PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" lift

metalman1980
03/17/2012, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know if doing only a 1.5" lift will require doing the diff drop?
I was thinking of buying these:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1_12_22_26&products_id=20

and cranking the torsions just enough until level. I'd rather not have to go into modding/welding the front end if at all possible.

MSHardeman
03/18/2012, 09:13 AM
You shouldn't have to drop the diff with a 1.5" lift.... heck you really don't even need to drop the diff with a 3" lift. I've had a 3" lift on my VX for the past three or four years and finally tore the drivers side boot last year and only because they where ten years old and had dryed out. I was told that if I got under there and "treated" the boots (ArmorAll, or some such thing) every now and then they probably would have lasted longer.

89Vette
03/18/2012, 09:21 AM
Try the search feature and use "lift" as your search term. Ask for threads with that in the title alone. See how many times your question has been answered.

To give you a head start, here's the single best thread I've ever seen...
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15476

Looks like the next thing you'll need to do is confirm the part number for the link you posted!!!

JoFotoz
03/18/2012, 12:33 PM
In a word...

.....NO.

Plenty of 3 inch lifts out there with no diff drop.

The link Vette gave is invaluable for spring choice.

CV boots may tear right after lift as they are "used" to a different angle ...
...keep an eye on them , and as Mark says..lube 'em..keep them supple :p

jo

tjh
03/18/2012, 12:44 PM
I was thinking of buying these:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1_12_22_26&products_id=20

and cranking the torsions just enough until level. I'd rather not have to go into modding/welding the front end if at all possible.

I purchased said springs, They lifted my VX 2.25" . I doubled checked my order and the box that the springs came in they all have 1.5" written on them.

I cranked the torsion bars so that the VX has the same factory stance, rather than leveling it out. I have not had any cv issues yet. When first lifted
during deceleration from highway speeds The VX did have a vibration up front, but that went away after about 6,months .

My VX has been lifted for about 3 years . It's also my DD.

89Vette
03/18/2012, 01:17 PM
Out of curiousity...which spring (in the link) is the 1.5" VX spring?

OME 912, 913...something else?

JoFotoz
03/18/2012, 01:42 PM
Per Rickshaws thread on lift/spring experiments...

Out of curiousity...which spring (in the link) is the 1.5" VX spring?

OME 912, 913...something else?

Rear Lift Test Conclusion:

Lift with Daystar Spring Spacers on stock springs: 1 in. lift

Lift with Daystar Spring Spacers on stock springs with stock spring isolators: 1 1/4 in. lift

Lift with OME 913's with stock spring isolators 1 3/4 in. lift

Lift with OME 912's with stock spring isolators: 2 1/2 in. lift

jo

crager34
03/20/2012, 08:52 AM
I had OME 912's and lifted about 2.5. Done with the wheeling and like the raised look, so I gave away the 912's awhile back, replaced with stock and a 1" spacer and front end adjustment. NEVER a diff drop. NEVER a problem.