PDA

View Full Version : ? about Diff brackets

LittleBeast
02/02/2012, 05:44 PM
So one of my bushings on my front Diff brackets is completely blown out.

Has anyone pressed a new one on there?

I have already ordered a new one from Merlin, but how hard is it going to be to get the old one out and the new one in there? How do I do it exactly?

I have already taken the front diff out twice and I am not planning on doing it again, I am planning on just loosening the 4 diff bracket bolts to the frame and trying to get the old one out, and put the new one in :-)

Ldub
02/02/2012, 06:22 PM
So one of my bushings on my front Diff brackets is completely blown out.

I have already ordered a new one from Merlin, but how hard is it going to be to get the old one out and the new one in there? How do I do it exactly?

I have already taken the front diff out twice and I am not planning on doing it again, I am planning on just loosening the 4 diff bracket bolts to the frame and trying to get the old one out, and put the new one in :-)

Joe D or Matt might be the best "go to guys" to contact...:_confused

VXorado
02/02/2012, 08:06 PM

I also have a blown bushing & am looking to replace it this Spring. I have a 20-ton press at work that I was planning on using.

Dropping the diff is my least favorite project. I guess if it's the passenger side diff bracket you could pull the CV & bracket without completely dropping the diff. Or do you have another plan?

Triathlete
02/02/2012, 08:15 PM
If it requires a press just take it to any auto machine shop...should only cost around $15. Thats what I did for my control arm bushings.

LittleBeast
02/02/2012, 08:21 PM
If it requires a press just take it to any auto machine shop...should only cost around $15. Thats what I did for my control arm bushings.

Yes, that is my question though, if you have to have the bracket loose in order to use the press we are talking 4-6 hours of work dissecting CV's and axles and axle grease and dropping the front diff to get the bracket off.

But if you can use the press while on the VX yeah no biggie :-)

VXorado
02/02/2012, 08:27 PM
Yes, that is my question though, if you have to have the bracket loose in order to use the press we are talking 4-6 hours of work dissecting CV's and axles and axle grease and dropping the front diff to get the bracket off.

But if you can use the press while on the VX yeah no biggie :-)

The bracket will need to be off the VX. It needs to be pressed in something like this:

http://photos.phpwerx.net/cars/Legacy/Swap/2008-03-24_Bushings/800x600/DSCF2290.JPG

LittleBeast
02/02/2012, 08:58 PM
The bracket will need to be off the VX. It needs to be pressed in something like this:

Yeah that is what I was afraid of.....

I am thinking about possibly using a 2 ton gear puller to press it on there without totally removing the brackets. Just have the brackets hanging loose, and hang the teeth of the gear puller on the far side of the bracket and drill a small indention on the head of the screw and see if the puller can pull the bracket around the bushing.

OR

Maybe trying to use the weight of the VX and my hydraulic bottle jack and some well placed oil to press it on with the brackets firmly in place? We will see.

tom4bren
02/03/2012, 05:19 AM
When we put the diff drops on for CSTYLES, one of his bushings were FUBAR. I'll have to call Welder Guy to see how much force was required to push the new one in. It may not take that much force to install the new one, I'm more concerned on how much trouble you'll have getting the old one out. IIRC there is a metal core on the bushing that got siezed to the mounting bolt on CSTYLES. If that core came out, then removal of the old one may be very easy. I highly recommend anti-sieze on the mounting bolt when you re-install.

EDIT:

Just talked to Welder Guy. He said that it didn't take that much force to install the new bushing. Your gear puller will prolly work or if there is room, you could even draw it in with a large bolt & some washers.

I'm guessing that the largest challenge will be to remove the remnants of the old bushing.

SilverBullet75
02/03/2012, 08:56 AM
Do you have to have it aligned after the diff drop?
I'm guessing "no" but want to be sure...

tom4bren
02/03/2012, 09:10 AM
No.

LittleBeast
02/03/2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks Tom very much appreciated I was going to just call you but realized your number did not transfer over to the new phone.

SilverBullet75
02/03/2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks Tom.
... and sorry if I semi-Jacked the thread.

samneil2000
02/09/2012, 06:17 AM
My brother is a pro Ford mechanic and he has a portable, hand-held hydraulic press. It has various adapters for different sized openings etc.
I've seen him use it to press ball joints out and in without too much difficulty. Perhaps that would be an option...

tom4bren
02/09/2012, 06:30 AM
My brother is a pro Ford mechanic and he has a portable, hand-held hydraulic press. It has various adapters for different sized openings etc.
I've seen him use it to press ball joints out and in without too much difficulty. Perhaps that would be an option...

Only for the tooofless Tennesseee'ans who happen to know your brother.:)

samneil2000
02/10/2012, 01:21 PM
I've got all my teef. They're in a box in my undies drawer.

I just meant that such a tool existed that might make the job easier, but I think you already knowd that. :)