PDA

View Full Version : MD laws and Repair Orders

Lizardmen3477
04/08/2012, 10:22 AM
So apparently if you get pulled over for your tint and get a repair order and you put it back on after you take it off to get signed off and you get pulled over again, well that pisses a cop off and ya get slammed with a Must Appear Charge along with some other fines and such. This charge come to find out is a Jail-able offense, that I should "lawyer up" for. So why is it that MD is so rediculous about this all of a sudden I mean I was floored when the officer told me this now I have day in and day out agony of awaiting my court date to see if I am going to be a free man. Let alone atleast $1k+ is lawyer fees and fines :( sad sad day. Ps Happy Easter !

Why cant cops do something useful god I hate MD and wish I could leave this ****hole seems its just getting worse. Lets pick on people with nice cars that stick out and punish them, but leave the Mexican ****mobiles alone.

H3_VX
04/08/2012, 10:30 AM
So apparently if you get pulled over for your tint and get a repair order and you put it back on after you take it off to get signed off and you get pulled over again, well that pisses a cop off and ya get slammed with a Must Appear Charge along with some other fines and such. This charge come to find out is a Jail-able offense, that I should "lawyer up" for. So why is it that MD is so rediculous about this all of a sudden I mean I was floored when the officer told me this now I have day in and day out agony of awaiting my court date to see if I am going to be a free man. Let alone atleast $1k+ is lawyer fees and fines :( sad sad day. Ps Happy Easter !

Why cant cops do something useful god I hate MD and wish I could leave this ****hole seems its just getting worse. Lets pick on people with nice cars that stick out and punish them, but leave the Mexican ****mobiles alone.

Thats sucks. Good luck to you! Move to NH.

CoastieCosta567
04/08/2012, 10:42 AM

Sucks Mae, I really wish u luck and feel ya, that is not right. Just one question, what does ethnic background have to do with anything? Hmmmmm, take it out on the system, not pointing the finger at others. Passing the hot potato around does not fix the issue. Cooling it, and eating it does.

WormGod
04/09/2012, 07:03 AM
I went through the same thing years ago. On my VX even. But, when I had my repair order, I just had the tint replaced with "legal" tint. Understand, you can pretty much go as dark as you want on an SUV in MD, just follow the rules on the 2 side front windows and you will be left alone. That is the key.

I would almost agree with you on how silly it is to be petty about tint, but i guess putting yourself in their shoes and knowing you have to approach a vehicle that you can not see into because of tint makes one "overly cautious". Nothing like getting pulled over for a tail light out at gun point because your tint is dark and they have no clue what they are getting into. *shrug*

Osteomata
04/09/2012, 07:52 AM
I went through the same thing years ago. On my VX even. But, when I had my repair order, I just had the tint replaced with "legal" tint. Understand, you can pretty much go as dark as you want on an SUV in MD, just follow the rules on the 2 side front windows and you will be left alone. That is the key.

I would almost agree with you on how silly it is to be petty about tint, but i guess putting yourself in their shoes and knowing you have to approach a vehicle that you can not see into because of tint makes one "overly cautious". Nothing like getting pulled over for a tail light out at gun point because your tint is dark and they have no clue what they are getting into. *shrug*

"Roll your windows down sir" from the cop car PA system solves this problem, doesn't it? I can't recall seeing anyone leave their windows up when pulled over. And since they don't seem to require the back windows to be rolled down, then why is the law only restricitve for the front to side windows? Almost sounds backwards, or at best poorly thought out and unnecesarry.. Me thinks this is was a classic legislative case of a solutoin looking for a non-existant problem and relying on the "won't anyone think of the heroic police officers" meme to negate criticism and opposition. Comply citizen! is problably the strongest argument the law and order crowd has for this.

JAMAS
04/09/2012, 08:14 AM
I know this doesn't help your situation, but when I have been pulled over, I roll all my windows down and put my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. I also turn on all dome lights if night time. These little things make the cop feel safer and perhaps a little more lenient. I have even been told by a cop friend that they also appreciate when you put your hands out the window so they can see them as they approach.

knock on wood, I haven't had to utilize these techniques in awhile. I guess I am getting slow and law abiding in my old age.

The last time I was pulled over in the Vehicross, I still had the Ferrari badging on it (removed about 2 years ago). I remember he asked me for license and proof of insurance. I handed over both and after looking at my insurance card, he said "No, I need your insurance card for THIS car". I said "Sorry for the confusion, but this is actually an Isuzu Vehicross, not a Ferrari". I quick check of the seat back of my recaro seat (imprinted with Vehicross) and confirmation of my VIN number and I was sent on my way.

WormGod
04/10/2012, 07:08 AM
Never said I had to go through it (ticketed JUST for that). I got mine after getting busted for some street racing BS. Not letting an impatient car around me that decides to use a merge lane to pass is apparently speed contesting in some officer's eyes (I guess in a sense, it is, heh). Heck, I wasn't even in the car when they decided to write the window order up. I was too busy sitting on the curb with cuffs on. *sigh*

Sometimes, they will dig deep to find just about anything, and they usually do if they go deep enough. I have had few bad encounters with police, and happen to be very good friends with a lot. No love loss though. Live and learn. I have had more positive encounters than bad.

In the end, I just find it's best to stay legit to avoid a cop that may have a chip on his shoulder or just simply having a bad day.

You want funny, you should see the guys in VA with early model STi's. They are getting pulled over for "higher than legal hood scoops". The best part is, these are stock, factory hoods and scoops. OEM scoops apparently exceed the state's allowable height by a very slight amount, and cops have been ticketing (or trying) folks about it. Imagine how frustrated THAT would make you, hehe.

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2012, 07:39 AM
A short story...
My brother got pulled over back in the day, when street racing was real big in Orlando, a few years before the first Fast and Furious movie came out and Civics and Integras was the car people wanted to race. So cops where out looking for cars like that. My brother had a second generation Integra with 5% tint, with the windows rolled down. The cop pulled him over and couldn't find anything wrong, and pulled him over for no reason. Right before he left, he asked my brother to roll ur windows up, and bam, behold, he found something, the tint and gave him a ticket. My brother had the balls to ask and said why u pulled me over for no reason. The cop really told him, that a cop can't pull no1 over unless there was a reason to, and left. So the darn cop really was scavenging around to find a way to justify his pulling over, darn oink. Well that was back in the 90's, and now, cops don't really car that much about it in Florida, but every once in a while there is an old fart cop that does. The younger cops grew up in the environment, so now are more chill about it then the older ones. Still, its illegal, 35% is legal in Florida for the front windows, but u'll get away with it with 20% tint, and it still looks good. My VX has 5% all around, and knock on wood, still out of site, cuz its not a street racer, or lowrider, so cops don't bother lifted trucks. My WRX has 20% front, and 5% around, and that is still staying somewhat in the legal area, and out of cops sight. But I still roll down my windows every time I see a cop around or hear my radar go off, especially at night. Guess old habit from my brothers pull over, and it has worked so far.

Lizardmen3477
04/10/2012, 09:59 AM
Yea i had 5% all around 2% according to their meters for about 8 years never a problem now all of a sudden it is and they have been hitting me hard. So until i can find a doctor to help me out with a certification form that will allow me to have an illegal limit in my fronts( the rear is still 5) I am stuck with dealing with 35% unless I want to sit in jail for 30days. Which still may happen I am awaiting my court date, but im sure if i am ever pulled over again for it they will Jail me on the spot, so the cop says. After all those years of driven in the dark per say it is bothersome to only have 35% upfront.

CoastieCosta567
04/10/2012, 10:18 AM
Mae, I really hope u don't spend time inside a butt holes worse nightmare. i wish ya plenty of hope my friend.

WormGod
04/11/2012, 06:22 AM
You know, if anything, I love my dark tint, though completely tintless on both cars now. The reason I love it so.... black leather interior in both. Methinks lawmakers have never had dark leather interior during hot summer months, heh. Peals skin of ya's!

vt_maverick
04/11/2012, 07:15 AM
I can see why cops would not want dark tint on a vehicle as they approach (especially at night) but jail time of any kind seems a bit ridiculous for tint. They should just give you a huge fine and call it a day - throwing you in jail just costs the state and its tax payers money. How is that a win for anyone?

circmand
04/11/2012, 07:45 AM
There is also a safety reason for maximum tint. It is visibility. You drive at night with dark tint sure the cop can't see in but also your visibility outwards is cut too. They cant pass laws on having a minimum number of windows but where you have windows they can regulate limiting.

Lizardmen3477
04/11/2012, 08:51 AM
Yea, well have to bring a lawyer because its a "jail-able" offense. Hoping the judge isnt in a pissy mood. I doubt I will have jailtime over this but the thought that I could is just crazy. Ima start a "Keep Me Free" campaign lol. If anything Im sure ill get slapped with a huge fine and be on my way, with a dont do it again kinda thing.

dietz99vcross
04/11/2012, 07:35 PM
When I went and got my windows tinted the guy at the shop said he could put the limo dark tint on all the windows but the cops would most likely get me asap. He suggested, and I followed, with the really dark tint on the rear hatch, 2 back side windows and the small windows immediately behind the doors, he then applied the next level up (which is still legally too dark) on the two door windows. This way the cops would see that the door windows are lighter and probably let me slide. I have been pulled over twice since for unrelated issues (expired tags and some other rinky dink reason) and both times have not been questioned about the tint.