PDA

View Full Version : HD Torsion Bars: Anyone tried them?

SilverBullet75
01/20/2012, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Has anyone used these torsion bars from Independent4x?

HD Torsion Bars - VX (https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1_12_23_30&products_id=86)

If so, what do you think of them?
Worth the money?

Ldub
01/20/2012, 05:04 PM
Hi,

Has anyone used these torsion bars from Independent4x?

HD Torsion Bars - VX (https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1_12_23_30&products_id=86)

If so, what do you think of them?
Worth the money?

I gots no personal experience widdum, but it may be worth a trip over to the planet, with a search, to get more opinions.

Ok...I did a little sleuthing...:rolleyesg

And found this (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=187472&postcount=50)...:fyi:

VXorado
01/20/2012, 06:40 PM
I believe they make our stiff suspension even stiffer. Bad on your back, good for getting some airtime in your VX and landing smoothly.

SilverBullet75
01/20/2012, 06:43 PM
Awesome.
That's what I was hoping to hear.
I just hate to spend that much, but I think he's right... it would make the ride/driving experience much better.

I've had experience with Porsche 914 torsion bars. Replaced the stock ones with "track" bars. Talk about stiff (in a good way)!

Thanks LDUB! I appreciate the help.

SilverBullet75
01/20/2012, 06:46 PM
I believe they make our stiff suspension even stiffer. Bad on your back, good for getting some airtime in your VX and landing smoothly.

That's what I'm hoping for. :)
The rear of mine is really stiff with the OME 919 springs. But the fronts are so cranked (to match the rear height) that when I hit a bump (like a speed bump), the un-sprung force really slaps hard when it springs... I have to be careful... It's more embarrassing than anything.
I want to match the feel of the rear to the front.

VXorado
01/20/2012, 06:56 PM
The rear of mine is really stiff with the OME 919 springs. But the fronts are so cranked (to match the rear height) that when I hit a bump (like a speed bump), the un-sprung force really slaps hard when it springs... I have to be careful... It's more embarrassing than anything.

I hear ya, The IFS doesn't seem to be able to control heavier tires. Its starting to wear on me & might push me into another project :).

VXorado
01/22/2012, 09:37 PM
Here's another option...

Coilovers :)
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee487/dkperfekt/IMG_0079.jpg
The pic is from a Rodeo on the planet & here's the link:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50537

RabidPony
01/23/2012, 01:14 AM
Really cool and it looks super simple too. Simple is good. Am I wrong or would a shock with more than 7 inches of travel would be mo' better for of road use. No? I'm not really sure as most of the stuff I build is for track use and is pretty short travel. Also, those welds aren't real pretty, hopefully he got good, even penetration.

vt_maverick
01/23/2012, 06:51 AM
That's what she said... ;)

SilverBullet75
01/31/2012, 12:28 PM
Are there any other companies that make the HD torsion bars for the VX (other than Independent4x)?

My VX is out of commission right now, needing suspension/alignment work... It'd be nice to do the torsion bars and the rest of the stuff at the same time.
Save $$ on alignments...

Thanks

vt_maverick
01/31/2012, 06:36 PM

My VX is out of commission right now, needing suspension/alignment work... It'd be nice to do the torsion bars and the rest of the stuff at the same time.
Save $$ on alignments...

So did it get a lot worse or are you just being cautious? That last post is a little ominous...

SilverBullet75
02/01/2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry,
I combined another thread's discussion to this one.

Here's the update:

I want and intend to buy/install the HD Torsion Bars, but Indy4x is out of stock and I'm on the waiting list now. (couple of months til next batch)

In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of other upgrades, including:
- R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors (installed)
- R1 Concepts ceramic pads (installed)
- Front wheel bearing re-pack (done)
- Superwinch manual hubs (purchased, pending install)
- NEW CVs/Axle shafts, w/out cups (purchased from Napa, pending install)
- TOD Off-switch (purchased resistors and stock hazard switch, pending install)
- Diff Drop brackets and cross-member (purchased from Joe D., pending installation)

So, after I finished the brakes/wheel bearings, some buds and I went off roading (just a dirt/rock trail... nothing crazy) and the driver's side upper a-arm mount (alignment shim bolts) came out about 3/4 of the way. Made for a very interesting drive home. Touch the brakes and the left wheel flops right and sends me to the next lane.
So, needless to say, it's outta commission for right now.

I took the wheel off and found the issue when I got home.
I thought I could just tighten the bolts and go...but the left bolt jammed with 2 mm left to go. The right bolt worked fine.
So now I'm trying to get the left bolt OUT... it's stuck. Can't even impact it out. Won't budge.
I'm going to cut it off on Thursday.

Joe Darlington is sending me a set of hardware so I can replace the bent/cut junk.

My original statement from the last post was that I had hoped to have the HD Torsion bars added to this whole project so I only have to re-align one time. Now I have to do it twice. :upsetwgra

Oh well.