PDA

View Full Version : a/c compressor noise

evillecutter
04/13/2012, 08:56 PM
have a loud bearing going out kind of noise coming from my a/c compressor - it gets slightly better when the clutch kicks in - do you think changing the clutch would fix the noise or should i just get an entire compressor with the clutch already attached - as of now the a/c works great and i dont want to spend the extra money, but i thought before i took it off i would ask if anyone has ever changed just the clutch assembly before and how hard it was to get the old clutch free and the new one attached again to the old compressor - thanks for any advice

VXorado
04/14/2012, 09:02 AM
Same thing happened to my AC a couple months ago. I decided to buy a new compressor + clutch because removing the clutch can be a PITA. In addition, I would rather replace the entire assembly and not have to worry about the compressor failing shortly after the fix.

It's all up to you, the compressor/clutch cost me $200. I didn't price out new clutches but you could always pull the AC and attempt to remove the clutch before you buy anything. In the mean time, you can bypass the AC with a shorter belt to give you plenty of time to decide.

evillecutter
04/14/2012, 09:16 AM
thanks vxorado i appreciate it - i was kinda thinking to just replace the whole thing ive tried to remove pulleys from endines on previous cars with ill results and with my luck the compessor would go bad soon anyways - do you happen to know the belt size or have a part # for the shorter belt?

Scott Larson
04/14/2012, 02:45 PM
It's the clutch bearing, put a load on it and then it shuts up, freewheeling and she screams like a little girl. The compressor bearing wouldn't be spinning with the clutch dissengaged...

VXorado
04/14/2012, 05:27 PM
thanks vxorado i appreciate it - i was kinda thinking to just replace the whole thing ive tried to remove pulleys from endines on previous cars with ill results and with my luck the compessor would go bad soon anyways - do you happen to know the belt size or have a part # for the shorter belt?

No problem. I purchased the belt from Napa, part #25060802. The belt is specified under a Trooper 3.5L without a/c & the length should be around 80 inches.

Good luck :)

evillecutter
04/19/2012, 12:09 PM
ok so i got a new compressor and went to put it on but the bolts are completely different and its the same part # for all the compressors at every part store for 100 miles - wtf any ideas on where i can get the correct compressor without going through that merlin guy and paying $1000 to get it shipped from japan?

evillecutter
04/19/2012, 12:11 PM
and noone in town will mess with just the clutch - i dont have the correct tools i think and all the shops say i need to swith the entire comp/clutch assembly

rsteinmetz70112
04/19/2012, 12:31 PM
Search the posts here. The was a thread not to log ago about compressors. I think it was determined that the 2001 is different and some of the parts catalogs have the wrong part number. Sorry I don't remember the details.

VXorado
04/20/2012, 08:39 AM
ok so i got a new compressor and went to put it on but the bolts are completely different and its the same part # for all the compressors at every part store for 100 miles - wtf any ideas on where i can get the correct compressor without going through that merlin guy and paying $1000 to get it shipped from japan?

:mady: Same thing happened to me yesterday... I was very irritated. I bought a new compressor from autozone but found it was completely wrong once I pulled the old one and compared. The autozone compressor was much bigger and had front mounts where the VX compressor has side mounts.

After a quick search, I noticed the 1999 rodeo/amigo compressor looks identical to the VX compressor. Autozone wants around $400 for a rodeo compressor but you can order it online and have it shipped for much less.

I know how you feel, What a PITA. I was hoping to have everything done yesterday and instead have to wait another couple weeks for a new compressor.

Scott Larson
04/20/2012, 10:37 AM
Yup, all this has been covered right here on the forum...ooops! :_brickwal

evillecutter
04/20/2012, 10:55 AM
we tried looking up other vehicles with that same motor but the computer at the aoto parts store said they were all the same - diff size and with front mounting bolts - and the only different one we could find in their warehouse when they called them supposidly isnt manufactured or carried anymore - vxorado, do you mind telling me where you ordered yours from? ive used autopartswarehouse.com in the past with good luck on other cars, but if you have a better suggestion im all ears - and thanks again for all your help i really appreciate it

VXorado
04/20/2012, 11:05 AM
we tried looking up other vehicles with that same motor but the computer at the aoto parts store said they were all the same - diff size and with front mounting bolts - and the only different one we could find in their warehouse when they called them supposidly isnt manufactured or carried anymore - vxorado, do you mind telling me where you ordered yours from? ive used autopartswarehouse.com in the past with good luck on other cars, but if you have a better suggestion im all ears - and thanks again for all your help i really appreciate it

I haven't yet. If you find a good deal, let me know. I don't want to pay too much but I also don't want an $80.00 compressor from ebay that's junk.

VXorado
04/20/2012, 11:12 AM
Yup, all this has been covered right here on the forum...ooops! :_brickwal

Not for a 99 VX, only read about the unique compressor being used for 01 and possibly 00 VX models. The forum failed me...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15129&highlight=ac+compressor

evillecutter
04/20/2012, 11:14 AM
the only ones ive found are still $300 to $400 - that is going off a 3.2l engine from a rodeo (says the amigo and rodeo never had the option for the 3.5l) im scared to order one and it not be right - i dont mind paying that much if the damn thing fits and works right ya know? i just dont want to have to send 3 different compressors back and forth through the mail - but i guess if that's what i gotta do...

circmand
04/20/2012, 11:16 AM
the only ones ive found are still $300 to $400 - that is going off a 3.2l engine from a rodeo (says the amigo and rodeo never had the option for the 3.5l) im scared to order one and it not be right - i dont mind paying that much if the damn thing fits and works right ya know? i just dont want to have to send 3 different compressors back and forth through the mail - but i guess if that's what i gotta do...

I am getting a 3rd CV joint delivered this week since no part suppliers have the right one listed.

rsteinmetz70112
04/20/2012, 12:21 PM
IF you found the correct one it might help someone if you posted the information on the correct part number.

evillecutter
04/20/2012, 01:22 PM
havent found the correct one yet but i havent given up - i think i can get oem from isuzu for $1200 - you read that right twelve hundred friggin dollars - but i would rather just go without a/c or listen to the noise than pay that much just on principle alone - i guess the japanese have to make it from scratch from diamond dust or something - when i do find one i will post part number and where to find

rsteinmetz70112
04/20/2012, 01:31 PM
Check this thread it has a discussion and includes some part numbers from various places the Autozone part number is stated to be 2488. IF that the one you purchased an it's wrong then the problem is worse that we thought.

This thread is mostly about the problem of the 01 part number being listed incorrectly in nearly every parts catalog, including Isuzu's.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15129

evillecutter
04/21/2012, 01:40 PM
so there are 3 different models:
HD6:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/viewpicture.asp?partid=60-00900
DKV14G:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/viewpicture.asp?partid=60-01582
DKV14D:
http://www.discountcompressor.com/viewpicture.asp?partid=60-01421

not sure yet which models go with which years, but i hope this helps

my 2000 is a 14D

VXIRONwoMAN
05/26/2012, 08:27 PM
:?: I noticed no one mentioned calling Merlin from St. Charles. Just an option... OEM parts, forum discount, plus free shipping. Or you can get the part number from him and find a comparable aftermarket...maybe... :_shrug:

LittleBeast
05/27/2012, 04:00 PM
Same kind of sound happened to me and it ended up being the harmonic balancer, if the compressor/clutch does not fix it you might look into that next

As far as compressor's and clutch goes, I just found a local a/c compressor shop and they had a rebuilt one for $200

Jonnie
09/16/2012, 06:43 AM
No problem. I purchased the belt from Napa, part #25060802. The belt is specified under a Trooper 3.5L without a/c & the length should be around 80 inches.

Good luck :)

Got this belt and its too big... :(

Is there a pulley that replaces the AC unit?

evillecutter
09/16/2012, 08:16 PM
just tell them at the auto parts store that you want a belt for a 3.5 with no a/c thats how they looked it up when i got a shorter belt - fit right on - think it was advanced auto

VXorado
09/16/2012, 09:22 PM
That's the part # I pulled from the shorter belt and it worked for me. You don't use another pulley, just route the belt above the A/C pulley to the steering pump pulley.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBH25060802_0383300972

If you're belt is much bigger than 80", you have the wrong belt.