PDA

View Full Version : Finally did my window mod thing

Bob Barker
03/29/2012, 05:02 PM
So I was talking about removing the quarter windows (just behind front doors) to allow my dogs some airflow and a place to stick their heads out. That was a long time ago. This weekend with about two hours total work I removed the glass (biggest pain in the ***) with a razor blade, cleaned off the left over glues/seal, got some Lexan and traced the shape of the window onto it. Make sure to press the Lexan against the factory glass to account for the curve of it. Drilled two holes in the frame around the window, used two existing holes, matched and drilled holes in the Lexan and viola I've got a removeable window!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/IMAG0886.jpg

Takes about 10 seconds to get out completely. I added the metal band straps with a slight bend in them to ensure the seal is water and air tight. They look better without the band but work best with. I may paint those parts black someday.

Makes the doggies happy! At least one of them, she wouldn't share the air space.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/IMAG0885.jpg

Total materials cost was ~$20 for the lexan *each window; $20 for the strapping material, was one stick and cut to length with plenty left over; and a couple bucks for the hardware and seal material. Oh, and I tack welded the four bolts into the holes I used for them. Easy breezy removal if/when needed and the original window can be reinstalled. I may look into the rear glass, but they aren't as easy to get to for cutting outs sake.

Bob Barker
03/29/2012, 05:05 PM
I know it's not really detailed write up, any questions on details just ask. I'm headed to the bar!

VXorado
03/29/2012, 05:49 PM
Good idea :thumbup:

Personally...I hate the metal straps because it makes the window look unfinished. Just my opinion but I would figure out a latch system from the inside. They make various latch setups for manual sunroofs that clamp down to make a seal but allow you to remove the window completely for the doggie.

Or could you add more bolts at the metal strap area to insure the seal?

Still I love the function and your dog seems happy.

twalker920
03/29/2012, 06:42 PM
Great idea for your hounds!

Here's a thought:

Lexan can be shaped with heat.

If you dry your pieces in your oven at about 250F for say 10 hours to get any moisture out (this prevents bubbles when you heat it up to the softening point), you can then use your braces you already have installed as your form.

Set your oven at 370 - 380F (shouldn't need higher with this simple a bend) and give it a few minutes. Keep an eye on it, and I would suggest putting some dessicant in the oven to keep moisture out of the soft plastic. With your braces and the simple bend you need it should only take 10-15 minutes to get the shape, or less. Let them cool, and then you can get rid of the metal braces!

You should use a reasonably accurate thermometer in your oven to do this. My oven sucks, so I bought a $6 oven thermometer that stays on one of the racks inside the oven from Bed Bath and Beyond because the built in oven thermometer is off by about 50 degrees to the cold side (i.e. it burned everything if I relied on it to bake stuff).

hankstrange
03/30/2012, 03:51 AM
necessity is the mother of invention!

Bob Barker
04/01/2012, 06:07 AM
The straps definitely look hokey! I can admit that. I will try the oven thing for the passengers side. Thanks for that tip! Can lexan be tinted? It's crystal clear and the rest of the truck's glass is tinted.

I could probably find some easy to install clamps as well. I'll look around autozone and home depot for something next time I'm there.

I can report too that at high way speeds in a very heavy downpour yesterday it worked great. No whistle and no water leaks.

twalker920
04/01/2012, 10:24 AM
True polycarbonate (Lexan) tinting can only be done by the molder/mfg at the time the plastic is made.

I don't know whether stick-on tint will stick...but what's the worst that could happen other than having to peel it off again?

Also, check out Grainger or McMaster-Carr for clamps. They have so many it could take some searching.

Edit to add: you know, looking at the photo with your dog...you could almost do it with velcro all the way around the edge. The miracle of the space age! Cheap to try maybe and shouldn't damage anything or require drilling any holes.

Bob Barker
04/01/2012, 11:08 AM
velcro sounds like a very easy set up I'm just concerned if it would seal out water and wind noise. Outside of that it would be far easier to use some sticky tape and strips of velcro!

twalker920
04/01/2012, 11:41 AM
Obviously I am not spending the time on this I would if it were my own VX :) but here's a thought:

put some very soft rubber gasket/piping around the very outer edge of the Lexan, then the velcro inside that, so that when you press the velco to the frame it slightly compresses the rubber piping. Will take some searching and trial and error, but other than that I think you will need clamps and weatherstripping if you want complete weatherproofing.

Again McMaster-Carr should have several kinds of rubber piping, or even some with adhesive already on. Although for the velcro I would use body tape as you don't want to keep pulling the velcro off your window frame every time you take the lexan window out.

Bob Barker
04/01/2012, 07:15 PM
Good thoughts. I wonder if there is some sort of "zipper" type of material I can use, like what's used in zip lock baggies. I'm going to do some searching for that.

VXorado
03/05/2013, 04:23 PM
I saw the "for sale" ad and it reminded me of this mod. I was curious if you had any updates on the window before your VX goes to a new owner. Did you find a new way to latch the window?

SomeoneElse
03/24/2013, 05:12 PM
If not, I'm sure I will find a way to latch it closed. With any luck, It will be on its way to me in Colorado by the end of the week. I would think something like a rubberized latch like http://www.boaterbits.ca/deck-hardware/hatch-adjusters/motor-box-hood-latches-hold-downs-stainless-rubber.html mounted to the inside of the window/frame would be viable. My Dogs are gonna love it.

VXorado
03/24/2013, 06:23 PM
If not, I'm sure I will find a way to latch it closed. With any luck, It will be on its way to me in Colorado by the end of the week. I would think something like a rubberized latch like http://www.boaterbits.ca/deck-hardware/hatch-adjusters/motor-box-hood-latches-hold-downs-stainless-rubber.html mounted to the inside of the window/frame would be viable. My Dogs are gonna love it.

Hey Congrats... glad Colorado will have another cool VX. :thumbup:

...and I'd like to see what you come up with for the latch.

JoFotoz
03/24/2013, 06:43 PM
CONGRATS...

It will be on its way to me in Colorado by the end of the week. .

To both seller and Buyer.

Come hang out in Moab in May :thumbup:

Plenty of other Colorado folk to join up with and wander on over!

Jo