PDA

View Full Version : buying another VX

mborodi
04/13/2012, 05:09 PM
provided the seller doesnt bail on me, Im going to be buying another VX in 3 days.. meanwhile, my 2000 sits needing a front bumper, front bumper support, radiator support bracket, passenger side fender can be salvaged (has a tennis ball or smaller size dent & scratched paint) also needs a marker light, and a right headlight.. Im torn between parting it out.. I know all too well how hard the parts are to find.. the motor, the transmission, the rest of it are all perfect, or selling it whole as it sits.. it runs so beautifully.. lol.. even without the darn bumper cover.. originally when I bought my 2000 it was foxfire, I had it painted Proton.. so if anyone's got any better ideas or input.. I'd love to hear it.. part it out or sell it whole.. I could use the $ to pay for the new one Im getting.. (or at least partially pay for.. lol.. I paid 5800 for my 2000, it has 103,000 on the odo, and of course the ABS light is on) the new one is almost 9 grand.. If I sell the 2000 for parts, of course color on the body parts will be noted.. as it's formerly foxfire..

Breezy
04/13/2012, 05:14 PM
If the deal falls through, I have a beautiful Proton I'll sell to you for much less than 9,000! :)

mborodi
04/13/2012, 05:16 PM
If the deal falls through, I have a beautiful Proton I'll sell to you for much less than 9,000! :)

idk breezy.. this one's beautiful.. lol..
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2843817112.html

do you have yours posted here and on craigs?

Breezy
04/13/2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=319426284&dealer_id=67142987&atc_id=AT-130a0eec

http://up.craigslist.org/cto/2905771785.html

Pictures and VIDEOS!!!
http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/VehiCROSS/?start=all

The body has double the miles as that one. I've actually looked at his ad a few times in recent weeks. But the engine and tranny both only have ~81,000 miles on mine. Super clean. :)

mborodi
04/13/2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=319426284&dealer_id=67142987&atc_id=AT-130a0eec

http://up.craigslist.org/cto/2905771785.html

Pictures and VIDEOS!!!
http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/jpbreela/VehiCROSS/?start=all

The body has double the miles as that one. I've actually looked at his ad a few times in recent weeks. But the engine and tranny both only have ~81,000 miles on mine. Super clean. :)

why 81 on the engine & Trans? replaced?...

H3_VX
04/13/2012, 05:34 PM

Damn, that one is nice, I don't like the color matched skid plate though. Breezy's is just as nice judging from pics.

Breezy
04/13/2012, 05:41 PM
Engine was replaced by Isuzu at the dealer under warranty for high oil consumption at 57,000 on the VX. I have the documentation. Tranny started slipping in 3rd gear on me this past summer. Member "WISDOM" blew an engine and had a tranny with 71,000 on it that he didnt need (I think he did a V8 swap or something). So I snagged it from him and had it installed. I have the documentation for that installation as well. I've put about 10,000 miles on it since with not as much as a hiccup. I've made 3 trips from Wisconsin to Tennessee and back and would do it again if I had that gas money. The reason I'm selling lol. I need something more economical for a college student.

H3...Hahaha. I honestly don't like the color matched skid either. I love the fiberglass skids, but it looks odd to me in proton yellow lol. :)

Breezy
04/13/2012, 05:43 PM
Here is the thread about the tranny I bought.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20537

Pictures in my photobucket are washed out pretty bad. The VX is not really that faded lol. It was a super sunny day, cheap camera, and facing into the setting sun. My apologies. I do have some pretty sick pictures from ownership (not your standard "buy me" pictures). I can post a few up if you are interested. With the Cooper's on my VX, it has a pretty aggressive stance to it. Looks pretty tight I think. Of course, it is my love. I'd better think so, right? haha

mborodi
04/13/2012, 06:20 PM
heee... it does have nice choppers! honestly.. it would cost me the same to fly north, and drive it back, as it would to buy the one in Miami.. Im 3 hours from Miami.. I will tell ya.. Im dangling on the edge of temptation though.. if this guy in miami doesn't come through, Im going to hit you up.. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I call Miami again.. to make sure he's for real.. the ad on craigs he mentions this site.. maybe a member.. idk.. I'd have thought he'd have posted it here for sale, but I havent seen it here. I love the yellow skid plate.. lol.. Im all about weird modes of transportation.. my VX and my Vibrams keep people staring..

Breezy
04/13/2012, 06:32 PM
I've been looking into shipping, and when it sells, I'm flying to New York to buy a Sentra. The shipping company I've been talking to lately for potential buyers in located in Chicago. My deal would be drive it to Chicago and drop it off to be shipped, then get a taxi to O'Hare to fly to NY. I already checked shipping actually, just out of curiosity. $550 to ship from Chicago to St. Petersburg, Fl. That's their final price too. With tax and all, plus full insurance on the VX while it's being transported. Montway Auto Transport has great reviews online too!

If you want to look yourself, here is the link: http://www.montway.com/

Plus, my VX has a Viper remote start that will work up to 1 mile with a direct shot. It a sweet little touch your seller probably doesn't have. I like it for warming up my car, but you may find it nice for cooling down the VX and the black leather before climbing in on hot days. Check out the Photobucket link: http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/...OSS/?start=all

There are some videos in there, and one of them I demonstrate the remote starting. It's awesome. PLUSSSS I have the CarFax AND AutoCheck reports for my car, and they are both clean :) I'd be happy to email you them so you could look over records. I'd love to sell within the next couple of days. The guy in NY is holding the car for me for one more day. If I don't sell the VX and can't make him an off, he's selling to someone else. Needless to say, I'm getting anxious!

**Side note, if you like the oddities, my Proton does have an "Autobot" sticker on the front hood. ;)

mborodi
04/13/2012, 06:46 PM
you better believe I already spotted the autbot on the hood.. nice touch!.. on my squished proton I took ISUZU off the back and put TONKA.. cuz it's funny.. I won't know anything until I call Miami tomorrow and seal the deal, and see if he's real.. I work for a car dealership, so I can find anything about any vehicle, at the touch of a few key strokes. I also have my "in's" with the State of Florida DMV.. so Im all over researching anything Im going to throw down heavy cash for.. my proton has only been "mine" for a month.. then it was hit by a tweener texting.. it has a few things Im taking out of the banged up one and putting into whatever new proton I buy (dual headrest dvd players, 6 cd changer, alarm system that'll take your skin off when it goes off, Tonka emblem, etc etc) probably swap out tires, mine are new..
I do like the sound of remote starter, wonder how much more I can hook up.. lol.. might need a bigger battery! All I can say is I'll post here tomorrow & let you know what's up with Miami..

Breezy
04/13/2012, 06:51 PM
Okay. Just fyi though, I just put my Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on in October. They are Cooper's premium line tire and cost $1,000 to have them put on. They only have 7,000 miles on them. Love those things. So I guess you could have 2 new sets of tires...?

I have seen pics from way back in the day of a member who had a large TONKA sticker on their VX backside under the halfmoon. Not sure who's it was. I loved that, but wanted to be more original, at least in the VX crowd, so I opted for the subtle Autobot emblem. Hahaha. Sounds like potential. I look forward to hearing what happens tomorrow! :D

I think the possibilities on the Viper system are endless. I printed off the 70+ page manual with it. You can pretty much add anything you want to this gig. It also has Moncha's side blinker mod and I made my own tail light modulator for the high mount 3rd tail light on the spoiler. Its sweeeeeeet!

VX KAT
04/13/2012, 07:41 PM

Doesn't sound like you know the guy selling the Miami one is an active member here "Osteomata", name is Jack. He's a TOP NOTCH guy, his Proton is as he says it is.
I believe he told me he sold the front skid plate, so I don't think that's on there. He bought my back seat a few years ago, so this Proton has my Foxfire's back seat! Our VX parts are all so well traveled!

One caveat...I recall shortly after Jack listed his for sale a few months ago, ANOTHER '01 Proton with virtually the same mileage popped up for sale IIRC it was from Miami also. So unless Proton #2 has used Jack's pictures, this one should be Jack's (Proton #1).

mborodi
04/13/2012, 07:53 PM
hmm, thanks for the info KAT.. I was keeping my fingers crossed he was going to be the real deal.. I've seen a few scammer's lately, and I wasn't sure how to look on here to find a member based on the last 4.. anyway.. sweet deal.. Im glad! My boss talked to Jack today.. my boss handed me all the info on Jack's proton and said it was up to me if I wanted it.. by the time I hemmed & hawed.. it was too late tonight to call Jake back.. so tomorrow we'll see.. I'd be bummed about the yellow skid plate, I love it.

Riff Raff
04/13/2012, 08:02 PM

The Proton VX in Miami, FL belongs to fellow member "Osteomata" and you can click-on his posting history and read up more about it, since he had originally purchased it from eBay. By reading his past previous postings will give you a better feel/understanding about his VX. The Proton of "Osteomata" has been for sale on/off the Craigslist venue for quite a while.

Whatever VX you are interested in, I highly encourage an actual "hands on" inspection, and/or to contact a local disinterested fellow member that lives near the same city to "pre-audition" the VX on your behalf and report back to you with a very detailed report card (using the VX-KAT Checklist) before traveling long distance or putting down any money. If you do decide to buy long distance sight unseen, you should always use www.Escrow.com as the conduit to conduct the monetary transaction. It will give you a 3-day inspection period to either "accept or reject" the purchase (C.Y.A.).

:luck:

mborodi
04/13/2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks RiffRaff! that's why Kat's endorsement was taken highly regarded. Since it's my 2nd VX, I've taken great pleasure and energy to make sure my homework was done. It breaks my heart to see my 1st sitting at work, a car dealership, with the front bumper resting behind the seats.. every bolt tucked neatly in a ziplock bag.. hence my hinderance as to what to do with her. The undercarriage was a bit rusty, but I had it rust proofed. I didn't have it but 3 weeks when it was hit (Passenger side front corner). For me, it doesn't matter what quirks it had, because given the opportunity I'd fix her every whim. I tell my account holder all the time "I wish everyone could love their vehicle as much as I love mine.. Since 99.. The first thing my mother said to me (and Im almost 45-not a kid, meaning) she saw #1 "Thank God, now at least your boss might get some peace" (my previous ride 03 yellow saturn 4 AWD, and 03 Nissan Murano)-trying to scratch that "itch" of owning a VX, but not being able to have it-
My boss, the dealership owner,spoke to Jack. My boss putting the ultimate decision back on my plate, I gave it a few hours, spoke with my fiance', my mechanic and a few other co-workers- listened to my boss (since 1952)- Im a wreck! lol.. I want Jack's Proton, KAT says he's top notch, that's god enough for me.. Being the accounts manager for a car dealer, and a 10 yr stint as a counselor in residential treatment facilities- I can usually spot a scam.. I'd read about the daytona area I believe guy who appeared to have photo-shopped pic's of what seems to be a rebuild project. Sad, because my general feeling of this website, and being a child of the late 60' and 70', VXer's seem a lot like me.. no matter what age, the commonality and the love of something brings people together as a group.. human's are such social creatures. Best times I remember from High School & College was being part of something that was bigger than just me.
I, if no one else, truly means what "AS IS" means.. I hear the words "I get what as is, BUT.. I only bought it 6 months ago".. heee heee.. "but" takes every word after the word itself away. If Jack's proton needs something, Im all over it.. mechanical issues are nothing.. I've got that covered all day long.. lol it's the crunchy outside edges I can't seem to find the time to replace.. Kat's word's work for me.. I bought #1 from a dealership I met originally selling it on ebay, where the reserve was not met, so I bought it when it didn't sell directly from the dealership.
Never test drove it, nothing.. I got off a plane, walked onto the lot, paid for it, and drove it back to Florida.. I could only wish for every purchase on a VX would be so perfect.. :0)

Breezy
04/14/2012, 01:58 AM
I wish you good luck with Osteomata's proton! I didn't know that's who that guy was, but I've read tons of his posts and such and he's definitely given me good input. If it doesn't work out with him or her decides not to sell, let me know! :) my proton is in top shape!

mborodi
04/14/2012, 05:31 AM
Thanks Riff.. I looked on the member's map.. it shows two people that have done two posts in their entire history.. and that was last year.. idk who I'd trust to do hands on, unless it was my mechanic.. lol. I dont think my boss would send him to Miami for the day.. lol.. Im not that close in location.. I don't know why I assumed buying my 2nd VX would prove to be difficult.. as difficult as finding parts for my squished one.. I suppose I could be more patient and just fix mine. ugh.. my motto "is it done yet?"
Working for a car dealership has it's perks.. it's not like Im walking.. but it's not my vx and Im mid temper tantrum about not having driven her in 3 weeks.. 8 more weeks on a bumper cover might kill me.. I get it though. It's not like all VX's are going to be as sweet of a deal as I got on mine... but it would be nice.. shame sellers can't tell 100% on what might possibly be wrong for fear of it not selling.. Id rather know what I need to fix.. they really are my love (shh, dont tell my husband & kids)..

Buffy
04/14/2012, 06:20 AM
PM sent about your wrecked VX.

Osteomata
04/14/2012, 08:20 AM
I am here. Feel free to call. I sent you a PM with some updates and info that I did not get into during the short call with your boss. Thanks for looking out for me guys and gals.

Cobrajet
04/14/2012, 09:41 AM
I'm really on the fence here. I really want you to buy Osteomata's VX, but on the other hand I also want you to fix your original VX. I would hate to see a perfectly good VX parted out. It's just a minor fender bender. Osteomata's VX should go to a good home... a member! But, do you really want two VXs? Can you handle that much excitement! Would you fix up your original VX and sell it? Or does it have sentimental value and you would sell Osteomata's VX? So many questions...so little time.

mborodi
04/14/2012, 10:31 AM
LOL.. I hear ya Cobra! time actually is not of essence but my patience level is at it's peak.. I can always handle two VX's.. I think with the $$ Geico gave me, I can fix mine, and buy another one at auction that's wrecked in the same spot, and fix that one and sell it.. lol.. or keep it.. we wrapped up a total restore on a 68 camaro about a month ago.. sold that puppy much to my argument. I would love to do a restore on a cheaper separate VX.. more so than anything, I want mine out on the road burning rubber.. eating the road for breakfast. Spoke my boss this am, and we're moving ahead on fixing mine.. I just can't part with it.. she's been so good to me.. osteomata's would be sweet, considering the miles on it.. but ultimately it's better for me to fix mine, and possibly buy another with the chunk of change from insurance.. I had a fantastic adjuster that pushed it right up to the limit on "total loss" without totaling it out.. paid me almost to the dollar what I paid for the VX to begin with.. because according to Geico, they "valued" mine at 8700.. I paid 5800 for it.

Osteomata
04/14/2012, 11:00 AM
OK, sorry we couldn't work something out. I wish you the best of luck with your rebuild. Looks like I will be redoing my CL ad this weekend, heh. Gotta get off my lazy bum and replace the shocks with the new Rancho's sitting in the backseat as well.

Baldwin
05/08/2012, 12:17 PM
escrow.com was a good idea. shouda done that.