PDA

View Full Version : Too much of a good thing?

Vendetta
02/04/2012, 10:22 PM
So I've been going on about how long the shop's been taking with VX, right?

Turns out, while it was in there, they completely replaced my front cladding. As in, brand-freaking new replacement.

Remember, it went in for some minor fender damage and a broken right marker light. And back in like October someone had hit the front left and broken the left turning lens, but I replaced the lens already and there was NO meaningful damage to the cladding at all.

So... why maybe too much of a good thing? Because I was going to (still am) treat the cladding all around with showroom new. And now I'm concerned that it won't come out a match, or even soak in as well on the front piece. It still has that new slickness to it.

The other thing is that I wish I knew what they were planning, I would TOTALLY have warehoused the old cladding. (Actually, I would have swapped them and warehoused the new one.) The old cladding would have been 95+% perfect after Showroom New.

I love that they went the distance, but I just hate a missed opportunity like that. Oh well, life goes on...

-V

VX KAT
02/04/2012, 11:08 PM
Maybe they still have it and it hasn't hit the trash or recycle yet??? Worth a call.
That is an interesting turn of events....

Vendetta
02/04/2012, 11:26 PM
Oh I already emailed the shop manager, trust me. ;) It's doubtful they'll have it though. Judging from the paperwork, this was replaced back like 6 weeks ago. Let's see what Monday brings.
-V

H3_VX
02/05/2012, 05:59 AM
Maybe I missed something, but what happened to your VX to be at a shop for 6 weeks?

vt_maverick
02/05/2012, 06:45 AM
Have you seen it in person yet? The body shop in Denver replaced my front cladding back in October and I was stunned that it was a nearly exact match to the rest of the cladding. I don't know if they sprayed or dyed it (or maybe they just got lucky and found a used piece somewhere) but you can barely notice the difference.

Vendetta
02/05/2012, 07:44 AM
I have, Mav. I got it back on Friday, and didn't even notice it until late Saturday. I thought my cladding had faded more than it actually did, I guess. Probably from looking at too many pictures here. ;)

My concern is that the new piece won't absorb the SN and match the rest of the panels when I'm done.

-V

vt_maverick
02/05/2012, 10:18 AM
So since it's brand new and you'll need to trim it to fit your (I presume) bigger tires, why not do a test on the those triangles vs. a hidden spot elsewhere on the cladding? Maybe the inside of the rear door?

Vendetta
02/05/2012, 11:11 AM
That's good thinking. I was going to do the cladding restore before the lift/tires, but I guess I could wait until afterwards.

tom4bren
02/06/2012, 10:58 AM
The shop replaced my nose cone too (& I didn't think it was needed). Glad I told them ahead of time that I wanted all parts when they were done.

Cris
02/07/2012, 08:44 AM
Unless you have not kept up on conditioning the cladding since you bought it you might have a proboblem. bought mine new in early 2000 and not a week has gone by without treatment to the cladding, yep 13 years old and one owner MEEEE lol lol !