PDA

View Full Version : transmission oil leek vehicross JDM

norazz
01/31/2012, 06:05 AM
I have come across quite a few questions and answers about transmission oil leeks in Vehicross but these seem to apply mostly to US versions. I own a 1997 vehicross (Japanese model) with about 35K kilometers on the clock and I am now worried about the persistent leek which originates from somewhere near the transmission. The mechanic did tighten slightly the pan bolts and he suggested he would change the pan gasket if leek persists. But I have my doubts. I still think that an oil seal malfunction is the cause. Could it be the oil seal on the tranny shaft connecting to the prop shaft ? Correct me if my reasoning is wrong. I would appreciate other members' advice before we dismantle. Replies on this forum might help others with similar problems. But a reply to me on : npanpa@maltanet.net will indeed be appreciated. Norman.

deermagnet
01/31/2012, 06:34 AM
Please post some photos of the area in question.
This is what could leak on a '99 VX trans-

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/imgs/vx3/trannyleak.png

Mark

atilla_the_fun
01/31/2012, 07:41 AM
Are you sure that it is transmission oil? Remove the torque converter cover plate just between the engine and transmission (held on by either two or four bolts) and look inside with a flash light (or probe the area with a towel on a stick). If there is oil there it would mean a seal in this area is leaking - either a transmission seal (transmission oil) or engine rear main seal (engine oil). A leak in this area ends up spreading past the cover plate and backwards over the entire transmission and cross-members, looking like a transmission gasket leak or an oil-pan gasket leak.

norazz
01/31/2012, 11:13 AM
Yes i am sure it is transmission oil - it is red in colour and much different than the engine oil. I will have my mechanic go through the tips supplied by 'deermagnet' and 'atilla the fun' and hope for the best. Meantime I am grateful for the quick response by these 2 gentlemen. Norman.