View Full Version : New to VX

jinsoku3g
12/05/2011, 04:26 PM
Hello all, I'm looking into getting a VX very shortly, was wondering if you had any tips on what to look out for and what to expect? I'm a complete n00b, coming from an 06 Pontiac Solstice. I recently found a 99 VX, silver, red/black interior with 140k on the clock for about $5k. Going to check it out Saturday. Thanks!

bearandbee
12/05/2011, 04:32 PM
There is a good pre purchase check list on the forum and loads of info. Enjoy and welcome!

JoFotoz
12/05/2011, 04:52 PM
This list should help...

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19664&highlight=limited+production+numbers

Some of the biggies are:-

Oil consumption
ABS ..working or dash light on...make sure it at least flashes..
... so you know the bulb is there!
Rust...especially tube bumper under front cladding.
TOD..working..no check light.
Driver and Passenger windows ..roll up/down properly.
Matching tires with matching tread life.

ETC...!

Hope this helps..good hunting!

jo

jo

PA-99
12/05/2011, 05:31 PM
Another addition to the list above is checking for wet floors. This can be much more difficult and expensive to fix than the passenger side window issue, which is on the easier side.

Pick up the floor mats (if exist) on the driver's and passenger's side and press down hard on the carpet to feel for any moisture. Purchasing a VX with this issue is not the end of the world, just read on the forum as much as you can about the problem and make sure you get as much info from the owner as possible.

I've never seen such a helpful group of people willing to do whatever they can to assist each other. If you do decide to buy, you're in great hands here!

Jeff

jinsoku3g
12/05/2011, 08:48 PM
Awesome checklist, and I will definitely check for moisture. I think this checklist printed out will surely help me intimidate the car lot it's at too in getting a great deal too bwhaha I've been lurking your forums for a few days and it seems like a very tight group of owners who are really happy with their cars. A good transition from the tight group that solstice owners are as well. :)

VX KAT
12/05/2011, 09:29 PM
Welcome!
Here's a post with a bunch of info to know about the VX.
After this we developed an actual checklist with even more details of common or known issues.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=186141#post186141

Here's the checklist bearandbee mentioned in post #2.
It's fairly comprehensive and definitely will give you a lot of areas to look into and questions to ask.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=210436&postcount=3

Then some of us went crazy and created a MUCH longer version...100 questions :freek:! It's the link JoFotoz attached above. We pretty much decided it was just too long and involved, but check it out, you can at least review it.

Here's a collection of threads about oil consumption issues, theories, etc...
The OIL ISSUE is VERY IMPORTANT to be aware of and to check very frequently:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=216316&postcount=7

Good luck in your search! :thumbup:

jinsoku3g
12/06/2011, 09:02 PM
So if Oil consumption is present, it just means more frequent oil changes really , right? The g35 had the same issue and as far as I know it didn't effect anything but checking a lot. Is there a way to tell if no records are present?

VX KAT
12/06/2011, 09:20 PM
So if Oil consumption is present, it just means more frequent oil changes really , right? The g35 had the same issue and as far as I know it didn't effect anything but checking a lot. Is there a way to tell if no records are present?

NO, not exactly....!....if you find oil consumption you MUST ADD OIL whenever it's low....DON'T wait until an oil change...it could blow up by then....:freek:

Most of us have no service history on our VXs....so ....
you immediately start checking the oil very very frequently, under different conditions, and at every fill up, until you determine IF yours is consuming any oil.

For example, mine only consumes a little if I drive highway speeds for 4-6+ hrs straight.....but none at any other time. Some find it consumes oil as it approaches it's oil change interval.

Others report much more, some much less and some none....and in all different kinds of driving situations.
This survey is probably the most informative....obviously not scientific survey but gives you some idea of what owners are seeing.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17228&highlight=engine+oil+poll

BigSwede
12/07/2011, 06:49 AM
Technically, I have read that if you are burning oil regularly you should be able the change the oil less frequently, as the new oil you are adding will replenish the additives and such in the mix...not that I am advocating stretching change intervals for that reason, it's not worth saving a few bux in my opinion.

jinsoku3g
12/09/2011, 06:58 PM
Ill play it safe nand stay on top of it lol. Tlmorrow i test drive it, so lets hope it fits me well. You may have a new owner to get annoyed by hehe