods. :D

89Vette
05/24/2012, 07:21 PM
And the most expensive VX i've seen in the past two years was $12k, and it was a very low mileage, rust free, garage kept specimen.

Seems like someone paid $13k and posted about it just a couple of months ago.

blacksambo
05/24/2012, 08:15 PM
Oh yes, I know they sat, and didn't sell well :) I was being facetious. Had they sold well... They would have produced more, regardless of original production methods. :D

As I said much earlier...bait and switch on the production method wasn't a legal option. They never aimed for more than the dies allowed. It was just a halo vehicle. Too impractical, and made by a truck maker with a roll over law suit reputation.

JoFotoz
05/24/2012, 08:43 PM
Do you mean asking oprice...or actually sold for???

How about this one...

And the most expensive VX i've seen in the past two years was $12k, and it was a very low mileage, rust free, garage kept specimen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-NEW-ENGINE-PROTON-YELLOW-BEAUTY-/120869328405?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c245f9615

Asking $17900...didnt meet reserve at $12000

jo

Mile High VX
05/24/2012, 08:47 PM
And yet here he only wants $11,499

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-PROTON-YELLOW-NEW-ENGINE-WARRANTY-/120917408295?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c273d3a27

and he even added a hood scoop...

Ldub
05/24/2012, 09:30 PM
So...getting back tuit...

How many are left?...:_thinking

Guess that number could change daily...:_confused

JoFotoz
05/24/2012, 09:31 PM
WOW.....very odd!

And yet here he only wants $11,499

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-PROTON-YELLOW-NEW-ENGINE-WARRANTY-/120917408295?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c273d3a27

and he even added a hood scoop...

He's gonna be pizzzed if it doesnt reach the $12000 he refused!

jo

JoFotoz
05/24/2012, 09:32 PM
Go to bed Dub..

...ya just nearly fell asleep on the phone with me :p

:snooz:

Jo

Ldub
05/24/2012, 09:35 PM
Go to bed Dub..

Jo

Hey...I was THINKING...:smilewink

OR...I tried to think, but nuth'n happened...:_thinking

VXR
05/25/2012, 02:20 AM
Go to bed Dub..

Jo

Hey...I was THINKING...:smilewink

OR...I tried to think, but nuth'n happened...:_thinking

:confused:

evillecutter
05/25/2012, 04:51 AM
As I said much earlier...bait and switch on the production method wasn't a legal option. They never aimed for more than the dies allowed. It was just a halo vehicle. Too impractical, and made by a truck maker with a roll over law suit reputation.

ive also been told that it seemed to help draw people into the showrooms and purchase less expensive vehicles - so most dealerships that had them raised the prices on them - almost keeping them on the lots on purpose -but i have no real evidence to back this up

blacksambo
05/25/2012, 06:26 AM
All one has to do is watch the Isuzu Insights Art and Science films and you will positively know they never thought in terms of mass production...it was a special venture they spent millions on to get press attention for their tarnished post-Consumer-Reports' law suit name. It was a successful distraction. Mission accomplished.

VXR
05/25/2012, 01:52 PM
All one has to do is watch the Isuzu Insights Art and Science films and you will positively know they never thought in terms of mass production

X2:yesb:

VXR
06/01/2012, 02:49 AM
bump for jo:laughb: