PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked my VX

Ala5ka
02/23/2012, 05:35 PM
I was driving to AZ from CA to see my family on Friday night for the long weekend and I hit a semi truck tire just outside of Parker at highway speed. Long story short I kept it on the road, the tube bumper saved me, but there is some damage. Broken window, lost mirror, hood damage from road signs, rear quarter panel trashed, some broken lights, scratched door, rim rub, and tire gash. I picked up the truckers tire, broke off the plastic that was rubbing, and brought it back to him where he was on the side of the road. (He blew the tire and I found his recap tread all in one piece) My GF and I are fine but the shop is charging his insurance just over $3k to fix it. All mechanical operation is perfect minus alignment. Drove the last 100 miles home, and drove my moms car back to CA. I hope to get the VX back this weekend or the next. I'll keep you guys updated with pics and status as I get it, but thank God for his protection over us and Isuzu for making such a stout little truck. To top it all off my iPhone was stolen this morning at Starbucks so that sucks, but at least I didn't roll over and die :)

Thank VXKAT for the helpful info, if my shop can't get that rear panel or mirror I may need to source him one. They are repainting the hood, door, and quarter panel so he asked if I wanted everything the same...I'm getting the whole hood done in matte black which should be neat. Anything else that should be done while its at the shop?
I'm getting the whole thing looked over as the undercarriage skid plate back was rubberized from the tire but works fine and drove perfectly. Will the shop be able to source new panels because he said they were all listed and gave me a price?
I may be getting new tires as well even though mine are only two months old or something, and new rims if mine are damaged at all.

Ldub
02/23/2012, 05:41 PM
Glad you & yours are OK...:yes:

:luck: with the repairs...:yesgray:

tomdietrying
02/23/2012, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear the news, but like Ldub said......glad everyone is o.k.
Peace.
Tom

Mile High VX
02/23/2012, 05:50 PM
Great to hear that everyone is fine...and that the VX will be repaired and good as new in short ordered!

Vendetta
02/23/2012, 05:52 PM
I hate reading this, but love that you were here to write it.

St. Christopher FTW.

And oh yeah, the VX too.
-V

JoFotoz
02/23/2012, 05:57 PM
DITTO..on the Great yer OK.

And if your gonna deal insurance..truckers insurance is pretty much the best.

You need FOUR NEW TIRES...the TOD demands it :p

Hope she's back rolling soon....:_steering

Jo

jeeperkate
02/23/2012, 06:00 PM
Every time I hear about a car crash or see flashing lights lately I go into a comatose state.

I am VERY happy to hear that everyone involved is healthy. And, of course it's great that the VX will be repaired!

circmand
02/24/2012, 05:57 AM
everyone is okay. Your shop seems better than mine. I wrecked (hit a deer) on SB Sunday and won't have the new hood until March 1. Then who knows how long. I had to suggest to the damn shop they get the other parts in and do that work then when the hood gets in install it and paint. I guess they never had to rent a car.

samneil2000
02/24/2012, 06:08 AM
Ditto what everyone else said. Glad you're ok.

Ala5ka
02/24/2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I guess the repairs won't be done until next week so I've gotta hold on a little longer. Turns out State Farm has some evaluative system for deciding on what "really" needs to be fixed that takes some time. They should just say "oh your'e on the VX.forum, what can you tell us needs fixed." yep that's it :)

vt_maverick
02/24/2012, 08:00 AM
Will the shop be able to source new panels because he said they were all listed and gave me a price?.

When I had my VX repaired in November they were able to get everything but the hood, which they had to buy used from an Ironman in Montana I think. I was amazed that they were able to get everything so quickly, hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Sorry to hear about this, believe me I know the feeling. :mady:

circmand
02/24/2012, 10:48 AM
When I had my VX repaired in November they were able to get everything but the hood, which they had to buy used from an Ironman in Montana I think. I was amazed that they were able to get everything so quickly, hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Sorry to hear about this, believe me I know the feeling. :mady:

Out of stock got 6 coming over on a boat and by the time they get here they will probably be gone. I am happy that I am getting a new one though.

CoastieCosta567
02/24/2012, 06:05 PM
Its good to hear you ok, thats all that matters, oh and that ur VX lady will return back to ya as well. God bless brotha :)

pbkid
02/25/2012, 09:34 AM
glad to hear that your doing alright. From what you described, sounds like you didnt exactly stay in your lane after you hit the tire. Like you said, thanks Isuzu for making such a stout and sporty little truck. Something like my 4Runner and you probably would have rolled, rather than keeping it shiny side up! :thumbup:

+1 for the VX, and the big man upstairs watching over you!

Ala5ka
03/02/2012, 10:20 PM
State Farm approved the repairs and it began yesterday, stripped, paint, an parts ordered. managed to order new rear bumper, passenger quarter panel, passenger marker lights, and window. Thank you VXKat, the shop should have already called you about one of those mirrors. Can't wait to see her with a full black hood :) what do you guys think? Everything mechanical will be replaced if it's broken, tires may be replaced. I'm thinking about some new OME springs as well.

vt_maverick
03/03/2012, 06:45 AM
Black on silver/white looks sharp IMHO. :thumbup: Can't wait to see pics!

VX KAT
03/03/2012, 06:50 AM
State Farm approved the repairs and it began yesterday, stripped, paint, an parts ordered. managed to order new rear bumper, passenger quarter panel, passenger marker lights, and window. Thank you VXKat, the shop should have already called you about one of those mirrors. Can't wait to see her with a full black hood :) what do you guys think? Everything mechanical will be replaced if it's broken, tires may be replaced. I'm thinking about some new OME springs as well.

Yup, the shop called me Thursday for the passenger mirror.

Check out VXorado's pics, he's got the white VX with black hood, give you some idea of how it will look.

Ala5ka
03/09/2012, 08:13 AM
Called the shop yesterday the only thing preventing me from driving it away is a passenger window which had to be made and the passenger mirror :) as soon as I get those we are off to the mechanics shop where they will hopefully just do alignment and new tires or do a complimentary lift for me, and we're back on the road :)

vt_maverick
03/09/2012, 08:18 AM
Awesome! Great to hear!

VX KAT
03/09/2012, 09:21 AM
Called the shop yesterday the only thing preventing me from driving it away is a passenger window which had to be made and the passenger mirror :) as soon as I get those we are off to the mechanics shop where they will hopefully just do alignment and new tires or do a complimentary lift for me, and we're back on the road :)

The dealership called me this morning for the passenger mirror. :thumbup: They're mailing a check to me so it will just be a day or so and I'll get it shipped off. Glad you'll be all put back together real soon! Always great to hear stories like this (not the accident part :goof:) but the repair facility that goes out of their way and thinks outside the box to fix a customer's rare rig!:thumbup:

Ala5ka
03/19/2012, 01:29 PM
Getting the lil beats back this weekend hopefully, all new parts (cladding, tires, paint, passenger window) Thanks a ton to Sue for her help with the mirror! I'll post as soon as I get it with pictures :)

Ala5ka
03/21/2012, 03:42 PM
Getting it back on FRIDAY! I'm so stoked!

Ala5ka
03/26/2012, 04:40 PM
I have it back, I'll post pics as soon as I clean it up. The shop did a terrible job cleaning up all of the glass and scratched up a ton of interior panels and my hood insert :( Five weeks later I'm not exactly pleased with the results other than it is in perfect mechanical condition (they didn't even need to realign it) and the body is right which is all I really needed.

What all was needed:
rear passenger cladding
passenger mirror
paint door
paint hood
fix hood dents
VehiCROSS decal passenger
passenger window
passenger marker light
fix metal behind passenger rear cladding
replace bolts of tire shredding death in wheel well with rivets :)
That should be it :) again pics coming soon

H3_VX
03/26/2012, 06:05 PM
Glad all were ok. Happy you are able to repair your VX. Be careful out there.