PDA

View Full Version : Might be selling my VX.

tomdietrying
02/16/2012, 03:21 PM
I know..........I haven't been around much. Well, I've been looking. A Jeep Commander Overland has caught my eye. I know it's not the same sharp styling of the VX, but there's something about it I like.

My VX has been a great, exhilarating experience. I took it to the promise land 6 times (Moab ZuZu). It's been awesome. My vehicle has the following:

Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18, White Front Skid Plate by Vehicrossconcepts.com, Flow Master Muffler, Dual Chome Tip SS Exhaust, Swordy's Designed Custom Rock Sliders, Jay's Designed Custum Belly Skid Plate, Two RearTrooper Skid Plates, Line-Xed Bra, Line-Xed Front Cladding, 4200 Series Pilot Driving Lights, Malibu 18 Watt Bulb in Fog Lights, Custum VX Side Marker with White Backing made by Klearz Lens, Custum VX Clear Turn Signal made by Klearz Lens, Custom Titanium VX Front Logo, Flashing Brake Light by Tone, Flashing Indicator Side Lights, Window Fairings made by WeatherTech, OME 912 Springs, K& N Air Filter, Dynamated the Spare, Tone's Storage Box, Tinted Windows, One Inch Wheel Adapters, and Debadged the Ironman Logo.

127K miles
clean interior
2 inch scratch on the hood,
no other damage to the body
runs exceptionally well

I've had it 9 years, and it had 17,000 miles on it when I bought her.

This is what she needs:
New tires - $1136 for Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18
Front half shaft - $450
Both windows bind - I bought the fix - I haven't installed yet
Drivers tail light will not come on - I put a new fuse in - it last about 2 minutes before blowing - I'm guessing $60
ABS light on

I checked out two places to see what I might get as a trade in.
CarMax - $1700
Dealership - $3000

Wow! Really! My Front skid Plate, custom rock sliders, and my custom belly skid plate is over $1000 alone!

Is this what I can expect?

Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
02/16/2012, 03:38 PM
Don't make me drive all the way to your place to slap some sense into you. A heep commander of all things...NO!

vt_maverick
02/16/2012, 04:01 PM
Well I will take the VXC front skid plate if you're willing to sell it separately...

VXorado
02/16/2012, 04:03 PM
Well you should be able to get at least $5k for a great condition, bone stock VX with 127K. IMO, I would part out the goodies if you can't get at least $6K+ selling it privately and if you're not in a rush, price it at $7k and go from there. Also, you might consider buying an EMPI halfshaft for $70 and replacing it yourself. That should boost the selling value.

I looked at Commanders a couple years ago when I was replacing my car. I liked the price, size & V8 the Commander had but I heard that they have a ton of issues. I researched a bit on the Jeep forums.

Ldub
02/16/2012, 06:27 PM
:(...:flower:

Scott Harness
02/17/2012, 05:07 AM
Don't make me drive all the way to your place to slap some sense into you. A heep commander of all things...NO!

Billy...I'll take care of it.He is just across town.:yesb:

Scott Harness
02/17/2012, 05:15 AM
The way I look at it,if you're not going to get much for it...keep it...buy what ever for a DD Not even being biased...It is the most unique vehicle out there!

H3_VX
02/17/2012, 05:35 AM
The way I look at it,if you're not going to get much for it...keep it...buy what ever for a DD Not even being biased...It is the most unique vehicle out there!

I agree with Scott here. If you're not gonna get anything for it in the trade, then just keep it and buy the Jeep outright. If they are only gonna give you $3000 thats only about $50 a month on a payment. Hell, i'll take a VX for that.

Dumke
02/17/2012, 06:25 AM
Billy...I'll take care of it.He is just across town.:yesb:

x2 on that one.

VXorado
02/17/2012, 06:59 AM
I agree with Scott here. If you're not gonna get anything for it in the trade, then just keep it and buy the Jeep outright. If they are only gonna give you $3000 thats only about $50 a month on a payment. Hell, i'll take a VX for that.

Definitely avoid trading in at dealerships. Its convenient but always a rip off.

WormGod
02/17/2012, 07:34 AM
Tom, I feel ya....

I have been debating the same thing for a little over a year now. My VX just sits in my garage and only gets about 2500-3k miles a year. That's good and all, but it's also a waste.

I had that scare recently with a possible major engine issue, and for the most part, it is resolved (EGR line had snapped and was rattling everywhere.... but didn't throw a CEL). I still think there may be some valve lashing that I can correct, but that's pretty minor right now. ABS is crud, but big surprise there.

Other than those couple of things, it is a nearly flawless, low mileage, S/C'd VX. I would ONLY ever sell to someone here who was looking or a replacement or second (or third... or fourth....). Basically, someone who knows it's unique value. And hopefully, not one of you clowns who butchers them for trail use. :p

We shall see though.... we shall see....

Vendetta
02/17/2012, 07:49 AM
Dibs on WormGod's VX! LOL

Tom, having a VX makes life better. This is a clinically proven fact. True story. So once you have one, NOT having one will make life not better, or "worse," as some like to call it.

So unless the amount for which you sell it will make your life better to a degree equal to or greater than the amount of not betterness - or "worseness" - achieved by not having the VX, and thereby leaving you net-neutral or positive, I recommend you consider all options to retain VX ownership.

And it would suck to see you go.

-V

circmand
02/17/2012, 08:04 AM
how little carmax is offering. It makes the dealership look positively generous and we know how crooked they are.

VX KAT
02/17/2012, 08:45 AM
So unless the amount for which you sell it will make your life better to a degree equal to or greater than the amount of not betterness - or "worseness" - achieved by not having the VX, and thereby leaving you net-neutral or positive, I recommend you consider all options to retain VX ownership.

-V

:_thinking....is zap sumpin' like dis??? :_thinking

E=mc2

nfpgasmask
02/17/2012, 10:03 AM
The bottom line here is, Isuzus, and most Japanese cars and light trucks are not yet at the collectible point, unless you go back to the 70s. We will continue to see the "value" of our VXes go down as years press on, but at some point, sometime in the future, they will be worth money.

Bart

PS - Tom, hate to see you go!!

Riff Raff
02/17/2012, 12:43 PM
The bottom line here is, Isuzus, and most Japanese cars and light trucks are not yet at the collectible point, unless you go back to the 70s. We will continue to see the "value" of our VXes go down as years press on, but at some point, sometime in the future, they will be worth money.

x2. True dat. The only Japanese light truck I can think of that appreciates in value every year is the legendary Toyota FJ-40.

Our VX's do have somewhat an advantage of supply-n-demand. When and if it comes time to sell, it's all about if you can find a hungry enough buyer that's just got to have it despite the asking price. For example-- if you can find a high school kid with rich parents, then the parents will gladly pay the asking price just to get their kid to shut up. Another great place to sell is your local golf course parking lot.

When and if I decide to sell my VX, I'm gonna' put large For Sale signs in all of the windows and park it in plain view within the local high school parking lot that teaches high-end snooty yuppy type high school kids in the rich part of town. Then, just wait for some young 16 year old punk kid with his/her brand new "learner's permit" start to drool over the VX. You'll soon be getting a phone call from a distraught rich parent asking to set-up a meet to purchase the VX for the full asking price (no questions asked).

Bottom Line-- when selling the VX, you have to target your audience. Being a 2-door SUV/PUV, the VX is not gonna' be purchased by someone who has a family (they all want a 4-door vehicle). You're gonna' need to target either the single young person or the older person that their kids have already flew the chicken coop. If you want to target the older rich crowd for a buyer, then park the VX with its For Sale signs at the local Golf Course.

Thus, pick a rich high school for selling to a young single kid; or pick a golf course for selling to a older married/single person with no kids. The problem with golfer's is that they will want to haggle a lot on the price; whereas, a screaming young high school punk kid will get their parents to pay full asking price. The downside is that the high school kid will likely destroy or permanently wreck (total) the VX within 6 months of ownership; whereas, the golfer will cherish and care for the VX for many years to come.

If you're only after top dollar and don't care about the future longivity of your VX, then sell it to the high school punk kid with rich parents. If you have a soft heart; and would like to see your beloved VX live on and not be totaled, then sell it to the golfer at the risk of not receiving top dollar.

:bgwb:

nfpgasmask
02/17/2012, 12:55 PM
Well, yeah, the VX has an advantage say, over an old Trooper or my Impulse, because it has a very unique appeal, and it is very rare. So, if KBB is saying a VX with 150,000 miles is worth $3000, I would say you can double your asking price to $6000 if your VX is in good shape and mechanically sound, simply because it is unique and rare. You will find a buyer. It will take time, but the buyer will come.

Bart

BigSwede
02/17/2012, 01:12 PM
This is what she needs:
Front half shaft - $450

That's about 10x what a salvage yard would charge for one...there, I just saved ya $400!

nocturnalVX
02/17/2012, 10:55 PM
:freek: :eek: :_wtf: :_brickwal :slap:

Absolutely! I plan on following Jay over to the dark side & get a 2dr Rubicon Wrangler when I pull the trigger on a new vehicle. However... I will NOT get rid of the VX, but keep it as another toy (not a DD).

djvx
02/17/2012, 11:20 PM
Tom....Tom?...OMG i think he sold it.;eeky; He disapeared and now he is avoiding us. Or someone tied him up and is trying to talk some sense into him:_mecker:

BeeVenom
02/19/2012, 05:55 PM
I would think, Tom, around 6-7K for just a plain, running OK, stock 120,000 mile VX with no problems needing fixing right away, and looking good cosmetically. If not, keep it. You may wish you did keep it only a few years down the road.......You didn't already sell it ridiculously low, did you??? ;eeky;

tomdietrying
02/19/2012, 06:29 PM
I'm still here. Taking in everyone's advice. I'm still looking.

I made another post about someone giving me a visual in VA on a vehicle. Here it is.

Well, I missed out on a beauty in Dallas this week. My search continues for a Commander Overland. The good news. I think I may have found another one. The problem. It's in Harrisonburg, VA. Anyone on the board near Harrisonburg, VA? I found a sweet looking Commander, but I'm here in Texas. If someone could check out this vehicle, I would really appreciate it. Here's the kicker, this dealer has a sweet looking dark green VX too! Looks really good. It even comes with a roof rack.

Here's the website http://www.selectautosalesofva.com Go to inventory, look under SUV, the VX is the 2nd vehicle on the first page. The Commander is the 2nd vehicle on the second page.

Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
02/19/2012, 06:45 PM
Tom, just don't plan on doing ANY offroading in the jeep if you want to keep your warranty in tact. Even though they are "trail rated" and advertised for offroading, any signs of offroad use and the dealership will void the warranty. :(

Scott Harness
02/20/2012, 07:19 AM
Tom, just don't plan on doing ANY offroading in the jeep if you want to keep your warranty in tact. Even though they are "trail rated" and advertised for offroading, any signs of offroad use and the dealership will void the warranty. :(

That's what I thought! My wife bought a really nice "trail rated" Wrangler...lift kit, nice wheels.I asked the sales guy about offroading and warranty. It will be Ok...so I can bash it on some rocks then.NO NO NO!:upsetgray

Scott Harness
02/20/2012, 07:21 AM
Jeeps idea of offroading is fire lanes, dirt roads,etc etc

Triathlete
02/20/2012, 09:09 AM
A friend of mine had a Rubicon. Did some lite wheeling. At some time a rock got thrown up and put a small ding in the undercarrage...jeep would no longer honor the warranty. He was only a year into it :(

tomdietrying
03/09/2012, 08:13 PM
Well, here's the latest. I was scoping out a b@d@ss lifted Commander Overland in Virgina. Well, it sold this morning and it wasn't to me. I'm going to take my time and continue my hunt for the right one at the right price. In the meantime, I think I'm going to really fix up my VX. It's been about two years since I put any real money into her. So, I going to spruce her up REAL PURDY and enjoy her again. Who knows I might even take Riff's advice and find the right market.

Bottom line, I love my VX, I love this forum, time is on my side, so................................................ .........I'm going to keep on keeping on.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
03/10/2012, 07:16 AM
Well, here's the latest. I was scoping out a b@d@ss lifted Commander Overland in Virgina. Well, it sold this morning and it wasn't to me. I'm going to take my time and continue my hunt for the right one at the right price. In the meantime, I think I'm going to really fix up my VX. It's been about two years since I put any real money into her. So, I going to spruce her up REAL PURDY and enjoy her again. Who knows I might even take Riff's advice and find the right market.

Bottom line, I love my VX, I love this forum, time is on my side, so................................................ .........I'm going to keep on keeping on.

Peace.
Tom

:dance:...:thumbup:

VX crazy
03/10/2012, 08:31 AM

Peace.
Tom

Yay! It gets like that, for me too, hadn't washed mine in like 1 1/2 yrs, finally did the total detail, and I am really feeling it again!

roguebrun
03/10/2012, 09:27 AM
If u sell let us know I might be interested in.buying

Scott Harness
03/10/2012, 10:54 AM
Wise choice.....but you can buy my wifes Wrangler:p

vt_maverick
03/10/2012, 11:30 AM
Good to hear you're sticking around Tom! Must be fate, I just found out Friday that I'd have time to stop by the dealership tomorrow afternoon to check out the Jeep for you. How weird that it just sold yesterday...

PHO2GR4
03/10/2012, 01:11 PM
Tom is one of the genuinely nicest, coolest VXers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting in person. I'm glad he's sticking around. :)

Triathlete
03/10/2012, 04:41 PM
X2 what pho said!

tomdietrying
03/11/2012, 08:58 AM
To quote the great actress Sally Fields "..........I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" '85 Oscar speech :yesy:

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
rouguebrun, I didn't know there was another Dallasite on the boards besides Scott. It's been a while since we had a Dallas mini meet. I don't like speaking for people, but I think Scott would be up for one. What about it?

Scott Harness
03/11/2012, 11:59 AM
I'm always ready:yesb:

VX crazy
03/11/2012, 06:55 PM
A friend of mine had a Rubicon. Did some lite wheeling. At some time a rock got thrown up and put a small ding in the undercarrage...jeep would no longer honor the warranty. He was only a year into it :(

That can happen on the highway, to any vehicle, sounds fishy.......

VX crazy
03/11/2012, 06:56 PM
Jeeps idea of offroading is fire lanes, dirt roads,etc etc

I have offloaded with a stock jeep unlimited, shocked the owners AND me of what it was capable of........

Scott Harness
03/12/2012, 06:43 AM
I have offloaded with a stock jeep unlimited, shocked the owners AND me of what it was capable of........

I was speaking of the corporate mindset and warranty issues:yeso:

VX crazy
03/12/2012, 11:13 AM
I was speaking of the corporate mindset and warranty issues:yeso:

I gotcha Scott! :) All manufacturers will do that with warranty tho, you just have to stay firm with them......I remember with my first VX they tried to say changing mufflers voided my warranty when it was brand new, just for a purge canister CEL, I reminded them it was other side of catalytic converter and that would not void any warranty.....they will try to NOT replace as much as they can.

Petos
03/23/2012, 10:36 AM
Don't even think about this, Tom!
I plan to move to the US office in a couple of years and expect to meet you again on Moab 2014 :)