PDA

View Full Version : Need help with airbag change

catskilljay
03/25/2012, 09:06 PM
So I finelly got another VX woohoo!! 99 Astral w/only 78000k. She was in a wreck and fixed some what but still has lots of cosmetic issues. Engine runs like a top. Been having lots of fun swapping off of my 2000 parts mobile these last few weeks. Next up install airbags. Can someone please direct me or send me a link on how to go about. I've searched the site and cant seem to find any threads or how to's. Don't know where I'd be without this site and it members!! Thanks Freaks

Ldub
03/26/2012, 05:41 AM
So I finelly got another VX woohoo!! 99 Astral w/only 78000k. She was in a wreck and fixed some what but still has lots of cosmetic issues. Engine runs like a top. Been having lots of fun swapping off of my 2000 parts mobile these last few weeks. Next up install airbags. Can someone please direct me or send me a link on how to go about. I've searched the site and cant seem to find any threads or how to's. Don't know where I'd be without this site and it members!! Thanks Freaks

DL the workshop manual here (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20)

There are instructions contained within...:smilewink

(section 9-J)

Spike
03/26/2012, 06:13 AM
(crickets)

I have a newer/better condition OEM steering wheel that I want to swap .. but do not know how to work with the airbag either ... then again, I have not researched it yet ...

VXorado
03/26/2012, 01:06 PM
Well the steering wheel airbag is very easy.

Two torx bolts (same size as cladding torx) on the steering wheel hold the airbag in place. Remove both bolts and pull airbag from steering wheel. Disconnect two electrical fittings. Then reverse order to install new airbag and you're done.

circmand
03/26/2012, 01:12 PM
Don't you need to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery first to prevent deployment of the airbag while working?

Etfren
03/26/2012, 01:34 PM
Its a good idea, but not necessary. I don't think I did when I swapped out my steering wheel a few months ago.

dietz99vcross
03/26/2012, 03:29 PM
Hey Catskilljay, so you have this 2000 VX that you are taking the airbag from and using on your 99. So you got any plans for the rest of the steering wheel from the 2000? Assuming it is in mostly decent shape, perhaps a purchase could be in line to replace the ratty original one I have on my 99. Let me know

Mike

catskilljay
03/27/2012, 06:20 AM
Ldub thanks sooo much for the DL link I was hoping to find that here and it's been very helpful.(and thanks to Moncha,John Ford n Uncle Asa for original link) :) So i already had battery disconnected and steering wheel off jus was afraid to unplug bag without researching further. My questions now are with the (SDM) sensing and diagnostic modul and fuses etc. in vehicle that has had deployment. Dont want to jump the gun and have vehicle reject it. And that passenger bag seems to be a bit harder to get at. Definitely will have to read the manuals a bunch more times before I go at it again! dietz99vcross so you got dibs on wheel I guess I'll have to make sure she's @ her finale resting spot before I shake on it. Interesting my 99 is in better shape that my 2000. It's worn but in decent shape. IM me or email me offer n I'll send ya pic.