PDA

View Full Version : Cladding coding

maxprime
03/05/2012, 09:24 AM
I am wondering if someone has a piece of the cladding off or has seen the coding number that is stamped "chasing arrows" symbol. I am wondering what number is listed.
I did a search and didn't find anything.

vt_maverick
03/05/2012, 09:26 AM
Why do you ask? Are you looking for the part # for the cladding?

maxprime
03/05/2012, 09:35 AM
No, I am going to alter my cladding on the 99 and was wondering if anyone had the coding number so I could order the correct material and I wouldn't have to take mine off to check. I know i'm lazy,hehe.

yellowgizmo99
03/05/2012, 09:37 AM
I've got a piece at home and will check if no one else has answered by then.

maxprime
03/05/2012, 09:42 AM
Cool and thanks. I nearly finished my jdm style light mount and plan on redoing the turn signal in the front cover and this will be a great help.

atilla_the_fun
03/05/2012, 01:09 PM
Please post on the JDM style light mount. There are many on this board looking for the original light bar.

tysamigo
03/05/2012, 01:57 PM
I have all of my cladding off. In fact, all interior panels, seats, carpet, headliner, etc. is off as part of a restoration process.

What do you need me to look for?

Tyler

maxprime
03/05/2012, 02:33 PM
There is a resin identification code that shows what material it was made with. It is a triangle made up of arrows with a number in the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Vendetta
03/05/2012, 02:44 PM
I think our cladding actually has http://www.rabanco.com/images/recycling_images/household_hazardous_waste_symbol_sm.jpg on it instead.

Just a guess though...
-V

maxprime
03/05/2012, 02:47 PM
lol

tysamigo
03/05/2012, 02:50 PM
I'm confused. I looked at EVERY part and searched all surface area, flipping the parts upside down, front to back... and I don't see it. I see the part numbers and I see < PP > but that's it.

Just about every part has a part number and separately a < PP >. The front bumper has a chart with numbers and dots but aside from that, every part only has the part number and the P's...

All of my cladding parts are clean and I used a VERY bright flashlight and even looked at it at an angle to make sure I saw everything...

I guess I could have missed it but I looked very good :confused:

tysamigo
03/05/2012, 02:52 PM
Do you know if this number is normally in a particular place? I can look again. I'll have my cladding off for at least a couple more weeks.

Vendetta
03/05/2012, 02:57 PM
Everything I've read about the VX since the mid-late 90's indicates that the cladding is made from polypropylene - which kinda jibes with the <PP> code reported by Tyler. That would line up with "5" on the chart.

-V

maxprime
03/05/2012, 02:57 PM
It should be in the center of the triangle

tysamigo
03/05/2012, 02:59 PM
It should be in the center of the triangle

I understand what it is now. I've seen this symbol many times but never knew what it was.

I was not able to find 1 triangle, not one...

Just the < PP > , a part number and in one case, a chart with numbers and dots, almost like small spreadsheet type of layout.

maxprime
03/05/2012, 03:01 PM
Cool, vendetta is correct The "pp" should make it polypropylene.
That was a big help.

yellowgizmo99
03/05/2012, 04:19 PM
that was all I could find, I am guessing the spread sheet is the month date and year the part was either made or put on. The piece I have isn't from mine so cann't see if it works.

vt_maverick
03/05/2012, 06:09 PM
that was all I could find, I am guessing the spread sheet is the month date and year the part was either made or put on. The piece I have isn't from mine so cann't see if it works.

I think that's right. If you look at the inside of your wheel caps you'll see the same thing.