PDA

View Full Version : reverse braking thump/grind!!!

technocoy
10/09/2003, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,

If i turn in reverse and then stop (kind of quick) i hear this metallic grinding/thumbing that sounds like a transmission not fully engaged and i can feel it in my brake pedal like crazy!!! has anyone else had this happen? It's kind of freaking me out!

thanks for any info,
technocoy:confused:

Anita
10/09/2003, 02:05 PM
Sounds like the brake's ABS is coming on. You will feel a great pulsating vibration on the brakes when that happens. It happens to me when I turn sharply and brake (not even going too fast). Something about the ABS sensing one wheel is rotating faster on one side than the other. Some one else can explain better than I...

technocoy
10/09/2003, 06:50 PM
really appreciate the reply!

I haven't been able to replicate it yet, so i'm praying that you are right.

funny, i'm pretty car savvy, an never would have thought of that!! good call!

:)

thanks again,
technocoy

VehiX
10/09/2003, 07:51 PM
You shouldn't brake hard while turning anyway. Brake before the turn and then gas out of it :)

Never had this happen so I am not sure what is causing it. Sorry :(

technocoy
10/09/2003, 09:48 PM
no offense V, but i think you missed what we were getting at. I understand slalom driving tactics...lol.

what anita and i are talking about isn't at speed... it happens like when you are backing out of a parking place or something to that effect. not fast at all.

I learned my lesson about 4wheel drive and sharp turning a-while-ago when i nearly flipped my ol'89 amigo!

thanks for the input though!:D ;)