PDA

View Full Version : To chat or not to chat?

Moncha
01/10/2012, 04:48 PM
I'm working on the upgrade to the forum and am considering certain features. The chat section is one that is on the chopping block. I really haven't seen it used since around 2009 or so save for a few curious folks.

So, should it get the ax, or should it get a reprieve? I am considering other addons so we may not be completely chatless in the future.

Ldub
01/10/2012, 05:06 PM
I'm working on the upgrade to the forum and am considering certain features. The chat section is one that is on the chopping block. I really haven't seen it used since around 2009 or so save for a few curious folks.

So, should it get the ax, or should it get a reprieve? I am considering other addons so we may not be completely chatless in the future.

As we all rise through the experience levels that this site provides us, we find out who is of the same mind set, & naturally, whether from face to face, or pm, aquire each others phone #'s/contact info. Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.

I will say, that I've had some very enjoyable chats on this site, but my typing abilities don't allow me to respond as quickly as I'd need to, to stay current with the topic at hand...:mbrasd:

VXorado
01/10/2012, 05:08 PM
I vote to kill it but it would be nice to see a new option if possible. A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.

I private chat system like FB could be interesting where a window pops up on the bottom of the screen with users who are online.

Vendetta
01/10/2012, 08:02 PM
Just curious here, but is there a downside to keeping it, and if so, what is it?

Riff Raff
01/10/2012, 11:40 PM
A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.

Oh yes; we noticed you were there, but we deliberately didn't want to chat with you!!!

:laughing:

tom4bren
01/11/2012, 04:16 AM
Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.

X2. I can see where others might like it but it just ain't my cup-o-tea.

A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.

Same-O. The other day, I was talking to myself ... & realized nobody was listening.

Scott Harness
01/11/2012, 05:05 AM
As we all rise through the experience levels that this site provides us, we find out who is of the same mind set, & naturally, whether from face to face, or pm, aquire each others phone #'s/contact info. Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.

I will say, that I've had some very enjoyable chats on this site, but my typing abilities don't allow me to respond as quickly as I'd need to, to stay current with the topic at hand...:mbrasd:

X2

Osteomata
01/11/2012, 03:04 PM

Some time back I entred, then posted a new thread saying something like "Join me in chat". Had like six people in there, probably a record. Got some good info on wheels and preservation.

From some other sites I participate in I find that the usefulness of the chat function is very limited right up until you need it. Stated differently, yeah, I/we won't use it much, but every now an d then something comes along that makes it really cool to have. Just to totally make up a scenario, imagine that some new series premiers on HBO and the lead character drives a VX. It might be coll to get in chat and have a distance drinking game, take a sip every time "our" truck appears.

Somewhat related example: Couple of years ago South Park did an episode focused on World of Warcraft. In the chat room at the official site, it was something to behold: near total silence during the actual showing, then explosions of comment during each commercial. Kinda cool.

So unless there is some sort of opportunity cost to keeping it that we are not aware of, keep it. Not only that, make the link more prominent, and schedule/pimp chat events. /2 cents.

VXorado
01/13/2012, 05:03 PM
I think it would be a great function to keep if it was more noticeable. I just realized someone could be in a chat right now and I wouldn't have noticed (been on the site for an hour). Looks like most members want to kill it anyways.