PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Dr. McCoy for my VX

jtirado
12/17/2011, 07:52 AM
Looking for a Mechanic that I can trust with my VX. Usually if I go to a Firestone or AAMCO, their work is guranteed, but the problem is they're only willing to handle certain issues due to the age and mileage of the car.

I'm in Queens, New York...if there's anyone else out there that could recommend someone that's experienced with the VX, would be greatl appreciated. Right now, the biggest issue I have is my VX is the timing. When I'm acelerating quickly, shifts gears better than when I'm driving more slowly. Trust me, I can feel when the car shifts between gears and there's usually a slight jolt. I feel like I expend so much more gas because of this. I've recently changed all (4) O2 sensors...but I don't feel the power this car should have. My brother's PT crusier is the opposite, really responsive and shifts quickly. Mind you, both cars are automatic.

At this point, too much guess work, just want my VX to find its Mojo and regain whatever it is that it lost. I've checked my transmission, thankfully it's not slipping and it's intact - Fellow VXer's, let me know your thoughts...

Thank you for reading...

89Vette
12/17/2011, 08:25 AM
Shifts with a jolt sound more like a transmission issue. Maybe the converter is going bad and you need a better transmission shop for diagnosis.

Timing isn't something that changes on newer cars. Unless you have lots and lots of miles and need the valves adjusted. According to the local mechanics around here, the 6VE engine rarely needs to have that 100k mile valve adjustment -- to perform well.

It can't hurt if you want to spend the money, but it's usually not necessary for continued service.

Obviously, I'm not answering your question because I don't live in your area to point you to a mechanic. You only need to find someone familiar with Isuzu's vs the VX. Because it shares mechanics with the Trooper/Rodeo, it's not really a mechanic's mystery.

Y33TREKker
12/17/2011, 08:28 AM
You might try contacting member Gussie2000 for his suggestions for a local VX medic. Looks like he's even in your general neighborhood just south on the Van Wyck.