PDA

View Full Version : Trans going down the tube.

p_justin13
04/24/2012, 03:41 PM
Well it happened. Just as I'm literally turning 200k on the way back from chicago, boom. Trans started shifting really hard from 1st to second and vice versa. Replaced the neutral safety switch and added the missing 2 quarts of tranny fluid and is shifting ok now but I know I'm on very borrowed time. With money being tight of course this is just perfect timing! Any suggestions on Rebuild vs reman? I know reman is typically much cheaper. Any ideas on labor for just installing a reman tranny saw some for decent price on ebay? Thanks,
JP

vt_maverick
04/24/2012, 03:57 PM
When I was evaluating what to do with my blown AT I got these quotes:

New Jasper transmission + installation labor: $3100 (included 3 year warranty IIRC)
Complete rebuild + removal/installation labor: $2200 (included 1 year warranty IIRC)
Transmission swap (removal/installation labor): $800 (no warranty)

Keep in mind these estimates were from a shop in rural NC. Your price may (will) vary.

Ldub
04/24/2012, 07:22 PM
Take a wait & see attitude...:yesgray:

By all means, start saving for it, but just cuz it was shifting hard, (cured by the trans position selector switch...VERY common problem) doesn't mean it's absolutely gonna puke out it's innards in the next weeks or even months.

Also, be sure to follow the trans fluid level checking instructions to the letter...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

p_justin13
04/24/2012, 07:42 PM
I did check and fill was almost three quarts low. Took it to a local shop today to just have filter and fluid replaced ( not flushed) and the guy pulled the drain plug let a few spoon fills come out and put plug in immediately. Fluid was super dark and smelled pretty burnt. Said it would probably do more harm than good putting in new fluid.

hxdiaz
04/24/2012, 07:56 PM
A few months ago my tranny was 3 quarts low too. I was topped off. My tranny was slipping/bucking between 1st and 2nd gear. I have 130k miles. A year earlier I too had burnt transmission fluid and was told not to replace even one quart as like you said, probably do more harm than good. Well, I've since driven nearly 2,000 miles with the 3 new quarts and it's shifting like normal. No more slipping. I'm going next week for a filter and fluid replace. I agree with Ldub and take a wait and see attitude. Don't fear the worst just yet.

p_justin13
04/24/2012, 08:00 PM
Fingers crossed.... Did you ever find why yours was so low? Can't see visible leeks at pan or anywhere else. Anyone have any opinions on additives like Lucas?

UWVX89
04/25/2012, 04:47 AM
My tranny slipped and was shifting very hard only from first to second. I took it in and had my filter changed and fluid topped off about 3+ quarts and that has solved my problem thus far. That was 142,xxx and I just reached 150,000miles this past week. I'd wait it out and see.

p_justin13
04/25/2012, 09:22 PM
Status update... Emptied about a quart of trans fluid out and added a quart of Lucas trans additive. So thick it was a pain in the arse to get in there. Finally drove truck home from my shop (about 35 miles) so far so good. Shifted ok up and down. Fingers crossed. Hoping possibly delayed the evil for a bit at least. Going to start saving now.. Know it coming soon but for time being happy that day isnt today! FYI just rolled 200k on the way home love my little go kart but sadly I think time to take it a little easier on her. Thanks to all for the help

nfpgasmask
04/26/2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, Dub is right, wait and see. When I bought my VX, back in 2006, with only 26,000 miles on it, I was having shifting problems like you describe. Slamming from 1st to 2nd, etc. I changed the fluid and filter and used Mobile-1 synthetic ATF and now I have 112,000+ miles and my tranny is shifting fine. Burnt or low fluid can cause this problem. It DOES NOT mean your tranny has one foot in the grave.

Bart

VXR
04/27/2012, 11:31 AM
I was having shifting problems like you describe. Slamming from 1st to 2nd, etc. I changed the fluid and filter and used Mobile-1 synthetic ATF and now I have 112,000+ miles and my tranny is shifting fine

X2 I had the exact same experience:

slamming from 1st to 2nd switched to Mobil 1 ATF and filter (no flush)

problem solved:yesb:

hxdiaz
05/04/2012, 03:36 PM
I have no idea where my 3 quarts of tranny fluid went. I had no leaks on my driveway. It is pretty oily around the tranny, though. The shop said maybe while I was driving it blew away. I would still expect to see spots on the driveway. Shop also said tranny fluid does not burn up like engine oil.

Cris
05/07/2012, 08:55 AM
I was down for almost a year for my trans but found a used one through the vx info site from a guy in Philidelphia had 52000 ml. on it been driving it for a year now no problems. do some homework and you can find the parts you need through this site. good luck. Trans went byby about 180000 another 987miles will be 200000 and it's a one owner VX mine. Its clean too. All stock except for cold air intake 265 tires. Still has factory shocks on him.