PDA

View Full Version : Help! Won't start

ISCE
10/05/2003, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

This morning went to start my VX and all I get is a rapid clicking sound. Engine doesn't even try to turn over. I checked the battery cables, verified my lights weren't left on. Seems I am getting power, my interior lights come on.

What could/would this be, any ideas?

Thanks!
Jay

johnnyapollo
10/05/2003, 09:59 AM
Could be a few things:

1. Dead cell in battery keeping you from getting enough charge to the starter.

2. Bad Bendix

3. Bad Starter

It takes much less juice to get your lights on than it does to get the motor started. Try jump starting it and see if it starts up as normal. If it does, it's probably the battery. You can take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have it tested. My OEM battery had a dead cell at 33k miles.

-- John

ISCE
10/05/2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks John,

I jumped it and it started right up. I have no idea as to why my battery would die. I've had my VX for just over a year, and only 10K miles. I will take it to Pep Boys and have them check the battery.

Jay

ISCE
10/05/2003, 12:05 PM
Just got back from PepBoys. Battery and altenator checks out fine. He is convinced it is an electrical problem somewhere else.

I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Any other ideas as to what they should look at?

Thanks!
Jay

johnnyapollo
10/05/2003, 01:19 PM
If your alternator and battery check out and the jump worked, it sounds like the battery got drained by something, either a device or bad ground. Keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it happens again. If you continue to have a problem, look for any add-on circuits, like for running lights or any additional equipment. The culprit is usually something like that rather than an OEM circuit.

I had the battery drained once when I took the VX in to a full service car wash. When they were wiping out the interior, they left the map lights on in the mirror. Sat all day with them on, then over night (I hadn't left the house or I would have noticed it). The overnight drain was enough to discharge the battery to the point where it wouldn't start.

If all else fails, you can have an auto electrician put a meter on your battery when you car is shut down, see what type of current draw may still be there (should be some load there if your alarm is on). I'm not sure what it's supposed to read, but I seem to remember another thread where it's discussed? Anyone?

-- John

Joe_Black
10/05/2003, 04:50 PM
If you've got the OEM battery they're notorious for lasting less than a year. If you have another vehicle you could swap batteries and see if the problem follows the battery. An excellent replacement is an Optima Red Top, probably the best battery known.

ThirtyftFL
10/05/2003, 10:33 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Replaced the battery and it's been fine since. My terminals were also sizzleing after trying to start it. I'd go with a battery mine was 18 months old when it happened.

Navigator
10/06/2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by ISCE
Just got back from PepBoys. Battery and altenator checks out fine. He is convinced it is an electrical problem somewhere else.

I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Any other ideas as to what they should look at?

Thanks!
Jay

Has anything electrical been modified? Stereo, amp, lights, horns, etc? Has it been sitting for a long time? days, weeks, months, etc... Try Al Packer, best local dealer we've got :D

ISCE
10/06/2003, 06:56 AM
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I called Al Packer, but he wasn't sure if he could get me in today so I just went and bought a new battery. I couldn't be without a ride for the next two days.

Tried several places but couldn't find a Red Top, ended up getting the best one I could buy. After putting it in it started right up.

I do have a GPS and seat vibrator/heater. Had the GPS for almost a year, and the seat vib for maybe a month. My theory is that leaving them plugged in even though they were off must have been draining the battery. I will now keep them unplugged when not in use. Actually, won't use them for a while to make for sure something else isn't draining the battery.

I suspect the seat vib must have either really drained the battery or had a constant drain even when off but plugged in. With all the other advice and searching on the VX dead battery I am convinced it was just the battery.

Thanks again everyone!
Jay

Joe_Black
10/06/2003, 11:19 AM
Glad to hear it! Pity you couldn't get the Optima, those things are awesome! Just goes to show how hard it is for most to diagnose a bad battery, especially the maintenance-free types.

Green Dragon
10/06/2003, 12:12 PM
When you change the Battery- Change the battery terminals as well. The Isuzu OEM terminals are notorious for being loose fitting & difficult to keep tight.

Dallas4u
10/06/2003, 12:15 PM
Who makes the Isuzu OEM battery? When I bought mine used it came with an Interstate battery, which has been fine.

Just interested if I have an OEM, or if mine's been replaced?

johnnyapollo
10/06/2003, 01:01 PM
Mine had a Japanese brand, like Fujitsu (or something like that - don't remember exactly). Lated 31k miles then a cell went bad.

--John

ISCE
10/06/2003, 01:01 PM
My OEM battery says Panasonic on the side.

Joe_Black
10/06/2003, 01:57 PM
I think I had a FUJI or somesuch, but it's in the Ford 3000 tractor now as I kept the Optima Yellow Top from my Trooper RS and swapped it as soon as I got home from the dealership with the VX. I know of a few people who had similar problems with OEM batteries in several new Toyotas as well. Kathy's '01 Trooper's OEM battery just went kaput at about 23K miles recently and got a Red Top replacement. Not a lick o' trouble since!

Dallas4u
10/06/2003, 02:14 PM
By the way, for you Optima folks out there (as I may be as soon as I need a new battery), AutoZone (at least the one close to me) carrys Optima batteries. I see the display all the time, but there are no prices on display, so I haven't paid much attention.

Hiss
10/06/2003, 02:40 PM
I bought mine new and it came with a Delco Professional 6yr battery. Iwonder how long it will last?:confused:

2K1 1K2
12/07/2003, 11:15 PM
hello, all.
thought i'd have a chance to pop in at the Schaumburg soiree (sp?) on sunday. unfortunately, the VX was under the weather. went to start it up and... no go! wouldn't turn over (very faint) - sounded as if it wasn't getting any fuel. checked the fuses and found all were ok. proceeded to check the battery eye and it appeared to be ok (blue - per the battery sticker pic). i was stunned and thought - alternator. :waab:
came in looked up search here and at club vmag and found that others have had bad batteries even if it showed ok w/ blue eye.
went out and jumped my battery w/ my wife's Xterra, let it run for awhile, shut off/on a few times (would start right up) and came back inside. went back outside to start the VX about 2 hours later and again the battery was weak (wouldn't turn over).

i've got the original battery w/ less than 13k miles. i know these weren't the best batteries, but..

-can i confidently rule out the alternator (or still treat it as suspect?) and head to costco simply to purchase the battery or should i just drive over to autozone for a test of the battery and alternator? any risk in them checking these and damaging anything on my baby?

thanks to all and sorry for the rambling.

-jose

johnnyapollo
12/08/2003, 03:53 AM
Hey Jose,

Get it tested first. Mine went bad with the blue indicator (1 cell was dead). New battery and she was good as new.

-- John

AREA 51
12/08/2003, 06:45 AM
If it ran on its own after jumping, it was probably running off the alternator then. Your alternator is most likely fine.

2K1 1K2
12/08/2003, 09:23 PM
johnnyapollo and AREA 51 -

thanks for your replies. i'm hoping to get some free time w/in the next couple of days to drive over to Autozone and get battery/alternator checked out (no charge).
will keep you guys posted.

-jose

2K1 1K2
12/14/2003, 03:20 PM
hello all.
good news - OEM battery replaced and the VX is as good as new.

VROOM, VROOM, VROOOOMMMMM!

i replaced it with a Kirkland battery (model# 12860) CA 1000 CCA 900 which cost $60. available at Costco. it's got a 100 month limited warranty. first 3 yrs have a free replacement. months of useage and percent refunded breakdown is as follows (in case anyone wants to know):

37-45 mth 60% 46-55 mth 50% 56-65 mth 40%
66-75 mth 30% 76-85 mth 20% 86-95 mth 10%
96-100 mth 5%

thanks, again, to those who responded to my post.

-jose