PDA

View Full Version : Tranny rebuild and TOD

captainmind
04/14/2012, 10:53 AM
Hey all,

Just recently been through it with my VX. After 11 years of near trouble-free ownership had to do some major work. Took it in and did a tune up, new tires, new brakes and rotors, replace all fluids. This was expensive but the day after I got it back the transmission went out...nice.

Took it to a different shop to have the transmission rebuilt. Just got it back yesterday. With all the money I've put into it in the past 2 weeks I could have gotten another car. But I've made the commitment to stick with this one for the long haul.

Anyway, now that it's back, transmission is smooth and everything is good. But the TOD lights on the dash are jumping up and down when I'm going uphill. Anyone know what may be causing this? Should I be concerned about damaging anything? I really don't want to bring it in again unless it's critical.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

MSHardeman
04/14/2012, 01:13 PM
captain,

Don't really have a solution for your jumping TOD lights other than to double check that all four tires are all inflated to the same PSI. I see you got new tires, but were they new or new to you? The wear on all four tire must be the same for the TOD to be happy. Does the light jump happen on any hill, or just one in particular? I ask because if there is gravel on the one hill that this happens on it could be the TOD doing it's job as the tires slip on the gravel. Just a thought.

Now to your transmission issue. Wish you would have posted something here when it went out (maybe you did and I just missed it), but the first shop could have screwed up your transmission and could have been on the hook to replace it. Our transmissions have a VERY specific set of steps that need to happen when replacing the fluid. If the fluid was drained and then just replaced chances are it was low and your transmission would have killed itself due to lack of fluid. I can't find the instructions right now, I know LDUB has them readily available, but when replacing the transmission fluid the tranny has to be run through all the gears with the engine running (among a few other things) and fluid needs to be added as this happens. I'm guessing the fluid starts to fill into all the passages in the tranny and stays there so the initial tranny fill isn't enough to top the fluid off. Make sure that the shop that did the rebuild went through the same process or you'll grenade another transmission.

Scott Larson
04/14/2012, 02:29 PM
Give it a few miles, sometimes the disputer has to rethink all it's parameters and make a few electronic tweeks, not to worry quite yet...

twalker920
04/14/2012, 05:19 PM
When I was getting my tranny serviced a few weeks ago I was chatting to the head mechanic while I was waiting. He specifically mentioned that when he worked on another VX's TOD system it was a pain in the butt to get the speed sensors to all agree and calibrate the same (I think he said there were three of them relating to the TOD system?).

Anyway, just wondering if your jumpy TOD lights are because your speed sensors aren't all in agreement, and if the place you took it to did anything to them.

Just a thought, I know there are others here who know a lot about the system.

captainmind
04/14/2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks all

I should have mentioned that the only fluid not changed at the first shop was the transmission so they never actually touched it. If I thought they did it then I would be all over them. I have 128k on the car and I confess I didn't service the transmission regularly. After reading through this site about the nature of our transmissions I will follow the right protocols moving forward.

The TOD lights are still jumping today. Only when I'm going uphill and the conditions are dry and clear, no gravel.

Hopefully it will heal itself as I always hope my car will do :)

You may be right about the sensors. May have to take it back. We'll see

captainmind
04/18/2012, 05:47 PM
Just got the V back from the shop. They went though the manual and checked all the connections related to the TOD. Their conclusion is it is functioning normally. I could agree except it hasn't done this in 11 years of ownership. The front TOD lights still jump up to 3 and back to 1 when accelerating. I don't think it's a major issue, just wish it worked and didn't blink like that.

They said they would need to explore the ABS light being on and see what the problem is there to thoroughly check the issue. I just told them the ABS light being on is "nearly standard".

Happy to have it back and just in time for my camping trip starting this weekend

Cheers

circmand
04/19/2012, 06:58 AM
My TOD lights have always lit up on acceleration and return to zero since I bought it new. By jumpy I thought you meant they keep lighting up several times per occasion

VXR
04/19/2012, 11:08 PM
The front TOD lights still jump up to 3 and back to 1 when accelerating

I think it is normal mine has always done that...

johnnyapollo
04/20/2012, 05:37 AM
Doesn't sound like a sensor problem - when they go a Check light flashes underneath the TOD section of the dash... sounds like there may be a loose wire or short somewhere leading from the two sensors back to the harness...

Lizardmen3477
04/20/2012, 10:51 AM
SOunds like your Tod was broke before and now its working properly they all light up on aceel then drop back to nothing.

Mile High VX
04/20/2012, 12:00 PM
Hey all,

Anyway, now that it's back, transmission is smooth and everything is good. But the TOD lights on the dash are jumping up and down when I'm going uphill. Anyone know what may be causing this? Should I be concerned about damaging anything? I really don't want to bring it in again unless it's critical.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I see this happen when the VX shifts and is under acceleration. Always been that way. It will run with one light on the front and when you go up hill and it downshifts it goes to two and if you really hit it hard it will light up all three.

captainmind
04/20/2012, 02:21 PM
Well, I guess its possible it wasn't functioning correctly all these years.

To be specific, when I am accelerating the lights jump from 1 to 3 back to one and do this repeatedly. Seems to settle back to one when I've reached a consistent speed.

I have a big road trip with some light 4 wheeling starting tomorrow so we'll see how she does in the real world. Hopefully everything is as it should be.

Bulldoggie
04/23/2012, 07:22 PM
My TOD lights have always lit up on acceleration and return to zero since I bought it new. By jumpy I thought you meant they keep lighting up several times per occasion
Mine too!
I can always light them up just by driving harder.
I drive like an old lady so it's most noticeable, when climbing steep grades at speed and the tranny just downshifted.