PDA

View Full Version : front end noise

takentolightly
11/30/2011, 03:29 PM
Got new springs for the rear of my vx yesterday, off a trooper, worked great old ones were super saggy. Anyways, it lifted the rear higher up, so I cranked up the torsion bars to get a little less rake. So no I have a grinding under acceleration especially noticeable while in light corners, say powering on in a bend.

takentolightly
11/30/2011, 03:36 PM
It seems to do it more when turning left and the left front wheel is unloaded slightly AND under power. Not under braking, or turning right as far as I know. I'm going to do the simple thing and lower the front back down tonight, that's the only difference between yesterday and today that could possibly make noise...

MSHardeman
11/30/2011, 05:58 PM
The CV's on the front axles might complain a bit due to the new angles that they are working at.

Did you get the front end aligned after cranking the torsion bars? If not, there could be some noise due to the angle of the front wheels.

Are your CV boots in one piece, or are they torn? If they are torn (and have been for a while) then dirt and gunk may have gotten into the CV's and that is the grinding you are hearing.

JoFotoz
11/30/2011, 06:19 PM
Check to see if you are getting some rubbing on the lower edge of your front cladding...if so just trim a little with a box cutter.

jo

Triathlete
11/30/2011, 07:24 PM
X2 what Mark and Jo said!

MSHardeman
12/01/2011, 07:52 AM
Could also be a front wheel bearing going bad. They will make a grinding noise/feel, particularly when turning, if they are on their way out.

takentolightly
12/01/2011, 11:50 AM
I lowered it back down one inch and I cannot reproduce the noise. I think I was topping out the shock with the suspension turned up so high. The CVs see more extreme angles while in travel they shouldn't make noise, one is new the other frshly booted. My tires didn't rub because they're only 255/70/16's overall height of 30.5". Thanks for all the replies though, I'm positive its my shocks.

MSHardeman
12/01/2011, 12:41 PM
Are you running the stock shocks? When I lifted mine 2 1/2" to 3" I was running the stock shocks and never had a problem with them maxing out and making noise.

Hmmmm, at least you know where the noise is coming from, and as long as you don't mind the raked look all is well.