PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze leak

molivares
02/10/2012, 06:58 AM
Hi all well I think I my have been duped, I purchased a 2001 VX two days ago everything looked good and today I see antifreeze leaking.. My wife works for a chev dealer and they smelled the antifreeze and said they will do a pressure test today.. I'm really pissed at the guy who sold it to me for not disclosing the info after I asked him a bunch of times...

I might sue his *** if its a head gasket or block issue., ok i vented thanks for reading...

So whats the chance its a head gasket or block issue the leaks is coming from the passagner side closer to the center.. seems like a small stream but getting worse. Also what would I be looking at to do a HG job ? I didn't see any overheating or white smoke car drives good no slow down or speed issues.. just antifreeze leak.. any suggestion and estimate would be helpful.

VX KAT
02/10/2012, 07:06 AM
there's been a few owners have this in the past 18 months or so, do a search on antifreeze, I think you'll find them since that word isn't used too much otherwise.
They talk about repairs too, so you'll get some info on that too.

newthings
02/10/2012, 07:50 AM
Under the intake in the front you have a small metal tube with o ring seal. A leak will be seen on the front of the engine.
Roy

yellowgizmo99
02/10/2012, 12:52 PM
just finished doing those on my '99, the o-rings fell apart when I tried to take off the hard line, had slow leak though, replaced knock sensor too while I was there. Hope this will clear engine light codes at last.

Y33TREKker
02/10/2012, 02:21 PM
Well hopefully it will be nothing too serious (like the o-ring issues described), but better to wait till the verdict is in before getting too upset.

Same goes for the possibility that the previous owner knew about the issue and didn't disclose. If that's the case, if you have emails or such proving those questions were asked and answered, you may have legal recourse. If not, you may be able to take some comfort in the belief that karma's a bizzatch. :bwgy:

If I could suggest some sort of benefit of the doubt regarding buying a used vehicle in Florida I would, but sadly, my own experiences in trying to do so have left me with a big fat 0-for-1 goose egg in that department.

Gussie2000
02/10/2012, 03:20 PM
If is a head gasket leak is not that easy to get notice of it 'till you see the reservoir empty after being filled.

Now if the leak is from a line or so then your odds are much less $$$$$.

My VX develope a slow head gasket leak due to my own careless behavior when i didn't properly tight the radiator cap and the engine block overheated.

I am gonna rebuilt the entire engine depending on the cost other wise i'll gonna use it as a down payment for a trailblazer SS

molivares
02/11/2012, 06:32 AM
So I had the VX checked out and it was a 3 inch crack on the radiator.. :bwgy: so i went out and purchased a rad from advance auto... are there rads ok or do I need OEM also the VX is supercharge will the oem do.. so can someone point me in the right direction on how to change out rad or where to get a repair manual.. its a good day..

yellowgizmo99
02/11/2012, 08:32 AM
Take fan shroud off, then remove the hoses and there are two small lines at bottom, then a hold down clamp at top on passenger side with two bolts, pull it out and drop new one in and replace hoses. Easy job to do. Don't know about Advance rads.