PDA

View Full Version : Locker / TOD / Hubs...????

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 04:11 PM
I may simply be having a brain fart (more than possible!)...but :-

With a fixed front locker, and manual hubs...

...is there any need for the TOD..at all?

When hubs are locked, I'll be in 4x4 mode..

When hubs are open, I'll be in 2x4, and dont need the TOD anyway.

Or..does the TOD need to be on, too allow full time 4x4 mode?

Cause if not...I can simply leave the TOD unplugged...(retire it!)
...and not have the front shaft rotating while in 2x4 'street" mode with hubs unlocked.

Please vote..

One..yes jo

Two...no jo ( and explain please!)

Three...yer nuts jo ( no explanation required :p.. but optional!!)

Thanks

jo

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 04:30 PM
BTW...I vote ONE..retire your TOD...I think....:_thinking

I dont want to mess anything up..so second opinions welcome.

Jo

orion
04/22/2012, 05:23 PM
No to the TOD. You will never lock the hubs unless your off road, and then you'd go to 4 low. And the TOD shuts off in 4low. I plan on getting a NonTOD transfer case for next year. And I don't have enough time to tell you why your nuts... :bwgy:

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Greg :thumbup:

I figured I was right..but just needed a second opinion.

So, retire the TOD..unplug forever....
....and I wont need a TOD 'off ' switch.

Excellent!

We can discuss "nuts" at length , on the stoop :p..

...cause you are something of an expert on "crazy"

:dan_ban::thumbup::dan_ban:

Jo

Ala5ka
04/22/2012, 05:38 PM
I may be ignorant but how do you "unplug" the TOD? Went to Pismo last weekend and the TOD sucked so hard! Locking hubs and fulltime 4wd would have been just fine.

Triathlete
04/22/2012, 05:40 PM
I vote you're nuts...but it has nothing to do with you're tod question :D

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 05:43 PM
The TOD computer is underneath the passenger seat...

If you have small hands you can get in and unplug the TWO grey
plastic multi plugs.

That turns the TOD off.

My hands are a tad too big...so I loosen the bolts on the back of the seat...
...and take the front bolts out...and I can pivot the seat, and get in there.

Its a bit tricky first time..and have a flashlight handy!

Jo

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 05:45 PM
Says the guy...

I vote you're nuts......:D

...that enjoys doing triathalons!!

:_beer: Billy!

jo

Triathlete
04/22/2012, 06:41 PM
Only time you might want the tod is if you head to the snow.

Might be time to look into a real transfer case!

VXorado
04/22/2012, 07:00 PM
Might be time to look into a real transfer case!

+1

I wonder if a trooper 2WD-4HI-4LO T-case would work with our transmission? Then you could find one dirt cheap and add 3:1 gearing from indy. :thumbup:

blacksambo
04/22/2012, 10:02 PM
The mechanical ball-ramp mechanism prevents any true disengagement of the TOD, ever. (This topic has been discussed many times before on this forum.)

The TOD really is beneficial in a great many ways, including aiding braking/decelaration and boosting hard cornering ability, at speed. What you need to remember is that our wise-fathers at ISUZU in Japan thought about all round performance a lot when developing the VX. Therefore, full-time TOD was the way to go to build the best all-round handling SUV ever, at the time. Rock climbing is just one dimension for vehicle pretty much desiged to handle everything, even river fording, and 90 mph interstate traveling. Be happy such a car exists at all, much less modify it for less broad spectrum operation.

Ldub
04/22/2012, 10:09 PM
Be happy such a car exists at all, much less modify it for less broad spectrum operation.

:confused: So...I should just go out & undo all my mods, & put her back to stock?...:_thinking

blacksambo
04/22/2012, 10:15 PM
All depends on what you want out of your vehicle....stock or custom? There is a whole "hot rod" industry based on custom preference. It's certainly more creative to go custom, but there will always be purists who want the OEM experience. That's why they made chocolate and vanilla; it's for choice. You select the flavor that's right for you, it's just that simple.

Ldub
04/22/2012, 10:24 PM
All depends on what you want out of your vehicle....stock or custom? There is a whole "hot rod" industry based on custom preference. It's certainly more creative to go custom, but there will always be purists who want the OEM experience. That's why they made chocolate and vanilla; it's for choice. You select the flavor that's right for you, it's just that simple.

Couldn't agree more...:thumbup:

I must'v misunderstood the statement I quoted...:_thinking

JoFotoz
04/22/2012, 10:34 PM
AU Contraire Mon Ami...

Be happy such a car exists at all, much less modify it for less broad spectrum operation.

Granted, you can out corner and go faster.....
...but I still love ordinary road driving in my VX.

On the other hand, you cant go where I can go....

Its really not a matter of a "less broad spectrum"...
(indeed, an argument to the contrary could well be made)
.....it's more a matter of tailoring that spectrum to personal taste.

So, whats it to be....chocolate..vanilla...

......or heaven forbid..neopolitan :p

jo

blacksambo
04/23/2012, 06:28 AM
You are right. Enjoy!

VXorado
04/23/2012, 06:49 AM
The TOD really is beneficial in a great many ways, including aiding braking/decelaration and boosting hard cornering ability, at speed. What you need to remember is that our wise-fathers at ISUZU in Japan thought about all round performance a lot when developing the VX. Therefore, full-time TOD was the way to go to build the best all-round handling SUV ever, at the time. Rock climbing is just one dimension for vehicle pretty much desiged to handle everything, even river fording, and 90 mph interstate traveling. Be happy such a car exists at all, much less modify it for less broad spectrum operation.

I think Jo is way past using TOD to increase road performance, did you read the topic? He put a non-selectable locker in the front differential eliminates the ability to use TOD for street in anyway. For this reason Jo would be more beneficial to have a manual T-case. JMO

I really like the TOD system and agree it was a great achievement by Isuzu. I just wish Isuzu included a 4WD-HI lock on the TOD t-case... then it would be perfectly versatile for every situation :smilewink

JoFotoz
04/23/2012, 05:08 PM
Yup....

I think Jo is way past using TOD to increase road performance, did you read the topic? He put a non-selectable locker in the front differential eliminates the ability to use TOD for street in anyway.

...that pretty much sums up the situation :cool:

Jo

mhill
04/23/2012, 11:50 PM
So Jo, I am in the same situation. I put a locker up front with manual hubs. I have done nothing reference the TOD. Based on what I have read here if you disconnect the TOD wont you only have 4LOW.

Do you think you will never have a reason to drive in 4HIGH or is it not a good idea to use the TOD in 4HIGH with a locker? ( I am talking about off road, I know you cant use it on the street.) I have done one off road trip with mine since I have added the locker and I used both 4H and 4L.

Anyway, can't wait to see you again in Moab.
Side note, but related topic since both of our upgrades came out of necessity after last years trip! :thumbup:

pbkid
04/24/2012, 10:14 AM
Mike,
The only reason you would need 4h is speeds over 45 mph. If your doing over 45 with a front locker, you definately dont want it engaged. It will throw you into a ditch faster than you would believe. In fact I would say your likelihood to roll your vehicle would be highly increased. actually, just for reference, both toyota and jeep (the only 2 manufacturers that include lockers from the factory currently, that im aware of), both have safety's built into the vehicle that you can only engage the locker in 4low, and in case of the toyota, only 1st gear. Im not sure if jeep limits you to first gear, but toyota does...

Jo, seems like you got your answer :)
Now I have to figure out some other tricky wiring I can do for ya....

nfpgasmask
04/24/2012, 10:44 AM
So Jo, you put a 10bolt Aussie up front in your new 4.77s gears, eh?

Bart

JoFotoz
04/24/2012, 12:03 PM
Mike...

Jack pretty much summed it up....:thumbup:

Jack...

We'll figure something out, like a cargo area light :rolleyes:

Bart....

I trashed my front diff last year,....
.....replaced both diffs with a pair of matched 4:77's ...
..... with Aussie lockers in both....:clap:

jo

tom4bren
04/24/2012, 12:25 PM
Ruh-Roh

Jo behind the wheel of a rig with Uber traction. I'm seein lotsa metallic deformation in the future.:)

Did you get the CM drop brackets? Shipped on Friday of last week.

JoFotoz
04/24/2012, 12:46 PM
Actually....

Ruh-Roh
Jo behind the wheel of a rig with Uber traction. I'm seein lotsa metallic deformation in the future.:)

...I'd envisage less carnage.

The lockers will provide the traction to surmount the gnarly obstacles I am fond of...

...without the previous need for excessive use of the skinny peddle .

Well..thats the plan anyway....:eek:..:_steering..:eek:

I havent got the CM drop brackets yet...
....I'll let ya know when they get here :thumbup:

Jo

pbkid
04/24/2012, 03:33 PM
Oh man im stoked to see a fully locked vx on a trail....