PDA

View Full Version : Delay while accelerating (again)...

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 09:43 AM
Ok, I know this has been brought up before, and I don't think anything has ever been truelyunderstood about this "problem". Please chime in if you are having the same symptoms, or if you think you know what the heck is going on...

I've noticed the delay both from accelerating off the line (from a complete stop), and, when downshifting when either starting to accelerate after slowing down, or when making a turn and accelerating. I believe the delay usually comes when in first or possibly second gear, at around 2700 - 2800 rpms. It is a slight delay, and then it keeps accelerating.

Someone (Tone, if I recall) mentioned something about hitting the limiter, or something to that nature. I can say I'm not even getting close to redline, and definitely not going fast enough to hit it. It doesn't seem to be at a specific speed, but then again, it does usually happen when starting from a stop, or turning a corner and giving it some gas. I'm not even close to flooring it, but I am giving it a bit of acceleration.

Anyone have this problem, heard of this problem, or even think they know what it is???

Virus-VX
10/07/2003, 10:12 AM
Could be transmission :confused: / Torque converter / Powertrain Control Module (PCM) needs to be reprogrammed? :rolleyes:
Or you might simply got VX with so called "retarded engine" as one of my friend named it. ;)

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 11:23 AM
I'd definitely say something is being "retarded"... I just wish I knew what.

By the way, my computer was reprogrammed (or updated) back at the end of November 2002 with whatever new release(s) they had pending. It was definitely giving me the delay since before that time.

Raque Thomas
10/07/2003, 11:38 AM
I noticed a bogging down on acceleration (only sometimes) after I installed a cone filter. Do you have the stock filter?

BlackVX
10/07/2003, 11:48 AM
I had this problem once in a while this spring. It ended up with a check engine light later on during the summer.
As you may remember, I had to go to the dealer (refer to the thread EGR valve replacement (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1941&highlight=EGR+tube+replacement) ) and went through several services done on the VX.

If I were you I would try the following first.

- Clean the MAF sensor.

Maybe it gives the wrong information to the engine.

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by raquethomas
I noticed a bogging down on acceleration (only sometimes) after I installed a cone filter. Do you have the stock filter?

Nope, but I do know what you are talking about. I have tried a few cone setups before, and felt the bog you are referring to. My setup now is the OE box with an AMSoil drop in filter.

Originally posted by BlackVX
If I were you I would try the following first.

- Clean the MAF sensor.

Maybe it gives the wrong information to the engine.

Interesting call... when doing some service on the VX last weekend, I replaced the K&N filter with an AMSoil one I've had, and noticed how dirty the MAS was. I wiped it a bit with a towel, but it was only one side, and it didn't get totally clean. I need to spray it and make sure it gets totally clean. What sort of solution should you spray it with? Does it matter?

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/07/2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I need to spray it and make sure it gets totally clean. What sort of solution should you spray it with? Does it matter?

I've never had to do this...but I would recommend an electrical spray sometimes referred to as contact cleaner. It is safe for electrical components and drys quickly. Electrical supply companies have it. If all else fails go to a hobby shop where they have RC cars and ask for motor spray...same stuff...I used to race RC cars and used either motor spray or contact cleaner as it is the same. Excellent for flushing out debris...dirt...etc...and then dries quickly somewhat like brake cleaner. A top name brand would be: CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner.

A buddy of mine owns a Starter/Alternator repair shop and orders it by the case...He used to give me the stuff for free for helping him to dial in his setup on his RC car before race time...lol.

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 09:26 PM
What about just going to AutoZone and buying a brake or carburator cleaner?

SGT.BATGUANO
10/07/2003, 09:40 PM
Those might be too harsh on electrical components. Supposedly, you shouldn't use carb cleaner on throttle bodies either . Maybe "throttle body cleaner" would work. Also, some electrical and contact cleaners are CFC-free. I find these don't work too well because the propellant causes condensation to form on the parts. CRC should be ok.

Cyrk
10/08/2003, 12:24 AM
Dallas could it be the screen you took out form the MAS?

BlackVX
10/08/2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
What about just going to AutoZone and buying a brake or carburator cleaner?

I didn't clean mine but bought a brand new one from St-Charles Isuzu.
This is an interesting article (http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips.htm) about cleaning the MAF. It's from a Ford Explorer BB but it seems that it describes your VX problem.

Fix for a Missing Engine

Posted by: Jack Lobdell

Many Explorer owners have experienced "bogging" or "missing" or just unsteady performance in their 4.0 engine and have been frustrated by lots of expensive "non-fixes". After riding on a plane next to a manufacturing trainer from a company that builds OEM replacement auto electrical components for places like AutoZone and CarQuest, I tried his tip. He says that Ford have these problems more than other makes and the 4.0 engine seems to be more susceptible to the problem than other Ford engines.

It seems that a "missing" engine culprit is actually the computer's sensor inside the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). It eventually just gets a little dirty or builds up its own patina in the filament wires. A dirty or slightly patinated filament will send the wrong air reading to the computer, saying it is getting more air than it really is and the computer will tell the EFI to send in the wrong mix of fuel, thus, the bogging. The patina seems to form faster if you live in a damp climate. I don't so here in New Mexico mine went 82K before it developed a small "flat idle spot"…it would run just fine but the idle began to drop every few revs from 700 to 500. No big deal.

If you have had bogging or missing or idle spots, about every 25K miles plan on this quick cleaning job:
When your engine is cool, remove the wiring clip from the side of the black plastic sensor part of the MAF aluminum body. To remove the MAF interior sensor wire, you will need a Security Star (Size T15 or T20) screwdriver or screwdriver bit for a power screwdriver. Remove the two security star-head screws and carefully remove the sensor. You will see the two sensor filaments…they look almost like the filaments on a light bulb. Carefully spray the filaments with an O2 safe carburetor cleaner, such as Gumout . Let it dry thoroughly. I help mine along with a careful blast or two of canned dry air. While it is drying carefully wipe the aluminum mount surface of the MAF body if there is any dust there, but be careful not to get dust in the mount hole. When the sensor is dry, replace the sensor back in the MAF body and secure with the security star-head screws. These don't need to be torqued down, just simply hand tight. Replace the wiring clip. Then start up your engine. You should have solved any bogging or missing problems. My flat idle spot is ancient history.

Dallas4u
10/08/2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Cyrk
Dallas could it be the screen you took out form the MAS?

I hope not. There are a very few of us on here that have done it, but I haven't heard of this problem with their VX's.

Originally posted by BlackVX
This is an interesting article (http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips.htm) about cleaning the MAF. It's from a Ford Explorer BB but it seems that it describes your VX problem.

VERY INTERESTING STUFF!! Again, I DID notice that the MAS (and the sensor and sensor filaments) was pretty dirty. I tried wiping them with a dry towel, but I couldn't get it very well. I WILL try this when I get home tonight and let everyone know if it makes a difference!! Thanks for the post!

Dare2Dream
09/06/2005, 05:00 PM
Dallas, I'm wondering if you ever solved this problem? I may have something similar but not that bad. Thx.

Ldub
09/06/2005, 08:11 PM
Dare,
Welcome, always good to see new members with a common interest...VX's.
Mmmmm...how to say this....Dallas doesn't live here anymore, this thread is almost two years old.
Dallas sold his VX about 8mos.-a yr. ago, he still occaisionally stops in to visit,I can't remember who bought his ride.
You might want to start a new thread on this & post the symptoms that pertain specifically to your VX.
Again, welcome aboard & enjoy the ride, Ldub

Dare2Dream
09/06/2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks Ldub, this is definitely THE place for VXers. I've been checking out the forum from time to time and finally decided to join.

I did a search and found alot of helpful information that should help fix the problem. If nothing works, i will surely make a new thread.

Thanks again.