PDA

View Full Version : Car & Driver April 1999 Vehicross Test

bumblebee
02/05/2012, 08:55 AM
My husband was going through some of his old Car & Driver magazines today and found an article on the 1999 Vehicross.

The title of the article is:
"Isuzu VehiCross: The ultimate expression of off-road rage." by Frank Markus

Some of the highlights of the article from Mr. Markus:

"I drove the VehiCross at its introduction on the Big Island of Hawaii and I've driven it in a foot of snow in Michigan. It still like this sport-ute very much - for its gutsy power-train, its terrific driver ergonomics (you can't beat the snug felling of its Recaro front seats), and its Captain Marvel styling."

They also did acceleration, braking, roadholding tests against a Chevy Blazer LS (3 door), Ford Explorer Sport and Jeep GC Laredo V-8. In a drag race, the VehiCross would win the author states. In the roadholding category the skid pad grip was 0.75g beating its "competitors." Note from the author "The Mercedes ML430 managed just 0.73g."

The Verdict: "It's the sexiest Isuzu ever, and it may well be the sexiest of all sport-utility vehicles." I agree.:yesy:

frakkin toaster
02/09/2012, 09:31 PM
^ pretty cool find...

...which issue was it exactly?

Riff Raff
02/09/2012, 10:44 PM
Well; if you think that's cool, then click-on the link below and read about the "2000 Four Wheeler of the Year" award competition and end results!!!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/5034/index.html

Enjoy.

:bgwb:

Hiredgoon
02/09/2012, 11:20 PM
Oh man, the days when a combined mileage of 17.3 mpg was something to be proud of.

JHarris1385
02/10/2012, 05:38 AM
But the CHEVROLET TAHOE Z71 was the winner, Riff?!?

Scott Harness
02/10/2012, 08:46 AM
But the CHEVROLET TAHOE Z71 was the winner, Riff?!?
advertising $$$ got the last vote:p The VX won almost every category except interior space and visibility

Riff Raff
02/10/2012, 11:28 AM
The VX won almost every category except interior space and visibility

Exactly. There is also an error in the written article that states "there is no grab handle for the rear door of the VX"; which is wrong. The built-in rear door grab handle is located/molded-in just to the right of the VX rear license plate housing to be grabbed using the left hand while the right hand uses the key to unlock the rear door (which proves they were frickin' idiot Judges).

Personally, I think all of the appointed Judges of Four Wheeler Magazine during the 2000 competition were totally "American Biased" and did not want a Japanese Import to win that year, and thus forcibly awarded the victory to the Chevy Tahoe instead of the VX.

If you go back and re-analyze all catagories usng a non-biased points system; especially the performance catagories, then the VX is clearly the hands-down winner across the entire board. It is quite obvious and clear that the "cons" they listed (stowage & rear visibility) on the VX were merely grasping at straws and were perhaps somewhat fabricated in an intentional effort to make the VX come in a very close 2nd place, so that the victory could still be awarded to the American produced Chevy Tahoe. Which is total B.S.!!!

You and I; and all that read the article in depth, know that the VX should have been named 2000 Four Wheeler of the Year. Furthermore; in the 2001 competition, the VX was intentionally not re-invited back because they already knew what the outcome would be for the 2001 Four Wheeler of the Year award. Again; more conspiracy, on the part of Four Wheeler Magazine.

:mado:

Scott Harness
02/10/2012, 03:11 PM
Exactly. There is also an error in the written article that states "there is no grab handle for the rear door of the VX"; which is wrong.

If you scroll down the pics You can see a guy using the handle:confused:

89Vette
02/10/2012, 10:41 PM
Exactly. There is also an error in the written article that states "there is no grab handle for the rear door of the VX"; which is wrong. The built-in rear door grab handle is located/molded-in just to the right of the VX rear license plate housing to be grabbed using the left hand while the right hand uses the key to unlock the rear door (which proves they were frickin' idiot Judges).

Personally, I think all of the appointed Judges of Four Wheeler Magazine during the 2000 competition were totally "American Biased" and did not want a Japanese Import to win that year, and thus forcibly awarded the victory to the Chevy Tahoe instead of the VX.

If you go back and re-analyze all catagories usng a non-biased points system; especially the performance catagories, then the VX is clearly the hands-down winner across the entire board. It is quite obvious and clear that the "cons" they listed (stowage & rear visibility) on the VX were merely grasping at straws and were perhaps somewhat fabricated in an intentional effort to make the VX come in a very close 2nd place, so that the victory could still be awarded to the American produced Chevy Tahoe. Which is total B.S.!!!

You and I; and all that read the article in depth, know that the VX should have been named 2000 Four Wheeler of the Year. Furthermore; in the 2001 competition, the VX was intentionally not re-invited back because they already knew what the outcome would be for the 2001 Four Wheeler of the Year award. Again; more conspiracy, on the part of Four Wheeler Magazine.

:mado:

Car of the Year, SUV of the Year, etc... are always decided by advertising dollars. In the magazines that choose them it's advertising that pays there salaries and keeps them running. So, in an effort to further advertiser's products, why not have a contest and show them to be the best.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Don't take it too personally. Our government is even built that way.

Ldub
02/11/2012, 07:23 AM
If you scroll down the pics You can see a guy using the handle:confused:

LOL...

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/9566025+w750+st0/38388_large+2000_Isuzu_Vehicross+passenger_rear_si de_view.jpg

The judges are ninnyhammerish buffoons...:laughing:

89Vette
02/17/2012, 08:16 PM
LOL...
The judges are ninnyhammerish buffoons...:laughing:

OTOH, maybe he was just steadying himself from the drunken stupor! (And, didn't realize it is a pull!)

:p