PDA

View Full Version : Pulls when stopping

Apostle
10/09/2003, 04:52 AM
Pulls to the front left, driver side, when stopping. Can really feel it at higher speeds and faster stopping.

Did a visual and finger check on the rotors and pads, they look fine. pressure is fine also.

suggestions?

driver3
10/09/2003, 06:54 AM
The only time I pull when stopping is on crappy roads with semi tractor ruts... with the wide tires these ruts drag me all over the place...
here's some info though

58000miles original brakes... tons of pad left, rotors look great. 285/60/18's..

EclipseGSX
10/09/2003, 07:31 AM
i feel occasional pull when the road is crappy, as driver3 stated, or if the road is seriously crowned. If it pulls every time you stop it could be a brake or alignment problem.

WHY STEERING PULLS

Three simple conditions must be met for a four-wheeled vehicle to travel in a straight line:

1. All four wheels must be pointing in the same direction.

That is, all four wheels must be square to each other and square to the road surface (in other words, parallel to one another, perpendicular to a common centerline, and straight up and down).

2. All four wheels must offer the same amount of rolling resistance. This includes the "caster effect" between the front wheels that steer.

3. There must be no play in the steering or suspension linkage that positions the wheels.

If all three conditions are not met, the vehicle will drift to one side depending on which forces are at work. This creates a steering pull which the driver will counteract by steering the other way. Having to constantly apply pressure to the steering wheel to keep the car traveling in a straight line can be tiring on a long trip. It can also be hard on the tires, too.

AREA 51
10/09/2003, 10:03 AM
Could be one of the right brakes aren't engaging. To isolate front or rear go to a large open lot , get up to a speed where it usually pulls and slowly apply the e-brake only. NOTE: it will probably take a lot longer to stop with e brake only and if you apply it too hard or quickly you'll probably lock the rear brakes. It might also be worn suspension components.

Apostle
10/10/2003, 04:14 PM
Well, after soem further driving, and stopping, it may have been the road (although the road was new concrete with no grade or lines) but i couldnt get it to do it again. so all's well i guess :)

AlaskaVX
10/10/2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by driver3
The only time I pull when stopping is on crappy roads with semi tractor ruts... with the wide tires these ruts drag me all over the place...
LOL try driving Alaskan roads with 31x11.5 Mickey Thompson's. At 45mph you nearly HAVE to hold the wheel with 2 hands to fight the ruts. If I was a cop I would probobally pull me over for drunk driving on some of the streets here :p