PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

jeeperkate
03/03/2012, 06:13 PM
I am going to start collecting parts to make the VX trail ready! I hope to have her ready for her first trip to Gilbert, MN in late May :)

Here's what I am looking at (UPDATE 3/12/12):
1. 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers - ordered - going to use the stock rims for now. (still working on fitment) They seem to be in pretty good shape and the current tires are holding air like champs. I am still looking for rims I like, but it isn't my top priority.
2. SS Braided Brake Lines & a replacement set of CV boots (just to have on hand) from Independent4x4 or EMPI
3. OME 913s - ordered
4. Rancho RS9000XL F&R - IN my Possession!

Things I want but are not going to happen in the next few months:
- Rowhard skid panels F&R
- Belly Skid plates

Reminder, the VX will not be my normal trail rig as the Jeep is my off road baby (less expensive and more readily available parts). I want the VX to be capable, but she will mostly be my "mall crawler" (aka "tar baby") :smilewink

I am open to suggestions, so if there is something important I am missing let me know. Otherwise, I hope this plan comes together! :D

PS - Duluth got another 10+ inches of snow today and I STILL haven't taken the VX out to play in it :slap:

Vendetta
03/03/2012, 11:58 PM
Good luck with the mods, Kate. And better luck keeping them just to that list. :smilewink One thing always leads to another and another.

And another.

Regarding your OME springs. Have you read Rickshaw's ridiculously helpful thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476) on the matter? After researching this thread and others related to the 913s and 912s, I opted for the 913s. The lift is right for me, but the ride is still compromised by my worn out factory shocks. I should look into replacing those like you are.

I'm jealous of your snow. Have fun out there! I'm living vicariously through members like you this winter.

-V

jeeperkate
03/04/2012, 08:49 AM
I did read Richsaw's post and I was leaning the way of 913s, but recently had someone convince me to go with the 912s. 913s are WAY easier to get ahold of and I can always put a spacer on it if I want to go bigger some day. I guess I am still up in the air on springs too. DARN IT, why do these decisions have to be so difficult?!?!?

When I went to lift my Jeep I had this same problem. I went with the smaller lift and have been very happy with it (3.5" Rock Crawler Long Arm if anyone is interested). It took me 3 months to make that decision....ugh crap

Thanks for the info V!

Triathlete
03/04/2012, 01:30 PM
There are more than a few heeps with 2 inch lifts running 40's :D

VXorado
03/09/2012, 06:26 PM
a replacement set of CV boots (just to have on hand) from Independent4x4

I recommend not going with the mecatec boots Indy carries. Before Moab 2010, I replaced my inner boots with mecatec thinking they would work well and keep my CVs in good order. I only had a 2" lift & both mecatec boots ripped ON THE WAY to Moab. After 2 days in Moab, I destroyed the CVs and needed a full axle (inner/outer) replacement. Just FYI.

I have yet to rip an EMPI boot, so they get a thumbs up from me.

;)

vt_maverick
03/10/2012, 12:53 PM
Where do you get the EMPI boots?

VXorado
03/10/2012, 02:59 PM
Not sure but the boots are in the EMPI catalog. I ordered several half shafts from EMPI when I was making repairs but ended up using a set of VX OEM half shafts instead. I needed to replace the old OEM boots, so I swapped out the EMPI boots onto the OEM CVs and haven't had any issues.

jeeperkate
03/11/2012, 02:32 PM
Well, I have been busy today since it is SOO beautiful up in Duluth today!

I took the IAC off again and sprayed everything down with carb cleaner as V had recommended earlier. It choked on the carb cleaner on the first start-up but no problem after that. I put in some Seafoam in the gas to run through. I added the VX's first stickers (a little splash of pink) and I did the Mother's restoration on my headlights! Unfortunately, my cordless drill batteries were only partial charged so I need to go over them one more time with the buffer thing. I had also hoped to spray down the MAF today but didn't quite get to that. I will save that for another day.

The big brown truck has visited my house a few times this past week as well. I have new shocks in my possession as well as a Griot's waxing/polishing kit. I saw the results some others got with that kit and was extremely impressed so I went for it!!

Here are some pics - stickers & headlight.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo-14.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo-15.jpg

jeeperkate
03/11/2012, 03:23 PM
Not sure but the boots are in the EMPI catalog. I ordered several half shafts from EMPI when I was making repairs but ended up using a set of VX OEM half shafts instead. I needed to replace the old OEM boots, so I swapped out the EMPI boots onto the OEM CVs and haven't had any issues.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I haven't ordered anything yet when it comes to the CVs. I did check the OEM boots today and they look to be in very good shape, but I figure I will need extras on hand just in case once the lift goes in it causes trouble! :yesb:

However, what didn't look in very good shape was the front diff. There appeared to be quite a bit of gunk all around the front passenger side of the diff - I am wondering if I have a bad seal or something. :?: Ah, well I will have to check the fluid next time I have a nice day.

Thanks for all the help!

mdwyer
03/12/2012, 09:42 AM
913s are WAY easier to get ahold of and I can always put a spacer on it if I want to go bigger some day.

It took me 3 months to make that decision....ugh crap

Is that the trick? I've got some 912s coming that, as far as I can tell, have been hanging out in Australia for the last month or more... Point is, unless you know people who have OME springs /in stock/ then make your decision soon, 'cuz you're going to want that 3 months for shipping time. :(

pbkid
03/12/2012, 09:56 AM
Things I want but are not going to happen in the next few months:
- Rowhard skid panels F&R
- Belly Skid plates

FYI, rowhards plate's look great on the VX, but they offer no physical protection, they are made of fiberglass. a belly pan and sliders would be much better protection for the VX.... just my 2 cents...

VX KAT
03/12/2012, 12:34 PM
FYI, rowhards plate's look great on the VX, but they offer no physical protection, they are made of fiberglass. a belly pan and sliders would be much better protection for the VX.... just my 2 cents...

So far, the only "real" steel belly skids custom made for the VX are the ones from Kilby enterprises. We did a group buy about 2 yrs ago, and I believe I saw a post here fairly recently about getting another one going. (I'd have to search for that thread). The one issue some mentioned was we wish they'd counter-sunk some of the bolts, which you'll notice in one of the pics.

Here's what they looked like NEW:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_08652.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_08442.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_08571.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_08491.JPG

and USED:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSC_0871.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSC_2321-2.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSC_2323.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/DSC_2325.jpg

MSHardeman
03/12/2012, 12:43 PM
Sue, do you have a car lift at home or do you hang out in the bay when your VX is at the mechanics? I see more pictures of your VX up in the air than anyone else.

VX KAT
03/12/2012, 12:54 PM
Sue, do you have a car lift at home or do you hang out in the bay when your VX is at the mechanics? I see more pictures of your VX up in the air than anyone else.

Yeah Mark, we gotz us a lift right in the garage....:p.....don't ya recall how much it took us to get just the pulley system installed in the garage so we can lift the roof rack & spare on/off ......j/k

Yes, I take my camera every time I know something's going to be done on my underside...and my private mechanic shop lets me go in/under (even though I know his insurer would have a wee bit of an issue with that....
that's how I got the CV boot pics too.

remember my 3Cs.......cats, cameras, cars....my 3 fav subjects in the world! ;)

jeeperkate
03/12/2012, 03:32 PM

So far, the only "real" steel belly skids custom made for the VX are the ones from Kilby enterprises. We did a group buy about 2 yrs ago, and I believe I saw a post here fairly recently about getting another one going. (I'd have to search for that thread). The one issue some mentioned was we wish they'd counter-sunk some of the bolts, which you'll notice in one of the pics.

Thank you to both of you. I definitely just want the Rowhard plates for show and would love skids for the real offroad fun :bgwb: Not sure if I will go to full skids or not, really just depends on how I end up using the VX. I definitely want to try it out off-road, but I am just not sure how hard I want to play. If I do decide to play hard then I may just have my fab friend whip something up for me...it's so nice having a fab friend :p

On another note, OME 913s were ORDERED today..YAY :D

Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65R18s were ORDERED and paid for today, however the shop is going to wait to bring them into stock until the VX is ready for them! Hopefully that won't be too long :)

Next up - order SS brake lines and a whole lot of INSTALL...woot!:smilegray

Vendetta
03/12/2012, 04:14 PM
...On another note, OME 913s were ORDERED today..YAY :DExcellent choice. :winkgray:

Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/65R18s were ORDERED and paid for today, however the shop is going to wait to bring them into stock until the VX is ready for them! Hopefully that won't be too long :)Oooh, twins! If you stare half as much as I do after you get 'em, it's still twice as much as a "normal" person should. But I wish I could be there when you see them for the first time - before they even get mounted. If your reaction is anything like mine was, it's going to be :freek:

Next up - order SS brake lines and a whole lot of INSTALL...woot!:smilegrayGet the brake lines, but also consider upgrading the calipers eventually. These tires are rather heavy.

Great job gettin' it done so fast!
-V

jeeperkate
03/24/2012, 06:06 PM
OME 913s in hand! Hopefully I can get those babies in tomorrow :-) Maybe even the rear shocks as well! YA!

On another note, the Jeep is out of storage and is needing work as well. Now comes the fight over which vehicle gets upgraded/repaired first :_thinking

Scott Larson
03/25/2012, 08:48 AM
Dontcha just hate decisions like that...yeah, RIGHT!:rotate:

jeeperkate
03/25/2012, 11:22 AM
THE LIFT IS IN!!

I spent 2.5 hours in the driveway today cranking some torsion bars (8 cranks) and putting in OME 913s! Believe it or not, it took me longer to crank the torsion bars than to put the springs in :o I am only 5'2" - 120 lbs, so when it comes to strength I am not quite what you would call beefy...sooo the torsion bars were hard for me even with a big pipe for leverage :p

The process went very well. Thanks to the directions on the site I was well informed going out there and it made things SUPER easy. The only issue I stumbled upon was that my weakling strength couldn't get the bottom shock mount nut off, but a quick slide under the VX and a kick to the wrench and I was ready to keep moving! :winkb:

Tada:
Before:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7650.jpg
After:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo-17.jpg

Now I need some tires to fill those gaping holes!! :p

One thing I did notice after taking my wheels off is that I found some cracks and peels in the chrome...looks like new wheels are in order sooner than I had hoped ;oob;

VX KAT
03/25/2012, 11:48 AM
One thing I did notice after taking my wheels off is that I found some cracks and peels in the chrome...looks like new wheels are in order sooner than I had hoped ;oob;

Have you read where the chrome peeling is a really common issue on the 18" (2000 and 2001)? It's one of those "quirks" we've identified related to the VX. We put it on the questionnaire because it was so common.
They usually peel on the inner side, on the flat part of the rim, but sometimes I've read the peeling does creep out toward the front. Many original owners had theirs replaced under warranty, but some of the new ones did it also. I think only a very few actually had any functional problem with the peeling, think one mentioned they started loosing air when it got to the lip.

Scott Larson
03/25/2012, 01:09 PM
When you're ready to ditch the old rims, I'm calling dibs! Maybe between your set and mine, I can eek-out one decent set...DIBS!! :dance:

VXorado
03/25/2012, 06:29 PM
THE LIFT IS IN!!

I spent 2.5 hours in the driveway today cranking some torsion bars (8 cranks) and putting in OME 913s! Believe it or not, it took me longer to crank the torsion bars than to put the springs in :o I am only 5'2" - 120 lbs, so when it comes to strength I am not quite what you would call beefy...sooo the torsion bars were hard for me even with a big pipe for leverage :p

:) The torsion bar crank can be a pain. I've changed the height on my VX several times and decided that I was over crawling under the frame with a big breaker bar. I bought a 27mm socket and now use my impact wrench to crank the torsion bars. It's a piece O' cake, you just need to mark the bolt so you can count rotations.

Your VX looks ready for those Trail Grapplers!

JoFotoz
03/25/2012, 06:57 PM
Good on ya girl!!
Another Black Beauty taking shape....:thumbup:

:_steering

jo

Ldub
03/25/2012, 08:06 PM
THE LIFT IS IN!!

After:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo-17.jpg

Now I need some tires to fill those gaping holes!! :p

:thumbup:

Look forward to seeing the new tires.

As far as peeling chrome goes...meh...:_confused

Wire brush it off, clean it up real good, make yourself a cardboard circle the right size to mask the spokes from the back, & shoot the back side in flat black primer and/or bed liner...problem solved, problem staying solved...:smilewink

It's aluminium under the chrome, it ain't gonna rust or nuthin'.:luck:

BigSwede
03/26/2012, 06:11 AM
Lol I looked at the first pic and wondered how the heck you still have snow up there...then I finally noticed it was the "before" pic. Looking good, BTW.

Do you know the Kesslers? Good friends of mine in Duluth.

jeeperkate
04/03/2012, 06:27 PM
Lol I looked at the first pic and wondered how the heck you still have snow up there...then I finally noticed it was the "before" pic. Looking good, BTW.

Do you know the Kesslers? Good friends of mine in Duluth.

I know of the Kesslers, but unfortunately have not had the chance to meet any of them!:grino:

Progress report!

The TIRES ARE IN! They are big and beefy. I put them next to my Jeep tires and they are the same size - that's just crazy! I can't wait to get them on there :yesb:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/tires.jpg

I also ordered some rims today. :bgwb:

I have to tell this story: after I bought tires from Discount Tire I went into the same shop to take a look at rims. The guy was so rude to me that I actually walked out. :madb2: He chased me into the parking lot apologizing, but I was very upset since, like most people, I don't like being treated like I am stupid. :_iamwiths He offered me a free wheel if I came back to him so I took some time to think and research and went back today. He was very apologetic again and said he did some research this time and realized that I knew what I was talking about. :_brickwal Hey, nothing like telling the person that knows the truck and owns the truck that they are dumb. Good times :p No, really, he redeemed himself today. I was happy to do business with him.

Enough of that story, I was looking for silverish wheels originally since they look nice with the black VX, but I ended up with black matte wheels instead. I just couldn't find any wheels that I really loved, but settled on some that I like. I should have wheels and tires next week and should have them on the VX by the end of next week! SWEET!!:_steering Pics to come once complete

Vendetta
04/03/2012, 06:34 PM
Told (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=252738#post252738) ya! They're monsters. Remember to keep the outer walls consistent.

Glad it's all coming together. :smilewink

-V

jeeperkate
04/03/2012, 07:40 PM
Hey V - did you ever get around to checking your tire pressure? I think the guys at the shop are going to give them to me with 40psi...think that will be too stiff? I guess I can play with it and find out :grinb:

Vendetta
04/03/2012, 08:07 PM
Hey V - did you ever get around to checking your tire pressure? I think the guys at the shop are going to give them to me with 40psi...think that will be too stiff? I guess I can play with it and find out :grinb:

My tires are filled to 40psi, and the ride is somewhat rough but I don't mind for now. I'm still benchmarking MPG before a few other mods and want to vary only one thing at a time for a few tanks.

Got pics of your wheels?

-V

Scott Larson
04/03/2012, 08:43 PM
Curious to see your new rims Kate, remember, if you're lookin' to sell your old rims and a couple are in decent shape, keep me in mind... Nice tires, by the way, can't wait to see the finished product!

jeeperkate
04/04/2012, 06:00 AM
Scott - sorry, but I think I am going to keep my stock wheels and tires as both a spare and a back-up in case I have to drive the VX any distance. However, if I find one that is in perfect shape I may be willing to work something out with you. I'll let you know.

Pic of what the wheels will look like:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/blkimpmtbxl.jpg

Ldub
04/04/2012, 06:14 AM
That's gonna look SWEET!...:thumbup:

Might need a hole saw & a little creativity to make the center caps work with the front hubs...:naughty:

Cris
04/04/2012, 07:26 AM
Wake your VX up take the stupid stock muffler off, day and nite performance

jeeperkate
04/04/2012, 07:35 AM
That's gonna look SWEET!...:thumbup:

Might need a hole saw & a little creativity to make the center caps work with the front hubs...:naughty:

Well, hopefully the fabricator boyfriend can help me out there! I would be sad if they don't fit :p

I'm EXCITED!

espidus
04/04/2012, 09:46 AM
Nice rims, look similar the KMC XD's I just put on mine, hope you got the whole offset thing figured out, was a pain for me....butb came out good in the end.

VXorado
04/04/2012, 11:40 AM
Well, hopefully the fabricator boyfriend can help me out there! I would be sad if they don't fit :p

I'm EXCITED!

If the center caps don't fit, just buy some manual hubs. They look good and can help save a half shaft if you have a CV boot rip.

jeeperkate
04/09/2012, 11:00 AM
We did a test fit today!!! (the center caps fit perfectly) That means, the wheels/tires go on THIS WEEKEND. We will start modifying on Friday. Woo hoo!

They stick out a little further than I had hoped, but I am OK with it. I was looking for rims with about 18-20mm offset, but these were 12mm. I liked the wheels so I went for it. I think they are going to look REALLY NICE though!

What do you guys think?

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo.jpg

jeeperkate
04/09/2012, 11:00 AM
Next on the list - get the cladding restored!! That light grey looks terrible!

VXorado
04/09/2012, 06:01 PM
The rims look great but we need a full VX shot to really see the results.

I just bought another bottle of showroom new in black... works & looks great BUT it can come off if you drip gas on the cladding. I just spilled some gas on the cladding last night even though I'm usually very careful. I still recommend SN, just keep an extra bottle for when (and it is when not if) you get gas on the cladding.

mdwyer
04/09/2012, 06:53 PM
Those 285/65R18 work?? Huh. I'm looking at something to put on some 18x8.5 rims with a 10 or 20mm offset. I thought I would be pretty much maxed out at 285/60. I didn't think those TrailGrapplers would fit, but they seem to be mostly working for you.

I'm eager to hear if they're viable! I've got a set of 912s begging to be installed, and I fear my old 255/55R18 tire are going to look silly. :(

Vendetta
04/09/2012, 07:37 PM
I've been on 285/65 18 Nitto Trail Graps on 18x9" +25 wheels for a couple of months now.

Need slightly more significant trimming than others, and some BFHing the back side of the front wells, but other than that? No issues at all.

-V

jeeperkate
04/15/2012, 07:17 PM
The tires and wheels are on and trimming for fitment is done. The cladding restoration didn't happen since we needed to do some work on the rock buggy this weekend as well. But here is Betty looking good!!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/0c71b99a.jpg

Since there really wasn't any definitive thread on how to go about fitting the 285/65R18s in the VX's front fenders I made sure to take some pictures. My guy and I did the passenger side first and did it just a tiny bit at a time so we could get it right. When we went to the driver's side we measured and only cut once. Here were the tools we used other than the standard jacks and such: Sawzall, BIG hammer, a 10mm socket and another small one (can't remember the size), pliers, file, torch, a couple of steel pieces, drill, and a pop-rivet gun thing. I am going to warn you that I am not an expert and may not explain things perfectly, so just let me know if you have any questions!

On the driver's side we started with the rear side of the fender. The first thing we did was take 2 of the 10mm bolts out of the fender/cladding and all the little screws with plastic backings off of the fender from the middle of the fender to the rear. Then you can move the inner liner of the fender to get to the metal behind it.

The next thing we did was to get the sawzall out. The only sawzall cut we made was from 4.5" below the 10mm bolt (you can see the hole in the middle right of the pic) and went diagonally toward the brace on the inner side of the fender. Part of the diagonal piece you cut off includes one of the 10mm bolt holes and there is a clip on the hole that you need to remove and reuse later.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/97b7382d.jpg

Next, we took out a big hammer and piers and cranked the inner fender around. It doesn't take much, but when you push in the inner fender the bolt tabs will need to be bent back as you will be using the lower bolt hole for the 10mm bolt and clip you cut off.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/7f6fa954.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/3aaf9dbd.jpg

Next, we used a torch to heat up the fender liner to flatten it out a bit. I do not have pics of this process as I had a torch in my hand at the time. We used a really low setting and heated and used two pieces of metal to get the plastic to go a little more flat as we were having trouble with this section sticking out when fitting the tires. (you can see the portion we re-bent in the picture with the drill. Its the section to the left and below where the drill hole is.)

Next, we refit the fender guard into place and marked the spot where we put the 10mm clip we stole from the piece we cut off at the beginning. We drilled a hole through the liner where we will reuse the clip and bolt.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/b93765cf.jpg

Lastly, the cladding hangs a bit funny under the door since we cut off the connection point, so we put a pop-rivet through the cladding and sheet metal below the door maybe a cm behind where we cut (no pic). After that, put all the little bolts & plastic things back in and stand back and appreciate your work...apparently I didn't appreciate this part enough because I forgot to take a final picture of the back of the fender. I will do it tomorrow and post up.

The second part is the front. I don't really know a good way to tell you how much to cut off, but I can show you a couple pictures so you can get an idea. If you want a measurement of something specific let me know, I still have the big piece we cut off. After cutting use a file to clean up all the edges - it looks GREAT!
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/64b56518.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/b1ca6b6b.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/93bde8e0.jpg

Well, it was a fun project. I LOVE the look of the VX now!!

VX KAT
04/15/2012, 08:12 PM
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/64b56518.jpg

Looks great! Can see just a little bigger triangle and some BFH work, compared to the 285/60-18s.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_664.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICTURES/IMAG0215.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0579.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSC_0564.JPG

Vendetta
04/15/2012, 10:09 PM
Looking good, Kate! Remember to keep an eye on it for a few weeks as the ride "settles" in. Here's another little tidbit that discovered as well: with the lift, slight as it is, airflow is changed enough to catch the rear wheel well skirts and make them flap on rare occasions. Usually happens only in weird cross-wind scenarios. Freaked me out at first, thought maybe one of the cladding pieces had come undone and was catching air.

What PSI did you decide on?
-V

JoFotoz
04/15/2012, 10:25 PM
Love the look,,nice write up too :thumbup:

Dont forget to have an alignment done.

jo

jeeperkate
04/16/2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys! I like it!

V - I am running 40psi in the tires right now. They ride is OK, so I think I will stick with it for a while! As for the funny noise, it already happened! It scared the crap out of me, I thought I had a vibration or something but funny thing was I couldn't ever make it happen it was just random (during a HUGE wind storm). I read another post about fender liners buzzing and figured that must be it. Thanks for the heads-up though...I certainly was freaked when I first heard it!

JoFotoz - Thank you! An alignment is in the works this week. I am not going to be driving it until that happens! Thanks for the reminder, that would be something I would forget because I am so excited!

jeeperkate
04/23/2012, 05:05 PM
I got a SWEET rack today in the mail from Breezy! Now I just have to figure out how to put it on ;-)

I haven't been spending much time on the VX as of late since I am prepping the Jeep for Moab. I have replaced rear axle shafts, tightened and lubed everything, and put on the soft-top today! I still have a tune-up and loose steering problem to track down and then she's ready to go!! Woo hoo, I can't wait!

JoFotoz
04/23/2012, 05:11 PM
Congrats on getting a new ( . ) ( . ) ......:eek:

Are you staying in Moab a few days after jeeping ...

...ya really should ...:thumbup:

Jo

jeeperkate
04/24/2012, 04:47 PM
J - doesn't look like I will be able to stay any longer in Moab :( My work won't be able to go without me for any longer, unfortunately. I would have loved to stay to meet some VXers!

Here's my new RACK!

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/photo-21.jpg

Scott Larson
04/24/2012, 04:57 PM
Truck looks nice, and yes, you have a sweet rack too!! :thumbup: :dance:

JoFotoz
04/24/2012, 05:00 PM
Bummer...

J - doesn't look like I will be able to stay any longer in Moab :( My work won't be able to go without me for any longer, unfortunately. I would have loved to stay to meet some VXers!

When does the jeep thing end...
..cause there are a few arriving early.

jo

Breezy
04/24/2012, 06:01 PM
My parts are traveling! :) I love that you already have the racks put on! VX looks pretty good.

jeeperkate
04/24/2012, 06:54 PM
Bummer...

When does the jeep thing end...
..cause there are a few arriving early.

jo

I am not sure if we are leaving May 11th or 12th. It depends on how the week is going and how the Jeeps are running. There is a group of 7 of us coming from Minnesota so we stay in a pack just in case! If anyone is going to be there then shoot me a PM and maybe we can hook up!

BTW - Forgot to give a shout out to KAT for the directions for the rack. Thanks Kat!

BigSwede
04/25/2012, 07:13 AM
We are arriving on the 12th. Look for a green Trooper and a black VX heading west through the Rockies on Saturday. Or on Friday, I will be driving to Des Moines, meeting Gill & CeCe from Chicago, then heading west to Denver.

VX crazy
04/25/2012, 08:39 AM
I am not sure if we are leaving May 11th or 12th. It depends on how the week is going and how the Jeeps are running. There is a group of 7 of us coming from Minnesota so we stay in a pack just in case! If anyone is going to be there then shoot me a PM and maybe we can hook up!

BTW - Forgot to give a shout out to KAT for the directions for the rack. Thanks Kat!

Your leaving Moab the 11th or 12th or MN?

JoFotoz
04/25/2012, 09:27 AM
Me too...

We are arriving on the 12th.

...should be on the stoop by early afternoon on the 12th.

jo

BigSwede
04/25/2012, 09:29 AM
:_beer:

jeeperkate
04/25/2012, 09:57 AM
Sorry - we are leaving Moab on the 11th or 12th :( If we are still there, I will swing by...but I really doubt it. SAD!

I hope I pass a few of you on the road.

If you see a conga line of Jeeps & one 4runner and you have a CB, tune into channel 4 and give me a shout out!

tom4bren
04/27/2012, 10:17 AM
My parts are traveling! :) I love that you already have the racks put on! VX looks pretty good.

There's an ap for .... ooops .... there's a thread for that:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17600&highlight=shared+parts

jeeperkate
07/13/2012, 12:00 PM
Latest and greatest - Betty got new brake pads and rotors last night all the way around. Also, the rear passenger brake caliper was replaced after making quite the rusty mess out of my brake pad!

Next up - T-case fluid change, trans fluid change, and about darn time we get to cladding restoration and shock change-out!

I am in the midst of triathlon season, so it's tough to get to working on vehicles! Betty is taking me down to St. Cloud, MN this weekend to swim/bike/run my butt off.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Triathlon joke of the day:
A triathlete was walking around in town one day when his friend, another triathlete, rode up on an incredible shiny new bike. The first chap was stunned and asked, "Where did you get such a fantastic bike?" The friend replied, "Well, yesterday I was out running in the forest just minding my own business when this beautiful woman rode up to me on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want!" The first chap nodded approvingly, "Good choice. The clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."

Triathlete
07/13/2012, 02:43 PM
Danm those triathlons! ;)