PDA

View Full Version : Mice taking over inside- HELP??

disasterlady
04/10/2012, 06:46 AM
yup, they are winning... anyone have any idea as to how these critters could be getting in my cab? They have built nests on top of the AC/blower fan... gotten into my fan, nested inside the console, nested in the body work behind the plastic trim in the back and I trap about 1-3 of them a week INSIDE the VX! I've had them scurring around as I am driving along, even on the outside running up and down the side of the windshield, even had Woodrats nest on top of the engine with a pile of acorns left in various places prompting me to have to leave the hood up when I park on my carport. We have "Hantavirus" infected deer mice in this county, so ...

I keep the air intake vent on "recirculate" rather than "outside air coming in", I have torn off the cladding and put screening over the air pressure vents under the rear side cladding. I have put steel wool around the hood hinge/cowl openings as I saw one crawling under one time as I was driving down the road. I've tried Peppermint Oil and Moth balls. I spotted one coming out from under the side plastic trim at the bottom of the floorboard in front of the back seats where that little dip in the carpet is and put steel wool there, but am afraid I just blocked it from getting back out! It went crazy and ended up going up under the dash and later I heard gnawing as it probably was trying to chew it's way out. I took a UV light and found urine spots coming from my hand brake enclosure over the gear shift console. I have hesitated in getting those sound repellants as I have heard they don't work.:mado:

ADDED this EDIT 4/12/2012:
I am ALLERGIC to cats

I heard of someone who got a SNAKE which got up in the dash and they couldn't get it out, which leaves to all kinds of exciting Samuel Jackson scenarios.

I have traps all around the outside and inside... live in a rural area near creek and woods, so I could trap till eternity.

There are 2 huge Great Horned OWLS and several Red Tail HAWKS, COYOTES, wild FERRETS ( my favorite!! ) that live around here and they can't keep up with the rodentia.

So any ideas as to HOW they could be getting in?

yellowgizmo99
04/10/2012, 06:59 AM
sounds like you need a couple of cats to help out. know my ex neighbor was mad after I left and the moles took over again.

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2012, 07:09 AM
*EDIT*

yuck mae, that sucks. Try to get moth balls in a sock and place them around your car. Might work. This old guy showed me that trick for the attic, it work. But make sure u do put it inside a sock and tie the end, cuz those moth balls stick, and u don't want ur VX to smell like an old nursing home or ur grandmas closet forever. After they are gone, or a week or two, take out the sock and get rid of it, and freshen ur VX, cuz it will smell for a while like that, especially in such a small compartment. I did the mistake to spread the moth balls in the attic with out a sock, and my house became a moth hell. I couldn't find a moth near my house for a few blocks, and this house was built in 1920, so it had an attic fan, so every time i turned that fan on, man, all moths around my county fled, lol. I fixed the issue with going into the attic and finding 90% of all the moth balls i spread in the attic, like 100 of them or so, it sucked. Any who, it kept the mice out. also get some food that kills them, but its a speacil kind that they like to eat and kills them from the inside, but what it does it dries them out, so just incase if they die inside ur VX, they won't stink, cuz they don't rote, get dried up like a bone. Good luck, if all fails, take the VX to Japan, and let the little bustards mutate until they get to big to go inside ur VX. that should fix it :bgwo: .

disasterlady
04/10/2012, 07:14 AM
MOTH BALLS DIDN'T WORK... couldn't get their tiny legs apart

Heh... old joke
thanks for caring though :yesb:

WormGod
04/10/2012, 07:14 AM
IN your VX? Man.... I would have to sell. Mice dont creep me out at all, but the crap they carry does.

I had a couple encounters with them in my engine bay, having eaten through wires a few times. Caused me some money loss and frustration.

I don't know any tricks, but might be worth contacting a pest control company to see what they recommend for something such as, IN VEHICLE. Last thing you want is something that damages or stinks up your interior just trying to get rid of the buggers. Good luck. :(

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2012, 07:22 AM
I edited the above help, disasterlady, re-read the last help might work, lol

disasterlady
04/10/2012, 07:32 AM
that's considerate of you, I just re-edited my post to add that I had tried Moth balls... the mice just laughed at me. Apparently they are elderly. :p

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2012, 07:42 AM
that's considerate of you, I just re-edited my post to add that I had tried Moth balls... the mice just laughed at me. Apparently they are elderly. :p

LOL, jajaja, thats great. :laughing:

Mile High VX
04/10/2012, 06:40 PM
Found this...it may work for you...and it's kinda funny as well...:bgwo::smilewink:bwgy::bgwb:

I have your solution. Very simple and cost a lot less than a car capsule.

1. Obtain some nylon hoes. Unwashed but used/warn knee high is best. Cut off torso area if you can only obtain "panty hoes". All you need is one calf lenght piece.
2. Find a cat or cat owner. Unwashed cat is best. Washed cat owner is preferred, but not nessesary.
3. Aquire a BIG ball of cat hair through brushing of said cat and/or cat owner.
Cat owner hair will not work for this project.
4. Tie a knot in one end of nylon with the opening open. Creating a small pocket.
If nylons are provided by cat owner, remove nylons from cat owner first.
5. Stuff a decent amount of cat hair into opening, tie closed & cut off on far side of said knot.
You should have a little nylon ball of cat hair. About palm sized is good.
6. Repeat step five until you have 4-5 balls of cat fur filled nylon balls.
7. Place the balls in key locations of engine compartment and any other wiring harness locations.
Make as many cat hair balls as you like.
It is the odor of a natural preditor that will keep the mice away.
The nylons just keeps the hair from getting messy and still allows the odor to easily get out.
And for what it is worth, the rats/mice eat wiring due to the insulation in wires.

Also, use traps in the storage bay, more cat balls stuffed in any known openings, etc.

IndianaVX
04/10/2012, 07:37 PM
I would say they have to start at the wheels. So I would surround your wheels at night with traps, using peanut butter on the trap, instead of cheese. Same inside the truck.

PK
04/10/2012, 08:25 PM
Do you know anyone that has a snake as a pet??
Guaranteed success.

PK

FlyingV77
04/11/2012, 08:51 PM
tootie rolls on the traps are even better. you can trap 100+ times on half a roll. that what we used in the "stan"

Ldub
04/11/2012, 09:19 PM
A preacherman friend of mine once told me that when he had bats in his steeple, he'd just confirm them..."haven't seen anyone or thing that I've confirmed, ever come back"...:laughing:

disasterlady
04/12/2012, 12:33 PM
well, I am impressed with how so many of you have tried to help me out, but in trying to save "thread space", I didn't list all the other things I have done to rememdy this issue, so I guess I will edit the original with this:

I am ALLERGIC to cats

I heard of someone who got a SNAKE which got up in the dash and they couldn't get it out, which leaves to all kinds of exciting Samuel Jackson scenarios.

I have traps all around the outside and inside... live in a rural area near creek and woods, so I could trap till eternity.

There are 2 huge Great Horned OWLS and several Red Tail HAWKS, COYOTES, wild FERRETS ( my favorite!! ) that live around here and they can't keep up with the rodentia.

and "Ldub"... you gotta good point, I haven't prayed enough over this! ( hmmmm, visions of Egyptian plagues running through my mind... )

so really my original question or request is does ANYONE KNOW HOW THEY ARE GETTING INTO THE VCROSS? :(

JAMAS
04/12/2012, 01:04 PM

Its funny you should say that. I once lost a snake in my wife's car for about a month or two. Cold weather provided a painless death for the little fella. I found the body under the e-brake plate.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/img185.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22258)

tjh
04/12/2012, 03:50 PM
so really my original question or request is does ANYONE KNOW HOW THEY ARE GETTING INTO THE VCROSS? :(

Maybe they are coming up from the transmission like around the TOD shifter.

I think it's more likely that they are just squeezing through the flap for the AC .
When my AC is set to recirculate the cabin-air, and the fan is off it will give off a light breeze at highway speeds.

Vendetta
04/12/2012, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm... Hantavirus, cat allergies. Hantavirus, cat allergies...

HANTA. VIRUS... cat allergies.

Yeahhh.
-V

Osteomata
04/12/2012, 04:38 PM
You have tried to DIY this, its time to call an exterminator.

disasterlady
04/13/2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks TJH, the tranny area is what I was going to focus on next, but the AC flap is interesting... could very well be. I'm going to have to pull the dash/ blower fan out to clean it all out again anyway.
EDIT: where exactly are you talking about?

Exterminators had no better answers... just kill em... one by one by one. They just tell me to try to find how they are getting in.... hence my forum plea.

rsteinmetz70112
04/13/2012, 12:42 PM
Have your tried one of those ultrasonic things to keep them away?

JAMAS
04/13/2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.hastingsreserve.org/mammals/MiceInCars.html

disasterlady
04/13/2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks JAMAS, I can tell you researched for this and I appreciate it! I'm not sure how I can do this in my tight and unlevel space, but it's got me thinking. I have seen these buggers jump from the wall to a table so it surprizes me that this would work, but hey it's worth a try.

On the other hand... I still need to find out how they are getting in as they have probably damaged the area and it will need repair.

keep em coming!!:grino:

circmand
04/13/2012, 01:55 PM
Mousetraps?

alleycat
04/15/2012, 09:14 AM
Whatever yu do yu have to get these mice out of there fast because they will start multiplying and start urinating and defacating all over the inside of car.Then yu will also start getting a stink like yu can't believe. You will not be able to drive the car anymore. I Had this happen to an old Chevy I own and I had to tear out the WHOLE interior of the car to get the stink & mice out. Good luck. Why not ask an exterminator for suggestions ?

Scott Larson
04/15/2012, 11:21 AM
I live rural, middle of northern Minnesota, nothin but woods and wildlife, don't whine to me about rodent problems. Get a bushel of cats, outdoor kind, not indoor furballs and let 'em make a buffet of the incredible-edibles...It's worked for me for 40 plus years; and stop yer yappin' 'bout "I'm allergic", they're fricken OUTDOORS!!! Just sayin...:slap:

tom4bren
04/16/2012, 12:49 PM
I've actually had very good luck with the ultra-sonic pest repellers.

I keep one plugged in under the RV at all times (reminds me, I need to plug it in again after our trip last week).

Lowes & Home Depot sell one that has dual speakers. That's the one I use.

The only other suggestion is a boron based poison but then you run the risk of them taking a dirt nap inside your VX. Better off with the ultra-sonic repeller.

This is the one I use:

http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/m792

Paul_A
04/16/2012, 01:53 PM
If you know anyone with a pet ferret... get a cheapy pet blanket and let it use it for a few days. Put the used blanket somewhere in the engine bay (don't forget to take it out before you start up!) Guarantee you'll have no more mice! :happyface

disasterlady
04/19/2012, 02:20 PM
ok...
SCOTT: for the sake of text space, I can't have a CAT, not just because of allergies, but because I rent and the coyotes would eat them anyway.

OTHERS: had A ferret, LOVE EM ( I even help train them when they get dropped off at a Animal Preserve ), I tried leaving their urine, scent (as suggested ) to no avail, can't own one... rent in CALIF.

I have spent the week tearing apart the VX looking for their entrances and so far have only found the AC Air intake under the cowling which I screened over and stuffed steel wool ( the rustless kind ) in all of the holes.:mado:

TOM: Your always a PAL and I KNOW I can trust ya to tell me right... I WILL look into the ULTRASONIC as I haven't heard of them working until now.

Thanks!
STILL ASKING IF ANYONE KNOWS THE WAYS THAT THEY CAN BE GETTING IN??!!

tom4bren
04/19/2012, 04:34 PM
STILL ASKING IF ANYONE KNOWS THE WAYS THAT THEY CAN BE GETTING IN??!!

Yer welcome. Always glad to help & besides, I get perverse satisfaction out of having a different opinion as everyone else.

One word on the ultra-sonic pest repellers. They don't work on some critters. They seem to work well on small rodents like mice & squirrels. On crickets ... not so much. On ants ... not at all. I'm thinkin that crickets make their own irritating sounds so they are immune to ultrasonics. Ants were just put on the earth to piss me off so it's no surprise that there's no way to repel them.

As far as where they are getting in your VX ... remember that a mouse can squeeze through a 1/2 in crack. Sorry but you may never find their entry point. For all you know, they may have pushed through one of the grommets in your firewall.

Scott Larson
04/19/2012, 05:11 PM
My mom has been trying the ultrasonic/electronic deterents for years. Everytime she comes across a new version, she's buying it...all to no avail. Tom, I'll suggest she go to Lowes and give theirs a try, thanks. She refuses to use anything that might actually KILL THEM...For the life of me, I don't know why!!! I didn't mean to come off as "Mr. Know-It-All" about the cat remedy, it just has worked for me for many years and we do REALLY have allot of the little edibles up here. Whatever you choose, I hope it works. for you.:rotate:

djvx
04/19/2012, 09:12 PM
i dont know if mice can be carbon monoxided but i wonder if you parked your rig in a garage while its running. open the car windows and get out of the garage and close the garage doors. being sure no other living pets or humans are in the garage of course. and Id say in about 30 minutes that would kill them. Im not saying to do this just wondering if this would kill 'em.

JAMAS
04/20/2012, 05:51 AM
That might work, but then she would be left with a number of dead mice hidden and rotting.

BigSwede
04/20/2012, 06:42 AM
Yesterday I found a dying baby mouse on the floor of my garage...hopefully they aren't getting into the Trooper.

rsteinmetz70112
04/20/2012, 07:16 AM
Making sure you get them out, I think the best way is to use sticky traps, that way the mouse won't crawl off and die. It is also considered cruel by some and some people freak out handling the things.

BigSwede
04/20/2012, 08:14 AM
My garage is never going to be rodent-proof, there are plenty of ways for them to get in. I just try to keep anything desirable to a mouse, such as birdseed, in sealed containers, so there isn't a good reason for them to want be there.

Mile High VX
04/20/2012, 08:17 AM
My garage is never going to be rodent-proof, there are plenty of ways for them to get in. I just try to keep anything desirable to a mouse, such as birdseed, in sealed containers, so there isn't a good reason for them to want be there.

Because just being warm and dry in the MN winter is certainly not enough on it's own...LOL

JAMAS
04/20/2012, 08:38 AM
I've got it!.....

....Build a moat.

BigSwede
04/20/2012, 10:19 AM
Because just being warm and dry in the MN winter is certainly not enough on it's own...LOL

I don't know about warm (not a heated garage), but dry I suppose...maybe all the gear oil I seem to be routinely spilling on the floor will deter them. :p

disasterlady
04/20/2012, 01:11 PM
You guys are funny...

GEAR OIL!!! that's what I need! (she throws her head back and crys out)

Unfortunately, they bring their own food, they just love to stuff nuts everywhere, behind the dryer, in the nail coffee can, ontop of the plastic container boxes, inside the circular saw cover, blah blah blah.

Point being: I am not going to get rid of them, I just need to keep them OUT of the VX.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY PHOTOS OF THE INSIDE BODY WORK UNDER THE SIDE PANELS TO GIVE ME AN IDEA AS TO WHAT TO SEAL UP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks again

BigSwede
04/20/2012, 06:16 PM
Hey, I don't know anybody that likes the smell of gear oil!

CatFish
04/20/2012, 10:19 PM
If you cannot have a cat you might consider a small terrier dog, my Dad has a Norfolk terrier and that dog will not leave the garage if he thinks there are still mice in the garage, he loves to kill and eat mice. A lot of terriers are bread for killing vermin and they are good at it too. Now I am not saying get a dog and keep it in the garage, I am just suggesting getting one and let it hunt all it wants as time permits. My Dads dog has all but eliminated the mice in his garage. Granted the mice will continue to get in or try too, but as long as the dog can go in and hunt at will you will see a lot less and maybe none after a while. Also a lot of terriers are wire haired and are less allergenic than regular haired dogs and cats. There are also other breads of small dogs that are bread for the purpose vermin hunting, like schipperkes for example. Maybe this is an option you could explore and save a nice dog from the pound in the process.

Paul_A
04/21/2012, 07:34 AM
Liking the idea of the glue traps! They seem to be the only thing that works on the little bu%%ers!

tom4bren
04/23/2012, 06:12 AM
My mom has been trying the ultrasonic/electronic deterents for years. Everytime she comes across a new version, she's buying it...all to no avail. Tom, I'll suggest she go to Lowes and give theirs a try, thanks. She refuses to use anything that might actually KILL THEM...For the life of me, I don't know why!!! I didn't mean to come off as "Mr. Know-It-All" about the cat remedy, it just has worked for me for many years and we do REALLY have allot of the little edibles up here. Whatever you choose, I hope it works. for you.:rotate:

Yah, I've had mixed success with them as a whole. I made my first one & it worked like a champ. Lost the schematic to that one years ago.

The little bitty ones that just hang on the outlet don't seem to work very well. I'm thinking that you just need to get some power out of the thing for it to be effective and those little speakers just don't seem to do the trick. The one I keep under the RV does actually seem to work though (at least I haven't seen any signs of damage after the $800 repair bill caused by wire chewers).

The ones that advertise to feed ultrasonics back into the household wiring don't seem to work either.

eternal21
04/23/2012, 07:52 AM
I think this is hilarious, b/c the question @ hand still isn't being answered. Disasterlady, I would say that you might want to start another thread about openings in the truck, as this one is pretty much gone out the window.

My thoughts are they could get in pretty much anywhere, but the most logical approach is that they must be climbing into the vehicle from the ground, and the only parts of the vehicle touching the ground are the tires. If it were me, I'd start my deterrents @ the tires.

To get them out of the truck, also if it were me, I'd pull out the back seats and the carpet, then buy some black cats (the firework variety), and set them off. It is well documented that mice don't like loud noises. You might even be able to tell where they're leaving from, and find the path they're using to help you determine how they're getting in. Do it in the middle of the night over a few nights, they'll get the hint.

tom4bren
04/23/2012, 11:01 AM
I think this is hilarious, b/c the question @ hand still isn't being answered. Disasterlady, I would say that you might want to start another thread about openings in the truck, as this one is pretty much gone out the window.

Posts 10, 16, & 29 took a stab at it.

To get them out of the truck, also if it were me, I'd pull out the back seats and the carpet, then buy some black cats (the firework variety), and set them off. It is well documented that mice don't like loud noises. You might even be able to tell where they're leaving from, and find the path they're using to help you determine how they're getting in. Do it in the middle of the night over a few nights, they'll get the hint.

:freek:

Pyrotechnics inside of a vehicle is NEVER a good idea.

eternal21
04/23/2012, 01:37 PM
:freek:

Pyrotechnics inside of a vehicle is NEVER a good idea.

I don't know if I would call black cats a "pyrotechnic", per say. I know a guy as a kid would light them one at a time and let them pop in his hand. Still has all his fingers.

If she's weary about that method, just an old 2 gal boiling pan and stick 'em in there. Should be just fine.

tom4bren
04/23/2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry but I'm overly cautious about those things.

Can you create & post a how 2 video so we know it's a safe thing to do?

Just kidding. Don't do it & I don't recommend that disasterlady try it either.

I doubt that the gaseous expansion of a firecracker would be enough to break a window out but I wouldn't think that a .762 round would create enough to pop the windshield out of a cargo van with the rear doors open ... but I've seen the results of that mistake. No, it wasn't me that did it but I did get pulled in for the IG report.

AlaskaVX
04/23/2012, 04:29 PM
I kinda like the firecracker idea, to see if they abandon ship, and maybe find where they are coming from. If you put them in a 5-gallon bucket they won't fly around and it even makes them louder imho. Just keep the windows down, but I doubt that they would do anything except make your VX smell like Fireworks (probobly better than it does now) and I love the smell of fireworks. :yesy:

disasterlady
04/24/2012, 06:27 PM
You guys are funny, I might as well sit out in the VX all night with a Glock!
tom4bren: no worries, I am sure there are better ways. I did order some ultra-do-hickeys, unfortunately, they are the plug in outlet type, so I'll try em out, then move up. Also, while waiting for them I found some Ridrite plugins cheap @ Biglots and am trying them out.

eternal21: I think you are right... I have kind of given up on this thread, but check for the entertainment factor. I did tear off the inner side panels and found how they are getting into that part, but cannot see down inside the body cavities to the undercarriage which is where they are getting in. I also took the cowling off and screened over the air/AC intake as I KNEW they were coming in there... so far no more nuts in the blower ( yet!).