PDA

View Full Version : Using a lot of oil

nrogers
01/10/2012, 07:40 PM
I bought my 1999 VX used about a 2 years ago. It's got almost 100,000 miles. Not too long after I bought it I realized it was using about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles or so. It is not leaking at all and I know it's burning the oil because the end of the tail pipe has black stuff on it. I recently started putting Motor Honey in it and it has seemed to help slow the oil usage down. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

VXR
01/10/2012, 09:32 PM
This may help...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17228

MSHardeman
01/11/2012, 10:01 AM
I have a 2000 and I have about the same amount of oil consumption as you. Our engine's are just notorious for burning oil. I think the prevailing opinion is that the rings on the piston's just don't seal to the cylinder quite like they should. If you clean your EGR, replace the PCV every so often, clean the tubes heading to both, and clean the throttle body that helps to slow oil consumption down (not stop it), but only until things get gummed up again.

Just keep an eye on your oil level, and everything should be OK. I check, and add oil, at every gas fill up and have been since I bought her with 35,000 miles on the clock (she has 118,000 now).

VX KAT
01/11/2012, 06:05 PM
Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

This is probably the most discussed issue with the VX, because it's such a common problem. VXR attached that oil consumption survey, that's a real good place to start so you get an idea of what owners are seeing.
Here's a collection of threads over the past few years discussing it, giving theories/opinions for what the cause is, etc....

It's a lot of info, but worth reading through. Good luck to you.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=216316&postcount=7

VXorado
01/14/2012, 07:36 AM
I'm sure this is listed in one of VXkat's links but I'll just mention it anyways.

Seafoam treatment in the oil seemed to help my oil consumption a bit. Also heard 0w-30 oil can help clear clogged piston rings. The thick motor honey treatment is more for engines with leaky seals and may actually be contributing to the clogged piston rings (if thats your problem).