PDA

View Full Version : $ The Nation Fuel Cost, and VX MPG Record Thread. $

CoastieCosta567
03/27/2012, 08:53 AM
Hey all, I know many people write about this randomly and what not, so I felt like its time to start a new thread that was 'Just' about anyone's experience with fuel cost at any given time, VX MPG Brag or Gag Records, and share ideas to help save gas. I think this will be a very helpful little post to combine ideas to better fuel economy savings for those coming up new trips and where one also can plan good places to stop and get gas nationwide by historical experience of good gas stations. Will make the search button much easier in this topic alone. :bgwo:.

CoastieCosta567
03/27/2012, 09:07 AM
I'll start the first one, I just drove down south last night to Orlando FL area from Burnsville NC and I did an average MPG of 18mpg. The first pump was driving down hill almost all the way and did 19.5mpg, the second pump driving pretty much strait did 17mpg. With a total of 615 miles. I spend $100 in 'used' fuel. First pump was near Asheville in Arden, NC area at $3.799 and got 19.001 gallons. The second pump St. George, SC at $3.639, got 9.687 gallons.

To add the extras I forget, thanks 89Vette,
-31" tires, added to mpg calculation. My trip-omitter reads 9/10 of every more, so meaning 10% needs to be added. (ex. 10% of 300 is 30, so add 30 to the actual reading in your dash = 330 with 31' tires.)
-50F-60F degrees outside temp.
-Drove 65mph the whole way, 99% HWY.
-tire pressure at 32psi.
-EGR code on.
-Power mode off the whole way.
-VX roof rack, roof basket, roof scoop, wind fairing, spare tire on top of roof.
-Proper/average Engine temp.

Ala5ka
03/27/2012, 09:40 AM
Drove 450 from Wickenburg AZ to Santa Barbara Ca, some mostly straight roads, some really hilly stuff through the desert. Used 1 3/4 tank roughly. 18mpg average. When I left AZ it was $3.83 when I got to Santa Barbara it is $4.86. I did about 70-80mph the whole way with bigger tires (power button on of course)

89Vette
03/27/2012, 10:07 AM
Even though there are other threads on this topic, I do think there's room for fine-tuning the topic. But, I haven't taken the opportunity to sit down and list the items I feel are necessary to make accurate comparisons.

The most obvious is what brand of fuel are you using? Even if 87-octane is the most common, I've fairly sure there can be a difference between station-brands.

Another point is how much city/hwy driving do you do?

Another is outside temps (especially is less than 100% of a trip was driven on the hwy).

Tire pressure is important.

So is running temp (is your guage in showing proper thermostat function).

Is everything else operating correctly (no codes, dragging brakes, etc...)

What's on the roof of your rig? If any kind of rack is present, that could also change MPG.

Tire diameters can also play a factor. And, do you account for that in your MPG calculations?

These are the most obvious thoughts that come to mind. Hopefully, you get the idea how many variables there can be in this type of comparison.

Osteomata
03/27/2012, 11:59 AM
- I removed my roof rack for a combo of the wind noise and a tiny boost to efficiency.

- I don't go out of my way to find cheaper gas stations, but I do find myself paying a lot more attnetion to which specific areas in my travels tend to have lower prices, and which specific stations on my regular routes have the cheapest.

- Be wary of the posted price, some of the cheaper ones are cash only, and I rarely use cash for anything. I got burned on this last weekend, pulling into a big name brand for $3.91, only to realize that was the cash only price after I started pumping. CC price was $4.01, 2.5% higher. If I had driven three more blocks there was a Valejo at $3.91 regardless of payment method.

- I have actually started to pay attention to cash back CCs, whereas previously I just played the airline points game. I used went and got a Chase Freedom Visa (no annual fee), which gave me $150 in credit just for getting the card, and gives 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter. Gas was the Jan-Mar option, which worked out well for me and the wife.

- For the first time in a while I am seriously considering giving up some vehicle freedom and a bit of time by carpooling.

kehecross
03/27/2012, 12:11 PM
Been playing with gas mileage for a couple of weeks now and the best I got was 16.5mpg up from 13.5mpg. All I did was pumped up the pressure in the stock 18's from 36lbs to 44lbs and added Lucas Fuel Treatment to the tank. This was all on secondary roads back and forth to work 18 miles each way. Next I will clean the EGR and a new air cleaner. Also the weather is a lot warmer now too.

VXorado
03/27/2012, 12:12 PM
I notice that 65 MPH vs. 75 MPH highway driving gives me most noticeable difference in MPG.

I typically get 12-13 MPG with the 35" tires. I can get up to 16 MPG on highways going 65 MPH.

The best MPG I ever recorded:
- October 2010
- Weather was cold/snowy
- Roads were mountain highways driving between 55-65 MPH
- I had TOD ON with hubs unlocked (until I spun out in the snow)
- Running 32" BFG mud terrians
- Roof Rack equipped
- VX went 405 miles on one tank, I filled up the tank with just over 20 gallons of gas and calculated 19.8 MPG.

Y33TREKker
03/27/2012, 04:26 PM
- I have actually started to pay attention to cash back CCs, whereas previously I just played the airline points game. I used went and got a Chase Freedom Visa (no annual fee), which gave me $150 in credit just for getting the card, and gives 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter. Gas was the Jan-Mar option, which worked out well for me and the wife.
It's also a good idea to watch credit card statements. I was making a cc payment online last week and on my recent list of charges noticed that from one specific gas station where I'd topped of with my cc, I'd been charged two separate $1 fees in addition to the price of the gas itself...apparently just for using my cc. When charges like that are piggybacked in at the pump, it sort of negates any discounts in the long run that a person may "think" they're getting.

ETA: I did make a recent interstate trip, but as I was towing a 6'x12' enclosed U-Haul trailer, don't think my recorded gas mileage averages will do anyone any good in this thread.

VX KAT
03/27/2012, 05:49 PM
an easy tool to keep track and compare your MPG to others is this free website: fuelly.com
etlsport, knigh7s , jHarris, breez and myself track our mileage here.

You can even compare against other identical vehicles:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/isuzu/vehicross

CoastieCosta567
03/27/2012, 09:28 PM
an easy tool to keep track and compare your MPG to others is this free website: fuelly.com

That's so cool, ill get in there add my #s, Looks like the 1999's are doing good, but yet again, that moonbuggy says they do 23mpg, ummmmm questionable, but would like to know if its true. That would be crazy cool.

lasturbo
03/27/2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks KAT, just signed up. Cool site!

89Vette
03/28/2012, 10:13 AM
moonbuggy says they do 23mpg, ummmmm questionable, but would like to know if its true. That would be crazy cool.

It can't be true. If you look at their detail page....
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imtrevonte/vehicross

You'll see their is no consistency. Everything from 3.7MPG to 57.1 MPG is listed!!! WTH!!! It would seem he/she may not enter or understand the site correctly -- as this type of variance would be impossible.

I think it's a good site. OTOH, unlike Kat's forsale check list, it lacks the details I feel are important. If you're wondering what I mean, refer back to my first post in this thread -- where I talk about the details I feel are necessary to make any type of vehicle-to-vehicle comparison.

From what I see, The fuelly site is a reasonable tool to confirm/deny EPA estimated fuel ratings.

VX KAT
03/28/2012, 11:31 AM
It can't be true. If you look at their detail page....
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imtrevonte/vehicross

You'll see their is no consistency. Everything from 3.7MPG to 57.1 MPG is listed!!! WTH!!! It would seem he/she may not enter or understand the site correctly -- as this type of variance would be impossible.

I think it's a good site. OTOH, unlike Kat's forsale check list, it lacks the details I feel are important. If you're wondering what I mean, refer back to my first post in this thread -- where I talk about the details I feel are necessary to make any type of vehicle-to-vehicle comparison.

From what I see, The fuelly site is a reasonable tool to confirm/deny EPA estimated fuel ratings.

IMHO.....I think you're over thinking it a bit.:p
it's def not a scientific statistical analysis, just an easy way to keep a log of your MPG and glance at others MPG if you feel like it.

p.s. - So I take it that means you LIKE the detailed questionnaire/check list?! :laugho:....:goof:.....:slap:

twalker920
03/29/2012, 05:18 PM
Just gassed up my VX, calculated 14.1 mpg, which is up a little bit. I just cleaned the Dragon air intake though 2 days ago (not many miles on that tank), so it will probably tick up to over 15 like the last time I cleaned it. Gas here in Denver is still "down" around the $3.70 mark...I guess that's good? Although I noticed one place adverstising $3.64 then with small print below "with purchase of a car wash". It used to be the other way around...you buy gas and get a discount on the car wash. Sigh.

I'll be riding my Triumph Street Triple R as much as possible, since 45-50 mpg helps clear my conscience to drive the VX :D

I didn't buy my VX to be a daily driver, and we have had a VERY mild (they are already talking about droughts this summer) winter this year. The few snows we had allowed the VX to prove itself as I knew it would. I really love my truckcarthing!

89Vette
03/29/2012, 09:00 PM
IMHO.....I think you're over thinking it a bit.:p
it's def not a scientific statistical analysis, just an easy way to keep a log of your MPG and glance at others MPG if you feel like it.

p.s. - So I take it that means you LIKE the detailed questionnaire/check list?! :laugho:....:goof:.....:slap:

Point taken...In that case, you're questionnaire is tedious and we shouldn't be interested in learning if/how to improve MPG's from each other.

Oh wait. It can't be improved. Jerry Lemond told me so.

I'd just like to know how a few people have posted 20+MPG claims over the years. I guess if you drive down the mountains, don't hit stoptlights, have the wind behind your back, and don't fill the tank ALL the way back up, anything is possible!

FWIW: I won't post to the fuelly site. Though it's nice, I can't see it being enlightening. Again, not enough detail. All I do is reset the trip odo after every fill-up. Take the mileage and divide by gals of gas.

I'm up to 15.5 with 90% city driving. And most are short trips in the 5m range. Hard to get great mpg doing that, right?

Vendetta
03/29/2012, 09:08 PM
Back in early 00s, I recorded MANY 20+MPG tanks during long interstate drives. I used to be religious about keeping the running list in my Palm Pilot. Yes, I said Palm Pilot.

I mean, these weren't even flukes. They happened routinely. I was bone stock + roof rack and have only ever used 93 octane or greater in the tank.

-V

89Vette
03/29/2012, 10:10 PM
I used to be religious about keeping the running list in my Palm Pilot. Yes, I said Palm Pilot.

:laughing:

:thumbup:

VX KAT
03/29/2012, 10:35 PM
:laughing:

:thumbup:

I've been keeping track of my MPG for years and years...I mean like 20+ years....don't know why, just keep doing it...put me in the neurotic category I guess...:goof: I don't do it to change my driving habits to max MPG, or anything like that...I just keep recording it cuz I'm curious.

I got 21 or 22 twice, all stock, all highway driving (actually it was driving to Moab 2009 and then driving to New Mexico to meet up with some other Moab-bound VXer, and then drive up to Moab.

Seriously, I do remember there was a tremendous (I mean MEAN) tail wind on the NM trip...it just HAD to have an affect, cuz I had skids, roof rack, f/s spare in basket...and of course I did factor in the adjustment for my larger tires.

So I know it's "possible" but extremely unlikely to hit the 20s for anything but a stocker w/o sticky rubber. I also believe the summer/winter gas formulation has a tremendous impact on it (in places where that exists). :thumbdn: When I lived in LA the winter gas (pretty sure it was the winter formula) dropped my MPG by at least 10%...booo!!! So maybe some of that issue is affecting MPG on some VXers?

Some here mentioned they had some increase in MPG when they used Premium all the time.....so I tried that for a while...like 13 months!....didn't see much difference and went back to regular.

twalker920
03/30/2012, 09:27 AM
Some here mentioned they had some increase in MPG when they used Premium all the time.....so I tried that for a while...like 13 months!....didn't see much difference and went back to regular.

Premium has VERY little to do with efficiency or power. Anyone interested should read this article from a recent issue of Road & Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-news/tech/premium-fuel-futures

I am especially glad he says "In fact, depending on its blending, a premium fuel may actually contain less energy per unit volume than regular."

More Octane does not equal more power. Use the mfg's recommended grade. That's all. The only other significant difference is how much non-gasoline is in your premium gas. More super detergents in the premium fuels actually means less real gas per gallon...

I put regular in my VX and Triumph bike, as recommended by Triumph.

The only exception to this is one gas station near me that sells premium with ZERO ethanol during the summer (as opposed to 10% at all other stations). That can make a difference in power and efficiency since ethanol has a lower energy content than normal gasoline. But it's spendy stuff - usually 30 cents higher than I pay for regular. I have only ever put it in my bike and gotten an extra 40 miles out of a tank (before the light came on - I kept waiting, and waiting, and riding really slowly).

VX KAT
03/30/2012, 12:16 PM
thanks tw....great info!

Dang, can't find the thread about Premium yielding greater MPG...I recall somebody had done a pretty long term test and was posting the results that supported it.
But.......... along the way I decided to capture many MPG/Premium fuel threads and discussions to put in my reference file.

Here's the MPG/Premium references I grouped:

Octane and premium discussion from 2009:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16418&highlight=mpg+premium

MPG / AWD/ locking hubs/manual hubs from 2009
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15667&highlight=mpg+premium

MPG / Premium discussion from 2008:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13973&highlight=mpg+premium
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=127923&postcount=104

MPG and altitude, from 2008:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=127946&postcount=107

Can MPG be increased, Rolling resistance, tire size , PSI, from 2007:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11138&highlight=mpg+premium

Actual MPG obtained - discussion on what mods affect it, from 2007:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10938&highlight=mpg+premium

Here's an older thread discussing MPG from many original owners, or very early owners, from 2005.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6917&highlight=stats+VX+mileage

Octane- older discussion & POLL from 2004
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3184&highlight=mpg+premium

Any tips for increasing MPG, from 2004:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=5748&highlight=mpg+premium

FUELLY
Website where you track your MPG:
www.fuelly.com

GASBUDDY.COM
Helps find lowest price gasoline in area
Nationwide maps, tips,.
http://gasbuddy.com/

89Vette
03/30/2012, 02:09 PM
Dang, can't find the thread about Premium yielding greater MPG...I recall somebody had done a pretty long term test and was posting the results that supported it.

I've read several of the threads you linked above. I don't know which link it is, but there is a long-running thread about which octane do you use. In it, I'm fairly certain the conclusion was that lower octane normally created better power.

Because higher octane fuels contain additives that "retard" detonation, they also slow the flame-front. In real terms, that's the speed of combustion. FWIW, the best [cylinder] chambers are the ones where the fuel is squeezed into the smallest ball -- so the detonation creates the fastest flame-front.

One of the posters in the octance thread talked about using 85-octance -- which most of us haven't ever seen. For similar reasons in my paragraph above, it was shown that lower octane created better power -- because it burns faster.

With high-compression engines you don't want the detonation (created by the higher cylinder pressures), so the fuel has to be "de-tuned" to avoid pre-mature explosion. The end result is you still can make more power with high-compression and high-octane, but you also should use the lowest octane necessary to avoid detonation. It provides the best power/efficiency and the lowest fuel cost.

100% gasoline (that's still available in a few 91-octane stations) will improve MPG. But I'm doubtful it raises MPG's enough to offset the extra cost/gallon. (Gasoline has more BTUs (power) than ethanol -- which is why it provides better mpg. I believe it's only in the 3-5% range [more powerful] but the cost can be more than 3-5% higher.)

twalker920
03/30/2012, 03:59 PM
FYI 85 octane is our "regular" at Denver altitudes, 87 is mid grade and 89 premium. There are a few places around town that sell 91, but you just don't need it. At this altitude again with the engine getting less O2 per CF it is like reducing your cylinder compression, which inherently reduces the chance of knock...which is all higher octane is for.

Ethanol-free gasoline is best used if you are going for total range on a tank. It will get you further than the emissions-friendly diluted stuff. It's one of the reasons I chose to use it in my bike so I could go maybe 150+ miles up in the mountains without refueling (gas is 30-50 cents higher in most mountain towns - some due to tourism, some to actual transportation costs to remote areas). So if I can go further on "cheap" lowland gas, it's worth it to me sometimes.

Flex fuel vehicles that can run on gas or E85 (worst marketing decision ever) can see as much as a 20-25% range (it might even be more - I am recalling another Road & Track article) hit by using a full tank of E85 over gasoline. That's a big deal if you're a rancher or oil/gas-field worker out in the middle of nowhere for extended periods of time.

At least we don't have any complicated factors to consider when buying gas!(removes tongue from cheek)