View Full Version : Best Panel Air Filter for VX?

vt_maverick
02/29/2012, 02:49 PM
Been digging around the site for awhile now and there are surprisingly few recent threads on this topic. K&N is an obvious aftermarket option, but I've read the threads here (and elsewhere) discussing the potential for throwing codes due to oil on the MAF sensor. There are lots of posts about aftermarket cone intakes, but I'd rather stick with the stock air box, so obviously those are out. Years ago Tone sold Green Air Filters on his site, but I just checked and the only filters they list for any 2000 Isuzu are for the Hombre (:confused:). And Amsoil's website only offers you the generic Wix filter, so none of their high-performance panel filters are an option.

So my question is what are panel filter alternatives are out there, and which do folks think are best? I'm not against ordering the OEM part if it's the right answer, just thought I'd do a little digging first.

Thanks!

fildigger
02/29/2012, 03:01 PM
These are highly regarded in Motorsport and performance tuning circles...

..http://www.bmcairfilters.com/carbon-dynamic-airbox_prd_pr3_4_1.aspx

Quality piece of kit...don't worry about fitment, just go for the universal Carbon Dynamic airbox and cold air feed pipe (for 6 cyl and V8 engines) and make your own induction hose/pipe back to the throttle body

:winkb:

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 06:20 AM
37 views and only one opinion? So unlike us... I would have thought someone would jump in by now and state that the OEM filter is the pinnacle of cleaning technology and specially designed for our VX's, and that someone else would have replied that K&N was the end-all-be-all of reusable filters. I'm so disappointed. :noy: ;)

I've been continuing to search and haven't found any alternatives beyond those listed above (OEM, K&N, WIX). I'm sure Fram, Purolator, etc. offer generic alternatives as well, but I'm mostly trying to find somebody who still makes a performance filter other than K&N. I will post if I find something, otherwise it's probably another OEM filter for me.

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 06:47 AM
Found another option but looks like it's just a K&N knock-off; it's reusable but requires oiling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kool-Blue-KP3121-Lifetime-Air-Filter-Cotton-Gauze-Increased-Mileage-Horsepower-/280780578722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415fd39fa2

atilla_the_fun
03/01/2012, 07:07 AM
Maybe there really isn't any improvement to be had from the Advance Autoparts model X to the K&N cone filter. It seems that these engines aren't very tunable from a free-hp standpoint. Is that what you are looking for?

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 07:14 AM
We were tired of oiling our Green & K&N filters, (and always had the fear of it messing up the MAF too), so I got Amsoil's nano airfilter for Dave's FJ. Sounded like the perfect solution, super high performance but no oiling.
They never offered it for the VX.
But, after a few months some critters got in it, chewed up the paper and nested in it! :mado: When I went to replace it, found it had been d/c'd......

So I've been using an OEM and he's back to using his K&N....

I don't know how the OEM compares to the Wix, but it sure sounds good when you read about it on Amsoil's site. I did buy a Wix for the VX, just haven't used it yet.

etlsport
03/01/2012, 07:22 AM
I used a green performance filter for a long time and was very happy with it. Im guessing finding it is a matter of finding the right cross reference. Unfortunately I sold mine so I can't check the part number.

H3_VX
03/01/2012, 07:25 AM
I bought a K&N drop in for mine. Part # 33-2064. Haven't gotten around to putting it in yet though. I bought the K&N drop in because I already own a K&N Intake kit for my Hummer and I immediately noticed improvements with it. They are subtle, but there nonetheless. So far, I'm a believer in K&N.

rowhard
03/01/2012, 07:27 AM
Been running a oiled morgan tec since, I guess one of my first mod's. Never (yet) had a CEL.

I do when I remember to, give the MAF a spraying with MAF cleaner every other oiling

H3_VX
03/01/2012, 07:30 AM
Found another option but looks like it's just a K&N knock-off; it's reusable but requires oiling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kool-Blue-KP3121-Lifetime-Air-Filter-Cotton-Gauze-Increased-Mileage-Horsepower-/280780578722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415fd39fa2

I love the chart that states it is also available for a 2002 Vehicross. :confused:

etlsport
03/01/2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQIsuzuQQVehiCROSSQQGreenQQAir_FilterQQ19992001QQG 512116.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&apwidq97nb61

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 07:35 AM
I noticed that too H3 - but did you know there IS a valid VX VIN that comes up in Isuzu's computers as a 2002 model? I wonder if manufacturers just query some sort of reverse-lookup VIN database to populate those drop-downs...

Ldub
03/01/2012, 07:39 AM
well...practically since I WAS a boy.

I've run them on most everything, from my old Bultaco MX bike, to a VW Thing, & currently, the VX.

Yeh, I occasionally throw a cel...but I treat that as a "time to douche the MAF" reminder light...:smilewink

It's usually right after cleaning/re-oiling the filter, as I've always been of the "more is better" mindset...:rolleyesg (just check my "all U can eat waistline")

For me, it's worth the extra effort to gain a few ponies.

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 07:49 AM
Maybe there really isn't any improvement to be had from the Advance Autoparts model X to the K&N cone filter. It seems that these engines aren't very tunable from a free-hp standpoint. Is that what you are looking for?

Nah, I know simple filter upgrades rarely net anything more than a few "butt dyno" HP and a slightly different sound. I'm mostly looking for something that's at least as good as stock but cleanable/reusable. Amsoil and AEM both offer reusable dry filters, but apparently not for the VX. I'm not convinced that they don't sell products that would fit though, but unfortunately their sites don't seem to have a page that lists dimensions for all their filters.

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 07:52 AM
Looks like AutoPartsWarehouse carries the Green filter:
I don't have my box so can't confirm model #.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQIsuzuQQVehiCROSSQQGreenQQAir_FilterQQ19992001QQG 512116.html

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 07:56 AM
You wanna do it or should I Eric? ;)

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:01 AM
You wanna do it or should I Eric? ;)

Now hold on....see what happens when I start a post but have to walk ALL the way to the garage to look for the box?....and get distracted along the way....and don't refresh the page and check for more responses? :goof:

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 08:07 AM
J/K ya Sue, thanks for taking a look for me!

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:08 AM
J/K ya Sue, thanks for taking a look for me!
:p

deermagnet
03/01/2012, 08:10 AM
Amsoil and AEM both offer reusable dry filters, but apparently not for the VX.
Back in the beginning, when companies like K&N didn't know what a VX was yet, we bought one for a '99 Trooper and it was exactly the same. Fram lists the same filter part# for a Trooper, Rodeo, and VX. So if any company lists a panel filter for a '99 Trooper, wouldn't it be an exact fit for our VX also? :_confused

Mark

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 08:11 AM
Yes, and apparently a Toyota T100 is also compatible according to one eBay vendor. I'm searching for all those applications too.

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 08:16 AM
AutoWarehouse just confirmed they are out of stock on the Green filter. (I figured they would be since the part # is no longer listed on Green's website.)

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:16 AM
Back in the beginning, when companies like K&N didn't know what a VX was yet, we bought one for a '99 Trooper and it was exactly the same. Fram lists the same filter part# for a Trooper, Rodeo, and VX. So if any company lists a panel filter for a '99 Trooper, wouldn't it be an exact fit for our VX also? :_confused

Mark

Yes, and apparently a Toyota T100 is also compatible according to one eBay vendor. I'm searching for all those applications too.

oh...good info....maybe there's an Amsoil nano filter still possible for the VX! Off to the Amsoil site I go!
An FYI, Mike Hill (mhill) is an Amsoil dealer, so I buy my stuff through him. Maybe he could get the dimensions on them?

Ldub
03/01/2012, 08:21 AM

oh...good info....maybe there's an Amsoil nano filter still possible for the VX! Off to the Amsoil site I go!
An FYI, Mike Hill (mhill) is an Amsoil dealer, so I buy my stuff through him. Maybe he could get the dimensions on them?

Honda Passport is another cross.

And maybe the Acura Trooper thing?

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 08:24 AM
I checked all those on Amsoil's site, it was a no-go. Would be great if Mike has access to a catalog with all the dimensions though.

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 08:26 AM
Just checked Car Stuff and they're out of the Green filters too - they were the last vendor to come up on Google Shopping so I guess that's the end of that.

If we were able to find more of those though, why did some folks choose Green over K&N and vice versa? Sounds like they're different colors of the same product. :confused:

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:26 AM
I checked all those on Amsoil's site, it was a no-go. Would be great if Mike has access to a catalog with all the dimensions though.

yeah, I see they're all listed as Wix #46006....no nano filter model.

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:28 AM
If we were able to find more of those though, why did some folks choose Green over K&N and vice versa? Sounds like they're different colors of the same product. :confused:

Might be because Tone sold the Green, maybe some of the Austin VXers would recall what made him go with Green.

Ldub
03/01/2012, 08:33 AM
Just checked Car Stuff and they're out of the Green filters too - they were the last vendor to come up on Google Shopping so I guess that's the end of that.

IIRC

The bonding agent (frame) around the perimeter of the Green filter had a smaller cross section than K&N, allowing a bit more flow. (+ surface area)

Also, IIRC, Lisa had a green "melt?" or something...:_thinking

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 09:38 AM
I searched a bunch of auto parts sites and discovered they must all link back to the same supply chain because their in-house part #'s and 24x7 chat clients are identical. None of them had the Green filter so I called a Mom & Pop place in PA on the off chance they might have one sitting under a mountain of dust in the back of their warehouse. That place confirmed Green hasn't manufactured filter #2116 in more than 5 years.

Mile High VX
03/01/2012, 11:15 AM
I searched a bunch of auto parts sites and discovered they must all link back to the same supply chain because their in-house part #'s and 24x7 chat clients are identical. None of them had the Green filter so I called a Mom & Pop place in PA on the off chance they might have one sitting under a mountain of dust in the back of their warehouse. That place confirmed Green hasn't manufactured filter #2116 in more than 5 years.

I also recall that the Green used to be made overseas and then changed ownership or somethlng and began being made in the States (this may be backwards). With the change in ownership came a change in the product and it was not as well recieved...I have the older Green filter and just keep cleaning it...:yesb::yesgray::yesy::yeso:

89Vette
03/01/2012, 12:28 PM
what about Kool Blue filters?

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 12:55 PM

Looks like a half-price K&N to me.

Ldub
03/01/2012, 03:15 PM

And them Air Hogs too...:smilewink

Ldub
03/02/2012, 06:41 AM
IIRC

The bonding agent (frame) around the perimeter of the Green filter had a smaller cross section than K&N, allowing a bit more flow. (+ surface area)

Also, IIRC, Lisa had a green "melt?" or something...:_thinking

Here it is...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=177491&postcount=32

Complete thread...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12474&highlight=green+filter+melted

blacksambo
03/03/2012, 06:18 PM
Joining this late. Tried the K&N. It definitely mad it run stronger.....but it sucked more gas. Therein lies the rub. Anything you do to the old 6VE1 to boost HP reduces mileage. I buy the Fram OEM type at Walmart for $17 bucks.

VXR
03/06/2012, 12:00 AM
Tried the K&N. It definitely mad it run stronger.....but it sucked more gas. Therein lies the rub. Anything you do to the old 6VE1 to boost HP reduces mileage. I buy the Fram OEM type at Walmart for $17 bucks.

So are you are saying I will get better MPG if I went back to OEM???

By how much?

I Have K&N in now and I just paid $4.09 a gallon $70.00;eekb;

ND92
03/06/2012, 12:13 AM
I Have K&N in now and I just paid $4.09 a gallon $70.00

I just ordered a K&N yesterday, I paid $98.45 to fill up 2 days ago :mado:
i hope the K&N doesn't lower gas millage too much :(

blacksambo
03/06/2012, 12:27 PM
It's noticable, about 2 miles less, maybe. (You can have my K&N it's sitting in its box in the garage.) If you're looking for gas mileage try to stay as close to oem specs as possible. Make sure your oxygen sensors are working properly and your fuel filter is clean, also.

Baldwin
04/20/2012, 01:35 PM
I just ordered mine too from autoanything for $50.