PDA

View Full Version : most sought after vx?

frakkin toaster
02/06/2012, 11:12 PM
hey guys...new here

im looking to buy a vx and was wondering what year, model/options etc were the most prized. also, what to avoid, if any...

thx

circmand
02/07/2012, 05:13 AM
Except for the 1 pearl white VX the only thing that makes one VX prized over another is personal preference. The 99's had 16 inch rims while the 00 & 01s had 18's. There was some talk of the 99s being more prone to engine failure but I do not think anything was ever conclusive. So while the Proton VX's are by far the best looking just find a good one based on what you like.

JAMAS
02/07/2012, 05:30 AM
Temperature controls are different in the 2001 as well

Paul_A
02/07/2012, 05:38 AM
I guess if you go for a JDM you might pick up one in a color that was never available in the states (I have a blue one ... heh heh). Engine one the jdm's is a little smaller (3.2) and you get the option of being able to use 2wd as standard (a GOOD gas saver)... oh.. and a rear view camera and stereo with screen. Also you might get a few funky little extras on a jdm. Only let down on the jdm's is there wasn't a leather option :( All those I've seen are cloth interior.

WormGod
02/07/2012, 06:33 AM
Most sought after? Well, MINE, of course. It can be yours for $20k USD. Cold cash.

Gussie2000
02/07/2012, 06:54 AM
Astral silver is the most popular color also the "fastest" color of all,if you don't believe me just see the VX TV add back in 99. LOL

TheGanzman
02/07/2012, 06:58 AM
All kidding aside - one of the GREATEST things about owning a Proton VX is that when you walk out of the shopping mall, the SECOND you hit the parking lot - THERE's your vehicle!:bgwo:

Now if I could JUST remember which STORE and which DOOR I came IN through...:(

VXorado
02/07/2012, 07:12 AM
If you're plan is to stay stock, go with an 00 or 01 because of the 18" rims. They look great.

All kidding aside - one of the GREATEST things about owning a Proton VX is that when you walk out of the shopping mall, the SECOND you hit the parking lot - THERE's your vehicle!:bgwo:

A 5" lift and bigger tires will give you the same effect :).

Cris
02/07/2012, 08:34 AM
I have to agree with Gussie 2000

tom4bren
02/07/2012, 08:49 AM
frakkin,

Maybe check this guy out. Members who have bought from him have been very pleased.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21237

Tom

Kona-Vs
02/07/2012, 10:40 AM
I'd say go fore lowest mileage and best condition rather than year and color. Its much easier to maintain a nice VX than it is to fix it. :yeso::yesb::yesgray:

vt_maverick
02/07/2012, 10:42 AM
IMHO the most sought after would be the LTD 175 editions that were only sold in Japan. They were produced in a number of awesome colors, many of which were produced in the single digits. Check out this link for production details: Vehicross Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_VehiCROSS)

For the US market the Foxfire Red Mica and Dragon Green Mica were the rarest colors, with 210 and 230 produced respectively. (Except the Pearl White VX circmand mentions above, but that was a special order not a production color.) And then there are the 5-speed variants, of which only 7 are known to have existed. Two are owned by members here (etfren and myself :)) and five were built as race trucks. To my knowledge no one knows what happened to those five.

Here is a sampling of the JDM specialty colors:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_2.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3283/JDM_Premium_Color_25_Brochure_Page_3.jpg

Riff Raff
02/07/2012, 12:49 PM
The best way to determine the "most sought after" VX, is to pick a 2001 model in YOUR favorite color!!! For example, the most popular color of the VX is the Proton Yellow (that we know as a fact). However; if YOU don't particularly like the color of yellow, then it won't be the most sought after according to YOUR own tastes. My best advice is to use this critieria shopping for a VX:

1. Pick only one(1) favorite color of your choice (whatever that is), and do not waver in your search until you find the perfect one in that color.

2. Focus on only getting a 2001 model. It's the last year of production, and Isuzu had most of the bug's worked-out by then. The 2001 model has always shown to have the least problems with gremlins. Plus, the 2001 has 18x7" rims and electronic push-button HVAC controls (only the 1999 model had 16x7" rims and sliding analog HVAC controls). Further; if you do like yellow, then Proton Yellow is only available on the 2000 & 2001 models.

3. Try to find a low mileage specimen if possible. I'd say under 80K mileage would be a safe bet. Obviously, the lower mileage the better.

:luck:

vt_maverick
02/07/2012, 01:13 PM
Fact lol... those are some pretty self-promoting facts if you ask me. Most popular by what metric? Average sales price comparison against other colors for sale on the used market? Number of days on AutoTrader before sale as compared to other colors? Don't believe any real study has ever been done for either. And 2001 models "always" shown to have least problems? I'll give you that some problems were supposedly corrected by 2001 (e.g. oil consumption) but that's debatable. What isn't debatable is that your 2001-specific AC compressor will cost you a fortune to replace when it goes out.

You are now in a no-spin zone. ;)

Riff Raff
02/07/2012, 01:26 PM
LOL; regardless, I still stand by my statement. Further, what I find more interesting is that "Frakkin Toaster" deliberately chose a PROTON "Avatar" for his membership logo picture. So perhaps he already has a hankering for the PROTON's. Neener, neener, neener. Here's a PROTON dancin' banana for 'ya VT!!! Enjoy.

:dan_ban:

frakkin toaster
02/08/2012, 08:49 AM
thx a lot guys for the responses...it is a really big help. i may import if i cant find one locally. ive done that before & it was a long scary process. i have to really make sure my wife will be able to handle rhd...she has driven my supra a couple time in a parking lot but its not the same as in traffic. i dont let here drive it cause it sits way too low.

incase you missed it, here is my post in the noob section...

hello, im robert. i live near cresson, sw of the dfw area. joined up to learn more about these & to access the for sale section. started looking for a vx this month for my wife. ive always wanted one. looking to get either yellow, gray or silver in great shape. need to stay away from black or red...dont want to spend most of my time cleaning it :p also non-smoking is a must!

dont know much about them so any tips in what to look for would be great. i would like to buy local if possible, but have bought 2 cars off ebay. so as long as the seller is trusted & shipping is fair, i have no probs.

as for my other rides...

93 jdm mkiv surpa ht
00 ws6 t/a
05 swb x-runner
05 ninja 636

vt_maverick
02/08/2012, 09:00 PM
...looking to get either yellow, gray or silver in great shape...

Well there you go, sorry I missed that earlier! Based on that criteria here are my suggestions:

If you go the JDM route, here are the names, paint codes, and production counts for two Japanese models matching your preferred colors. Color code 718 in the brochure I posted previously is called Astral Silver, and it's the same as the silver produced for 1999 only in the US. That color was far and away the most widely produced, with nearly 2000 sold in the US and Japan. These are the more rare, JDM only options:

Golden Yellow Mica - Paint Code 892 - 63 produced
Lava Grey Metallic - Paint Code 867 - 7 produced

If you go the US route, here are the names, paint codes, and production counts for the US models matching your preferred colors. If you decide you do want Astral Silver you'll have to go with a 1999 since that was the only year it was sold in the US. The other colors were only available in 2000 and 2001, with the fewest of each color being produced in 2000. If you absolutely have to have the last year of production choose a 2001 - otherwise I would recommend a high VIN-sequence 2000 model since it should have the same oil consumption "fix" as the 2001 models with a cheaper AC compressor.

Kaiser Silver Metallic - Paint Code 878 - 2000: 192 produced, 2001: 352 produced, Total: 544

Black/Red Interior - 2000: 57 produced, 2001: 101 produced, Total: 158
Black/Grey Interior - 2000: 135 produced, 2001: 251 produced, Total: 386

Proton Yellow - Paint Code 804 - 2000: 111 produced, 2001: 368 produced

Pics for comparison, first Golden Yellow Mica (JDM) vs. Proton Yellow (USDM):

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/2010shiga1/5.JPG http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/17D01238.jpg

Now Astral Silver vs. Kaiser Silver vs. Lava Gray Metallic:

http://liquidproduction.net/vx/CIMG2162.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0877.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX-Ltd-6.jpg

engfant
02/10/2012, 11:00 AM
2001 black on black/grey is the bestest to get. Only 300 made I believe in that combo.

frakkin toaster
02/10/2012, 11:28 AM
^ sounds like you have one of those rare combos.

thx mavrick for all the jdm info...they sure had a lot of cool colors in japan. those blues & greens are intriguing.

btw, been seeing the "iron man" editions on the forum...guessing those are pretty rare too. is there anything special other that the badges?

VX KAT
02/10/2012, 12:11 PM

thx mavrick for all the jdm info...they sure had a lot of cool colors in japan. those blues & greens are intriguing.

btw, been seeing the "iron man" editions on the forum...guessing those are pretty rare too. is there anything special other that the badges?

Ironman edition isn't all that rare. MotorTrend said 20% were Ironman editions, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.
The production chart says 602 total "Ironman White" were produced, don't know if they're all Ironman editions though.

It came with the OEM roof rack standard (others could add it as an option).

The floor mats had the IronMan logo
The Recaro seats had "Ironman" embossed on them.
Some external graphics and badges (actually like vinyl stickers) on the rear gate.

Ironman graphic across hood insert

VX KAT
02/10/2012, 12:12 PM
2001 black on black/grey is the bestest to get. Only 300 made I believe in that combo.

226 to be exact for 2001 ;)
364 total produced

samneil2000
02/10/2012, 12:39 PM

Yep, sweet iron man floor mats. :bgwb:

engfant
02/10/2012, 12:52 PM
226 to be exact for 2001 ;)
364 total produced

I want my truck back! It was mint I tell ye...actually the windows were getting sluggish, the climate control would work when it wanted to and the door locks were limp.

I'm sure there are fixes for all now.

engfant
02/10/2012, 01:21 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/vehicross8.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21981)

Long live the 2001 Ebony!

VXR
02/11/2012, 12:53 AM
Long live the Ebony!

:LineWave:

RickOKC
02/11/2012, 02:25 PM
i may import if i cant find one locally. Just remember, an imported VX in one of the "unique" colors will be a JDM model (steering wheel on the right side instead of the left.) Unless you're a mailman, it will take a little getting used to. ;)

One item that hasn't been mentioned - the 2001 models have an AC Compressor with completely unique connections. That shouldn't be a deal-breaker since a good AC shop should be able to make a unit from a 1999-2000 fit (an OEM model will be pricey.) Just something to keep in mind if the compressor is DOA on the VX you buy.

VXorado
02/11/2012, 03:11 PM
Just remember, an imported VX in one of the "unique" colors will be a JDM model (steering wheel on the right side instead of the left.) Unless you're a mailman, it will take a little getting used to. ;)

And you would strange looking fabric recaro seats and the 3.2L engine rather than the 3.5L. On the plus side you would get a built in backup camera system, more unique looking steering wheel (U.S. VXs have the Rodeo steering wheel), and a transfer case with 2WD.

...Still probably not worth the hassle to import a VX when they're readily available in the U.S.

vt_maverick
02/11/2012, 05:49 PM
Just remember, an imported VX in one of the "unique" colors will be a JDM model (steering wheel on the right side instead of the left.) Unless you're a mailman, it will take a little getting used to. ;)

One item that hasn't been mentioned - the 2001 models have an AC Compressor with completely unique connections. That shouldn't be a deal-breaker since a good AC shop should be able to make a unit from a 1999-2000 fit (an OEM model will be pricey.) Just something to keep in mind if the compressor is DOA on the VX you buy.

Link regarding AC compressor...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15129

frakkin toaster
02/11/2012, 10:38 PM
Just remember, an imported VX in one of the "unique" colors will be a JDM model (steering wheel on the right side instead of the left.) Unless you're a mailman, it will take a little getting used to. ;)...
i think i got that covered...

...here are some pics of my supra. its a standard too ;)

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/M3CHK1LLA/img6112b.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad319/M3CHK1LLA/DSCF5201.jpg

BeeVenom
02/14/2012, 04:53 PM
I understood there were some 'oiling' issues with early '99 models where motors had to be replaced, but who knows the actual story? About preference, I prefer 'protons' but I'm a little biased. :p
IMHO, Yello's the way to go! Hee, Hee!

samneil2000
02/14/2012, 07:31 PM
i think i got that covered...

...here are some pics of my supra. its a standard too ;)

Drool!!!

frakkin toaster
02/21/2012, 10:45 PM
well i thought i had a line on a local proton but the guy doesnt want to sell it...

...just sittin in his yard broke down.

Riff Raff
02/22/2012, 01:52 AM
well i thought i had a line on a local proton but the guy doesnt want to sell it...

...just sittin in his yard broke down.

Point the guy to us here at VX.Info. Maybe we can help solve his broke down issues.

:bgwb:

VEHISIC
02/24/2012, 01:03 PM
ooooooooooor a 99 IRONMAN with only 85,000 miles :P