PDA

View Full Version : Cost estimate to fix a binding window ???

joe-yamma
10/07/2003, 05:56 AM
I am looking at a VX that I may purchase today.
It is a 1999 Ironman with 32,000 miles.

The only issue with this VX is the drivers window is binding and comes out of the track. The current owner said you have to "guide it" with your hand to keep it "on track."

My question: Has anyone paid to fix this or does anyone know what most dealers will charge to fix?

I am going to ask the current owner to either fix it prior to me purchasing it or knocking off the cost to fix.

Thanks !!!

Joe (hopefully future VXer)

VehiX
10/07/2003, 06:53 AM
Don't bother with the dealer or former owner. Use the window issue to get the cost of the VX lower and then fix it yourself. Print out this link and keep it handy.

Be patient and take your time and your binding window issue will be fixed PERMANENTLY!!!

:)

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002814.html

P.S

This fix is FREE!!!

joe-yamma
10/07/2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info !!!
I saw that link before from a search on "power windows" but I didn't know if that was the only window problem.

FYI - I called a local Isuzu dealer (Bowser in Pittsburgh) and the service guy was very helpful. He said he hasn't seen that problem personally on the 3 or 3 VX's that come into his shop, but he said I'm probably looking at $105 for labor + parts if any are needed.

Hopefully I'll be a VXer by the end of the day today!

Joe

Moncha
10/07/2003, 08:32 AM
You can find that thread here http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1180 in the How To's section along with lots of others too.

joe-yamma
10/07/2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks!
The current owner is going to get the window fixed prior to my purchase.
I'll post up a pic of the VX when I get her !!!

Joe

Heraclid
10/07/2003, 02:41 PM
Like has been said, do it yourself. I did a few weeks ago and my only problem was that I widened it too much, so just don't get crazy with it. Mine are working with the fix and some lithium grease. My dealer wanted around $300 to do the same thing, and you can do it in 20 minutes for free, or maybe just a couple bucks for the grease. Get the kind you spray - same kind of container with straw that you'd see WD-40 in, but lasts longer than silicone lubricant or WD-40.

Moncha
10/07/2003, 04:43 PM
Make sure to clarify though.. Use the lithium grease for the metal to metal parts and use silicone lubricant for the glass to rubber and rubber to rubber parts.. You'll ruin rubber with lithium grease.