PDA

View Full Version : Optima Red Top Battery

EclipseGSX
10/09/2003, 08:21 AM
Hi, seems like my battery is going dead so I want to be proactive and replace it before I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a model number for the red top?

Dallas4u
10/09/2003, 08:29 AM
Try HERE (http://www.optimabatteries.com/printBatSelResults.asp?make=61&model=150&year=90&brand=71)

EclipseGSX
10/09/2003, 08:49 AM
thanks again Dallas.

Dallas4u
10/09/2003, 10:03 AM
No prob, and again... I believe AutoZone carries Optimas... at least the one by me does. You can go in and check them out. Supposedly, on Optimas page, they list a part of some height adjustment or something... not too sure. Others use the Reds and Yellows, so I'm sure there isn't a problem.

johnnyapollo
10/09/2003, 10:39 AM
If you have a Costco and membership nearby, it's cheaper there and they don't require a core replacement.

-- John

SoilDoc
10/09/2003, 11:23 AM
Got mine at costco, too. Saved $20 compared to performance auto parts.

WyrreJ
10/09/2003, 04:14 PM
In case anyone is thinking about going with the oversized D31M (blue top, deep-cycle with regular and marine style terminals, same as yellow top D31A/D31T) I can confirm that it does fit without any space problems, but you will need to buy a new clamp/hold-down thingee because it is taller than the stock clamp can reach.

EclipseGSX
10/10/2003, 07:00 AM
Hi Guys, i just bought the red top 75/35 off eBay for $100 shipped. Can you please tell me I bought the correct battery, I need some peace of mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050643496&category=1498&rd=1

SoilDoc
10/10/2003, 07:12 AM
Hey, it looks like mine! Very good deal!!! I think you'll be fine.

Spike
10/25/2003, 10:54 AM
I just checked with the Costco up in King of Prussia, PA. (near Valley Forge)

They do not carry Optima... and salesperson mentioned that the other stores between here, Delaware and south Jersey also only carry their own Kirkland branded batteries.

Anyone else run into this ?

Simon Templar
10/25/2003, 10:54 PM
I can second the vote for AutoZone. The ones near me all stock Optimas.

....sT

Spike
10/25/2003, 10:58 PM
I will have to do a search... Pep Boys monopolizes this area.... I know they carry them, but want to compare prices.

EclipseGSX
10/26/2003, 12:29 AM
Hi Spike,

I bought my Optima Red top off eBay for $99 shipped to my door and its awesome. That's the total price with shipping. Engine starts right up, no more continuous cranking.

Check out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054696156&category=1498

This is the exact seller I purchased from and the exact battery.

jim.LR>AR
10/26/2003, 09:14 AM
my stock battery just went cuput. I read alot about cold cranking amps, cranking amps , optima red and blue and yellow. I decided on the biggest cranking amp energizer . reason : 1100 cranking and 900 cold cranking . 80 bucks compared to 150 for optima . None of the pep boys or auto zone had them in stock. Now the windows roll up quicker , it cranks fast. and the 550 watts of amps in the back can play longer than 20 min. on the old stock battery. I could almos replace it two times for the price of the optima. have to see how long it lasts. fit right in the same spot no prob. it has side monts for the amps to have a good connection.

Apostle
10/26/2003, 09:28 AM
Keep us informed on how this handles. i have noticed if im at idle, my windows tend to slowly go up, press on the gass and its back to normal speed.

i like the concept of the red/blue/yellow, no fluids, but need the power to be powerful :D

WyrreJ
10/26/2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by jim.LR>AR
I decided on the biggest cranking amp energizer . reason : 1100 cranking and 900 cold cranking . 80 bucks compared to 150 for optima. Ah, but if you roll over, will your battery spill the liquid all over? Betcha didn't think about that!

Apostle
10/26/2003, 09:39 AM
ya know Wy, rolling over never crossed my mind. I tend not to risk the vehicle like that. :)

Tone
10/26/2003, 10:54 AM
Not to mention the extra vibration that our truck produces on and offroad that is harder on non-Optima style batteries.

Andrey
10/28/2003, 09:05 AM
Battery just died (Interstate brand installed by dealer when VX was brand new - original battery was DOA) Off I go to check Costco for Optima.... another day another hundred off the wallet :)

Andrey
10/28/2003, 02:19 PM
Red one is $109, Yellow 159, and Blue $134 (clearance) at PepBoys. I've notived that red has more cold crancing amps then yellow as well as longer replacement (3 years vs. 1 for yellow)

Any suggestion which one to get. I've seen red ones in Costco for $99. Website of Optima is not very informative on sizes, fitting etc.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 02:29 PM
Yellow if your running a lot of accesories and play your stereo with the car off for a long period of time. Red if you don't need that.

WyrreJ
10/28/2003, 05:43 PM
Blue and yellow are the same, except blue has both regular automotive terminals and the screw-top terminals from the yellow. For size info on yellow/blue see my post earlier in this thread.

Andrey
10/30/2003, 12:49 PM
got one for $99.99 at Costco - red top model 35. The 34 model has more juce 980 CA but Costco does not have it (only AutoZone $119) or PepBoys. Mine got 910 CA... not sure if I should sweat over this. They also had blue top for $143.

Had to put on the red base too. Well, looks nice and starts are a bit faster.

Spike
11/01/2003, 02:35 PM
Went back to Pep Boys today ... told them I didn't get the red plastic plate, and my battery is about 1/4" too short for a snug fit.

The guy went in back and brought one out for me.

Ahhh.. much better...

paultvx
11/02/2003, 02:56 AM
FYI, Optima was bought out by Interstate a couple years ago. Interstate as a spiral cell battery just like the Optimas but under the Interstate name. It's a lot cheaper. You wouldn't be paying for the premium Optima name.

paparon
11/17/2003, 03:36 AM
When I replaced my battery with the smaller size red top from Costco, I had to use the plastic base to boost the height, but also, the 2 metal braces on the Vx battery holder "cross bar" were spaced a little too wide apart for the battery. Anyone else have this happen and what did you do? I wedged in a few wooden shims, but they may just bounce out...:confused:

Green Dragon
11/17/2003, 09:23 AM
This is the Battery I use. Same technology as Optima ( Spiral Cell)
With XTRA terminals on top not the side. ( Easier to attach READYWELDER Leads if necessary). Fits VX perfectly.

http://autosupplyusa.com/34deepcycbat.html

Dragon Bob:)

Spike
11/25/2003, 08:19 PM
So... I go to Costco the other day to get oil for the turkey fryer...
.. and there onthe shelf is about 6 Optima redtops...

The very same Costco that I called and asked if they had Optima batteries. The very same Costco that the saleperson went over to the battery shelf to see what they had. Only to come back and tell me that they do not carry them, and never had at that location. So I ended up paying $115 at Pep Boys...

Granted, it is only $15. But my point is, why is there so much incompetence today?

Andrey
11/25/2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Spike
So... I go to Costco the other day to get oil for the turkey fryer...
.. and there onthe shelf is about 6 Optima redtops...

The very same Costco that I called and asked if they had Optima batteries. The very same Costco that the saleperson went over to the battery shelf to see what they had. Only to come back and tell me that they do not carry them, and never had at that location. So I ended up paying $115 at Pep Boys...

Granted, it is only $15. But my point is, why is there so much incompetence today?

lotsa right people are still out of work - lotsa wrong people are still at work .... go figure

SGT.BATGUANO
11/25/2003, 09:29 PM
Minimum wage, non-unionized "Sales associates"...you get what you pay for. ;)

VehiSHARK
11/25/2003, 09:49 PM
yellow top always

deep cycle

great dead start

Simon Templar
11/25/2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
Minimum wage, non-unionized "Sales associates"...you get what you pay for. ;)

One might also say: 'Lots of lazy and incompetent Sales Associates hiding behind Union memberships'......so, not much difference either way.

....sT

Apostle
11/27/2003, 09:50 AM
Simon, watched "the Saint" last night, not catholic but i knew i heard that name somewhere before

SGT.BATGUANO
11/28/2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Simon Templar
One might also say: 'Lots of lazy and incompetent Sales Associates hiding behind Union memberships'......so, not much difference either way.

....sT

Don't know of too many unionized sales associates. I think that in order to get that "title" they have to forego unionism. At least the unionized people usually have the education, training, skills and decent living wages and benefits to give them the incentive and competency to do their jobs well and take pride in their work. The laziness part depends on the individual and their own level of pride in workmanship .

WyrreJ
11/28/2003, 01:26 PM
The problem with traditional unions is that they reward seniority not accomplishment or level of contribution. No matter how motivated or energetic a union member, eventually they will get "union-member's disease" (not unlike short-timer's disease) in that kind of environment. Some unions have made an effort to use more than simple seniority in determining level of compensation, but so far they are pretty rare.

That's not to say that unions have not played an extremely important role in securing worker's rights since the industrial revolution, but as the workplace has changed, unions have not kept up and have lost relevance. They could be just as valuable today, but they need to catch up with the times or risk becoming completely irrelevant.

Spike
11/28/2003, 02:37 PM
Wherever there is power.. there is potential for corruption...

Wherever there are rules, there are those who will find every single way to bend the rules in their favor...

There is no utopia....

I could be wrong, but don't think Costco has union employees (with the exception of the butcher section) Still doesn't explain where the saleperson went for 5 minutes when checking the shelf to see if they carried Optima batteries...

Nothing I can do about it now... not worried about it. I just know to check things out for myself.

WyrreJ
11/28/2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Spike
Wherever there is power.. there is potential for corruption... Is that why battery terminals get corroded?

VehiSHARK
11/28/2003, 11:39 PM
dude...thats funny:D