PDA

View Full Version : On the drive home

kehecross
01/25/2012, 05:55 PM
Today as I was pulling up to a stop light I heard a shishishshi shi shi shi from the rear as I slowed to stop. Then as I pulled away I hear shi shi shi shi shishi (Pretty good sound effects huh) So when I got home I pulled the old girl into the garage and slid under to take a look. I was expecting to find somthing rapped around the driveshaft or the rear wheel. Well to my suprise there was a 3"X8" piece of chrome hanging off the inside of the right rear wheel. And it was slapping on the shock. What a bummer, after further inspection I found all the wheel are doing the same thing. They look good from the outside But it wont take long now for the outside to do the same.:mady:

vt_maverick
01/25/2012, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear that kehecross, but it's nearly inevitable with the factory chrome rims unless you live out west where there's no salt. If you have the $ go out and invest in a nice set of aftermarket rims - they'll almost certainly be better than what you have now.

Take a read of this thread if you haven't already:

Post of all Rims and Tires out there! (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14685)

kehecross
01/25/2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks VT That link rocks!! :bwgy: So many choices I am going to be looking at these for a long time. lol I think I will buy some after markets this summer and just run these in the winter. I just never saw a wheel peel like this before. I mean the chrome is coming off in real big chunks.

TheGanzman
01/25/2012, 07:31 PM
Another thing you COULD do w/the stock rims (which *I* plan on doing sooner or later) is having the chrome chemically stripped off of them, have the aluminum polished (if you like) and then have them powder/clearcoated. Personally, I LIKE the look of the factory wheels, but I think that their being chromed is a bit too "pimpish"; even that I usually have my Curtis Mayfield "Superfly" CD loaded up...

Etfren
01/28/2012, 09:22 PM
Yup, I have peeled some pretty big sheets of chrome off my wheels. Had one that went about half way around the wheel in one piece. I'm getting them dismounted and sandblasted then probably painting them before I put my new 35's on. Was going to go with powdercoat, but since they are just for wheeling and I'll probably be getting some new 15's at some point a good paint job should do fine.

kehecross
01/29/2012, 09:05 AM
Does sand blasting work? That chrome is pretty thick. If that works I will do it and make winter wheels out of them. Sound less costly then chemical strip!

Riff Raff
01/29/2012, 09:14 AM
Does sand blasting work? That chrome is pretty thick. If that works I will do it and make winter wheels out of them. Sound less costly then chemical strip!

Just visit your local Powder-Coating shop and talk to the manager about various options. Typically, sand-blasting is a must for previously chromed rims and is normal part of the preparation process.

:bgwb:

kehecross
01/29/2012, 09:23 AM
Ok will do! Just kind of a bummer wanted to keep the stock look(except tire size going alittle bigger) Another set of stocks for the summer might be another option. As long as they don't do the same.

Triathlete
01/29/2012, 12:11 PM
Black chrome would look awesome!

kehecross
01/29/2012, 02:49 PM
Black chrome would look awesome!

I agreeeee:yeso:

Hiredgoon
01/29/2012, 05:04 PM
My stock 18s are now gracing my brother-in-law's chevy truck, and to be honest, I think they look a lot better on it than they ever did on the vx. It's just my opinion, but I definitely prefer a little less metal on my wheels--my 16s ride better and look more balanced to me.