PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control light stays on

Bantan
10/07/2003, 11:47 AM
This is the green light that says "Cruise Main" in the dash, it goes on once the key is in the ignition and stays on the entire time of my journey. I checked the button its not depressed. I hope not to have to take a day off from work to to visit the dealer for this.

Any idea why or how to remedy this problem:confused:
Might be a sign to not have such a heavy foot;)

Amack76
10/07/2003, 11:55 AM
mercer, if you wanna take a ride to JC we can take my button out and try it in you vx to see if its just a malfunctioning button. let me know i am free after 6.

Bantan
10/07/2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Amack76
mercer, if you wanna take a ride to JC we can take my button out and try it in you vx to see if its just a malfunctioning button. let me know i am free after 6.

Thanks Bro,
I work tonight & tomorrow until midnight, so if by Thursday I don't have it figured out I might have to take you up on your offer

Amack76
10/07/2003, 01:51 PM
lemme know

WyrreJ
10/07/2003, 02:34 PM
With the light stuck on, does cruise control actually work? Can you just hit the set function on the stalk and cruise will start doing its thing?

deldorado
10/09/2003, 07:29 AM
I had the same problem a few months back, I just took it to the dealership, they told me it was a problem with the fuss/light and it was fixed under warrenty - no problem.

Bantan
10/09/2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
With the light stuck on, does cruise control actually work? Can you just hit the set function on the stalk and cruise will start doing its thing?
It does still work.

Bantan
10/09/2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by deldorado
I had the same problem a few months back, I just took it to the dealership, they told me it was a problem with the fuss/light and it was fixed under warrenty - no problem.

It s a pain to take it to the dealer as they are not local, got to make an appointment weeks in advance and take a day off from work, was trying to rectify the problem myself.

WyrreJ
10/09/2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Bantan
It does still work.

So it seems to be stuck in "on" mode which kind of suggests that it is either the switch that is broke, or a short in the wires to the switch. I'd try disconnecting the switch and see what happens.

JGeorge264
07/14/2005, 11:24 PM
I know this is an old post but I was wondering what the verdict ended up being? I have that same issue with my 99. We put in a new switch and the light still stayed on. The warranty is long gone as I have a bit over a 100,000 k on it. Everything still works but I'm getting tired of looking at that dang light. Would appreciate any info you might have.
thanks,
Jody

Raque Thomas
07/15/2005, 04:27 AM
I have an extra cruise control main switch if you guys want to try that first. Send me your address, and I'll mail it to you.

JGeorge264
07/15/2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks Raque. I appreciate the offer. (you people here are sure nice!) However, we've already tried putting in a new switch so I'm assuming it must be a wiring issue. Once in awhile the light will go off for a bit, then comes on a bit later. I've asked my hubby to check it out but he's only gotten as far as replacing the switch... he doesn't drive my vx so the light doesn't bother him. lol

I think he did also check the fuse too. I was hoping someone out there with a whole lot more know how than I would tell me, oh yeah, no prob, easy fix.. (so I'm a dreamer..) :)
Anyway, thanks again for the offer. That was way cool of you!

Ldub
07/15/2005, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah, no prob., easy fix...2" of electricians tape over offending indicator light & you're done! :p
Once again, ND farmboy engineering at it's finest!!!
Sorry JGeorge, I couldn't stop my "evil" typing finger. ;)
Good luck, Ldub

JGeorge264
07/16/2005, 07:49 PM
LOL, thanks LDub,

Don't know why I didn't think of that. I was raised on a ranch where if ya couldn't fix it with electricians tape, duct tape, or barbed wire then it couldn't be fixed. Right now the pretty green light goes well with the pretty orange ABS light. Guess I'll need two pieces of tape!

Ldub
07/16/2005, 10:34 PM
Gidder done!!!

VX KAT
03/04/2013, 11:45 AM
The first place I'd look would in an area known to cause other electrical gremlins...where the wire bundle passes through the front bulkhead on the drivers side of the radiator.

Just a WAG...:_confused, but it's been a known cause of problems for Anita & others in the past.

:luck:.:thumbup:

Check the ground on your trailer wiring harness. I had all kinds of gremilins when I had a bad ground there.

Hmmm…green "Cruise Main" light has been on for a few weeks…and I just had it wired for the trailer (a 4 pin)….coincidence? hmmm…...

This thread describes same problem but doesn't ever say specifically what was causing it or fix. Anybody know?

Guess I'll have Mr. Mechanic check into it.