PDA

View Full Version : What Color to Paint Humpty?

TexVeX
01/05/2012, 01:50 PM
Last year's thread about it getting wrecked is here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21175&highlight=totaled

THIS IS MY UPDATE THREAD... :)

From now on when I write about getting it fixed back to useable condition, I plan to put it here.

We are ordering the doors finally. And its time for me to make up my mind what color to paint after repairs are done.
I'm seriously thinking about the Orange Copper Mica like WyldWeasel had done way back when. Who remembers that and ever saw it in person?

I'm also considering the Dragon green color though I am not sure why. And i have always loved the Proton, but am not sure its "me".
I could stay ebony, but I am afraid the portions we don't do, you know - the unscratched panels, may not match up perfectly after all the age and use.

And what color is this one, BTW?
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=127912&postcount=40

Help me decide if you wanna. I'm really liking the Copper though.
What do y'all think?

tom4bren
01/05/2012, 01:53 PM
Peacock Blue

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15537/sort/4/ppuser/3566/sl/s

tom4bren
01/05/2012, 01:55 PM
And what color is this one, BTW?
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=127912&postcount=40

I'm not sure but it looks like that one is Foxfire with a pearl overcoat.

Riff Raff
01/05/2012, 02:36 PM
I've always had a hankering towards the Champagne color, specifically "Gold Mist Metallic" from the 2012 GM Cadillac line. This color is extremely elegant looking and would look awesome on a VX, especially against the contrasting cladding.

My other color choice would be 2006 MINI Cooper "Purple Haze". A deep dark purple color with pearl.

Both of these colors are absolutely breathtaking in bright sunshine!!!

:bgwb:

Triathlete
01/05/2012, 03:16 PM
The linked photo is a foxfire satin.
I have seen WW's in person when she was in Moab. It looked really nice plus keeps it in the Isuzu family of colors.
As far as other colors it depends on your interior color...are you gray/black or red/black? The red/black limits your choices a bit more...of course you can always dye the leather. The copper goes nicely with the red interior by the way.

TexVeX
01/05/2012, 03:40 PM
Mine's Red/black so peacock blue, though sharp looking, would not go well with the interior, And thinking about it now, I guess green might not also. Purple haze sounded great but when I looked it up it looks pretty blue. Blue is an ok color, but I'm guessing its not for me either... Stay Ebony, or go Copper, or keep thinking... Well, I have a week or few. No rush. heheh

Mile High VX
01/05/2012, 06:23 PM
The Chrysler Copperhead Orange that they used on the speical edition Viper is one of my favorites...would be awesome on the VX!

Riff Raff
01/05/2012, 08:02 PM
Purple haze sounded great but when I looked it up it looks pretty blue.

TexVex-- The only true way to evaluate 2006 MINI Cooper "Purple Haze" is to actually see it in person on a MINI with the naked eye preferably under bright sunshine!!! A computer screen image does not do this color any justice. Once you see this color in person, it will blow your mind as it changes color from different angles due to the pearl in the paint. It will look solid Black during nightime, but sparkles a mind-boggling deep purple metallic during bright sunshine with ever-changing hues due to the pearl. It is the most desired color of the 2006 MINI Cooper (just ask your local MINI dealership).

Try to find a MINI Dealership or private owner that has the "Purple Haze" color on an actual 2006 MINI. Once you see it in person on an actual MINI, I bet you'll change your mind. It is definately NOT blue, but rather a true deep dark plum purple with metallic glitter sparkles.

While you are at it, drive over to your local Cadillac Dealer and take a peek at "Gold Mist Metallic" (Champagne) on a new 2012 Escalade. It's another mind blowing color in bright sunshine that will really contrast well with the body cladding of the VX and make it look like a million bucks.

TexVeX
01/05/2012, 09:48 PM
I'd love to see one in person, or the Cadillac as well, but nothing is near here that I know of with good stuff like that. I'll check though anyway. Cause what I do I know about local car dealerships anyway? Heheh ;) But I'm thinking I'd have to go to Dallas or one of the burbs to get see such stuff. But Maybe I will get to go that way before I have to decide.

Riff Raff
01/06/2012, 01:06 AM
But I'm thinking I'd have to go to Dallas or one of the burbs to get see such stuff. But Maybe I will get to go that way before I have to decide.

Good enough; that's all I ask. Bottom Line; I want you to make the most educated decision BEFORE you pull the trigger using your own naked eye in real life bright sunshine as the final judge, and not based upon some computer-screen image (which can be a misrepresentation of color).

I'd hate to have you pick an alternate color, and then you see these other two(2) suggested colors (Purple Haze & Gold Mist Metallic) on the street someday and say "Oh; Damn, look at that color!!!". Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

JAMAS
01/06/2012, 06:08 AM
Matte Black....

I believe BMW calls theirs Frozen Black.....its pretty sweet.

Mile High VX
01/06/2012, 06:48 AM
I'd love to see one in person, or the Cadillac as well, but nothing is near here that I know of with good stuff like that. I'll check though anyway. Cause what I do I know about local car dealerships anyway? Heheh ;) But I'm thinking I'd have to go to Dallas or one of the burbs to get see such stuff. But Maybe I will get to go that way before I have to decide.

Only one on auto trader within 100 miles of Dallas and its here:

Sports & Imports
Get this seller's phone number

214-566-1411
Blake Bogard

1212 Commerce
Plano, TX 75093

samneil2000
01/06/2012, 09:01 AM
I'm a huge fan of the copper color. I could see my VX being that color.

tom4bren
01/06/2012, 09:48 AM
Caution though: Those 'pearled' colors are quite expensive. The Chamelion colors are even more.

TexVeX
01/06/2012, 10:41 AM
Plano is closer to me than Dallas. Yay.

Well, the BF ordered the doors, he actually got black. wow. And the fender hes waiting on hearing about is also black. Still, there are a lot of scrapes on the rest of it from the rollover. Some sort of painting will have to be done. Should I give up on changing the color or give in to my dream I always had of repainting?

samneil2000
01/06/2012, 12:00 PM
Probably cheaper to leave it black. I remember money being a concern. You also have to worry about door jams, fire wall, etc etc if you change colors.

circmand
01/06/2012, 12:04 PM
Cheapest route is keeping it the same color or a shade or two darker. That way the door jambs and under the carpet do not need done. Also you need less coats than you do if you go lighter than original. If you are keeping it long term the extra cost might be worth it to you to have the color you want. However if you can see yourself selling it choose original. Face it with the crash on the title a new paint color will make no difference in the value

TexVeX
01/06/2012, 02:36 PM
Is the crash on the title? I didn't turn it in on insurance. But I never wanna sell anyway.

Triathlete
01/06/2012, 03:28 PM
Was there a police report written?

Riff Raff
01/06/2012, 07:10 PM
Is the crash on the title? I didn't turn it in on insurance. But I never wanna sell anyway.

Highly unlikely, if there was no insurance or police notification. To be sure-- do a CARFAX report on your own VIN of your own VX. If it don't show up on the official CARFAX report, then you're good to go with no worries and your title remains clean.

TexVeX
01/07/2012, 03:03 PM
No police report. I landed in a ditch and a friend came and turned it over and towed it home with his truck.

vt_maverick
01/07/2012, 03:14 PM
IMHO if enough panels need to be fixed a repaint might be a better investment, especially if you'd prefer another color to black. Then again it depends on how thorough you want your repaint to be - if you just paint the exterior panels it might not be that bad, but if you were to paint the door jams, engine bay, etc. it could get WAY expensive.

TexVeX
01/16/2012, 07:00 PM
Well, he's saying he can only do same color cheaply enough for us. OR if I wanted OD Green, on all of it, that would be cheap, he has loads of that in his shop (the guy doing it for us). I'm not big on OD green for my VX, but I am now considering another idea I once had. Paint the doors white like that police vehicross, and maybe the roof, like the toyota land cruisers? and get an emblem for my door similar to the geek squad emblem but for something I am crazy about and represent for. Tell you what maybe next time I check in. lol

TexVeX
01/17/2012, 03:47 PM
No... Y'all would laugh at my idea for the emblem. So if I go that route I will just do it first and ask forgiveness later. Someone here always says that right?... that its better to ask forgiveness than permission, or in this case, than to ask for approval. lol

tom4bren
01/18/2012, 03:47 AM
Paint the doors white like that police vehicross, and maybe the roof, like the toyota land cruisers? and get an emblem for my door

You don't have permission AND you won't be forgiven!!!:slap:

JK - it's yours ... do what you must.:)

Riff Raff
01/18/2012, 06:05 AM
You don't have permission AND you won't be forgiven!!!:slap:

x2. Another good way to judge people's opinion is to look at the "Views versus the Replies" status (shown on the homepage heading before clicking on the thread link). This means other people have looked/read this thread, but have intentionally decided not to reply with a comment. Most people don't make a comment if they have something negative to say and/or disagree with the thread (.......like your Parents said-- "If you have nothing nice to say; then say nothing").

So, let's see-- your rating for this thread is 380 Views versus 25 Replies. This means at the very best with all positive comments, you have a 6.57% Approval Rating with your idea among other VX'ers here on VX.Info. Hmmm, not too good.

:freek:

tom4bren
01/18/2012, 08:15 AM
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure my offset got even less than 6.57% approval rating ... & I haven't lost a single moment of sleep over it.:)

TexVeX
01/18/2012, 09:32 PM
I usually view the non-commenters as completely indifferent.
Either way, I may be having to keep it black for now, but it may still be in need of a repaint soon to look its best.

JoFotoz
01/18/2012, 10:15 PM
Riff, isnt there is a basic flaw in your premiss...?

So, let's see-- your rating for this thread is 380 Views versus 25 Replies. This means at the very best with all positive comments, you have a 6.57% Approval Rating with your idea among other VX'ers here on VX.Info. Hmmm, not too good.

In that your reasoning assumes unique views...
....and doesnt factor in 2nd,3rd, 4th etc "views" by same individual
who has already replied.

:_thinking

Jo