PDA

View Full Version : Lifted VX feedback

WormGod
10/06/2003, 09:56 AM
To all of those lifted VX owners, I need some input on your opinion of how it is.

What height did you gain and was it the Calmini kit?

What size wheels and tires are you running with this lift? Did you have any trimming to do?

Any other additions like sway bars and aftermarket shocks?

How is your handling?

Did you have to do any other modding like shimming cladding or steering adjustments?

If you have the S/C, do you feel it is a MUST to help turn the larger meats?

My curiosity is swaying into lifting, but I want to hear from the lifting VX pioneers first. Talk me into it. ;)

Triathlete
10/06/2003, 10:13 AM
Wormgod,
I lifted my VX (and others have done the same) using the OME912 springs and cranking the torsion bars (also flipped the upper ball joints to allow better alighnment). This gives close to 3" of lift. I am using the stock shocks and there are no other suspension mods. I am running 265/75/16 tires on stock rims. The tires are about 31". However I plan on going a bit bigger when they wear out and get replaced! No trimming was needed. The stock motor I feel has enough juice to get the job done. Of course you can never have enough in some cases so if your wallet allows go Super Charged. You will notice a little differance in handling due to the higher center of gravity. Acceleration suffers a little due to the weight and diameter of the tires. None of these effect it enough to make me wish I hadn't lifted it. I do enough off roading where as the positives of the lift FAR out weigh the negatives.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tonka
10/06/2003, 10:55 AM
Finally!
A lifted roll call post (kinda of).

I have had my lift for only about 4-5 months. I love it!

I did the 912 Old Man Emu (OME) springs and torsion bars. I measured before and after and got 2.5 inches of lift.

I am running 285/75/16 (32.8") Goodyear MT/R's on stock rims. The 33" mudders look awesome on the VX.

I am using stock rims ('99) so that the tires fit. With aftermarket rims more trimming might be needed. Very little trimming was needed up front to fit using stock rims. None needed in the back.

No after market shocks, but i should get some anyway because the originals are wearing out. No extra hardwear.

Handling is NOT as great, but not bad. Your gas mileage suffers too.

I haven't had a chance to use them off road yet. :( I will say that if you think you got stares before you will a lot more when you get the lift.

Green Dragon
10/06/2003, 12:06 PM
Unless you are considering going off road. I would not lift it. I am configured same as Triathlete with Front & Rear sway bar removed as well. My tires are BFG MTS
When I am driving through the mountains ( paved roads) I sure miss the great handling of the OEM configuration & I have power to burn but I have to let up as I just can't power into the turns & hold the road like I did before lift etc.

WormGod
10/07/2003, 07:30 AM
Good call Green Dragon. Little to no offroading here. I have to travel hours just to get somewhere to see anything but asphalt. Thing is, I was hoping something like this might sway me into more traveling too. I may actually go somewhere where I can pitch a tent and do some mudding. I do follow your point though. If I only do it "occasionally", it may not be worth it for all the city driving I do.

In all, I don't drive like a bat out of h3ll so I wouldnt worry about turns too much.

AH.... what to do, what to do....

Bantan
10/07/2003, 07:37 AM
Bro,
I like your ride just the way it is.:thumbup:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/07/2003, 06:37 PM
I have been contemplating doing a lift too as I've done it to my '79 Bronco and my '95 Grand Cherokee and My brother has a nice lifted '95 Ford Ranger. I've made copies of Triathletes excellent post with pics on doing the OME spring lift/torson bar adj/ball-joint flip for future reference. After alot of reflection on this I've come to the conclusion that I love the VX for merging the two worlds of being a 4X4 sports car of sorts. Lifting will (for me) diminish the sports car aspect That I like for now. So I've decided to go Baxman's route and am planning on putting his size/brand tires and rims on my VX. I am tossing which rim style to go with...and am leaning now towards his Nitro wheels....hate to be a copy-cat but I really like those wheels!!! Also worry about voiding warranty by lifting....probably lift it a few more years
down the road. Also not keen on the stress that seems to be on the CV joints/boots. Think that perhaps dropping the front diff with spacers and/or brackets as some have mentioned to relieve some of the stress on the CV and it's boot is the way to go.

For now I think Baxman's look will suit me fine!!!

Dallas4u
10/07/2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
For now I think Baxman's look will suit me fine!!!

Speaking of Bax, where's he been?

WormGod
10/08/2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Bantan
Bro,
I like your ride just the way it is.:thumbup:

Ya, I think I will take your word for it. I talked to a few people around my way about it (who all have lifted vehicles of SOME sort) and they thought I was insane.

Guess that means I need to buy another one now. One with this more stock lift, and the other, with some tig old bitties!

AREA 51
10/08/2003, 09:46 AM
Or, you could pioneer that dual mode air spring system!:eek:

BBVX
10/09/2003, 06:37 PM
One thing I'm not sure anyone has addressed so far was lifting the VX and keeping the stock tires.

I have the same lift everyone else has mentioned, but only use the 33s for off-roading and in the winter. This way, I don't have to lose the sports-car-like feel during the summer, it handles the same as before. And in the winter, the BFG MTs handle wonderfully in the snow due to the larger voids. Get a roof rack for the full-sized spare and you've got the best of both worlds. :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p06b7e887d34eb8345e4a4cbc6d4d17dc/fc4e7f9c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid50/pecb9319c5168fcd4da62a62d7d416dc1/fca985eb.jpg

Brian

14erclimber
10/11/2003, 06:12 PM
MY VX gets a healthy dose of 4x4 roads as I make my way to trailheads to climb 14ers twice a week.

I have one thing to say. CRAWL! The VX will crawl around on rocks in stock 18" form all day long. I have been on some pretty hardcore, backcountry roads in my VX and it is definately worthy.

You ever tighten your face up and cringe at the scraping you might hear only to have clean sailing past a rough section? I do it all the time and the VX just crawls over the rocks (picking a nice line is essential)

The VX is also very small. This allows for a great choice of lines up the harsh stuff. I have done miles and miles of slow climbing over very harsh rocks. The VX in 4LOW seems to suck it up without a care. In reality I think it sort of likes it. I think my milage actually likes it as well.

If I was to lift my VX... and I have certainly wanted to, it would almost be for look appeal rather than for 4wheelin'. If you want to get super-swordy angular, go for a lift and do it right. Then, go find the terrain that will really test what you have.

I do miss my '76 FJ40 with 35's. The only reason I do is that I would inform passengers to tighten up the kidney belt and hang on. After that it would be a 40 mph bouncing rampage up the craziest terrain. It is the type of terrain and exposure that can make an uninclined passenger puke on the spot. (I have seen it twice) The FJ40 is as close to a tank as I have ever seen. A very fast moving tank on rough climbs if that is your mission. I heard a wheel bearing explode like a shotgun only to drive it for 3000 miles before I replaced it. The bearing was in pieces upon removal. The FJ40 did not care one bit. What a front end.... the entire ball-wipe, mega joint system is incredible.

The VX in stock form is not about that. It is about the slow speed crawl, and it does it well. I wonder what "lifters" would say about speed. Can you go faster with a lift, or is the VX still very tight? (If you want to move fast over rough terrain, remove all change from the ashtray, and remove any key attachments.... turn the CD player off. I don't suggest speed. It is not what the VX is about)

I say this because for me, while climbing mountains.... speed is essential at 4 in the morning while trying to get an early start at the trailhead that is 6 miles of hellishly awesome "road" away.

I know what dealers might have to say about the lifting, but what has been the direct experience of anyone wanting warranty work while presenting a lifted VX?

I want to lift. I want to lift. I want to lift.... but I don't want to lift.

3-1

I guess a lift is in order!

darsh