PDA

View Full Version : looking to sell my 2000 vx

catskilljay
02/28/2012, 11:48 AM
Well i rearended someone a year ago, so i have front end damage. Ive held on to her to fix but decided to buy another. Anyone interested shoot me a message and ill email pics so you can make offer. It still starts right up and drives. Catskilljay@gmail.com

circmand
02/28/2012, 12:59 PM
Posting the pix as well as filling out the detailed questionaire created and posted by VXKat. Also are you willing to part it out? I sale price is a minimum you should have in the ad.

catskilljay
02/28/2012, 02:42 PM
ok, thanks for suggestions. Im new to forum and was having trouble posting pics, and figured anyone interested could email.. and as for this detailed questionnaire you speak of... I wish I new where to find it...

circmand
02/29/2012, 05:28 AM
Here's the questionnaire:

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we recently put together a pretty detailed checklist, very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS
Here's the expanded "New Buyer" or "Seller" checklist:

~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

WILLY
02/29/2012, 03:22 PM
That sure is alot of questions to answer about a used vehicle. LMAO

VX KAT
02/29/2012, 03:44 PM
That sure is alot of questions to answer about a used vehicle. LMAO

aw heck, that's nuthin'...ya shoulda seen the 100 question version.....

Which ones would you remove as not worthwhile?

catskilljay
02/29/2012, 06:57 PM
ditto Willy LOL... thanks Circmand, but if I had that kind of time, I would just fix the VX

VX KAT
02/29/2012, 07:30 PM
LOL...guess you don't want to sell it that bad...:_thinking :laugho:

catskilljay
02/29/2012, 08:15 PM
:) honestly Kat i don't..... but shes been sitn roun for a year, n i don't have the time/knowledge to fix her. maybe for the right price, so i could get another hehe

WILLY
03/01/2012, 02:59 AM
I think those are great questions if ur purchasing a vehicle thats worth a couple hundred grand but for a used one under ten grand is wa wa wa way over board,it's a mechanical piece of equipment and built by humans so it's going to have those issues and if it dont,just put a few more miles on it and the issues will surely arrise.:yesy:

circmand
03/01/2012, 05:23 AM
I think those are great questions if ur purchasing a vehicle thats worth a couple hundred grand but for a used one under ten grand is wa wa wa way over board,it's a mechanical piece of equipment and built by humans so it's going to have those issues and if it dont,just put a few more miles on it and the issues will surely arrise.:yesy:

But whenyou come to the site of the enthusiasts of the vehicle you are going to get people who want to know everything about it. Actually the list was put together for the buyers of a VX. It's just that some sellers know it's a good idea to take a half hour to fill out the questionaire and eliminate wasting time talking to buyers who will ask these questions over and over only to find out there is something in the answers that ultimately will have them say know. After all would you rather field dozens of calls from uninterested buyers and waste more time later or fill out the questionaire once and only get calls from actual interested buyers? I mean come on from your ad all anyone knows is your selling a damaged VX (who knows how damaged?) and to email and then they have to make an offer with nothing but a few pix. You think the buyer should waste their time? Some of the VX purchasers are a distance away. Do you think they want to waste their time and money checking it out when they are the ones spending money. I used to sell cars for a living. I found buyers actually hate wasting time. Dealers who won't put prices in their ads get more calls but all they ask are the price and then they hang up. The dealers who put as much out there as they can get more real buyers and far fewer tire kickers.

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 06:01 AM

Some of the VX purchasers are a distance away.

This is the real difference WILLY - there are so few VX's for sale that it's highly likely a buyer will need to drive or fly a long distance to see and buy it. Nobody will want to do that without having a ton of info first. Heck, there are people here who bought their VX through a proxy (eBay or otherwise) never having seen it in person or driven it before. That takes a lot of trust, and info breeds trust.

catskilljay
03/01/2012, 07:34 AM
But whenyou come to the site of the enthusiasts of the vehicle you are going to get people who want to know everything about it. Actually the list was put together for the buyers of a VX. It's just that some sellers know it's a good idea to take a half hour to fill out the questionaire and eliminate wasting time talking to buyers who will ask these questions over and over only to find out there is something in the answers that ultimately will have them say know. After all would you rather field dozens of calls from uninterested buyers and waste more time later or fill out the questionaire once and only get calls from actual interested buyers? I mean come on from your ad all anyone knows is your selling a damaged VX (who knows how damaged?) and to email and then they have to make an offer with nothing but a few pix. You think the buyer should waste their time? Some of the VX purchasers are a distance away. Do you think they want to waste their time and money checking it out when they are the ones spending money. I used to sell cars for a living. I found buyers actually hate wasting time. Dealers who won't put prices in their ads get more calls but all they ask are the price and then they hang up. The dealers who put as much out there as they can get more real buyers and far fewer tire kickers.

ok, so a 1/2 hr for you to fill out that novel of a checklist. But some of us are not quite the vx enthusiast you are. I actually got quite a laugh out of the list only reading some of the questions. And wouldn't even know where to look for a few of those things. First off the truck is 45mins from me, so to take a clipboard and questions and go do a walk around inspection isn't feasible right now. I stated that I only had it on the road for 1 month before the accident, so I really dont know off the top of my head. But picture I have many. And a few people interested already emailed and I sent off some pics. Single dad, Rockstar, Snowboard season, under 40:happyface. get it..

VXorado
03/01/2012, 09:24 AM
First off the truck is 45mins from me, so to take a clipboard and questions and go do a walk around inspection isn't feasible right now.

You're right, it is a very long checklist & I see your point about some odd questions for the non enthusiast. No offense, but it sounds like you're not serious or ready to sell your VX. If I was interested, I would want some details (most found on the lengthy checklist) and you would need to drive the 45 minutes to check the VX anyways.

I'm sure you'll find a buyer, just saying you're eliminating 90% of the possible buyers on this site because you're listing lacks neccesary info. A local craigslist ad is probably the best choice considering most local buyers can see the VX in person... and you won't deal with the scrutiny from those of us who are enthusiasts. ;)

joeworf
03/01/2012, 10:09 AM
Soooo... just to add one more blow to the proverbial dead horse... :p

I sort of see the point about the lengthy checklist, but omitting some basic information is counterproductive if you want even a reasonable (potential buyer) response. Firstly, a price or price range. Mileage would be nice, too. If you state you have front end damage and are unable to post pictures then a bit of description as to the extent of it would be helpful as well.
I've looked at more than a few cars advertised on Craigslist and E-bay and nothing is more annoying than scant information or no or misleading photos (i.e., taken six years ago and prior to the clapped out current condition you find it in when you arrive to look it over). As was said earlier, reasonable detail and info helps to prevent wasting the time of both parties involved. Just sayin'... :smilewink

catskilljay
03/01/2012, 01:21 PM
So sorry to get everyone's panties in such a bunch :P I just figured anyone REALLY interested could just email me. Since I'm very busy and I can get emails, send pics, answer questions, take calls, text etc. all from the palm of my hand (i.e my phone) which is where all pics of vx's damage is stored. And can be done on the go, chairlift, backstage, on the john etc. Like I said I was having trouble uploading pics, The board is not too user friendly and seems a bit lacking in interfacing and technical advances. Yes I can be impatient, lazy and quite the wise@ss. But appreciate all the knowledge this board and members have to offer.

WILLY
03/01/2012, 02:18 PM
I only read about 5 of them and decided to post my first reply,I just read the whole thing,WWWOOOW :freek: on the real though,I would go buy a brand new ride with only a mile on the od from a dealer before i would be that picky about any used vehicle,even if it was a 200 thousand dollar ride.
just sayin :p

vt_maverick
03/01/2012, 05:26 PM
Forget about that list. I would never fill that out, nor would I allow someone to ask me all those questions. There's not even anything on that list about how the engine or transmission work. That's pretty important stuff. "I must know about the odors, but the engine and transmission? Forget about those. I don't even care if it has an engine or tranny." ;Dy;

When someone gives you directions to their house do they put in steps to make sure you have your car keys before you leave? Perhaps there's a reason the incredibly obvious questions are left off the already-way-too-long list... :rolleyes:

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 07:48 PM
What is incredibly obvious? The list should question odors, but not if the engine starts easily, runs smooth, and idles correctly? Nothing about how well the transmission shifts and operates? Every VX engine and trans obviously works perfectly, so that stuff should not be questioned?

Mark

Mark- you know you complained about that exact issue (engine/tranny omissions) when we first developed it and asked for input. So Tom, Mav and I (and I think a few others) tried to make it even more detailed, and it quickly expanded to about 100 questions. :freek: That was just way too much....so we kind of just settled back into using the "first" version and never got around to revising it any further. Mostly because so many felt it was already long enough. Over the many years, we've all learned this truck has some specific quirks and "issues"...we just thought it was a good idea to list them.

:thumbup: This forum is usually about helping owners and owners-to-be... so why bash this list and get sarcastic when it's just trying to help buyers and sellers? :confused: It's not etched in stone, so what's preventing you or anybody else from adding or deleting questions to it?
I recall a few sellers truncated the list and provided only some of the info or just said "N/A"....no fault, no foul...that's fine. :thumbup:

It's just a simple tool/outline/starting point, totally flexible and changeable to however the user finds most helpful, including not using it at all.
Is it not analogous to you frequently posting TSBs on various issues?.... to help get info to people so they can do with it what they may?

to Willy...you couldn't use this on a new car cuz most of this stuff wasn't known for several years.....plus it's just info...it's not a pass/fail test. :p

And to catskill...it looks worse than it is :laugho:, takes no more than 5 minutes, tops. They're not super specific or technical....they're mostly yes/no.

:wave:

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah I did complain about that before. Don't ya think those important questions about the engine and tranny shoulda went to the top of the smaller list?

Mark

yeah, well we're lazy arses and never got around to it....most people buying cars know to ask about those 2 items. And the list was never in any order of priority.
Maybe you could create the wording on those topics and shoot 'em over to Moncha to add to this archived document? :thumbup:

vt_maverick
03/02/2012, 04:20 AM
What is incredibly obvious? The list should question odors, but not if the engine starts easily, runs smooth, and idles correctly? Nothing about how well the transmission shifts and operates? Every VX engine and trans obviously works perfectly, so that stuff should not be questioned?

Mark

If you're too stupid to ask that question without needing a list to tell you to do so then you need one of these:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

VXR
03/02/2012, 05:02 AM
I would never fill that out, nor would I allow someone to ask me all those questions

X2:yesb:

Vendetta
03/02/2012, 06:46 AM
Friends,

Let's not get too proprietary over this. It's a voluntary questionnaire for the benefit of an enthusiast or detail-oriented buyer. It's not a mandatory application for an owner to sell his VX, either here or anywhere else.

However, if a seller IS going to list his vehicle here among fellow owners, enthusiasts, and detail-oriented buyers, these are the types of questions he can expect to be asked. Often repeatedly. So I see it also as a time-saving, thread-shortening device (this thread as evidence to the contrary notwithstanding), as it will eliminate such repetitive questions and answers, consolidate pertinent details, and potentially accelerate the sale.

I'd wager that sellers of pristine VXs would be happy to complete the questionnaire - listing all that's NOT wrong with them, while owners of more weathered vehicles just see it as giving potential buyers reason after reason to either not buy it or hack away at the price.

Is it mandatory? Nope.
Is it a hassle? Probably.
Is it folly to criticize it among our enthusiast membership? Bet the farm.

-V

catskilljay
03/02/2012, 10:16 AM
Don't worry about it, Jay. You're doing the right thing. You offered it for sale, take it or leave it. If someone wants to buy it, they'll buy it.

Forget about that list. I would never fill that out, nor would I allow someone to ask me all those questions. There's not even anything on that list about how the engine or transmission work. That's pretty important stuff. "I must know about the odors, but the engine and transmission? Forget about those. I don't even care if it has an engine or tranny." ;Dy;

If someone showed up at my door and pulled out that list, after the first question I'd say, "Hold it right there. Take that list, roll it up real tight, and cram it! Buh-bye." Followed by the sweet sound of my door slamming.

BTW, I'm from over in northeast PA and hike the mountains and flyfish the streams in the Catskills. We just had a new owner join up late last year from up the creek in Chichester.

Where do you board the most? Hunter or Belleayre?

Mark Griffin

Thanks for the chuckle Mark, Well Belleayre = BOOORRRIINNGGG :( too much hiking for a snowboarder. So mostly hunter, (be there Sat) worked (instructed) there for a few years. Also lived on Windham for 4+. And yes my girlfriend sent me a pic of scoobys vx (nice machine) the day she ran into him:o I felt as if she was cheating on me, with mine all banged up. lol haven't reached out to him yet but I see he's on board. love your page... Does that vx still look that great??? Another quick question.. you know anything about that ebony over in Bear Creek? Im suppost to go look her over in the near future.

circmand
03/02/2012, 01:24 PM
the people who would not provide answers or slam the door in the face of a possible buyer are the 1st to complain if their customer service experience was bad or if they got screwed buying one and the question wasn't on the list. The questionaire was devised by members here for free on their own time, this site where the ad was posted was created on the persons own time and is kept up by voluntary donations. It seems interesting that we have no problem taking advantage of the free time of others but complain about it when people provide their input that was meant to HELP not too disparage. I bet that a lot of VXs are going to be sold before this one with no info on it. And had the seller had mentioned the download problem I am sure one of our more tech savvy members would have volunteered to post them if he sent to him. And probably still would.

deermagnet
03/02/2012, 01:47 PM
Jay, I've only seen the Bear Creek VX once at a gas station while talking to Dave. He's a good guy and he'll be honest. I know it's been offroaded very hard. He mentions a couple current problems. I don't see it as a daily driver without some expensive repairs. It could be good as a second vehicle and certainly as an offroader that you wouldn't have to worry about getting a few dings and scratches.

The pics on my front page are from summer '10. It's still in great shape and runs perfectly. I have to get some new pics up shortly when the nice weather hits. After a quick wash, and shining up the tires, wheels, and cladding, any VX goes from dull to brilliant very easily. :cooly:

Mark Griffin

PK
03/02/2012, 02:11 PM
The buyers questionnaire list was made up to guide potential new owners on what to look for on our unique vehicles.
If some one was going to inspect the VX in person, they would take the list with them, and check it off, along with all the other obvious things they would look at when buying any vehicle.
Some items would be important to them, others would not. But at least they were aware of the quirks of the vehicle before they jumped in.

Buying a vehicle, or even assessing it's potential to buy, long distance, you have to ask questions and receive answers.

So if anyone refuses to answers questions, they are simply ruling out selling to that potential buyer.
If you think there are enough buyers out there that you can be lazy about selling your VX, then please continue as you are.

Simple supply and demand.

Would I use that list??
As a seller - yes.
As a buyer - I would pick the items that I was concerned about, and ask those specific questions. Not the full list.

However, all the above comments are just my opinion, and we all know what that is worth.:yesy::yeso:;)

PK

VXR
03/02/2012, 05:16 PM
Is it folly to criticize it among our enthusiast membership? Bet the farm.

-V

Settle down there V

I was just agreeing that I would not fill it out but I am not selling. After thinking about it if I were desperate to sell, had some free time, and thought it would help get a better price I would probably fill it out…

Vendetta
03/02/2012, 07:17 PM
I assure you, VXR, I'm as settled as they come. Hence my choice of "folly" over "unintelligent," "stupid," or even "asinine."

We're all particular in one way or another about our VXs, and the questionnaire manages to address most of the areas prone to enthusiasts' scrutiny when looking for a new or replacement rig. Of course you know this, which probably contributed to your update here. And you being an experienced VXer yourself, I'm confident you would seek most of the answers prior to traveling a great distance to view or purchase another VX.

-V

djvx
03/02/2012, 08:59 PM
Catskill, you just joined this forum to use it as a tool to sell your VX. I can tell you are getting irritated by some members suggestions already:bla:. It's too bad because I don't think anyone is trying to annoy you, they are just contibuting to this thread that you started to try to help you and tell you what has worked HERE in the past and how to minimize a giant thread full of questions. Saving you from 100's of emails all asking about those quirky things on the vx. Thinking it would take you less time just answering it all at once, and having it on the site as a reference to many potential buyers. :winko:
I guess for anyone not interested in his VX, let's just leave this thread, hope he sells it and moves on.

VXR
03/02/2012, 10:31 PM
I assure you, VXR, I'm as settled as they come. Hence my choice of "folly" over "unintelligent," "stupid," or even "asinine."

:confused:

vt_maverick
03/03/2012, 06:44 AM
:confused:

:confused: rather than WTF?!? - see your settled too! ;) :p

VXR
03/03/2012, 12:26 PM
:confused: rather than WTF?!? - see your settled too! ;) :p

:laughb:

catskilljay
03/04/2012, 06:17 AM
Catskill, you just joined this forum to use it as a tool to sell your VX. I can tell you are getting irritated by some members suggestions already:bla:. It's too bad because I don't think anyone is trying to annoy you, they are just contibuting to this thread that you started to try to help you and tell you what has worked HERE in the past and how to minimize a giant thread full of questions. Saving you from 100's of emails all asking about those quirky things on the vx. Thinking it would take you less time just answering it all at once, and having it on the site as a reference to many potential buyers. :winko:
I guess for anyone not interested in his VX, let's just leave this thread, hope he sells it and moves on.

No I did not join just to sell. First started poking around here back when I bought her in Oct 2010, but lost that account. I went through some serious VX collision depression after accident.:_crying: Put her in storage untill I had time, Money, headspace etc. until I figured out what to do.:_confused Then recently signed back on after deciding maybe I should sell (for the right offer) rather than fix, and add to the savings for another. Of course having a hard to come by, very rare parts car was also the thought.:_brickwal Definitely not annoyed with members only trying to help. Im a comedian and drew some good material and laughs from it.:laughb::laughb:

Scoobymlr
03/05/2012, 07:27 PM
If someone showed up at my door and pulled out that list, after the first question I'd say, "Hold it right there. Take that list, roll it up real tight, and cram it! Buh-bye." Followed by the sweet sound of my door slamming.

BTW, I'm from over in northeast PA and hike the mountains and flyfish the streams in the Catskills. We just had a new owner join up late last year from up the creek in Chichester.

Where do you board the most? Hunter or Belleayre?

Mark Griffin[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mark LOL...:yesb:

VXR
03/05/2012, 11:45 PM

:laughb:

deermagnet
03/06/2012, 07:19 AM
This list thing just reminded me of Sam Malone on Cheers when he was selling his Corvette. He wanted it to go to a dedicated Corvette lover and actually had a list of questions for potential buyers.
It went like this-

Sam Malone: This'll be pretty simple, here. Just a few multiple choice questions.

Dennis Hammill: Great. Shoot.

Sam Malone: Number one. Its high noon. You're driving
in Harvard Square. Parking is limited. Do you:
A. Park in a handicap zone.
B. Park in a regular spot under a tree.
C. Drive around till a space opens up.

Dennis Hammill: C.

Sam Malone: [rants] What, are you nuts? I cant believe it, man. It's
a trick question. You don't drive this baby at high noon, man. Sun
damage, bucko. What the hell's wrong with you? What do you want to
do, oxydize the paint? Get out of here, you make me sick. I can't
believe it, he wants to drive my car, high noon in Harvard Square...

We should have a list of questions like that for sellers to ask buyers if they want their VX to go to a good home. ;Dy;

Mark

vt_maverick
03/06/2012, 07:36 AM
Lol, I actually had a similar experience when I bought my OEM nose mask from another member. We spent about 20 minutes on the phone while he "felt me out" to see if I was only interested in buying it to (a) hoarde it in my closet for later sale or trade or (b) flip it on eBay. Fortunately he believed me when I said I wanted to actually use it, but even then he asked me to post pics here.

There is a reason we say "welcome to the obsession" to new members. :yesy:

Scoobymlr
03/06/2012, 02:11 PM
LOL... Maverick..
Very nice JOB on the list Mark ( Funny)

catskilljay
03/06/2012, 07:13 PM
lol mark... what a great show! Don't remember that episode though... Netflix here i come!

deermagnet
03/06/2012, 08:36 PM
That Cheers bit was from Season 8, Episode 5, circa 1989. I just found it online and made an audio recording of that scene.

It's a Windows Media Audio file, so ya probably need a Windows Media Player for it. 1:16, 917 KB-

www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx3/cheers.wma (www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx3/cheers.wma)

Mark