PDA

View Full Version : Rancho 9000XL Application with 3 Inch Lift

lasturbo
03/13/2012, 10:07 PM
Has anyone installed Rancho 9000XL shocks with a 3 inch lift from Calmini, the homegrown kit with ball- joint flip, torsion crank, OME Springs or the very expensive Independent 4X kit? The Rancho catalog only list a stock replacement 9000XL Shock:
RS9000XL SERIES SHOCK Stock Front RS999214 qty.2
RS9000XL SERIES SHOCK Stock Rear RS999215 qty.2
http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup.php?cat=shock&year=1999&make=ISUZU&model=Vehicross+&drive=4WD&height=Stock&submodel=All+Models&x=52&y=11

Has someone cross-referenced some 9000XL's to compensate for the lift? I tried to ask Independent 4X how they did it and got no reply. Here is one of the 3 inch kits using the 9000XL's:
https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1_12_22_26&products_id=192

Calmini was kind enough to give me their shock lengths with their 3 inch kit FYI:
Front compressed 9.5 inches
Front Extended 14.5 inches
Rear compressed 13.5 inches
Rear Extended 21.75 inches
http://www.pureisuzu.com/99-01_3_lift.htm

Rancho 9000XL Stock Shock Specs for VX:
Front compressed 10.340 inches. Front travel-4.160
Front Extended 14.500 inches
Rear compressed 13.150 inches. Rear travel-6.100
Rear Extended 19.250 inches

Triathlete
03/14/2012, 09:32 AM
Have you tried contacting Rancho? I would think that their help line or what ever they call it should have an answer.
http://www.gorancho.com/ranchotech_email.php

VXorado
03/14/2012, 12:01 PM
Old Man Emu shocks will work for you if you're trying to match the Calmini shocks. The Old Man Emu rear shocks Indy4x sells are around 14" compressed & 23" extended. They're #N85 if you want to find exact specs.

Rancho shocks are a PITA to research. I've been looking for longer shocks to replace my OME and couldn't find anything useful from Rancho (without calling them as Billy said). Bilstein has a PDF of all they're specs listed out... very helpful. Problem with Bilstein is that the bottom loop is 1/2" and we have 3/4" (?). Indy sells a conversion bracket so we can use 1/2" loops with our shock mounts.

Good luck, Ranchos are nice. I also have nothing bad to say about Old Man Emu shocks. However, after running both I have no loyalty and am moving on to Bilstein 5150 Reservoir shocks :bwgy:

yellowgizmo99
03/14/2012, 03:33 PM
VXorado let me know what you end up running.

VXorado
03/14/2012, 06:23 PM
VXorado let me know what you end up running.

Bilstein 5150 #25-186291 with the Indy adapter that adds an 1" to the length.

http://jeepincentral.com/wp-content/uploads/images/bilstein5150.gif

Remember I don't have the typical VX setup. I have the shortened 919s, sway bar removed, very short bumpstops, & coil spring retainers. It's an extra flexy setup that works well with the 3" body lift. Without the retainer, my coil springs fall out of the axle seat.

lasturbo
03/14/2012, 08:27 PM
Good info and thanks. Indy 4x has something figured out and cross referenced. I thought we had a connection or they sponsored something for us once before (was it Jofotoz or Dub??). Maybe I just got lost in translation when I inquired the request to them. I am surprised no one has done this yet or maybe has not seen the thread considering all the threads for 9000xl I have researched. Will try and attack the Rancho spec catalog and see if I can come with something to match our top mounts,bottom mounts, extended and compressed. Billy, Rancho will not divulge that for liability reasons. "if it is listed, it was designed for that model".........ugh.

Btw, I do have the stock replacement 9000Xl on my VX now but considering lift now.

Ldub
03/14/2012, 08:32 PM
(was it Jofotoz or Dub??)

Pretty shoor it wazz'n ME m0n...:_confused

I been bounc'n around on the stockers since I own her...:yesgray:

yellowgizmo99
03/14/2012, 08:52 PM
what about the fronts, I am guessing those are for the rear.sorry for TJ.

lasturbo
03/14/2012, 09:17 PM
Pretty shoor it wazz'n ME m0n...:_confused

I been bounc'n around on the stockers since I own her...:yesgray:

Dub, I think it was Jo as he had advertising from them on his Calender and/or past Calender.

VXorado
03/14/2012, 11:20 PM
I am surprised no one has done this yet or maybe has not seen the thread considering all the threads for 9000xl I have researched.

Btw, I do have the stock replacement 9000Xl on my VX now but considering lift now.

You probably wouldn't notice the stock sized shocks on a lifted VX unless you were offroading without the sway bar. Larger shocks can also let the coil spring pop out if they're too long. This happened to me last year on the trail with the OMEs...really annoying :upsetgray. If you want maximum rear axle flex, you'll need to remove/disconnect the sway bar, get coil spring retainers & the longer shocks. Otherwise, the sway bar will be the limiting factor for axle drop & the longer shocks won't be very useful.

what about the fronts, I am guessing those are for the rear.sorry for TJ.

I just have Monroe sensatracs in the front. The OME shocks were a little to harsh for daily driving. The sensatracs are smooth...:bgwb: