PDA

View Full Version : What to do before 1200 miles?

jeeperkate
01/21/2012, 04:13 PM
OK guys/gals, I am getting excited to go get the VX on Friday, but I want to make sure I replace any parts & pieces you suggest before driving it 1200 miles. I am terrified because I will be making this trip SOLO, driving a car that I haven't even sat in, and these vehicles have the propensity to have problems.

I TOTALLY understand the need to check my oil every time I stop to fill up - NO problem! I got that one.

The mechanic that did the inspection changed the serpentine belt for me. He didn't think it was wise to drive it the way it was and he seems pretty cool, so I said DO IT! For $60 it is worth the piece of mind.

I plan on bringing a PCV down with me to put in. I also plan on bringing a plug-in ready radio since the previous owner stripped that out prior to selling.

The mechanic plugged in a big scan OBD II reader and found that in the past the EGR caused problems, but obviously he couldn't tell me how long ago that was so I am not going to do anything there.

Anything else you suggest? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Triathlete
01/21/2012, 04:36 PM
Make sure air pressure is equal in all 4 tires and the amount of wear appears even...that will keep the TOD happy.
Also make sure the air cleaner is clean/new.

TheGanzman
01/21/2012, 05:06 PM
Call "Horseless Carriage"...:bwgy:

I would say that a lot depends on the mileage/condition of the particular VX you're getting ready to drive. FWIW, I'd drive MINE 1,200 miles TOMORROW, but I'm fastidious with maintenance, and I've driven it 800 mile roundtrips a half dozen times...

I'd plan on carrying some rudimentary tools with me, including a can of "Fix-A-Flat"; a flashlight, spare motor oil (3-4 quarts), a bottle of antifreeze, and prolly an upper and lower radiator hose and a section of heater hose(s); alternately, you can buy a "splice/repair" kit for both radiator and heater hoses. I'd also carry a plastic "splicer" with hose clamps so that you can bypass the heater core by removing the heater hose inlet/outlets to the core and clamp them to each other if your heater core takes a crap on you...

Yeah - I'm "old school" - I've also done the Kowalski "Vanishing Point" run East-West and West-East about a dozen times. I only wasn't able to "limp home" ONE time - blew a head gasket in a '71 4-4-2 convertible in Nashville TN and had to layover for the requisite repair...

Good Luck! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - I don't know WHAT the hell that means, but I LOVE the way it SOUNDS!:bgwb:

Mile High VX
01/21/2012, 06:13 PM
I'd add a set of jumper cables and maybe a set of wiper blades purchased on site and installed before you take off.

Any items you may need for inclement weather; snow scrapers and such. Perhaps pick up some deicer and windshield washer fluid.

Also don't forget all of the car chargers for phones and such...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Enjoy the drive...you'll smile all the way home!

VX KAT
01/21/2012, 08:11 PM
:laugho: Ya'll ar makin me laugh....:p
LOL....she's a jeeper from MinneSNOWota.....I think she's got the basics of snow prep...;):p

Kate....look at the questionnaire...it'll give you a roadmap of what VX items to prepare for on your drive home.

TRANNY SOUNDS -Lots of people are surprised how loud and clunky the tranny can be....from P-D and P-R, even D-P...there's often some lash and a slight delay in the clunk engaging...don't know how to tell you what's "ok" or "normal"...just a heads up that it may sound weird. (it sure did on mine...and it was A-OK!)

TOD & TIRE SIZE/AIR PRESSURE/WEAR/SAME MODEL -Billy's comments about this possibly affecting the TOD is also a good heads up....many owners have heard some nasty grinding sounds when any of these are too far off (and yet, others have NOT had this occur in those circumstances :_thinking)

ROUGH RIDE- remember, this thing is a rough rider, any way you look at it...so expect a really clunky, harsh, vibrating ride on anything other than smooth pavement. And you'll likely get some good hard clunks going over road joints etc... Might want to take a peak at the rear bump stops ahead of time so you know how much clearance is there...and how slamming a ride you can expect in the rear.

WINDOWS: Probably won't need to worry about the windows since it's cold...can do that when you get home.

DOOR HANDLES: As these things have gotten older, many people are having problems with the door handle mechanism breaking. Don't think you can do anything about it, just be aware....and always open the door handles GENTLY so it doesn't slip off your fingers. One VXer got some gritty strips and cut them to fit up under the outer door handle so our fingers don't slip off the plastic handle and possibly break it. Think it was VCrossFan that did it...he sent me 2 strips, they work great, never have the handle slip out of my hand.

SEAT BACK RELEASE - the little black knob that makes the seat back come forward to allow access to rear seats....HANDLE THAT KNOB with care...it's old and dried out too and fragile!

CVs- After having a CV boot split this past summer, and seeing all the grease that leaked out...and what damage I COULD have done if I hadn't found that early......I'd at least want to take a peak at the CV boots to see what condition they're in.

CAREFUL WITH THE DOOR LOCKS....those things somehow end up locking themselves when you're outside the truck....ALWAYS KEEP A KEY WITH YOU...ON YOUR BODY! It's happened to me at least twice! :goof:

MIRROR: Might want to buy 2 small convex mirrors stick-ons to take with you...it will likely have one already stuck on, but it's really helpful to have. Most put it on the lower, outer corner of the mirror....but for some reason, my oblong shape ones were most useful in the lower, inner corner.

BLIND SPOT...OR HUGE BLIND SPOT....Get familiar with that big hawnkin' blind spot before you roll out.....it's not a C-pillar...it's a C-WALL!!!!!!

CD PLAYER- DON'T EVEN BOTHER...it'll most likely just eat your CDs....stick with your temp stereo....

See ya when ya get home! :thumbup:

VXorado
01/22/2012, 10:18 AM
Anything else to watch out for?

Watch out for other cars, the VX come equipped with some nice blind spots :thumbup:

Mile High VX
01/22/2012, 11:26 AM
Watch out for other cars, the VX come equipped with some nice blind spots :thumbup:

x2...OEM equipment all 3 years!

Scott Larson
01/22/2012, 11:32 AM
I'm with you Sue! Seriously, wiper blades? Those can be gotten anywhere enroute, IF NEEDED... All doomsday BS aside, bring some basic mechanics tools and a rudimentary understanding of basic auto mechanics and you should be fine. Check your fluids before departure and pick up any as needed along the way. You're traveling major roads and highways, so it's not like you're going to be caught miles from anywhere with no access to basic auto care products or services. Keep the tunes turned down and your ears turned up to any "peculiar noises". After the first 50-or-so miles, pull into a station and check everything out, sooner if you suspect anything "unusual". Having the VX Shop Manual downloaded on your PC along for the ride could prove to be priceless. Good judgement, a keen ear, and a little luck go a long way towards a successful road-trip! Best of luck, and if you need any assistance, we're here...:cool!:

jeeperkate
01/23/2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you everyone!

Here is what I have so far: PCV Valve, Duct Tape (never know when you might need that), Air Cleaner, flashlight, first aid kit, aftermarket stereo, and little mirrors. I am not going to be able to bring tools since I am flying with carry-on luggage only, so I am praying I won't need them. Although, I will probably pick up a few wrenches at the same place I pick up all the fluids once I arrive in GA. I also have the shop manuals on my computer, just in case (good idea). Winter stuff is taken care of!

Anyone else have anything to add?

TheGanzman
01/24/2012, 05:59 AM
A Saint Christopher medallion for SURE, and perhaps a plastic Jesus for the dash; that should do it!

jeeperkate
01/24/2012, 06:37 AM
A Saint Christopher medallion for SURE, and perhaps a plastic Jesus for the dash; that should do it!

All I have is a dancing flower and a little buddha - geeze I hope I make it!! ;)

Scott Larson
01/24/2012, 02:49 PM
You'll do fine, you've got the duct tape for anything that moves that's not supposed to; now just ad WD40 for anything that doesn't move but IS supposed to! Have a safe trip and best of luck...:_steering

Gussie2000
01/24/2012, 03:17 PM
I am with scott in regards of loading your self with stuff that you really don't need to carry with you.
Screw drivers,plyers,jumper cables and a flash light is what you really need to carry because if happens that the VX breaks down ( God's spare you ) is more likely you may need to have tow it to the nearest mech-shop anyways

1rst aid kit ? .......seriously ?

More important make sure all electrical are working,especially the brake,parking,headlights & hazard

Check that all caps are tight close ( engine.radiator,brake,steering,etc )

Before hitting the H-way check all fluids,especially the engine oil and make sure is fresh oil in there,also the tires should be properly inflated ( for TOD purposes )

Grab 1 or 2 quarts of engine oil and take it along with you.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT >>>>Since you don't know yet how much oil the engine may consume i'll suggest you make a 10 minutes stop @ every 100/150 miles to check the level,that can help you figured out @ which amount of miles you need to add more oil again.

I wish you the best ride back home and above all a safe ride.

PS: Welcome aboard kate

jeeperkate
01/24/2012, 05:23 PM
1rst aid kit ? .......seriously ?

PS: Welcome aboard kate

:p I find a way to hurt myself all the time :p I pretty much have a first aid kit where ever I go....it is necessary...seriously :bgwo:

Thanks!

PK
01/24/2012, 05:42 PM
Take a bunch of lemons to suck on.:(:yesy::yeso:

With 1200 miles to drive that smile will make your face ache.

Suck on a lemon to ease your aching facial muscles.:winkgray::p:p

PK

Gussie2000
01/24/2012, 08:59 PM
:p I find a way to hurt myself all the time :p I pretty much have a first aid kit where ever I go....it is necessary...seriously :bgwo:

Thanks!

For a minute i thought you had plans to put up a fight with the VX :p

Kona-Vs
01/24/2012, 09:29 PM
HAVE FUN! I love road trips. :grino:

2Bonthewater
01/25/2012, 03:37 PM
Jesus on the dashboard....everytime I hear that I think of this killer tune by
Clutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HJnar9e8w

jeeperkate
01/27/2012, 02:30 AM
Today is the day! I should be meeting my VX in about 9 hrs! :-) Wish me luck!

mantis465
01/27/2012, 04:13 AM
best of luck on trip i sure it will be a blast. i bought my vx from a guy in hinckley MN with a really bad rod knock and drove it back the 1200miles home to Calgary and made it. and as if that was not pushing my luck enough i now have bought another one with a rod knock in canton OH and will be trying to drive it the 2000miles home.

jeeperkate
01/27/2012, 09:49 PM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. WARNING: contains gory information!

I picked up the VX today - she looked as expected and ran as expected. I have noticed that it does eat some oil, probably near the engine specifications.

All my excitement for the VX today was brought to a halt about 35 minutes into my driving trip :-( I was driving on I-75 into Chattanooga when a car passed me going very fast and darting in and out of traffic. Not more than 3 minutes later he lost control, hit the median and the car (going about 85mph) did about a dozen flips mid air/hitting frequently - landing on it's tires. I was only about 3 cars back in the VX and immediately pulled over and ran to the car to help. There were apparently 2 teens in the car - one crawled out of the passenger window himself and looked at me and said "where is Tony?" I said "there was another person?" Tony was not wearing his seatbelt and was ejected during one of the rolls and when everything stopped he was about about 150 ft from the car. Unfortunately, the car was on the road and he was in a water filled ditch down a big slope - I was the one that spotted him and was the first by his side. We got him out of the ditch but he was too badly hurt, gushing blood from his nose and mouth. He never responded to us and only once actually coughed or opened his eyes. We tried everything including CPR, but Tony died at the scene....with me standing right near him....not exactly the day any of us had planned :-( My heartfelt prayers go to Tony's family and friends, may he rest in peace.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/crash-1008535-deadly-cleard.html

PS - I made it to Louisville - no problems so far with the VX. Tomorrow to Madison, WI.

VX KAT
01/27/2012, 09:57 PM
:freek: that's just so awful, sounds like he was driving really crazy....sad... :(
Good to hear the VX is doing OK and you can continue on your trip home....albeit a little more subdued than expected....

Gussie2000
01/27/2012, 10:10 PM
One more time the history repeats its self.....

Teenagers driving with no regards for the life of others and their own life.

@ 85 MPH without seatbelt is just playing with satan and he usually wins.

My sincere condolences to the family

Vendetta
01/28/2012, 02:21 PM
Brutal way to mar what should have been a day of beautiful memories for you. Regarding the teens, do you know if it was the driver or passenger that died? For his own sake, I hope it was the driver, as he'd be spared living the rest of his life with the guilt of having killed his friend.

I see WAY too much of this kind of thing on Long Island. Makeshift shrines dot the parkways as testaments to the deadly combination of youth, recklessness, and horsepower a-plenty.

Glad things are right with your new VX though. I see it as a good omen that your trip and undamaged VX put you in a position to bring a measure of aid and comfort to those in need that day.
-V

Ldub
01/28/2012, 04:35 PM
Brutal way to mar what should have been a day of beautiful memories for you. Regarding the teens, do you know if it was the driver or passenger that died? For his own sake, I hope it was the driver, as he'd be spared living the rest of his life with the guilt of having killed his friend.

I see WAY too much of this kind of thing on Long Island. Makeshift shrines dot the parkways as testaments to the deadly combination of youth, recklessness, and horsepower a-plenty.

Glad things are right with your new VX though. I see it as a good omen that your trip and undamaged VX put you in a position to bring a measure of aid and comfort to those in need that day.
-V

Well said V...:yesgray:

Kate...take some comfort in the fact that you did what you could, though the circumstances were all the way to "11" on the suck-O -meter...:(

Much gladness flows from the ol' dubster, knowing you & your new truck weren't harmed...at least physically.

Don't hesitate to get some grief/trauma counseling...:yes:

Gussie2000
01/28/2012, 06:33 PM
You're absolutely right V.
s
I also have to witness every single day while working these kids playing around with kick ***** vehicules.

Camaros,SRT-8's,mustangs,corvettes,pontiacs,etc are vehicules that shall be banned for drivers under 21,but again,we suppossedly living in a free country...so....

jeeperkate
01/28/2012, 08:21 PM
Yea....Ive come around a bit but dont think I will ever be the same. Im sure it will take some time :(

It was the driver that died and they were driving a 90s honda civic. It didnt look tuned but they were definitely moving.

VX and i made it to madison. I got a CEL about 2 hrs away in illinois after turning around quickly (i may have horsed it a bit) in a snow/wet covered mud parking lot. I filled up with gas a mile away and the VX promply stalled upon leaving the gas station. I thought i was in trouble, but it started back up a few minutes later and never caused another problem. As i drove into Madison the CEL turned off. I have no idea what it was but i can tell you that i need to take a good look at the t-case. There were some funny noises coming out of there when i was playing in that parking lot! Makes me very nervous.

Only other major issue is the passenger window - it is currently duct taped up. BAD!!

Otherwise i love it! It has great road manners. 18mpg average. Burns/consums oil inconsistently - i never had to add today :-) its fun to drive - ride is better than the jeep! 5 more hours tomorrow. Duluth bound in th AM.

vt_maverick
01/28/2012, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear about everything Kate. Enjoy the drive and get some pics posted when you get home. :)

jeeperkate
01/29/2012, 01:10 PM
Well, I am home in Duluth, MN! The drive went great today, except that I didn't want to get the VX too salty and that was NOT an option today. The whole drive was wet salty roads. The oil total after 1200 miles was only about a half of a quart - not too bad I didn't think! The running total of mpg was between 16 and 18 the whole way - including when I had a wicked wind blowing so I was pretty happy with that as well.

So, I didn't take any pictures the first two days because of the incident - I was way too mentally/emotionally upset to concentration on doing something for myself, like taking pictures, no matter how simple the task was. However, I woke up this morning feeling a bit better and took out the camera for the VX's first snow fall :-)

Here she is in the parking lot with some fresh stuff!
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7642.jpg

Unfortunately, the fresh snow means SALT - here is how she looked when we got home -
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7648.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7647.jpg

This is after a nice bath. Happy Happy!
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7649.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7651.jpg

And, lastly here is a cool rock outcropping that I saw on the trip!
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7645.jpg

I know it seems lame to name the VX Black Betty, but I think that's it. My Honda is Black and she's called Mable. My Jeep is white and named Stella. The VX is Betty for short :-) I sing the song every time I step foot in the vehicle so I think the VX picked the name, quite frankly.

The VX goes to get tinted on Tuesday, hopefully, and then she will sit until spring so that she doesn't have to see any more road salt. Meanwhile I will collect the parts to take care of the window, headlight polishing, cladding refinishing, leather seat refinishing, etc. I go to Moab with my Jeep group in May (the week before the VXers go I think), so when I get back my concentration will be the VX.

I'm happy to be home and thankful that I arrived safely. I'm still mourning the loss of the man I didn't know, but it will get easier. I want to thank all of you for your help to get me to this point!! I appreciate the knowledge and friendship of this awesome VX group!

Vendetta
01/29/2012, 01:21 PM
Congrats again, Kate. Betty looks gorgeous already, and when you're done with all the cosmetics you're planning on, she'll look even better. Will you be adding a roof rack also?
-V

VXorado
01/29/2012, 01:28 PM

I go to Moab with my Jeep group in May (the week before the VXers go I think), so when I get back my concentration will be the VX.

Nice pin stripe :thumbup:

Take a 2 week Moab trip and meet the VX crew. You don't need the VX, we'll put up with your Jeep :)

jeeperkate
01/29/2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks V! I'm excited to get her all fixed up and looking pretty! :yesb: Jeeps are pretty too, but this VX takes the cake in Duluth if you ask me :p My Jeep is going to be jealous!

I do think eventually I will put a roof rack on the VX, but I'm not sure if that is going to be at the top of my priority list. I already own a YAKIMA rack for my Honda CR-V so likely that rack will fit the VX with a little modification. It would be REALLY nice if I can figure out a way to create feet on the VX that would match the feet on the CR-V so that I can go from one to the other seamlessly. I have a fabricator friend that is going to work with me on all the VX parts! Should be good! Thanks again.

jeeperkate
01/29/2012, 01:38 PM
Nice pin stripe :thumbup:

Take a 2 week Moab trip and meet the VX crew. You don't need the VX, we'll put up with your Jeep :)

You like that pin stripe? I think I am taking it off :p Not because of you :p ...because I'm not sure I like it. I was planning to take it off this summer, maybe it will grow on me before then! OR, maybe I will change it to a PINK stripe :dance:

HAHA - I would love to spend two weeks out there, but it was terribly hard to get one week off of work let alone two. Maybe next year my jeep group can go the same week the VXers go and we can all have a grand old time :) That would be fun!

Vendetta
01/29/2012, 01:48 PM
Personally, I think the roof rack really finishes off the VX very nicely.

...unlike that pinstripe that I bit my tongue to not mention earlier. I'm with you, kiddo. Ditch it. ;)

And why is it that everyone here but me seems to have a fabricator friend? So jealous.
-V

Ldub
01/29/2012, 02:19 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY...:yes:

But maybe extend your Jeep vaca by just a few days instead of a whole week...just in case you don't like us...:laughing:...as IF...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

SHE'S A BEAUTY...:thumbup:

And Black Betty is perfect...:thumbup:

As a MN saltmonger, I'm sure you gave her nether regions a good hosing too...ND doesn't use much salt, but I have to drive a few miles into MN every day...I H-8 roadsalt...:upsetgray

Glad the rest of your journey was uneventful & that you're coming to grips with the unfortunate choices made by another.

Seriously consider extending your stay in Moab...:yesgray:

Scott Larson
01/29/2012, 04:30 PM
Welcome home Kate and Betty! Sorry to hear of your unfortunate brush with death, stuff like that certainly puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I'm sure time will help to wash out the memory of your close encounter. Nice to see you wasted NO time in washing off the "White Curse", that stuff wreaks havoc with our formerly rust-free rides...Sweet looking VX!!:_beer:

VXorado
01/29/2012, 06:41 PM
You like that pin stripe? I think I am taking it off :p Not because of you :p ...because I'm not sure I like it. I was planning to take it off this summer, maybe it will grow on me before then! OR, maybe I will change it to a PINK stripe :dance:

I've just never seen a pin striped VX before and it doesn't look bad but I'm not sure if I like it either.

I support your decision to remove it ;)

VX KAT
01/29/2012, 06:52 PM
Glad to see you home safely. You've certainly been through a life changing event, hope it gets easier with time and reflection.

I also think the OEM roof rack (cross bars) flatters and completes the look on a VX because of their oval shape.
I think you and V are right....loose the pinstripe....never liked them on a VX...the lines just don't work for me. But if you do....def make it PINK!
I saw your jeep pics! ......Awesome!
And MDwyer was giving ME grief about MY pink stuff...(http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21872).....I only have one pink pirate kitty sticker...that's the only pink thing in/on my entire VX!.......but, er, um, um.... he didn't say P-U-R-P-L-E......:goof:...:slap:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/crawl4cure1.jpg

jeeperkate
01/29/2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone! The pin stripe may be removed on Tuesday by the same guy that is doing my tint, so that's a non-issue these as of right now! It has been decided :p

Kat - yeah, pink is kind of my thing. Here is a more recent picture of my jeep - new bumper (my fabricator friend made it for me) and a pink logo on the front. The boys in my Jeep club had pink logo stickers made just for me :yesgray: They support my PINK addiction because they remember before I had pink on the Jeep - I used to get asked all the time if it was my "boyfriend's Jeep." I always said "hell no, he couldn't handle this one." So, I put the pink on there and rarely do I get questions anymore :bgwb: Now I just get the guys drooling over it and saying "that's yours?!?!" haha - funny! :p

I expect to do the same to the VX - PINK ALL AROUND!! just kidding :) (although Betty will probably sport the NSW logo in PINK as well)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_5577.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_5579.jpg

JoFotoz
01/29/2012, 07:52 PM
I've gotta 2nd/3rd..whatever, those that suggest you 'stretch' your jeep week in Moab a couple of days....if at all possible!

You'll see more and varied VX's in one place than you'll ever see....
...get some great ideas for modifying yours.

Plus, you'll meet a great group of crazies...
... and put some faces to names!

Just'do it :thumbup:

Jo

jeeperkate
02/01/2012, 05:06 AM
Well, I tried to take some extra time off for an extended stay in Moab and it was a big NO from the boss :( Maybe next year!

Good news last night, I ripped around in 4-lo and NO PROBLEMS. A little clunk into 4-lo (just like the Jeep) and then off to the crawling she went :) I have NO idea what the Check Engine light was about on my trip home, but I keep trying to make it come on again and can't do it...that's a good thing I guess :p

The VX goes in for tint and pin stripe removal today! The guy couldn't get me in yesterday, so today is the day. If I get her back during day-light I will snap a few pics and get them on here.

Yesterday, I ordered the window bracket/clip fix (thanks Sue), Showroom New (not sure if I am going to go dark charcoal or full black just yet), and a Mother's headlight restoration kit. I know my gaskets around my lights need to be reattached so I am probably going to take the lights off and take care of them in the house while it is COLD outside :smilewink

YAY! I took my Jeep friend/fabricator friend for a ride in the VX last night and he LOVED it!! He was very impressed, asking questions the whole time and saying "this is awesome!" :dan_ban: <- I love this manner!

jeeperkate
02/01/2012, 05:42 AM
Before I left for work I posted ^^^

I have about a 7 minute drive to work in the morning - 4 minutes on the freeway. So, this morning I pull off the freeway and I have three stop signs to go through... I get to the third stop sign and the VX dies. Immediately after dying, first the battery light pops on, then the oil light pops on, and then the Check Engine light pops on. I pull off to the side and put it in park and it immediately starts up again without a fight. (this is the exact same thing that happened on my trip) NO check engine light. I get to work and notice that the idle is a bit high.

During the trip home from GA my idle was funky a couple of times, once reving to 2500 rpm in neutral, another time reving between 700 - 1200 rmp in Park.

Do you think that I have a TPS problem, or is it something else? Is there a way the battery cables could be shorting out? I feel like maybe I am grounding out. Or, I noticed that the padding on the inside of the hood is chewed up and hanging a bit over the battery - could that be the problem??

Thanks!

Vendetta
02/01/2012, 06:57 AM
Hi Kate,

I had the exact same problem - high idle, racing RPM, stalling, etc. etc. just like you describe, and this lasted for a while as the troubleshooting continued.

In the end, all it took was giving a real good cleaning to the part I've circled in this pic. It's some valve that regulates air mixture or some such voodoo about which I know shamefully little. Some gunk builds up in there and the plunger gets caught up. Take that sucker apart, give it an carburetor-cleaner enema, and hopefully you'll be good to go!

Let us know!
-V

JAMAS
02/01/2012, 07:59 AM
Hi Kate,

I had the exact same problem - high idle, racing RPM, stalling, etc. etc. just like you describe, and this lasted for a while as the troubleshooting continued.

In the end, all it took was giving a real good cleaning to the part I've circled in this pic. It's some valve that regulates air mixture or some such voodoo about which I know shamefully little. Some gunk builds up in there and the plunger gets caught up. Take that sucker apart, give it an carburetor-cleaner enema, and hopefully you'll be good to go!

Let us know!
-V
Anyone know what that part is and if its inexpensive to just replace?

What are the steps to remove it? (other than the obvious)

jeeperkate
02/01/2012, 08:08 AM
Anyone know what that part is and if its inexpensive to just replace?

What are the steps to remove it? (other than the obvious)

The exact questions I was going to ask!

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 09:53 AM
Happened upon this when looking for something else...thought I'd post it....
TITLE: Rough Engine Idling or Engine Stalling
It's page 6A-6 in the Workshop manual:
(the nice table format didn't copy into this post...go to the original...)

6A–6 ENGINE MECHANICAL
Rough Engine Idling or Engine Stalling
Condition Possible cause Correction
Trouble in fuel injection system Idle air control valve defective Replace
Throttle shutting off incomplete Correct or replace
Throttle position sensor circuit open
or shorted
Correct or replace
Fuel injector circuits open or shorted Correct or replace
Fuel injectors damaged Replace
Fuel pump relay defective Replace
Mass Air flow (MAF) Sensor circuit
open or poor connections
Correct or replace
MAF Sensor defective Replace
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
Sensor circuit open or poor
connections
Correct or replace
MAP Sensor defective Replace
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT)
Sensor circuit open or poor
connections
Correct or replace
ECT Sensor defective Replace
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor
circuit open or poor connections
Correct or replace
IAT sensor defective Replace
Knock Sensor (KS) cable broken or
poor connections
Correct or replace
KS defective Replace
KS Module circuits open or ground Correct or replace
KS Module defective Replace
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) circuit
open or shorted
Correct or replace
VSS defective Replace
Trouble in emission control system Powertrain Control Module defective Replace
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
Valve circuit open or poor
connections
Correct or replace
EGR Valve faulty Replace
Canister purge valve circuit open or
poor connections
Correct or replace
Canister purge valve defective Replace
Evaporative Emission Canister
Purge control valve defective
Replace
Trouble in ignition system Refer to “Hard Start”

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 09:56 AM
Hi Kate,

Let us know!
-V

Idle Air Control (IAC) perhaps? (page 6E-22 in Workshop Manual)

VXorado
02/01/2012, 12:38 PM
Idle Air Control (IAC) perhaps? (page 6E-22 in Workshop Manual)

Thats it.

I pulled the IAC a couple years ago and cleaned out all the carbon. Its worth cleaning even if you don't have issues, I was surprised much it was clogged up. I believe its a $30 part if you need to replace it.

jeeperkate
02/01/2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you for everyone's help. I am putting in a new IAC and TPS within the next few weeks. I am picking them up tonight. We are also going to stick a code reader on there and see what it comes up with.

PS - The windows are tinted and the pinstripe is removed!:p

Vendetta
02/01/2012, 02:14 PM
Thank you for everyone's help. I am putting in a new IAC and TPS within the next few weeks. I am picking them up tonight. We are also going to stick a code reader on there and see what it comes up with.

PS - The windows are tinted and the pinstripe is removed!:p

No problem, let us know if it solves the issue! Meanwhile, keep on eye on those revs. Betty might chomp at the bit at red lights or in traffic if she's idling too high. Not good for your brakes, transmission and temperature - or your bumper if she breaks free. :(

As for the tint and stripe? Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
-V

jeeperkate
02/01/2012, 02:38 PM
I just had to get home from work - here they are!

Before:

After - 20% in the rear, the fronts will get 40% once I fix the passenger window:
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IMG_7653.jpg

:dance:

samneil2000
02/01/2012, 02:58 PM
If the IAC doesnt fix the issue, I had the exact same problem. Driving along and the VX would just die. Turn the key and it would start back up. Mine ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. There are numerous threads here detailing the replacement process. It's at the rear of the engine, but up high. The hardest part is reaching it, and you would need a shortened allen head to get to it. I believe it's about a 50 dollar part.
All that said, hopefully you'll have your issue resolved with the IAC. Best of luck!

jeeperkate
02/04/2012, 09:07 AM
Well, I finally pulled the code from my trip home and it appears it was the MAF that caused the CEL while I was dinking around in the slushy parking lot. I am replacing the TPS and IAC today because I may as well start there for the stalling issue, and I already have the parts. I will try to clean the MAF, and if all that doesn't help then I will try the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

What cleaner do you guys recommend for the MAF? I know it has to be sensor specific, but any one brand that you recommend?

I also have to fix one of the feet that support the hood. The hood doesn't pop like it should, and it wasn't lining up with the fenders, so I adjusted the one foot that would adjust but the other one seems decayed and won't' adjust. I'll figure that little bugger out!

Other than that, things are going good! Love this truck!:yesb:

Ldub
02/04/2012, 09:19 AM
Well, I finally pulled the code from my trip home and it appears it was the MAF that caused the CEL while I was dinking around in the slushy parking lot. I am replacing the TPS and IAC today because I may as well start there for the stalling issue, and I already have the parts. I will try to clean the MAF, and if all that doesn't help then I will try the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

What cleaner do you guys recommend for the MAF? I know it has to be sensor specific, but any one brand that you recommend?

I also have to fix one of the feet that support the hood. The hood doesn't pop like it should, and it wasn't lining up with the fenders, so I adjusted the one foot that would adjust but the other one seems decayed and won't' adjust. I'll figure that little bugger out!

Other than that, things are going good! Love this truck!:yesb:

CRC MAF cleaner...& I think there might be a couple other brands, but make sure it's MAF specific...:yesgray:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&tok=2lgmVDM2ZjwxIgdxNTn88g&cp=5&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=maf+cleaner&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=947&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16599276143063779391&sa=X&ei=8G0tT_mEEcqW2QWbjKHBAg&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAQ

jeeperkate
02/04/2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks LDub! I will!

I fixed the feet for the hood, the old TPS looked good but I still replaced it, and here is what the IAC looked like old vs. new. (I know the pic is blurry, but you get the idea) Hopefully the change out helps the stalling issue, but we will see.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/jeeperkate/IAC.jpg

I'll see if I can't pic up some MAF cleaner before the day is out and take care of that too. I also changed the Air filter in the CR-V today...it was feeling lonely since I have been paying so much attention to the VX :bwgy:

Ldub
02/04/2012, 10:45 AM
I also changed the Air filter in the CR-V today...it was feeling lonely since I have been paying so much attention to the VX :bwgy:

You're a good mom Kate...:_wrench:.:thumbup:

Vendetta
02/04/2012, 05:28 PM
Kate, remember to clean receiving socket for the IAC also. I watched my mechanic literally douse it in carburetor cleaner.
-V

jeeperkate
02/05/2012, 01:55 PM
I'm on it - Thanks V! :bgwb:

The VX seems to be idling much better and I haven't had it stall out yet. That really doesn't mean anything though since I put 1500 miles on and it only stalled twice.

I did a little testing on the passenger window today and it appears the motor is in good shape as once the window is on track it has NO problem picking it up and putting it into its place. I taped it up again, but this time with BLACK duct tape...:p...maybe it won't be quite as noticeable. :o Hopefully once I get the new window bracket thing it will fix my problems! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I also have the Mother's headlight restoration kit in my possession, but that is going to have to wait until I get back from my Colorado snowboarding trip this week. :yesb:

WOO HOO! Lovin the VX! SO happy I bought it!

jeeperkate
02/07/2012, 04:09 PM
I got my window brackets in the mail today and my Showroom New yesterday!! Woo hoo! I still haven't decided if I want to go straight BLACK with the SN or if I want to go with a dark charcoal. A friend of mine put some Mother's Back to Black on the cladding, which FREAKED me out because I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how it would affect the cladding or if it would come off or change how the SN went on (he put it on when I wasn't around), and it looked pretty nice in that area. I just haven't quite decided yet if I want to go with the whole blacked out look :o

Now, to just find the time to fix / play :p Off to Vail in the morning ;Db;

VX KAT
02/07/2012, 04:52 PM
I got my window brackets in the mail today and my Showroom New yesterday!! Woo hoo! I still haven't decided if I want to go straight BLACK with the SN or if I want to go with a dark charcoal. A friend of mine put some Mother's Back to Black on the cladding, which FREAKED me out because I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how it would affect the cladding or if it would come off or change how the SN went on (he put it on when I wasn't around), and it looked pretty nice in that area. I just haven't quite decided yet if I want to go with the whole blacked out look :o

Just an FYI, another forum member (gergmon) came up to my house last year for us to apply the SN on his Ironman. He used only black but I recall him saying when it was all dry that it wasn't a true black, it was a bit more deep charcoal. I know most of the other VXers that used SN did just black, maybe some will chime in here and give you an opinion on the final color.

jeeperkate
02/07/2012, 08:36 PM
Just an FYI, another forum member (gergmon) came up to my house last year for us to apply the SN on his Ironman. He used only black but I recall him saying when it was all dry that it wasn't a true black, it was a bit more deep charcoal. I know most of the other VXers that used SN did just black, maybe some will chime in here and give you an opinion on the final color.

Hmmm...thanks for the info Kat. Definitely makes me think about going full black on the cladding. Hopefully someone chimes in with their experience!

Ldub
02/08/2012, 05:31 AM
A friend of mine put some Mother's Back to Black on the cladding, which FREAKED me out because I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how it would affect the cladding or if it would come off or change how the SN went on (he put it on when I wasn't around), and it looked pretty nice in that area.

Hmmm...thanks for the info Kat. Definitely makes me think about going full black on the cladding. Hopefully someone chimes in with their experience!

Be sure to clean & clean & clean & clean where the B2B was applied. IIRC, it's a silicone based product.

tom4bren
02/08/2012, 05:46 AM
IIRC B2B is a water based product. That's why it doesn't last very long. 1 washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid should remove it all (but will probably remove wax from painted areas too - so rewax after washing).

Meguires has out a similar product to B2B that probably is silicon based. It leaves a residue on paint & B2B does not.

Ldub
02/08/2012, 05:52 AM
IIRC B2B is a water based product. That's why it doesn't last very long. 1 washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid should remove it all (but will probably remove wax from painted areas too - so rewax after washing).

Meguires has out a similar product to B2B that probably is silicon based. It leaves a residue on paint & B2B does not.

Good catch...I shouldn't post before my second cup...:mbrasd:

tom4bren
02/08/2012, 05:56 AM

:)

Actually, water based prolly isn't really correct either. It may be parafin based. I'll have to check the ingredients on the bottle.

VX KAT
02/08/2012, 08:17 AM

2nd cup of what? :naughty: