PDA

View Full Version : Dome Light doesn't turn on with driver door

eblank
11/28/2011, 04:28 PM
So since I bought my vx this spring, the dome light hasn't worked with the drivers door. It goes on and turns off as it should with the passenger door, but does not react at all to the drivers door. It also works fine when you push it on and off. I replaced the switch that the door hits on the door frame and checked its ground but it made no difference. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I start chasing wires with a voltmeter?

tom4bren
11/29/2011, 01:56 PM
Sorry I can't help you but please post your results since mine hasn't worked in years.

DaveMcKenz
11/30/2011, 06:45 AM
Hi,
Since I have had my interior apart, I added a rear gate pin switch. The driver's side door switch sends a ground signal to the dome light and alarm circuit when the door is open. If your switch is good, and you have a good ground, then your signal is not reaching the light/alarm circuit. If you cannot trace the wire all the way through its harness, which I doubt, then you could run a jumper wire from the driver's side switch to the passenger side switch and let the ground signal get there through it. I think there is only one wire going into each switch. If there are two, one is ground and one is ground only with door open. Just find the switched ground, and connect with 18 ga. wire from one side to the other, under the carpet.
Good luck,
Dave

eblank
11/30/2011, 03:52 PM
Great Idea. Thanks! yeah the problem is definitely before it reaches the switch, because I should be able to operate the light just by touching the positive to the frame and I can't.

Tom, does one of your doors turn on the light? or do neither of them work?