PDA

View Full Version : p040 even with new egr

zadam123
02/25/2012, 07:08 AM
I got the engine code p 0405 and have been for over year. it would sometimes go away doing t e g r cleaningI just bought a new e g r valve installed it disconnected the battery for 15 minutes drove the car for about 20 miles and the check engine light came back on. Should I have sprayed carb cleaner in the port before installing the new e g r valve?. What else could that would be?
Thanks

Ldub
02/25/2012, 07:45 AM
Had the same thing happen after replacing mine.

Played dumb when I went back to auto zone, had them read the code & they said I needed a new egr.

Had them get a new one from the shelf, & when they started ringing it up, i said "a hunnerd & HOW many dollars?...um NO, that'll be NO CHARGE"

I then presented them with my receipt, & they reluctantly agreed.

I changed out the parts in their parking lot...:yesgray:.:laughing:

But yeah, you should always scrub out as much carbon from the port & tube as possible, with carb cleaner & a good stiff wire brush (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-tube-brush-kit-95947.html).

Y33TREKker
02/25/2012, 11:51 AM
Are codes read and automatically reset the same in the OBD system of a VX similarly to earlier OBD systems? My car is OBD-l, and I'll get occasional CEL's if driving conditions (and subsequently - engine sensor readings) change dramatically between the last time I drove and now. (for instance, the temperature drops 30 or 40 degrees).

When that happens, it usually takes a few times of shutting the car off, starting it, and driving it to let the ECU know that driving conditions are remaining constant and that the different sensor readings are not a fault of the sensors themselves.

Maybe your CEL will go off on it's own if you drive your VX a few times and the ECU starts to recognize the new EGR readings as the new norm?

zadam123
02/25/2012, 02:27 PM
im sorry my bad

the code is really p0401

which is still the egr valve

hxdiaz
03/12/2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, try spraying cleaner in one of the ports, I used throttle body cleaner. There is a thread that says to plug one of the ports and spray cleaner into the other port while the engine is running. With your hand rev the engine a little while spraying the cleaner.

I think you plug the bigger port towards the back and spray into the smaller port. I used a rag to plug the port.

After two years of my engine light going on and off, this trick fixed it.