PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Moab VX Run

pbkid
02/12/2012, 08:04 PM
Please only vote for a trail if you are attending moab so we can get an accurate count of what trail everyone would like to run.

pbkid
02/12/2012, 08:18 PM
Here is a little description for everyone of each trail-

Elephant Hill-
The trail requires more highway driving than most day trips -- about 75 miles each way. Vehicles should be capable of maintaining 55MPH highway speed. It is best to plan for enough fuel to complete 175 miles of travel, although gasoline is available at the Needles Outpost. The Park Service will require that a normal entrance fee be paid and that all National Park regulations be followed (the trail is within the park's "backcountry plan," and pets are not allowed even if they are inside vehicles). The 2005 fee will be $10 per vehicle, but annual permits, Golden Eagle Passports, or Golden Age Passports may be used. The optional hikes are about one-half mile each way and require some minor rock scrambling. No long wheelbase (more than 115 Inches), please.

Elephant Hill itself has difficult climbs in both directions -- even after cement was added to some ledges to obviate the need for chinking them with loose rocks. There are other ledges between grabens, and a little slickrock at the Silver Stairs.

Gold Bar Rim-

Gold Bar Rim is a cliff rim that stands about 1200 feet above Highway 191's path in Moab Canyon. Because the rocks behind the cliff slope downward to the southwest, the rim has a 360° vista. Gold Bar Canyon drains away from the rim into the Colorado River. The trail climbs the cliff in stages, first angling up to Little Canyon, then working its way to Gold Bar Canyon to follow the slope of the Wingate Sandstone layer up to the rim. After doubling back from the rim, the trail begins a loop to include Bull Canyon bottom for a view of Gemini Bridges from below.
The Gold Bar Rim vistas take in almost all of the local country, including Moab and its valleys, the La Sal Mountains, the Book Cliffs, and parts of the Colorado River canyon. The Bull Canyon portion includes the top of a 300-foot pour-off to a lower canyon and follows the deepening canyon upstream to where the canyon is again 300 feet deep. The canyon walls have several hard-to-find arches, but the double span of Gemini Bridges makes it one of the prizes of the region.

Fins and Things-
The trail is reached via the Sand Flats Road, and the territory it covers is the rolling country east of the Hell's Revenge trail and between Negro Bill Canyon and North Fork of Mill Creek Canyon. (Sand Flats is now a fee area for individual visitors, but because this event pays a land-use fee, the Moab Easter Jeep Safari trips pay no additional fee.) There are a few sudden and steep climbs on and off the slickrock that can be difficult for vehicles with long overhangs. Any tire tread will do on the slickrock, but the clearance added by tall tires is always an advantage, while an aggressive tread helps in the sand.
The trail opens with a sand hill featuring a sharp turn that thwarts the high-speed approach often needed in sand, but the hill can be bypassed. There are several steep ups and downs on the slickrock that will drag front, rear, and maybe middle of some vehicles. Slickrock climbs climbs called "Frenchie's Fin" and "Ken's Climb" are about as steep as we can do.
(Dragging is generally not an issue for the VX on this trail, more applicable for Troopers)

Top of the World-
"Top of the World" is a viewpoint on Waring Mesa. It has a spectacular view of Fisher Valley, Onion Creek, and the La Sal Mountains, but this view is only part of a variety of landscapes seen from this trail. Waring Mesa is east of Moab and south of the Dewey Bridge crossing of the Colorado River. In addition to the 7,000-foot viewpoint at Top of the World, the route sometimes includes Sevenmile Mesa, the canyon of Fisher Creek, Fisher Valley, and Onion Creek with its unusual, narrow canyon. Above Fisher Creek is possibly the longest of our steep and rocky hills (called "Rose Garden Hill"). There are 32 miles of pavement at one end of the off-road trail and 22 miles at the other with about 40 miles off-highway in between.

Klondike Bluffs-
Klondike Bluffs is an easy to moderate trail for stock SUVs. The main attractions are the dinosaur tracks in the slickrock and the view into Arches National Park after a short hike at the end of the trail. Parts of the trail can be slick when wet so use caution. Route finding is easy as the trail is well marked with sign posts or with white painted dashes on the slickrock.

The trail begins as a wide, dusty dirt road until you get to a parking area where the trail intersects with the Copper Ridge trail. Many people drive their bicycles in to this point and start biking from here. After the parking area, the trail follows a creek bed. There is one optional obstacle about halfway to the top that can be very challenging, but you can drive around it on the main trail.

The trail is still dirt for awhile, with rocky sections. Then the trail moves to solid slickrock, and this is where you should watch for dinosaur footprints. They're easy to spot if the rings of rocks put around them are still in place, but these can be dislodged. Do not drive over the tracks, and replace the stones if they've been disturbed. There are many tracks both close to the trail and a short walking distance away from it.

After the slickrock slab, the trail begins to alternate between slickrock and a sandy road. Continue to follow signs for Klondike Bluffs. There is a right turn off of the main trail where you can view the ruins of the Brontosaur Copper Mine very close to the main trail. Return to the trail from the mine to continue on.

Soon the trail is closed to vehicles with signs. There is parking here. It appears that a large rock now blocks the trail, though it seems that vehicles could once drive past this point. If you are in a vehicle you must hike up the hill from here. If you are on a bicycle you can continue your ride a bit further.

At the top of the first hill is the boundary with Arches National Park, and only hikers are allowed. There is a bike rack where bikes can be left, and everyone must hike from here. Follow the cairns across the slickrock to amazing views of the Klondike Bluffs themselves, Arches National Park, and the northern section of Highway 191.

You can return the way you came, or continue on. Near the end of the trail at mile 6.3, a side road labeled as "Baby Steps" heads northeast off the main trail. Take this trail if you wish to continue on and exit on the far north end of Highway 191 just before I-70. The trail is considerably rougher as you climb up and over the last hill. It can be narrow and loose as you come over the top.

After you decend to the bottom of the hill, the trail smooths out and it is a wide, easy dirt road.

JoFotoz
02/12/2012, 08:59 PM
Elephant Hill is a bit of a trek......

...but 20 - 25 VX's cruising along together will make it seem like two minutes away.

For those that have not done Moab before.....

..even the paved road VX convoys will put a shiver in yer timbers.

I give it a :thumbup:

jo

Triathlete
02/12/2012, 09:16 PM
Jack, I think for a group as large as the VX run, Elephant Hill would be a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg day.
The slickrock of Fins and Things is always a blast and there are a lot of fun obstacles to keep everyone from getting bored plus you can hit baby lionsback on the way out and your pass is good for 3 days for those that want to hit hells revenge or porcipine rim.
Gold bar rim has a lot of variety plus gemini bridges is a nice side trip.
I think rose garden/top of the world would be fun in the opposite direction than we did it...though with a smaller group not as the VX run .
Just my 2 cents for anyone that cares.

VX KAT
02/12/2012, 10:21 PM
I really liked Top of the World, the scenery, that view, and that photo op make it spectacular. Noobes will take away one heck of a memorable experience!

Fins & Things is also a great choice.

VX KAT
02/12/2012, 11:06 PM
Can't recall which this is on... Fins & Things or Hells Revenge?

MAV->->->TAKE NOTICE:
A front plastic skid and a Westin bull bar will get scraped up really good coming down this.....think the backend drags too. About half way down you slide down this hill, even with full brake on, so you will hit the front on the slickrock. ***don't ask me how I know****
This was from '09:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3225/DSCN1665.JPG

VXobsession
02/13/2012, 05:49 AM
I prefer to not scratch up my pretty VX on any rocks that my rearend or frontend might drag on. However, I have never been that far west.....I'm looking for a memorable experience with my fellow VXers. What day will the VX run take place?

MSHardeman
02/13/2012, 08:36 AM
Just about any of the trails that Jack suggested can be run, scratch free, in a stock VX. Just take your time. Others can attest to this; I drive like a little ol' grandmother going to church on Sunday's out in Moab. The first year I was totally stock and didn't even get the D-shaped Moab tailpipe that others have gotten. Take your time, trust your spotter, and it'll be a great time.

VXorado
02/13/2012, 08:45 AM
I really liked Top of the World, the scenery, that view, and that photo op make it spectacular. Noobes will take away one heck of a memorable experience!

Fins & Things is also a great choice.

I think rose garden/top of the world would be fun in the opposite direction than we did it...though with a smaller group not as the VX run .
Just my 2 cents for anyone that cares.

+1, I remember Top of the World going very slow with everyone. It would be fun to try on another day with a smaller group.

I prefer to not scratch up my pretty VX on any rocks that my rearend or frontend might drag on. However, I have never been that far west.....I'm looking for a memorable experience with my fellow VXers. What day will the VX run take place?

Tuesday, May 15th

Everyone splits off into smaller groups for the rest of the week.

VX KAT
02/13/2012, 09:06 AM
Mark, how did you get down this hill w/o hitting front end?? :?:

Yeah, I forgot, TOTW did take a long time when there's a large group, but dang it sure is spectacular!

OK, OK call me a wuss... :o. .(and totally set JoFotoz off :p) but I don't want to get much damage to my plastic skids...so.....

The trail book listed Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things as "Difficult"...yet I wouldn't rank them that hard...so looking in the trail book for degree of difficulty doesn't give real world experience like you all have.

1) Jack and everybody...why don't you give a ROUGH estimate of time including to/fromfor each of the 5 you listed (say we have 15 VXs or something like that).

2) Also, I know the trail books rank them as far as difficulty, but why don't you give some idea of real obstacles etc... that could cause damage to front or rear. I've only done Fins and TOTW, haven't done the other three..
please don't shoot me anybody.....:o

VXorado
02/13/2012, 09:58 AM
OK, OK call me a wuss... :o. .(and totally set JoFotoz off :p) but I don't want to get much damage to my plastic skids...so.....

Can you remove the skid plates at the stoop and leave them off until the end of the week? I remember someone removed their skid plates the year I went to avoid damage.

crager34
02/13/2012, 10:44 AM
Can't recall which this is on... Fins & Things or Hells Revenge?

MAV->->->TAKE NOTICE:
A front plastic skid and a Westin bull bar will get scraped up really good coming down this.....think the backend drags too. About half way down you slide down this hill, even with full brake on, so you will hit the front on the slickrock. ***don't ask me how I know****
This was from '09:

Looks like Hells Revenge. The orange/yellow flame on the rock is the clue.

vt_maverick
02/13/2012, 10:51 AM
I'm leaning towards Top of the World so far, even if it does take awhile - Sue is right, I am NOT driving all the way to Utah only to come home without that picture! :D However I am a little scared that I might forget to drop her out of 1st when I let go of the clutch. I'm imagining Wile E. Coyote vanishing in a little puff of smoke way down below... :eek:

Can you remove the skid plates at the stoop and leave them off until the end of the week? I remember someone removed their skid plates the year I went to avoid damage.

It's kind of a pain in the *** but yes you can. The plates fit so snug that tightening and loosening the bolts can be time consuming, but it can be done without anything other than an allen wrench.

Dumke
02/13/2012, 10:53 AM
1) Jack and everybody...why don't you give a ROUGH estimate of time including to/fromfor each of the 5 you listed (say we have 15 VXs or something like that).

Also if anyone knows how to get to said trails include that as well. In 2010 I do remember a certain person (not naming names)taking us to Posion Spider instead of Steel Bender.. HAHA man I cant wait, Moab is right around the corner.

Dumke
02/13/2012, 10:58 AM

...but 20 - 25 VX's cruising along together will make it seem like two minutes away.

For those that have not done Moab before.....

..even the paved road VX convoys will put a shiver in yer timbers.

I give it a :thumbup:

jo

Also I would love to do EH however with that many people we may not get it done in time. I remember first year I went had to cut it short. Buut that was my first and really unsure of what hold up was. I do know green river and colorado river confluence would be cool to see this year.

VXorado
02/13/2012, 11:25 AM
I'm leaning towards Top of the World so far, even if it does take awhile - Sue is right, I am NOT driving all the way to Utah only to come home without that picture! :D However I am a little scared that I might forget to drop her out of 1st when I let go of the clutch. I'm imagining Wile E. Coyote vanishing in a little puff of smoke way down below... :eek:

It's kind of a pain in the *** but yes you can. The plates fit so snug that tightening and loosening the bolts can be time consuming, but it can be done without anything other than an allen wrench.

It's definitely worth running Top of the World, I was just suggesting it may be better to go later in the week with a smaller group. It was difficult to get a picture on the "ledge" because there were so many VXs blocking the trail. I actually skipped the pic because we were at the ledge for a while and I was ready to head down. It was still fun though & i'm down for any trail... but I voted Fins and Things :)

If I had the skid plates, I would remove them before hitting the trails. Better safe than sorry and there are plenty of helping hands at the stoop.

vt_maverick
02/13/2012, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I will say that my preference will generally be guided by the quality of scenery rather than the characteristics of the trail. That's not to say I will tackle something very difficult just for pictures - I'm just saying I would prefer trails with better views given the same level of difficulty.

Sounds like Fins and Things with a run on Top of the World later in the week might be best for me. But I defer to you guys of course. :)

VX KAT
02/13/2012, 11:48 AM

And my skids were even a bigger PITA than Mav's for some reason. My shop had to do both, but the front was a bear. He had several vice-grips pinching the front closer to the cladding, and involved lots of pushing too.
But you're right, there's plenty of willing "helpers" that could get it back on so I'm not adverse to removing it.

Tomdietrying used to pop his off and on really easily, maybe that's who you're thinking of.

IDEA: We can get a smaller group together for TOTW for Wed or Thursday
EDIT>>>>>Great minds Mav...I didn't see your post moments before mine with same suggestion....

And come on...is there many pics better than this in life?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2330.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2313.JPG

UM....ROB (DUMKE)...YOU FORGOT TO GET IN YOUR VX......
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2301.JPG

THAT'S BETTER ROB...ER, UM CAPT MORGAN......
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2346.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2352.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_2348.JPG

Dumke
02/13/2012, 11:57 AM
You really had to post the one where I looked constipated? I was soo skeert hanging over the side because of the wind I just couldnt doo et.

I see your Captain and raise you another one :D
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSC_0743.JPG

And Jo's alternate view from atop his VX is awesome.

Weather was the craziest thing up there. It went from cold/cloudly, to rain to snow to sun in a matter of 20 minutes? IMO Best view out of all the trails I have been on so far

Triathlete
02/13/2012, 01:26 PM
As far as views...it is safe to say, pick any trail, stop anywhere on chosen trail, look in any direction you choose on said chosen trail and the scenery will be AWESOME!!!!!!

Ldub
02/13/2012, 04:52 PM
I love the pic of Greg strapp'n a jeep up outta the abyss @ TOTW...:laughing:

And Billy say no lie...everywhere ya look, it's like you're in a real life roadrunner cartoon...:yesgray:

VX crazy
02/13/2012, 07:38 PM
Billy, we should do rose garden hill up one day! Greg saidnimcould drive his while he gets pics!

Ldub
02/13/2012, 07:50 PM
saidnimcould

:_beer:.:thumbup:

VXorado
02/14/2012, 07:47 AM
Billy, we should do rose garden hill up one day! Greg saidnimcould drive his while he gets pics!

Going up the hill...that would be very challenging but I bet a locked VX could do it. I just remember one big rock ledge that Gizmo got his bumper hung up on. It would be fun to try. :)

pbkid
02/14/2012, 09:17 AM
jo
Ive actually never done elephant hill, i just know that it was Todd's favorite trail to lead and I thought it would both be a good ode to him as well as a great trail for the beginners.

Jack, I think for a group as large as the VX run, Elephant Hill would be a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg day.
Ya, I dont really have any reference for elephant hill, so if someone who has done it will chime in, we can then make an educated decision.

As far as views...it is safe to say, pick any trail, stop anywhere on chosen trail, look in any direction you choose on said chosen trail and the scenery will be AWESOME!!!!!!
Couldnt agree more Billy :thumbup:

Just about any of the trails that Jack suggested can be run, scratch free, in a stock VX. Just take your time.
That was kinda the idea with the trails that I mentioned, except maybe klondike bluffs. Its an amazing trail, but might be better run with a small group of guys and gals who dont mind a pin stripe or two.
Ill definately be running it this year, anyone who wants is welcome to join me.

Also if anyone knows how to get to said trails include that as well. In 2010 I do remember a certain person (not naming names)taking us to Posion Spider instead of Steel Bender.. HAHA man I cant wait, Moab is right around the corner.
Why do you have to drive over me with the bus all the time Burt? Always playing bus driver, arent you?
Ill be happy to let someone else lead if they like, i just thought i would help the group figure out which trail they would like to do....

I can try, but its hard to tell because it really depends on how 'gun shy' the new comers are.
Klondike bluffs- 22 miles from town, so its a drive to and from the trail, probably 8 hours round trip
Elephant hill- also about 70-ish miles from town each way, so it would definately be a long trip as well. probably like 10 hours, maybe not the best 'first day' for newcomers.
Gold bar rim- only about 2 miles from town on paved roads, probably around 5-7 hours for the whole trip, this may be the best pick for the group. Fairly easy trail with lots of optional stuff for the bigger guys to play on and the newcomers to watch, plus it has an amazing view to eat lunch at. The only downfall is that this trail has one obstacle that cannot be bypassed and you will make contact with your front lower cladding and rear gas tank skid. (see below for pics)
Fins and Things- only a couple miles from town, but requires everyone to buy a park pass to get to the trail head. The great thing about this trail is that everything on it is easily do-able with a VX, Sue, you can attest to the ease of this trail. The other great thing about this trail for a large group is that there are multiple spots that you can exit the trail if anyone is done for the day. Plus, like billy said, it gives you access to the park for a couple of days, so anyone who wants to run hells revenge, porcupine rim or just plainly see the park, now has access. Also, a very good option for a large group, including advanced or beginners. This trail can vary from 3-7 hours.
Top of the World- The great thing about this trail is that it has the best view i've seen in moab, plus we know that we can get 20+ VX's up it. The only downfall to this one is that it is a long trail, and it really doesnt have any difficult obstacles for the more advanced guys of the group. However, it is a good break in for first timers, and the more advanced guys of the group can always run rose garden afterward. (with a VERY small group this time, 33"+ tires ONLY)

Gold bar rim-
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P1010077.JPG

Triathlete
02/14/2012, 09:53 AM
I did Elephant Hill a few years back with BigSwede. We had 6 or so vehicles in the group and it was still an all day affair. I think we left town around 8ish and got back around 5 or 6. That was with a stop for lunch at hells kitchen, hiking the cracks and viewing the green/colorado river confluence...all must do's. With a large group I can see this trip going into darkness.

Triathlete
02/14/2012, 09:57 AM
And for those that don't know the photo above...
That is the one and only Tone on the waterfall on Gold Bar Rim in a stock Mercedes AMG with low profile street tires.

Dumke
02/14/2012, 10:03 AM
Why do you have to drive over me with the bus all the time Burt? Always playing bus driver, arent you?
Ill be happy to let someone else lead if they like, i just thought i would help the group figure out which trail they would like to do....

Awww I sorry.. I was mearly poking at you because its fun. I have been on several of your excursions and enjoyed each and every one of them. Lots of laughs and fun times and memories to be had by all. UGH now I must get out and see whats stuck under my bus tire one moment.....

Ok think I got it. Jack you do a good job sir :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Triathlete
02/14/2012, 10:04 AM
Going up the hill...that would be very challenging but I bet a locked VX could do it.

I would bet a non locked VX will make it up! :)

VXorado
02/14/2012, 10:19 AM

Sounds like a challenge Billy, too bad you won't be around this year.

VX KAT
02/14/2012, 09:25 PM
Gold bar rim- only about 2 miles from town on paved roads, probably around 5-7 hours for the whole trip, this may be the best pick for the group. Fairly easy trail with lots of optional stuff for the bigger guys to play on and the newcomers to watch, plus it has an amazing view to eat lunch at. The only downfall is that this trail has one obstacle that cannot be bypassed and you will make contact with your front lower cladding and rear gas tank skid. (see below for pics)

Gold bar rim-
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P1010077.JPG[/QUOTE]

Would bridging ladders work there ?
There's a variety of materials, strengths and prices for them:

BRIDGING LADDERS:

"During off road expeditions one occasionally comes across a ditch or washout that is too wide or deep to cross, or a vertical step that can't be negotiated. For these situations you need a ramp or bridging device that you can place across the gap and drive over. Some people (and even vendors) get confused between bridging ladders and sand ladders, and think they can use them interchangeably. Of course this is not the case, as a bridging ladder needs to be capable of supporting at least a quarter of the weight of the vehicle, while a sand ladder can be much more flexible and lighter (see below). Of course, you can use most bridging ladders as sand ladders if you wish, saving you from carrying both.
When it comes to choosing a set of bridging ladders, it does not pay to try skimp and cut corners. The Mantec are the best and strongest bridging ladders I've seen. They will accommodate the weight of a Range Rover with no problem.

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/offroadmisc/bridgingladderbp.jpghttp://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/offroadmisc/bridge2bp.JPGhttp://72.167.88.134/BPSite/landroverparts/offrd_pictures/bridgingLadderNew.jpg

Mantec Bridging Ladders (4-BRIDGYS) Aluminum alloy, 5 ft x 15.5", 20 lbs each, $450 pair :freek:
4mm high grade aluminium, and their strength folded into the designs of both products. Mantec Sand Tracks are tried and tested over years of use in the Sahara Desert. Standard dimensions are 60" x 18" weighing 20 lbs per pair. A stronger alternative to sandtracks/ladders.
Special mounting brackets for securing them to a roof rack are also available for $99 a set.

http://72.167.88.134/BPSite/landroverparts/BridgingLadder.html
http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/offroadmisc/ladders.html
http://mantec.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?theProductID=E79F939C-15C5-F4C0-99C6FC6100BEB80B#
http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/getimg.php?p=GMN040&q=pi

Fiberglass offroad "bridging" ladders:
2500kg = 5500 lbs.
3000kg = 6600 lbs.
Overland Journal didn't like them, fiberglass splintered off on first use, expect they'd fail.
http://www.tracmat.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=73
http://www.tracmat.com/

SAND LADDERS:

Pierced Aluminum plated SAND ladders (don't think you can use them for bridging): $250 - $350/pair (60"x16" or 48"x12")
http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-sandladders-aluminum.htm
http://www.okoffroad.com/gifs/stuff/sandladders-aluminum-60-1.jpg

HD pierced steel plating Expedition Sand Ladders, coated in bedliner..... only for traction, not bridging: ~$180/pair, (60"x16") weigh 25 lbs EACH
http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-sandladders.htm
http://www.okoffroad.com/gifs/stuff/sandladders-2.jpg

A GMC Forum thread where the different types are discussed:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=585445&postcount=1

vt_maverick
02/14/2012, 09:29 PM
Somebody who's not carrying their wife, two kids, and three weeks worth of stuff, please be sure to bring these along. :laughy:

Triathlete
02/14/2012, 09:34 PM
My front end never hits:rotate:

pbkid
02/15/2012, 03:35 AM
I did Elephant Hill a few years back with BigSwede. We had 6 or so vehicles in the group and it was still an all day affair. I think we left town around 8ish and got back around 5 or 6. That was with a stop for lunch at hells kitchen, hiking the cracks and viewing the green/colorado river confluence...all must do's. With a large group I can see this trip going into darkness.
sounds like its out of the question for the VX run.

Awww I sorry.. I was mearly poking at you because its fun. I have been on several of your excursions and enjoyed each and every one of them. Lots of laughs and fun times and memories to be had by all. UGH now I must get out and see whats stuck under my bus tire one moment.....

no harm no foul sir :)

I have VERY high doubts my Runner will make it up with 33's and a rear locker.

in fact, i would be very surprised if i could, and you know my confidence level billy :_beer:

My front end never hits:rotate:
haha BS... i saw it slam a good 10 times on steel bender last year.

VX KAT
02/17/2012, 08:33 AM
All kidding aside....(and money and space were no object)...would the Mantec BRIDGING ramps work on the Waterfall obstacle?

Or maybe even one of the SAND ladders would work for such a quick short distance?? (realizing much more of the weight will be bearing down when truck is nose down like this)

INPUT please....

tomdietrying
02/19/2012, 07:49 PM
Here is one of my favorite shots of Elephant Hill in 2007.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/503/medium/DSC00815.JPG

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
02/19/2012, 07:58 PM
All kidding aside....(and money and space were no object)...would the Mantec BRIDGING ramps work on the Waterfall obstacle?

Or maybe even one of the SAND ladders would work for such a quick short distance?? (realizing much more of the weight will be bearing down when truck is nose down like this)

INPUT please....

One way to find out...:smilewink

VX KAT
02/19/2012, 08:22 PM
One way to find out...:smilewink

ahhh..a volunteer! excellent!!!:naughty:

Ldub
02/19/2012, 08:34 PM
ahhh..a volunteer! excellent!!!:naughty:

You bring em', I'll crunch test em' for you...:yesgray:

vt_maverick
02/19/2012, 08:40 PM
If you bring 'em and they save me from some damage I'll gladly make a donation. :)

VX KAT
02/19/2012, 08:47 PM
You bring em', I'll crunch test em' for you...:yesgray:

If you bring 'em and they save me from some damage I'll gladly make a donation. :)

Hmmmmmm.....tempting......anybody think we could get by with any of the SAND ladders?
I've got to see if I can find out the weight limits on those two sand ladders.....(yes, I know they're not supposed to be used for bridging)....

VX KAT
02/21/2012, 10:06 AM
Anybody know if this is the exact same obstacle on Gold Bar Rim???

Gold bar rim-
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P1010077.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Gold_Bar_Rim_05-20-11_541.JPG

Triathlete
02/21/2012, 11:28 AM
Yes it is the wall on GBR.

VX KAT
02/21/2012, 12:28 PM
Yes it is the wall on GBR.

BTW....any of you other NEW VXers or those that haven't done GOLD BAR RIM looked at the description in the Wells trail book? (see page 86) .....:freek::freek::freek:

I know Wells always makes them sound harder than they are (as both Hell's Revenge and Fins&Things are both also rated as Difficult, and all stock VXs can do them).....but ledges .:thumbdn:...I'm going to pass on this one, I hate ledges....:o

DIFFICULTY: Difficult. Many difficult ledges, especially at the top. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance, lockers, large tires and good articulation.

FEATURES: Popular hardcore trail with great view at top. Often driven downhill as a continuation of Golden Spike.

...drop down very large ledge at 2.3 miles

...more difficult ledges to follow.

...big ledge on right at 3.7 miles

I was looking thru last year's pics....HOW ABOUT DOING 7 MILE RIM for the Tuesday/VX run? It has such absolute spectacular scenery & viewsl Rated as "Difficult", 12.5 mile loop, 3 - 4 hrs -but double that, so 8 hrs, has bypasses on difficult ledges, has Wipe Out Hill for the harder core gang and others can bypass it. I made it last year, basically unscathed and a few stock VXs also made it OK last year.
See page 59 in Wells book.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7569.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7611.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7629.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7666.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7704.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7681.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7717.jpg

Scott Harness
02/21/2012, 02:17 PM
I really enjoyed 7 Mile Rim last year:yesb:

mcaramb
02/22/2012, 06:49 AM
Ok,

Total off road virgin here. I live in louisiana. Not a lot of mountains here. I have however, done some pretty crazy stuff with my VX through swamps, hills, etc. My poor VX has been sitting up with a blown engine for a few months, yet I finally saved enough to get the engine replaced (again).

I've been to Moab before for ATVing, climbing, hiking, and it's gorgeous. I would like to attend this Moab event and drive up there, possibly with my two kids (3 & 10).

Where do I go for more info and is this generally a family friendly event? And my VX is pretty much stock, including the wheels. Do I need anything special for the moderate trails? What do I bring? etc...

Thanks,

Really looks awesome

-Mike

Ldub
02/22/2012, 06:54 AM
Ok,

Total off road virgin here. I live in louisiana. Not a lot of mountains here. I have however, done some pretty crazy stuff with my VX through swamps, hills, etc. My poor VX has been sitting up with a blown engine for a few months, yet I finally saved enough to get the engine replaced (again).

I've been to Moab before for ATVing, climbing, hiking, and it's gorgeous. I would like to attend this Moab event and drive up there, possibly with my two kids (3 & 10).

Where do I go for more info and is this generally a family friendly event? And my VX is pretty much stock, including the wheels. Do I need anything special for the moderate trails? What do I bring? etc...

Thanks,

Really looks awesome

-Mike

Start reading friend...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18263&highlight=moab+2012

After wading through the "musical opinions" part, it gets more interesting...:smilewink

vt_maverick
02/22/2012, 06:59 AM
I would like to attend this Moab event and drive up there, possibly with my two kids (3 & 10).

Where do I go for more info and is this generally a family friendly event?
It better be - I'm planning to bring my 3 year old and baby along. :) Maybe our 3 year olds could keep each other company?

VX crazy
02/22/2012, 10:38 AM
Ok,

Thanks,

Really looks awesome

-Mike

Re: 'family event'.....of course as long as you can tolerate your 3 yr old on an all day trail during the day in your vx. Nightly activity at the stoop can be somewhat R rated, heck actually X rated. But I doubt you will have a 3 yr old up that late! LOL

vt_maverick
02/22/2012, 10:50 AM
Re: 'family event'.....of course as long as you can tolerate your 3 yr old on an all day trail during the day in your vx. Nightly activity at the stoop can be somewhat R rated, heck actually X rated. But I doubt you will have a 3 yr old up that late! LOL

How often do you guys stop on these all day trails?

VX KAT
02/22/2012, 11:06 AM
Re: 'family event'.....of course as long as you can tolerate your 3 yr old on an all day trail during the day in your vx. Nightly activity at the stoop can be somewhat R rated, heck actually X rated. LOL

Only if you're there....:p

BigSwede
02/22/2012, 11:07 AM
Elephant Hill is awesome, but last time you guys did it in a large group you were only able to do the main loop in time. It is a crime to go there without hiking the Joint trail and/or Confluence overlook.

I like Gold Bar Rim a lot, but the prospect of getting 20+ vehicles down and back up that big wall in less than 8 hours is daunting.

Top of the World would be nice if it isn't snowing like last time...

Fins 'n Things is a good overall choice, and intro to Moab wheeling for the noobs.

VX KAT
02/22/2012, 11:17 AM
How often do you guys stop on these all day trails?

Ash- it varies of course according to the trail, but when there's an "obstacle" of any significance, everything slows/stops, spotters hop out and help everybody get over it.
With the CB radios, someone will often ask "when" next stop is.....so it's not really a problem.

Plus we always stop for lunch somewhere, so bring a bag lunch for your gang....and lots of water.

p.s. - The trail rules are girls on the right, guys on the left.:wave:

VX KAT
02/22/2012, 11:18 AM
Elephant Hill is awesome, but last time you guys did it in a large group you were only able to do the main loop in time. It is a crime to go there without hiking the Joint trail and/or Confluence overlook.

I like Gold Bar Rim a lot, but the prospect of getting 20+ vehicles down and back up that big wall in less than 8 hours is daunting.

Top of the World would be nice if it isn't snowing like last time...

Fins 'n Things is a good overall choice, and intro to Moab wheeling for the noobs.

What do you think of doing 7 Mile Rim?

BigSwede
02/22/2012, 11:51 AM
.....but ledges .:thumbdn:...I'm going to pass on this one, I hate ledges....:o

Hey Sue, might wanna make a mental note to avoid Steelbender...

BigSwede
02/22/2012, 11:54 AM
7 Mile Rim is decent, if a bit easy for the leader to get lost on (I'll say no more...).

pbkid
02/22/2012, 02:34 PM
Sue, those pictures are not taken on the same 'wall'...

I did gold bar my first year and the only place I hit was on the wall where the ml is pictured, and I was bone stock with bald tires... Just fyi.

Either way doesnt matter much to me, theres a likelihood that I wont even be the for the group run

VXorado
02/22/2012, 03:26 PM
Either way doesnt matter much to me, theres a likelihood that I wont even be the for the group run

Are you getting to Moab late or planning a different run?

pbkid
02/24/2012, 03:35 PM
Are you getting to Moab late or planning a different run?
just getting there late, probably thurs night or friday night, depending on when i can get off work.

VXorado
02/24/2012, 08:14 PM
This thread really illustrates how many good choices we have... and so little time to enjoy them.

just getting there late, probably thurs night or friday night, depending on when i can get off work.

Boo. Its alright, we'll start planning a CO pre-run soon.

We should get together in a couple weeks and discuss this...:)

pbkid
02/25/2012, 09:40 AM
Boo. Its alright, we'll start planning a CO pre-run soon.

We should get together in a couple weeks and discuss this...:)
agreed, there definately isnt enough snow up there to stop us :)
Plus i wanna see how those 35's perform on the VX.
maybe the weekend of the 10th?

VX KAT
02/25/2012, 10:31 AM
Anybody recall/know which trail this is on?
....probably kinda obvious why I want to know....:rollo:
Ash, and other noobs coming to Moab...take note! :eek:....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2469.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2471.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2473.JPG

Triathlete
02/25/2012, 11:56 AM
Fins?

Sue, your going to have everyone scared before they even get there! It's not that bad.

VX KAT
02/25/2012, 12:15 PM
Fins?

Sue, your going to have everyone scared before they even get there! It's not that bad.

Those rocks tell a different story :eek:.....:p.....just kiddin'.....
If it's Fins & Things, it' STILL a great first trail. This pic is from either Fins or Hell's Revenge.

Since I have my "sacrificial" 18" Superbumper now, which sticks out about 12" from the rear cladding (specifically to save my tail end!), I'm reviewing/evaluating my old pics so I know what I can expect, etc...

I'm sure those scrapes were made by longer wheelbase trucks like Jay's FJ or my Hubby's FJ here, prolly the trailer hitch does a lot of that. I recall hubby's scraped it good! and IIRC you do a real good face plant into that sand at the bottom and ya have to kinda power out of it:?:...am I recalling it right?.

VXorado
02/25/2012, 12:45 PM
agreed, there definately isnt enough snow up there to stop us :)
Plus i wanna see how those 35's perform on the VX.
maybe the weekend of the 10th?

I work that weekend... :(

Soon though.

MSHardeman
02/25/2012, 02:34 PM
Sue, I think that is Fins and Things. It is a pretty good first trail. Good pucker factor and shows off the capabilities of the VX well. It starts out easy enough, unlike Hell's Revenge, so new drivers can gain confidence.

Triathlete
02/25/2012, 03:46 PM
Hells Revenge is no harder as long as you stay off the optional stuff (no fun).

JoFotoz
02/26/2012, 01:08 PM
Even though I voted for elephant Hill....

..I am now leaning towards Fins & Things.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/INTO_THE_LIGHT_.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22034)
.......................................FINS & THINGS.........................................
Its easily do-able for non modified vehicles.
Has a couple of 'pucker' points....:eek:
And some optional Gnarly stuff...for some spectator fun.

Plus...its close.

Just my 2 cents..

jo

tjh
02/26/2012, 01:57 PM
I voted for Gold Bar Rim .
I'm also leaning towards Fins & Things for the same reasons that Joe posted.

Ldub
02/26/2012, 03:03 PM

Plus...its close.

Just my 2 cents..

jo

Get'n back to the stoop for happy hour IS a factor...:yesgray:

Speshully after the first trail of the week...:_beer:

VX KAT
02/26/2012, 06:04 PM
Get'n back to the stoop for happy hour IS a factor...:yesgray:

Speshully after the first trail of the week...:_beer:

Sounds like it's time to print the UNofficial schedule of activities for 2012:

2012 Let's DO IT!!!

Little of this.....:bla:

Lots of this.... :_group2:

Little of this... :_steering

Little of this, er um, a lot of this...:_beer:

Hopefully not too much of this...:_wrench: :smack: or this....;puke2;

Little more of this..:_steering

Maybe some of this...:driver:

Some more of this...:_beer: :yeso:

None of this.....:argue:

Some of this....:slap:

Oh my, maybe even this....:dan_ban: :naughty:

And lots and lots of this......:laugho:

And hopefully, some of this....:snooz:

Ldub
02/26/2012, 06:25 PM
Sounds like it's time to print the UNofficial schedule of activities for 2012:

2012 Let's DO IT!!!

Little of this.....:bla:

Lots of this.... :_group2:

Little of this... :_steering

Little of this, er um, a lot of this...:_beer:

Hopefully not too much of this...:_wrench: :smack: or this....;puke2;

Little more of this..:_steering

Maybe some of this...:driver:

Some more of this...:_beer: :yeso:

None of this.....:argue:

Some of this....:slap:

Oh my, maybe even this....:dan_ban: :naughty:

And lots and lots of this......:laugho:

And hopefully, some of this....:snooz:

I'm in...:dance:.:dan_ban:.:dance:

pbkid
02/27/2012, 09:02 AM
I'm sure those scrapes were made by longer wheelbase trucks like Jay's FJ or my Hubby's FJ here, prolly the trailer hitch does a lot of that. I recall hubby's scraped it good! and IIRC you do a real good face plant into that sand at the bottom and ya have to kinda power out of it:?:...am I recalling it right?.
definately looks like fins to me Sue. Those scrapes are from long wheel base vehicles like hummers, 4runners, troopers, maybe an FJ. Those types of scrapes usually come from trailer hitces.

I voted for Gold Bar Rim .
I'm also leaning towards Fins & Things for the same reasons that Joe posted.
Sounds like the group is feeling fins and things. If by some chance of god i can make it im excited...if not, ill see you guys just after you break the newbs in :naughty:

JoFotoz
04/17/2012, 07:31 PM
SO.....

Fins & Things....

....if I read this thread right, that seems like a consensus.

Its a great "starter" trail..close, fun, and VERY doable by ALL.

And some (:dance:) might decide to do the gnarly stuff...

...just cause!

I wish it was May 12th already...

If all goes well..I will be SINGLE (:thumbup:)..and have a birthday again...

...thats the best way to start a new phase of life.

:LineWave:

Jo

Triathlete
04/17/2012, 08:20 PM
Don't forget to hit up Baby Lion Back on the way out (and if you really want to play Potato Salad Hill is on the way out also)!

Baby Lions Back
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09%20Moab/09Moabday1194.jpg

Potato Salad Hill
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09%20moab%20day%205/09Moabday5038.jpg

pbkid
04/17/2012, 08:25 PM
have fun guys!!! wish i could be there with ya! see ya at the end of the week.

Ill just have to make up for it next year ;)

Triathlete
04/17/2012, 08:27 PM
have fun guys!!! wish i could be there with ya!

Ill just have to make up for it next year ;)

x2
At least you get to be there some this year Jack!:(

pbkid
04/17/2012, 08:28 PM
x2
At least you get to be there some this year Jack!:(

cmon old man!! your retired! whats stoppin you?!?!

JoFotoz
04/17/2012, 08:56 PM
Umm...

Don't forget to hit up Baby Lion Back on the way out

...thats on the way in...at least the way in I go.

Its a great intro..!!

Jo

Triathlete
04/17/2012, 09:03 PM
cmon old man!! your retired! whats stoppin you?!?!

Uncle Sam (the tax man taketh away) and racing.

Ldub
04/17/2012, 09:22 PM
Umm...

...thats on the way in...at least the way in I go.

Its a great intro..!!

Jo

That "first time pucker" of look'n over yer shoulder on the way up, isn't something you forget soon...:yes:

nocturnalVX
04/18/2012, 04:02 PM
I think F&T is a great pick. Looking forward to doing it again, and REALLY looking forward to seeing everybody! :yesy:

Ldub
04/18/2012, 07:40 PM
Even though I voted for elephant Hill....

..I am now leaning towards Fins & Things.

.......................................FINS & THINGS.........................................

Plus...its close.

Just my 2 cents..

jo

SO.....

Fins & Things....

....if I read this thread right, that seems like a consensus.

Its a great "starter" trail..close, fun, and VERY doable by ALL.

And some (:dance:) might decide to do the gnarly stuff...

...just cause!

I wish it was May 12th already...

If all goes well..I will be SINGLE (:thumbup:)..and have a birthday again...

...thats the best way to start a new phase of life.

:LineWave:

Jo

WOOT...:thumbup:

I think F&T is a great pick. Looking forward to doing it again, and REALLY looking forward to seeing everybody! :yesy:

X-2 Gentlemen...I just cast my vote.