PDA

View Full Version : Pull to the left after lift...

SilverBullet75
01/25/2012, 03:16 PM
Hi,
So it's been just over a year now since I lifted. Ever since then I have felt a slight pull to the left while at highway speeds. It's been annoying. I had it aligned twice now with no improvement.

So, the other day I had my measuring tape out and measured from the top of the wheel rim to the fender. All but the front left were at 13.75".
The left front is at 13.10-ish"

Do you think this is enough to cause the pull?

Should I just crank the torsion bar to see?
I'm going to install the HD torsion bars soon, so alignment be damned.
I just want to find the cause so I don't repeat it after the new bars are installed and it's aligned.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
---JIM---

tom4bren
01/25/2012, 04:11 PM
I believe that that much of a difference could be causing your problem.

But you'll need another alignment after you crank that torsion bar to level her out. Without the alignment, it'll still pull since the alignment took the height difference into account.

djvx
01/25/2012, 05:12 PM
make sure your measuring with the rig on level ground such as a real flat parking lot.

RabidPony
01/25/2012, 08:00 PM
First park you VX on a good, level piece of ground then find a static marker that is identical on both sides of the truck. I used the screws on the inside rear of the front wheel wells. Take a piece of string with a weight on one end and tape the other end to the screw head so that the weight is just touching the ground and make a mark at this spot with chalk or something. Now measure from the screw head to your mark. This will allow you to get a clean height measurement on both sides. Adjust your torsion bars accordingly then roll the vehicle back and forth a few times to let the suspension adjust. Make new marks and remeasure. Rinse and repeat until both sides are even.

Triathlete
01/25/2012, 08:36 PM
You're just not gangsta lean'in to the right enough! :D

SilverBullet75
01/26/2012, 12:25 PM
I believe that that much of a difference could be causing your problem.
But you'll need another alignment...
Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks!

make sure your measuring with the rig on level ground such as a real flat parking lot.
Yep. I'm in my garage. Very flat. Thanks.

First park you VX on a good, level piece of ground then find a static marker that is identical on both sides of the truck...
Good method. Thanks!

You're just not gangsta lean'in to the right enough! :D
I'm almost to the point of getting a JDM to convert to RHD!
LOL
JK

I think that the difference is definitely the cause of the pull.
When I install the HD Torsion Bars I'll be more careful on the measurements...

Thing is... I thought it WAS even when I did it. Maybe I'll take it off road a little and remeasure/adjust before getting it aligned.

Thanks all.

JoFotoz
01/26/2012, 03:04 PM
With the stock T/bars, its well worth taking a small file
and indexing the the bolt heads prior to cranking...
....we all forget how many turns we did t'other side :rolleyes:

When you fit the HD T/Bars...and get it all set level etc...
...maybe index right away, for reference in the future.

jo

RabidPony
01/26/2012, 03:37 PM
With the stock T/bars, its well worth taking a small file
and indexing the the bolt heads prior to cranking...
....we all forget how many turns we did t'other side :rolleyes:

When you fit the HD T/Bars...and get it all set level etc...
...maybe index right away, for reference in the future.

jo

Ditto. And driving it around will actually settle the bars some after adjusting. Just like with installing springs. I remeasure after about a week and it all is good then I get an alignment.

SilverBullet75
01/27/2012, 10:52 AM
Good points.
thanks guys.

I was just thinking...

If I get a good measurement of fender to rim on both fronts, shouldn't I be able to match the heights when installing the new bars and NOT have to realign? (With the slight drop on the left side left in.)

thoughts?

JoFotoz
01/27/2012, 11:06 AM
Alignment is still required IMO...

If I get a good measurement of fender to rim on both fronts, shouldn't I be able to match the heights when installing the new bars and NOT have to realign? (With the slight drop on the left side left in.)

thoughts?

Getting the lift equal on both sides is great, but that doesnt compensate
for the change in geometry of "A" arms etc that occurs as a result of the lift.
Toe in/out will change , and this will have repercussions relative to tire wear.

Do get a second opinion on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.:confused:

jo

RabidPony
01/27/2012, 11:48 AM
I think what he's saying is that if he matches the post T-bar swap heights with the pre install heights, will he have to get an alignment. I'd say no, as long as you get everything dialed in and get an alignment before the swap. However, I would just hold off until after the swap and give the new bars some time to settle, then get an alignment done. Better yet, get an alignment from someplace that offers lifetime alignment and get one before and after.

SilverBullet75
01/27/2012, 11:55 AM
Darnit.... It's a moot point for a while.
I just spoke to Independent4x... there is a waiting list to get the torsion bars. They are out, and won't be producing them for a couple months. AARGGGHH!
:upsetgray

Ok,
Maybe I'll look into rear-end gears now. LOL
This project money is burning a HOLE in my pocket!!!
LOL

JoFotoz
01/27/2012, 12:11 PM
I'll tell ya a great way to spend the t/bar $$$'s...

I'll be coming through Vegas on May 11th...

....fill up yer tank and follow me to Moab!

Jo

SilverBullet75
01/27/2012, 12:32 PM
BELIEVE ME... I've been wanting to do Moab ever since I heard about it back in '03 when I bought the VX. My wedding anniversary is on the 20th, and we always try to do something special (trip) that week. Still working on my wife with Moab...... :yesgray:

JoFotoz
01/27/2012, 12:35 PM
Trust me...

BELIEVE ME... I've been wanting to do Moab ever since I heard about it back in '03 when I bought the VX. My wedding anniversary is on the 20th, and we always try to do something special (trip) that week. Still working on my wife with Moab...... :yesgray:

...the "Stoop" is special!

jo

SilverBullet75
01/27/2012, 12:36 PM
.......not to mention 2 lifted black VXs heading down the highway together... then meeting up with 20+ more later! Now that sounds like fun!
:thumbup:

VXorado
01/27/2012, 01:02 PM
Your alignment might be fine after readjusting. Its not unheard of for a torsion bar bolt to loosen over time and lower the front suspension. If your VX was level when you got the alignment, its off now because the IFS lowered. My passenger side bolt loosens and lowers the suspension causing my VX to pull to the right.

Its probably best to get an alignment after you adjust the torsion bar just in case. Like Jo said, mark the bolt and check for moment if this happens again.

Older Toyota trucks had this issue & many owners used a second bolt on top to lock in the torsion bar position.